Finally, the Once Upon a Time Season 2 Promo -- And It's Pure Magic

ABC, as hoped-slash-expected, capped its Sunday marathon of four formative Once Upon a Time episodes by unleashing, at long last, the first full trailer for Season 2 — and it is magically delicious.

RELATED | Fall TV Spectacular: Scoop on Once Upon a Time‘s New Snow/Charming Dilemma, Plus Spoilers on 46 Other Returning Shows

Yes, you get a smattering of “happily ever after” — look at Snow reunite with the dwarfs in Storybrooke! — but the bulk of the promo is bubbling over with high drama and one very evil Evil Queen who’s obviously champing at the bit to wield magic again.

You’ll also catch sight of some new recurring faces for the sophomore run, including Sleeping Beauty (The Tudors‘ Sarah Bolger) with Prince Phillip (Pretty Little Liars‘ Julian Morris), and Mulan (Samurai Girl‘s Jamie Chung). And there’s that hook again….

It would also seem that with Emilie de Ravin’s promotion to series regular, Belle’s hair got a conditioning treatment. (Or maybe that was a side effect of the purple smoke?) Whatever the case, the beauty seems concerned that Rumple’s thirst for vengeance will turn him into a beast.

Conversation topic: So, who is Dr. Whale really, that he seems to be standing dutifully at the Evil Mayor’s side when she fends off the villagers with what for a second appears to be the Crane Stance?

RELATED | Matt’s Inside Line: Once Upon a Time‘s Mad Hatter Returns

Press PLAY below to see it all for yourself — courtesy of the industrious folks at YouTube.com/TelevisionPromos — and tune in Sunday, Sept. 30 for the season premiere.

1. Jenner says:

Squeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks AMAZING!!!!!!!

2. veronic says:

Charming family together.
    I can die in peace
    LOL

3. Gold is still human, the faeries are still nuns, Red isn’t a wolf… there’s more to the curse than what’s been let on. It’s not broken yet, they’ve just regained their memories, but they’re still trapped and still human. I hope someone makes note of this in the show and they try to explore why… that said, Pinocchio is a wooden boy again. Why did he regress while everyone is still changed?

4. Heather says:

Season two cannot get here fast enough for me, LOL ;) Thanks for posting the promo video here and I’m glad you’re as excited about the upcoming season as I am right now! =D

5. Brenna says:

Loving the Rumbelle!!!!!!! can it be the 30th already?!!??!?!?!?!? :)

6. veronic says:

And Josh Dallas is hot as always¡¡¡

7. MyReligionIsWhovian says:

So ready for this show! Can’t wait to see Emma reunited with her parents.

8. BelleRumpleFan says:

I noticed the same thing about Belle’s hair lol

9. Cory says:

This show is the best thing to come on T.V. in ages!

From the looks of things, the scene outside of her house when she is confronted by the people, there maybe a little delay in the magic part because nothing happens.

As for Dr. Whale, I’m still a bit shy in the dark about him. He’s next to her at one point in the trailer, but in the next it looks like he’s helping Emma, you can see her blurry in the background when he swings some sort of weapon (not the blonde hair and red jacket)

Also, I wonder about Henry and Regina’s relationship. Yeah, she’s a villain, but she really does love him. (not to say she wouldn’t hurt him, I mean she did cut out her father’s own heart)

• Mike says:

I noticed that as well, I think I read somewhere that magic doesn’t exactly work the same as Regina remembers, so it should be interesting to see whats different.

• Cory says:

Well we can already see towards the end of the trailer she figures it out considering she throws a guy with just the wave of her hand. I wonder if her old soldiers will fall back in line or if she has to get new ones… I wonder what this means for Sidney Glass… and furthermore what kind of effect this is going to have on the rest of the world surrounding Storybrooke…

10. Nerwen Aldarion says:

Well the game on facebook mentions that Dr. Whale as a “God complex” which makes me wonder if he could be somehow related to mythology. Maybe he’s Neptune or Triton or something…

• Sabina says:

I saw that too in the facebook game! But I think that Dr. Whale is HADES! Based on mythology another name for Hades, God of the Underworld is “Orcus” which means killer and is where we derive the name for killer whales (orcas)! It all fits!

11. O M G. I am so excited. I’m also so glad they got rid of that wig of belle’s that looked like it could stand on it’s own

12. adam says:

yayyyyyyyyyyyyy

13. Mike says:

Is it just me, or does Belle look much hotter this season. Can’t wait until September 30.

14. Legman83 says:

At the end of season 1 it’s never said the curse was broken. It’s just stated that magic has come to storybrooke. So that would explain why everyone still looks like their real would counter parts. It will also explain why everyone can remember the fairy world.

