Simon Says NBC Pitting The Voice Vs. X Factor Is 'Dirty Tricks,' Frets Britney Will Be 'Devastated'

Simon Cowell, alleging that he had a “gentleman’s agreement” with NBC that The Voice and Fox’s The X Factor wouldn’t tread on each other’s turf, calls the Peacock’s decision to expand its singing show’s Season 3 premiere to a third night — thus pitting it against The X Factor‘s sophomore opener — is a “cynical, cold-hearted, unprofessional way of doing business.”

RELATED | Michael Slezak Suggests 8 Dream Hosts for The X Factor Season 2

“These guys have really got it in for us,” Cowell told TMZ, theorizing that The Voice is in a vengeful mood ever since it ventured across the pond only to get trounced by Cowell’s Britain’s Got Talent. “It’s nothing short of dirty tricks.”

RELATED | Emmys Poll: What Show Should Win Outstanding Reality Competition?

Cowell — making the leap that Voice coach Christina Aguilera had any say in the scheduling maneuver — proposes that new X Factor judge Britney Spears “is not going to appreciate the fact that Christina, who has been a bit of a rival, isn’t allowing Britney to have a night of her own…. [Britney]‘s going to be devastated, because she’s put her heart and soul into this.”

1. Simon playing the emotional Britney card, interesting.

Don’t buy it for a second, but still.

2. Greg says:

If it wasn’t for the superbowl, X factor would have had a higher average viewership than the Voice last year. And there has been several successful contestants that came out of the X factor who have gotten recording contacts and tv deals, yet no one can even remember the name of anyone who won the Voice. Never have understood why everyone is always saying that the X factor failed last year, the ratings American Idol had at its peak are not a reality anymore, no show could live up that. Looking forward to the new season, hope Britney brings in the viewers!

• Marsaili says:

I’ve not heard of anyone from the Voice OR X factor. Now, American Idol—there are Idols all over the place—neither X factor or the Voice will ever get recognition an Idol contestant gets.

3. Ben says:

Wow. Only 2% will watch something else.
    I feel sick.

4. Ally Oop says:

I’m watching something else. I liked X-Factor last year but when they cast annoying-untalented-skanky-barbiedollwannabe Britney Spears as a judge I said bye-bye. I didn’t think they could go worse than Nicole Scherzinger but they proved me wrong by going a lot worse.

• Jared says:

You do realize it’s about the talent on the show and not the judges. So if you liked a show because you like the talent competitions, then why would you not watch?

Makes a lot of sense.

• Rabbb says:

Bulldroppings! X-Factor is ONLY about the judges. You saying it isnt dosent make it true. The show is a love-fest for the judges and the contestants are secondary to the entire production. Case in point. The WINNER only gets $5m, one judge gets $15m another judge gets all the remaining profits.

Its ok to be honest, its better than pretending to pull “sense” out of thin air.

• PS says:

Because the judges are an excessive portion of any competitive reality show in this style. You’d have to be fast-forwarding an awful lot to only see the performers, and that’s a rather tiring way to watch TV — either way, the show is less fun overall.

• april-ann says:

I can see both sides here because I posted a comment last week about how a show of this nature should never be watched because of the judges alone. The article was about XFac and the question posed therein was will the choice of mentors alone make viewers watch. I made comparisons to AI and DWTS and my stance was that viewers should never watch such shows based on the judges alone because that would be unsustainable over time. A kind poster replied to my comment, quite articulately I might add, explaining to me how XFac works and how the judges are not judges but rather they are mentors and thus hold a much larger role than merely a “judge”. It made alot of sense to me and showed me that the XFac format is particularly different. Oh the things I learn here! I am grateful for, and appreciative of, a high quality television website. Come for the articles, stay for the comments (or is it come for the comments, stay for the articles? That was a lame attempt on a takeoff of “come for the atmosphere, stay for the food, lol.)

5. Kate says:

Simon is one to talk. He’s just a nasty, bitter man.

6. Jenny says:

How come both is not an option?! I’m watching both :))

• JC says:

Thank you. I am so tired of this “you can only pick one” mentality. Too many people think that in order to be a true fan of Show A you must despise Show B.

7. Jessi says:

The XF is just tacky and full of gimmicks. At least The Voice is actually about real talent and SINGING.

• Greg says:

Lol the Voice is one tired gimmick, and nothing else. The show is about the judges, no one cares about the contestants on it or their talent.

• Steve says:

Greg, could you please expand on the brain fart you just had? Quickly search the net and you’ll see that almost all the ones that were worth while (from season 1) are all doing great (look at their personal websites. Some are on tour, others making records. The next time you have useless and unfounded comment please keep them to yourself. There’s already enough jealous, envious and unaccomplished trash talking souls on the web, we don’t really care for another one.

• Emily says:

It’s really not. If we’re going to go there, AI probably wins that fight, and I don’t even like AI.

