Fall TV Preview

Finally, the Once Upon a Time Season 2 Promo — And It's Pure Magic

ABC, as hoped-slash-expected, capped its Sunday marathon of four formative Once Upon a Time episodes by unleashing, at long last, the first full trailer for Season 2 — and it is magically delicious.

RELATED | Fall TV Spectacular: Scoop on Once Upon a Time‘s New Snow/Charming Dilemma, Plus Spoilers on 46 Other Returning Shows

Yes, you get a smattering of “happily ever after” — look at Snow reunite with the dwarfs in Storybrooke! — but the bulk of the promo is bubbling over with high drama and one very evil Evil Queen who’s obviously champing at the bit to wield magic again.

You’ll also catch sight of some new recurring faces for the sophomore run, including Sleeping Beauty (The Tudors‘ Sarah Bolger) with Prince Phillip (Pretty Little Liars‘ Julian Morris), and Mulan (Samurai Girl‘s Jamie Chung). And there’s that hook again….

It would also seem that with Emilie de Ravin’s promotion to series regular, Belle’s hair got a conditioning treatment. (Or maybe that was a side effect of the purple smoke?) Whatever the case, the beauty seems concerned that Rumple’s thirst for vengeance will turn him into a beast.

Conversation topic: So, who is Dr. Whale really, that he seems to be standing dutifully at the Evil Mayor’s side when she fends off the villagers with what for a second appears to be the Crane Stance?

RELATED | Matt’s Inside Line: Once Upon a Time‘s Mad Hatter Returns

Press PLAY below to see it all for yourself — courtesy of the industrious folks at YouTube.com/TelevisionPromos — and tune in Sunday, Sept. 30 for the season premiere.

Comments (87)

• Squeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks AMAZING!!!!!!!

Comment by Jenner – September 9, 2012 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ABC Sundays will be AMAZING! Once and Revenge (LOVE this show!), and I can’t wait to see 666 Park Avenue as well!

Comment by iMember – September 10, 2012 04:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ABC’s Sunday night lineup looks great! I can’t wait. I hope 666 Park Avenue won’t be a letdown like BCB.

Comment by Ann – September 10, 2012 07:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Charming family together.
    I can die in peace
    LOL

Comment by veronic – September 9, 2012 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gold is still human, the faeries are still nuns, Red isn’t a wolf… there’s more to the curse than what’s been let on. It’s not broken yet, they’ve just regained their memories, but they’re still trapped and still human. I hope someone makes note of this in the show and they try to explore why… that said, Pinocchio is a wooden boy again. Why did he regress while everyone is still changed?

Comment by Michael Sacal – September 9, 2012 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Pinochio was unaffected by the curse he escaped with baby Emma though the wardrobe, this he did not lose his magic and failed to keep his promise to the blue fairy, and he began to return to wood.

Comment by Mike – September 9, 2012 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ah. I’d forgotten.

Comment by Michael Sacal – September 9, 2012 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • And what about the wolf in the trailer, are you certain that it is not Red.

Comment by Mike – September 9, 2012 10:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yes, it is. That was Season 1 footage from Red-Handed.

Comment by sara – September 10, 2012 04:12 AM PDT
  • Season two cannot get here fast enough for me, LOL ;) Thanks for posting the promo video here and I’m glad you’re as excited about the upcoming season as I am right now! =D

Comment by Heather – September 9, 2012 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loving the Rumbelle!!!!!!! can it be the 30th already?!!??!?!?!?!? :)

Comment by Brenna – September 9, 2012 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I LOL’d at “Rumbelle”…

Comment by Delirious – September 10, 2012 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s the Rumpel/Belle mash up name

Comment by Omnomom – September 10, 2012 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I adore them. I can’t wait to see Belle adjust to the new world and see if Rumple can learn from his past mistakes and not repeat them.

Comment by Kelly – September 10, 2012 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And Josh Dallas is hot as always¡¡¡

Comment by veronic – September 9, 2012 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes he is. I hope to see him interact alot with Emma this season.

Comment by Patti – September 10, 2012 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So ready for this show! Can’t wait to see Emma reunited with her parents.

Comment by MyReligionIsWhovian – September 9, 2012 09:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am looking forward to that too. I hope she gets to interact equally with Charming and not just Snow.

Comment by Kelly – September 10, 2012 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YESSS

Comment by brandon – September 9, 2012 09:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I noticed the same thing about Belle’s hair lol

Comment by BelleRumpleFan – September 9, 2012 09:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is the best thing to come on T.V. in ages!

From the looks of things, the scene outside of her house when she is confronted by the people, there maybe a little delay in the magic part because nothing happens.