15. greysfan says:

OMG! So excited for this. Season 2 is going to go off! Love that promo and not many days left now :)

16. bordoc says:

Really excited, i have a full movie of season yet havent got time to finish it, now season2 is coming, i should make haste watching it.

season2 is coming. yeheyyy!!!!!!

17. AhDam says:

Sooo fraking excited for this!! It’s interesting to note at the end of series one when everyone remembered, Dr Whale was sat down looking distaught AND the Blue fairy came over to him, showing no fear but more concerned…After seeing that I don’t think hes a baddie

• Kelly says:

Everyone expects him to be a baddie and the actor is known for playing baddies, I think it would be great if they switched it up and he wasn’t a bad guy. That being said I don’t exactly trust the blue fairy.

18. Elyse says:

i can’t freaking wait!!!

19. Gerald says:

Its beyond me why can’t the give Revenge the same treatment in terms of a trailer… The Revenge trailer had like 5 seconds of new footage, most of it was just of the first season.

• iMember says:

I agree! I am really hoping we get a new trailer for Revenge that has more than just 5 seconds of new footage at the end. Season 2 of Revenge is going to be amazing! And other than Once, it was ABC’s other break out hit last season in its time period. And in my opinion, the best show on television right now! ABC Sundays are going to be AWESOME with Once, Revenge, and 666.

• david says:

They said that they are trying to keep the big revenge opening a secret (like last years fire and ice ball where ‘daniel’ got shot) having said that, I’m willing to be that revenge will release a new trailer by next sunday night :)

• iMember says:

Most Revengees know what the opening act of Season 2 will be. But if not, then… [SPOILER] Like the Fire & Ice Party, it will open up to I think Emily’s wedding where much like Season 1 disaster will strike and that will be out mystery like who got shot last season. I can’t wait!!!

• tp says:

Next Sunday is a Revenge marathon. You’ll probably see something then.

20. Ariel says:

Where is Dr. Whale in the trailer? I watched it a bunch of times and still don’t see him anywhere.

21. gossip2010 says:

can’t wait to see the charming reunion ! it’s gonna be a great season again

22. Jenna says:

Looks awesome!

23. Ruth says:

AMAZING!! Thanks for posting with you tube!! and take the horrible restrictions!!

24. lena says:

I can’t wait for this show to start. Sept 30th can’t get here fast enough. YAY!!!!

25. Templar says:

Still no mention of Henry’s father, except some time ago they said it’s someone we’ve already seen. I wish they hadn’t wasted Warren Christie as the bail jumper in the pilot because Jared Gilmore sort of resembles him. I’m off to the UK today, but will be back before the season premiere, so will have some welcome distractions to make the time go faster.

26. Cory says:

I’m sure that Henry’s father is Bae (Rumble’s Son)… and hopefully they’ll bring him on screen or show us more about what happened to Bae this season.

• Templar says:

But it will have to be a different actor than the one who played Rumpel’s son, right? Because he would be too young. Jorge Garcia is playing the beanstalk giant and I’m assuming that’s the beanstalk Bae traveled on.

27. Katherine215 says:

Was anyone else holding out a little bit of hope that they would somehow bring the Huntsman back? I mean, if resurrecting someone from the dead would be plausible on any show, it would be Once, right?

• AhDam says:

I think Daniel should be resurected but re-introduced as the Tinman

• Erin says:

I agree. I was rewatched his last episode over the weekend and forgot just how much I missed him. It’s even worse in retrospect because his death didn’t actually provide any forward momentum. It was such a waste. And that 10 second cameo in the finale didn’t make it any better.

• Elizabeth says:

I wish they would bring him back. If they developed his character more, he could easily become one of the most interesting perspectives on the show.

• Templar says:

I’m fairly sure Maleficent is going to rise from the ashes, so maybe Daniel and Graham can be resurrected as well. Fingers crossed, because the only thing I can imagine softening Regina is the reappearance of Daniel.

• Zwiz says:

But Maleficent had magic and she had transformed into a dragon. The guys were just regular dudes with no magic that we know of. Magic makes a difference I think. I would like to see more of Daniel though. So maybe they can find a loophole for him.

• weizy says:

the producers said that for maleficent they didn’t actually see a body hinting she may not have died but the other two graham and daniel are dead and i don’t think they will resurrected only in flashbacks sadly but i love their characters. plus daniel will be in the next season at some point probs in a flash back

• Kelly says:

I would love for graham to come back. When they brought the apple through last season, I thought for sure Graham would return to storybrooke from the past. I also wonder when the whistle he gave snow will be used.

• Patti says:

I was not in to Daniel. I found him and Regina and her hatred of Snow instead of her mom kinda lame but I do hope to see Graham back. I really loved him as a character and thought he and Emma might have true love.

