Private Practice Hires Matt Long to Play Doctor

Matt LongPrivate Practice is adding a new MD to its ranks.

Jack & Bobby alum Matt Long has been cast in a recurring role on Season 6 of the ABC drama, TVGuide.com reports.

PHOTOS | Exclusive Scoop on New Season of Private Practice — Plus 45 Other Shows!

Long, whose credits also include Mad Men, The Deep End and a guest-starring turn on this summer’s The Newsroom, will play a doctor at St. Ambrose hospital.

Private Practice returns to ABC on Tuesday, Sept. 25 at 10/9c.

1. Joan says:

If they’re hiring new people, what was the point of firing Tim Daly? They could have kept him as a guest star.

2. april-ann says:

I long for Matt Long. I fell in love with him in Jack and Bobby and loved him again so much in The Deep End. I lobbied for him to play Christopher (or maybe John Ross) in the Dallas reboot. But he didn’t need that. He deserves and will have bigger fish to fry. I will make Private Practice my new must-see tv again (it lost me two seasons ago) provided it makes him a regular. They fired Tim Daly? I thought it was his choice to leave. Sounds like Shonda is pulling a David E. Kelley “The Practice evolves to Boston Legal”.

3. Jarrod says:

So a recurring role that will most likely turn into a regular role once Kate Walsh (and her possible love interest Benjamin Bratt/Taye Diggs leave) depart and the series is extended. Either way, this is the most stupid move seeing as Tim Daly could have been in this recurring role with his absence being explained as a suspended medical license and at home with Lucas.

4. Fan says:

aww i love him! i was sad that the deep end got cancelled, so good for him!

5. lorna says:

Loooved jack and bobby. Lost respect for shonda for axing tim and eric dane. How many actors left like her, 3?

6. Danielle H says:

He never really gets his due. The Deep End was it but it didn’t make it. I don’t mind this casting one bit :)

7. Els says:

I was so going to stop watching PP this season, but for Matt Long I will make an exception…

8. He is CUTE! Wonder if there’s any chance he’ll hit it off with Amelia instead of old-enough-to-be-her-father Sheldon. Yuck!