As for Dr. Whale, I’m still a bit shy in the dark about him. He’s next to her at one point in the trailer, but in the next it looks like he’s helping Emma, you can see her blurry in the background when he swings some sort of weapon (not the blonde hair and red jacket)

Also, I wonder about Henry and Regina’s relationship. Yeah, she’s a villain, but she really does love him. (not to say she wouldn’t hurt him, I mean she did cut out her father’s own heart)

Comment by Cory – September 9, 2012 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I noticed that as well, I think I read somewhere that magic doesn’t exactly work the same as Regina remembers, so it should be interesting to see whats different.

Comment by Mike – September 9, 2012 10:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well we can already see towards the end of the trailer she figures it out considering she throws a guy with just the wave of her hand. I wonder if her old soldiers will fall back in line or if she has to get new ones… I wonder what this means for Sidney Glass… and furthermore what kind of effect this is going to have on the rest of the world surrounding Storybrooke…

Comment by Cory – September 10, 2012 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well the game on facebook mentions that Dr. Whale as a “God complex” which makes me wonder if he could be somehow related to mythology. Maybe he’s Neptune or Triton or something…

Comment by Nerwen Aldarion – September 9, 2012 10:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I saw that too in the facebook game! But I think that Dr. Whale is HADES! Based on mythology another name for Hades, God of the Underworld is “Orcus” which means killer and is where we derive the name for killer whales (orcas)! It all fits!

Comment by Sabina – September 10, 2012 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Huh. I thought Orcus meant killer from Hades. As Hades is referred to as both a god and a place. But that’s a very good conclusion.

Comment by Templar – September 10, 2012 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It refers to both the place and the person: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orcus#section_1

And if this isn’t it I don’t know what else he could be based on their clues. Of course, they could just be trying to misdirect us and he’s someone completely different :/

Comment by Sabina – September 10, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • O M G. I am so excited. I’m also so glad they got rid of that wig of belle’s that looked like it could stand on it’s own

Comment by Lauren Kirsch – September 9, 2012 10:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yayyyyyyyyyyyyy

Comment by adam – September 9, 2012 10:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it just me, or does Belle look much hotter this season. Can’t wait until September 30.

Comment by Mike – September 9, 2012 10:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She is gorgeous and such a great actress.

Comment by Kelly – September 10, 2012 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • she is awesome.

Comment by Patti – September 10, 2012 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At the end of season 1 it’s never said the curse was broken. It’s just stated that magic has come to storybrooke. So that would explain why everyone still looks like their real would counter parts. It will also explain why everyone can remember the fairy world.

Comment by Legman83 – September 9, 2012 10:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG! So excited for this. Season 2 is going to go off! Love that promo and not many days left now :)

Comment by greysfan – September 9, 2012 11:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really excited, i have a full movie of season yet havent got time to finish it, now season2 is coming, i should make haste watching it.

season2 is coming. yeheyyy!!!!!!

Comment by bordoc – September 10, 2012 03:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sooo fraking excited for this!! It’s interesting to note at the end of series one when everyone remembered, Dr Whale was sat down looking distaught AND the Blue fairy came over to him, showing no fear but more concerned…After seeing that I don’t think hes a baddie

Comment by AhDam – September 10, 2012 04:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Everyone expects him to be a baddie and the actor is known for playing baddies, I think it would be great if they switched it up and he wasn’t a bad guy. That being said I don’t exactly trust the blue fairy.

Comment by Kelly – September 10, 2012 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i can’t freaking wait!!!

Comment by Elyse – September 10, 2012 04:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Its beyond me why can’t the give Revenge the same treatment in terms of a trailer… The Revenge trailer had like 5 seconds of new footage, most of it was just of the first season.

Comment by Gerald – September 10, 2012 04:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! I am really hoping we get a new trailer for Revenge that has more than just 5 seconds of new footage at the end. Season 2 of Revenge is going to be amazing! And other than Once, it was ABC’s other break out hit last season in its time period. And in my opinion, the best show on television right now! ABC Sundays are going to be AWESOME with Once, Revenge, and 666.

Comment by iMember – September 10, 2012 04:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They said that they are trying to keep the big revenge opening a secret (like last years fire and ice ball where ‘daniel’ got shot) having said that, I’m willing to be that revenge will release a new trailer by next sunday night :)

Comment by david – September 10, 2012 06:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Most Revengees know what the opening act of Season 2 will be. But if not, then… [SPOILER] Like the Fire & Ice Party, it will open up to I think Emily’s wedding where much like Season 1 disaster will strike and that will be out mystery like who got shot last season. I can’t wait!!!

Comment by iMember – September 10, 2012 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Next Sunday is a Revenge marathon. You’ll probably see something then.