28. rachelle says:

yeah, i’m just gonna go ahead and pass out from all this awesomeness now…

29. I2010 says:

Great promo! I can’t wait for the new season. I can’t wait for their take on Sleeping Beauty and the flashback with Regina riding through the forest looks exciting. Good to see Ruby/Red and Granny too. Dr. Whale’s identity is a real mystery to me. The name must be a clue, but I’m still drawing a blank.

30. Alex says:

I missed the Evil Queen! Love her!

31. Brenna says:

Yes, I won’t give up hope that they’ll bring Graham/the Huntsman back into the story. He could easily be one of the most interesting characters. His story has so much that could be told.

32. Binx324 says:

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Super excited to see this show again!!

33. John says:

Reminded that “Charming” was a Snow snark, delivered with just the right amount of disdain.

34. Kelly says:

I am so excited. Love the charming family reunion and Rumplestilstkin/Belle. Kinda disappointed that Regina is having such an easy time using magic in our world but maybe she’ll pay magic’s price for wielding so carefree in the commercial.

35. Lea says:

So excited for Rumbelle! Belle and Mr. Gold are my favorites!!

36. EvilRegal says:

Regina still runs that place! I live for her, go ahead Rumple and Regina, burn Stirybrooke to the ground! Charmings watch out, Magic has come into the gameplan! I got news for you, it’s going down!

37. liz says:

I think Dr. Whale is Dr. Frankenstein. All the clues fit…
    I think the best clue is in the Singlebrooke Dating Service video where Dr. Whale describes himself as good at MAKING friends (emphasis mine).

What does he want in a woman? He doesn’t want stuck-ups or prudes, every lady will get a dinner at Granny’s, a single carnation (def. the color of human flesh – root word flesh), a visit to my condo where I will play the very best of Sting (Sting appeared as “Charles” Frankenstein in 1985’s The Bride), and the sparks will fly (electricity that brings creatures to life).

Frankenstein and the Bride of Frankenstein were directed by James WHALE.

Dr. Whale wears white when he is a doctor, black when he was with Mary Margaret (checking out Ruby) and when he was trying to pick up Ruby under the streetlight.

Inflated sense of self.

Classic “God complex” (classic could refer to classic literature)(Dr. Frankenstein played God and brought things to life).

Frames himself as victor in all conflicts (frame def. – To build by putting together the structural parts of; construct/The structure of a human or animal body; physique)(victor – victor Frankenstein)(conflicts – 1. A state of open, often prolonged fighting; a battle or war.)

Feels persecuted and misunderstood – paranoid.

Physician

And yet another connection between Dr. Whale and Dr. Frankenstein. The flowers that Dr. Whale sent to Mary Margaret bear a striking resemblance to Frankenstein’s monster on the cover of the Marvel Comic Book, The Monster of Frankenstein. The monster is a pale purple with yellow tape/cord loosely wrapped around his body. The flowers are wrapped in pale purple with bands of yellow ribbon (?) wrapped around it in a loose fashion. We’ve been told Marvel characters could make an appearance. And Dr. Whale has a striking resemblance to Marvel’s Dr. Frankenstein. For that case, the ogre looks a lot like the monster.

38. Della Soulsby says:

Can’t wait for the new series to arrive in the UK my Sunday night has never been the same I need some new American friends to keep my up to date lol

39. Wendy says:

Im wondering about rumples son! At the end of season 1 I thought he was gonna use the well to have him back. Maybe he will. Let’s hope so.

40. becca says:

Can’t wait! I wonder about a lot of things on this show. What happened to Bae (Baelfire?) Who is Dr. Whale? How did Regina get her powers? What happened to Cora? What happened to Hansel and Gretel? And at the end of the Cinderella flashback, her prince went missing, because, “All magic comes with a price.” So what happened to him? Who is Henry’s dad? What happened to August? Will Red turn into a wolf? Will Paige (Grace) be reunited with her Jefferson (Mad Hatter)? Will there be a Alice (Alice in Wonderland) show or flashback? What about neverland? What will Emma think about magic? I have so many questions. There are so many theories out there. Pretty much anything is possible with this show. They (the writers) could probably make Graham or Daniel come back to life if they wanted. I have no doubt that OUaT season two will be just as good as season one, if not better.

41. KC says:

I absolutely love this show….but….where is Mulan coming from? and actually Wonderland & the Mad Hatter? While these are Disneyfied movies and such..they aren’t Once Upon a Time stories. Guess they need to get in some racial diversity…when do Ali and Jasmine make their appearance?

42. Alicia says:

The curse was to take their happiness away, and that Regina did. By taking away their memories and playing pawns with the town. They aren’t in their home world thus why they are not different.

Rumple told Belle the well ‘returns what was once lost’ and he wanted power, magic. Regina has those things too. I imagine if Emma/Henry/Regina etc wish for August/Graham/Daniel to come back then maybe they will. But in another form.

43. Pandarr says: