Private Practice: Alfre Woodard Is Sam's Mom

Does Private Practice‘s Sam have some exciting (maybe, say, engagement?) news to share with his family…? Because multiple Emmy winner Alfre Woodard has been cast as the good doctor’s mother.

RELATED | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Scoop on Private Practice and 45 Other Shows

According to EW.com, which first reported the casting, Woodard will guest-star in a November episode of the ABC drama, which kicks off Season 6 on Tuesday, Sept. 25 — at which point, toward hour’s end, we’ll learn how Sam’s marriage proposal to Addison netted out.

RELATED | Private Practice Scoop: A ‘Happy Ending’ for Addison! But Will the Show Go On Without Her?

Woodard over her career has amassed a total of 15 Emmy nominations and won four times, grabbed a Golden Globe (for the miniseries Miss Evers’ Boys) and earned an Academy Award nod (for 1983’s Cross Creek).

Her more recent TV credits include runs on True Blood (as Lafayette’s mother), Memphis Beat and Desperate Housewives.

1. Hmm… Shonda started casting Desperate Housewives alums – first Steven Culp for GA, now Alfre… Who is next? Maybe James Denton for Scandal…

2. Anna says:

Cool. I like her. Really hope she’s there because of the wedding. :)

3. interesting casting, well she has been on GA before so already a favourite in the shonda family.

4. Mirabel says:

I love Alfre. Don’t like Sam and his family stories though so that’s too bad.

5. Nicole says:

LOVE IT! great casting. and woohooo!! it better be because of Addisam wedding! Alfre is the perfect women to play Sam’s mother. cant wait baby!!

6. Hojana says:

stop beating the dead horse, this show is dead.

7. Walter says:

She’ll probably, I don’t know, be VISITING THE DAUGHTER SHE HASN’T SEEN IN FIFTEEN YEARS!! I cannot believe throughout the entire Corinne storyline last season no one bothered to tell her mother that she was even alive. Big plot hole if you ask me.

• samnaomie says:

Sam’s mother absence is just crazy, i mean when he talked to corribe about her, he seems that he and her were close, so one would wonders how could she be absent of the major event in her family, her grand daughter’s pregnancy, accident, wedding, giving birth etc… and of course when her daughter who she might has thought was dead at some point, reapears she is no where to be found, this is crazy… Sam has a lot of weakness but i can’t imagine him keeping her mom in the dark about her daughter… This is show is at 6.6 on imdb.com and its star is leaving it, because there is actually nothin more to tell about those characters, i t’s very weak!

I mean the entire Montgomery family has been in L.A., sometimes for reasons that were kind of stupid, but Shonda could not have Alfre or Angela basset as sam’s mom when it mattered??? Plot Holes!

8. Hannah says:

hope she hates Addison, she probably liked Naomi, they could addess the race issue (I mean some black women’s feeling that african-americans belong necessarely together, I know it’s not PC but it’s an opinion shared by many, myself not included )

• samnaomie says:

some white or some latinos or asiasn or jews believe that you should not marry outside of your ethnicity and/or religion it is not specific to black women

9. Juan says:

Well I really hope it’s because she has to see Corinne, not for a wedding, I don’t like Sam and addison

10. As long as I don’t see Corrine again, I’m fine with Sam’s mother coming to L.A. Honestly, Corrine’s storyline with Sam drove me up the wall last year and it only seemed like a way to keep Sam’s character interesting – ironically, it didn’t.

11. Joanna says:

So Sam & Lafayette are brothers! LOL.

12. How old is she? Sam’s gotta be in his mid 40s. She’s what? Mid fifths? She looks too young! That was a compliment to the actress. But bad casting, I think.

• samnaomie says:

if she has sam in her 20’s and he is in his lower 40’s then i guess we can assume she is 60, a 50 years old actress playing a 60 year old mother & grand mother by the way (who wasn’t invited at her grand daughter’s wedding by the way)

13. Thank you, Matt, for pointing out Woodard’s acclaim. I noticed that in the EW article they merely refer to her as “‘True Blood’ star” in the headline, which was rude. Alfre Woodard is a “name” actress.

14. I.m.watching.indian.naked.movis.or.youtub

15. coco says:

I hope this will play like real life drama because every mother thinks her son is too good for the other woman- Especially if Naomi comes back- hmmmm. Alfre is just the person to give Addison a run for her money if she were to choose Sam.