Comment by tp – September 10, 2012 07:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where is Dr. Whale in the trailer? I watched it a bunch of times and still don’t see him anywhere.

Comment by Ariel – September 10, 2012 05:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • When the townsfolk at Regina’s doorstep cower en masse, Dr. Whale is on Regina’s right, not afraid at all but watching them.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – September 10, 2012 05:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • and he’s seen again swinging some kind of weapon with Emma and lots of fire behind him…

Comment by Cory – September 10, 2012 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No, that’s David/Charming.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – September 10, 2012 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • can’t wait to see the charming reunion ! it’s gonna be a great season again

Comment by gossip2010 – September 10, 2012 05:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks awesome!

Comment by Jenna – September 10, 2012 05:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AMAZING!! Thanks for posting with you tube!! and take the horrible restrictions!!

Comment by Ruth – September 10, 2012 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait for this show to start. Sept 30th can’t get here fast enough. YAY!!!!

Comment by lena – September 10, 2012 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still no mention of Henry’s father, except some time ago they said it’s someone we’ve already seen. I wish they hadn’t wasted Warren Christie as the bail jumper in the pilot because Jared Gilmore sort of resembles him. I’m off to the UK today, but will be back before the season premiere, so will have some welcome distractions to make the time go faster.

Comment by Templar – September 10, 2012 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sure that Henry’s father is Bae (Rumble’s Son)… and hopefully they’ll bring him on screen or show us more about what happened to Bae this season.

Comment by Cory – September 10, 2012 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But it will have to be a different actor than the one who played Rumpel’s son, right? Because he would be too young. Jorge Garcia is playing the beanstalk giant and I’m assuming that’s the beanstalk Bae traveled on.

Comment by Templar – September 10, 2012 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was anyone else holding out a little bit of hope that they would somehow bring the Huntsman back? I mean, if resurrecting someone from the dead would be plausible on any show, it would be Once, right?

Comment by Katherine215 – September 10, 2012 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Daniel should be resurected but re-introduced as the Tinman

Comment by AhDam – September 10, 2012 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah if they bring anyone back from the dead it should be Daniel.

Comment by I2010 – September 10, 2012 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I was rewatched his last episode over the weekend and forgot just how much I missed him. It’s even worse in retrospect because his death didn’t actually provide any forward momentum. It was such a waste. And that 10 second cameo in the finale didn’t make it any better.

Comment by Erin – September 10, 2012 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wish they would bring him back. If they developed his character more, he could easily become one of the most interesting perspectives on the show.

Comment by Elizabeth – September 10, 2012 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m fairly sure Maleficent is going to rise from the ashes, so maybe Daniel and Graham can be resurrected as well. Fingers crossed, because the only thing I can imagine softening Regina is the reappearance of Daniel.

Comment by Templar – September 10, 2012 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But Maleficent had magic and she had transformed into a dragon. The guys were just regular dudes with no magic that we know of. Magic makes a difference I think. I would like to see more of Daniel though. So maybe they can find a loophole for him.

Comment by Zwiz – September 10, 2012 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • True. But Snow was “killed” by magic as were Graham and Daniel. Snow has no magic, yet she survives, so maybe Graham’s and Daniel’s deaths are also reversible. Probably wishful thinking on my part.

Comment by Templar – September 10, 2012 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Snow wasn’t killed. She was put under a curse.

Comment by sara – September 10, 2012 04:44 PM PDT
        • I want more Daniel, too!

Comment by Sunny – September 10, 2012 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • the producers said that for maleficent they didn’t actually see a body hinting she may not have died but the other two graham and daniel are dead and i don’t think they will resurrected only in flashbacks sadly but i love their characters. plus daniel will be in the next season at some point probs in a flash back

Comment by weizy – September 12, 2012 06:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would love for graham to come back. When they brought the apple through last season, I thought for sure Graham would return to storybrooke from the past. I also wonder when the whistle he gave snow will be used.

Comment by Kelly – September 10, 2012 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was not in to Daniel. I found him and Regina and her hatred of Snow instead of her mom kinda lame but I do hope to see Graham back. I really loved him as a character and thought he and Emma might have true love.

Comment by Patti – September 10, 2012 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yeah, i’m just gonna go ahead and pass out from all this awesomeness now…

Comment by rachelle – September 10, 2012 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great promo! I can’t wait for the new season. I can’t wait for their take on Sleeping Beauty and the flashback with Regina riding through the forest looks exciting. Good to see Ruby/Red and Granny too. Dr. Whale’s identity is a real mystery to me. The name must be a clue, but I’m still drawing a blank.

Comment by I2010 – September 10, 2012 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I missed the Evil Queen! Love her!