8. Ben says:

Simon accusing someone else of ‘dirty tricks’, now that’s a serious case of pot calling the kettle black. Here in the UK, he and ITV are always guilty of similar actions.

9. TigerNightmare says:

I can’t believe one of the most well-paid TV personalities is bellyaching about this of all things. Putting X Factor on top if Idol at all is, “nothing short of dirty tricks.” More scripted programming, less bloated competitions, PLEASE.

10. JKR says:

Oh, please. Apples and oranges. The Voice is all about Christina, Blake, Adam and Cee Lo….who’s had a successful song come out of the show? Dia Frampton got a bit of bounce ’cause she opened for Blake. But where are Beverly, Vicci and Javier? (Yes, I hate that I can remember this….)

11. John says:

Please Simon…It’s not like it was X-tina’s decision to move The Voice against The X-Factor

12. april-ann says:

I’m sure Simon Cowell achieved his level of success and got to where he is by always making important business decisions based on emotion only, lol.

13. Curly Girly says:

I will be watching The Voice over The X-Factor, but not because of X-Tina (actually can’t stand her). I prefer the format of The Voice over The X-Factor. Plus, ADAM LEVINE and BLAKE SHELTON!!!

14. TMW says:

Simon is in too much in a UK TV mindset over this. He could get away with bitching about this over there with a clash between the BBC’s The Voice and ITV’s The X Factor. It doesn’t wash here because it’s routine for scheduling clashes to occur. Over there they tend to be a lot more careful.

15. King says:

I’ll be watching other shows but I’m rooting for The Voice because Christina can sing, has a very powerful and versatile voice and is therefore a credible judge for a singing contest.

• Manie says:

And yet Britney had 3 times the numbers of #1. That’s why Simon chose her, because Britney never had the powerful voice but she has always been a master at entertaining, which Christina failed at. They are both in the right show, Christina judging on the “voice” is great for her, but Britney knows what the “x factor” in an artist is.

16. erin says:

I’m team X Factor. I can’t handle Christina’s histrionics and I’ve never been THAT impressed with the talent on The Voice. To me, The Voice already seems stale and it’s only in its third season. Looking at ratings (I’m a media buyer), the way that The Voice tanked week after week last season has me guessing that Simon doesn’t have as much to worry about as he may think.

17. Scott says:

Simon Cowell and a gentleman’s agreement? Since he’s no gentleman I doubt there’s much of an agreement.

18. Lili says:

He is promoting his show – and that’s it. All over the internet, you can read people talking about the premiere. I don’t think The Voice will have more ratings than The X-Factor and don’t think that having a bigger audience proves that your show is better.

After all, the most incredible shows on TV have modest numbers.

‘The Voice’ wants to become the #1 singing competition show by saying: Hey, we won.
    But everybody knows that only the blind auditions of The Voice work. The rest – including the live shows – are very weak. Nobody cares about the contestants. All the audience wants to see is the judges’ interaction. That’s why they haven’t produced a successful artist yet.

And with The X Factor airing on Weds and Thursdays, it will go against Survivor and the CBS comedies plus Modern Family. It’ll be way more difficult than The Voice’s competition.

I think it’s a dumb move by NBC. They should have only one The Voice per year airing it during the midseason. Otherwise they may just be killing its only golden eggs’ goose.

19. Timothy Taylor says:

Who really gives a tiny rats behind about Simon or Britney’s feelings?

20. liddad says:

Funny thing is, when The Voice started this January in the UK, he went on and on about how Britain’s got Talent would beat it and he HIMSELF convinced ITV to air it at the same time as The Voice because e was cocky. It ended up The Voice was more popular and Simon was forced to eat his words and move the air time of BGT after 3 shows.

Now he’s insulting the business of NBC for doing exactly what he did not ever a year ago.

I’m sick of Cowell and the way he treats his viewers/contestants. It’s time people stopped paying him for “coming up with ideas” which were clearly not his. (X factor was just a copy of Pop Idol, which ran for 3 years before X Factor started in the UK)

21. fact says:

Just for the record, The Voice UK intially beat Britain’s Got Talent badly, to the point where Simon Cowell changed the timeslot of it. Just a little semi-correction.

22. Mina says:

I love them both altho I admit Britney is more talented than Xtina. So Simon should stop talking for her.

23. Van says:

Did u say Britney is more talented than Christina? You must be hearing impaired…

24. Mikael says:

I think both shows are doing this on purpose to get people talking about either one! They’re reviving the Britney vs. Christina rivalry from circa 1999-2003 and the sad thing is that it’s working.

25. Dan says:

The voice won. I am so sick of Simon cowell, his tight gross shirts, his old accent, his tired face, his naggings. His total non style. Please enough. The voice has more focus on talent. I am sure the voice rejects will find success in x factor for other abilities than singing.

26. gailer says:

Is the X Factor on already? lol
    Simon, come back to Idol

27. Ty says:

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO Mad supporting the voice in the US was bundled with supporting Xtina. THAT was a dirty poll trick.