Comment by Alex – September 10, 2012 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, I won’t give up hope that they’ll bring Graham/the Huntsman back into the story. He could easily be one of the most interesting characters. His story has so much that could be told.

Comment by Brenna – September 10, 2012 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Super excited to see this show again!!

Comment by Binx324 – September 10, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reminded that “Charming” was a Snow snark, delivered with just the right amount of disdain.

Comment by John – September 10, 2012 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so excited. Love the charming family reunion and Rumplestilstkin/Belle. Kinda disappointed that Regina is having such an easy time using magic in our world but maybe she’ll pay magic’s price for wielding so carefree in the commercial.

Comment by Kelly – September 10, 2012 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited for Rumbelle! Belle and Mr. Gold are my favorites!!

Comment by Lea – September 10, 2012 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Mine too

Comment by Patti – September 10, 2012 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Comment by Pandarr – September 27, 2012 05:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Regina still runs that place! I live for her, go ahead Rumple and Regina, burn Stirybrooke to the ground! Charmings watch out, Magic has come into the gameplan! I got news for you, it’s going down!

Comment by EvilRegal – September 10, 2012 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Dr. Whale is Dr. Frankenstein. All the clues fit…
    I think the best clue is in the Singlebrooke Dating Service video where Dr. Whale describes himself as good at MAKING friends (emphasis mine).

What does he want in a woman? He doesn’t want stuck-ups or prudes, every lady will get a dinner at Granny’s, a single carnation (def. the color of human flesh – root word flesh), a visit to my condo where I will play the very best of Sting (Sting appeared as “Charles” Frankenstein in 1985′s The Bride), and the sparks will fly (electricity that brings creatures to life).

Frankenstein and the Bride of Frankenstein were directed by James WHALE.

Dr. Whale wears white when he is a doctor, black when he was with Mary Margaret (checking out Ruby) and when he was trying to pick up Ruby under the streetlight.

Inflated sense of self.

Classic “God complex” (classic could refer to classic literature)(Dr. Frankenstein played God and brought things to life).

Frames himself as victor in all conflicts (frame def. – To build by putting together the structural parts of; construct/The structure of a human or animal body; physique)(victor – victor Frankenstein)(conflicts – 1. A state of open, often prolonged fighting; a battle or war.)

Feels persecuted and misunderstood – paranoid.

Physician

And yet another connection between Dr. Whale and Dr. Frankenstein. The flowers that Dr. Whale sent to Mary Margaret bear a striking resemblance to Frankenstein’s monster on the cover of the Marvel Comic Book, The Monster of Frankenstein. The monster is a pale purple with yellow tape/cord loosely wrapped around his body. The flowers are wrapped in pale purple with bands of yellow ribbon (?) wrapped around it in a loose fashion. We’ve been told Marvel characters could make an appearance. And Dr. Whale has a striking resemblance to Marvel’s Dr. Frankenstein. For that case, the ogre looks a lot like the monster.

Comment by liz – September 10, 2012 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for the new series to arrive in the UK my Sunday night has never been the same I need some new American friends to keep my up to date lol

Comment by Della Soulsby – September 12, 2012 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Im wondering about rumples son! At the end of season 1 I thought he was gonna use the well to have him back. Maybe he will. Let’s hope so.

Comment by Wendy – September 12, 2012 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait! I wonder about a lot of things on this show. What happened to Bae (Baelfire?) Who is Dr. Whale? How did Regina get her powers? What happened to Cora? What happened to Hansel and Gretel? And at the end of the Cinderella flashback, her prince went missing, because, “All magic comes with a price.” So what happened to him? Who is Henry’s dad? What happened to August? Will Red turn into a wolf? Will Paige (Grace) be reunited with her Jefferson (Mad Hatter)? Will there be a Alice (Alice in Wonderland) show or flashback? What about neverland? What will Emma think about magic? I have so many questions. There are so many theories out there. Pretty much anything is possible with this show. They (the writers) could probably make Graham or Daniel come back to life if they wanted. I have no doubt that OUaT season two will be just as good as season one, if not better.

Comment by becca – September 12, 2012 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely love this show….but….where is Mulan coming from? and actually Wonderland & the Mad Hatter? While these are Disneyfied movies and such..they aren’t Once Upon a Time stories. Guess they need to get in some racial diversity…when do Ali and Jasmine make their appearance?

Comment by KC – September 12, 2012 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The curse was to take their happiness away, and that Regina did. By taking away their memories and playing pawns with the town. They aren’t in their home world thus why they are not different.

Rumple told Belle the well ‘returns what was once lost’ and he wanted power, magic. Regina has those things too. I imagine if Emma/Henry/Regina etc wish for August/Graham/Daniel to come back then maybe they will. But in another form.

Comment by Alicia – September 13, 2012 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post