The X Factor: 8 Dream Hosts for Season 2

Back in January, Simon Cowell ejected square-jawed automaton Steve Jones from his hosting pod on the U.S. version of The X Factor, but now, with only a week till the show’s launch, the cranky, V-neck-loving Brit has yet to name a replacement.

Yes, the audition rounds will be a host-free experience. And folks like Glee‘s Kevin McHale and Khloe Kardashian have seen their names pop up as potential candidates for a proposed two-emcee format, but we’ve got other ideas. Check out our gallery below, then hit the comments with your own suggestions. And for all my reality recaps and commentary, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (37)

• JC Chasez would be the best!

Comment by Kate McKenna (@Katemadeleine) – September 5, 2012 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • JC is overdue for something beyond America’s Best Dance Crew. He’d be a good choice for an X Factor co-host (likeable, knows the business, been on the other side of a judges’ table, was a child star etc…) or even an American Idol judge since those spots aren’t all locked down yet.

Comment by Tess – September 5, 2012 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cat Deeley is always all kinds of awesome (and she better win that Emmy this year!), but I also like Queen Latifah or Sarah Silverman for the job. Just as long as it’s an endearing host with some sort of personality.
    But I would absolutely love it if they got James Corden to do it. He might be British, like Jones, but he’s popping with personality, and is used to the hosting gigs from the Brits. And he just won a Tony, for goodness’ sake. He’s funny (hilarious! Watch ‘Gavin & Stacey’ – brilliant show), sweet and charismatic. There’s no robot in him, I can tell ya

Comment by Karen – September 5, 2012 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cat Deeley would be perfect, Eva Longoria would be really good too.

Comment by Martin – September 5, 2012 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All of these suck.

Comment by Tamara – September 5, 2012 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t watch X-Factor, so I have no right to vote. But, if I did watch, I’d vote for Queen Latifah. Who doesn’t love her?

Comment by Templar – September 5, 2012 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ME. I would vote for Josh or Cat to be host.

Comment by Mary – September 6, 2012 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Queen Latifah and William Levy?
    COME. ON.

But Cat Deeley… A whole different story.

Comment by Marin Kuharić (@Prkan_708) – September 5, 2012 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Josh Groban!!!

Comment by Heida Lind – September 5, 2012 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone but the wheelchair kid from Glee or one of the Kardishans (i don’t know how to spell it). The host can’t be a robot cause it only works with Big Brother. The X Factor needs to be a person. My vote goes to little star Rachel Crow.

Comment by Lili – September 5, 2012 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Quid us and khloe kardashian would be great hosts! They are both very current and witty.

Comment by Lew – September 5, 2012 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Quddus and khloe kardashian would be great hosts! They are both very current and witty. They both have good interview skills

Comment by Lew – September 5, 2012 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • JC or Quddus would be great!

Comment by Angel – September 5, 2012 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about former MTV VJ’s Simon Rex and Daisy Fuentes. They would be PERFECT!

OR!!!! Damien Fahey and LALA would work well!

Or actress/host Lisa Rinna!

Comment by matthew c – September 5, 2012 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It has to be Cat Deeley for The X Factor USA job, no contest. She is the person for the job without doubt.

Comment by Stephen McQuarrie (@SteveMc1969) – September 5, 2012 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They fired the last host because he wasn’t American. I still really like the idea of Stacy Keibler hosting. She’s a really great girl and an awesome personality.

Comment by popculturewithkyle – September 5, 2012 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I completely agree. If Stacy were host it would actually make me give this show a chance.

Comment by G – September 6, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m pretty sure they let him go because he was robotic, boring, and the general public didn’t like him. Not because he wasn’t american.
        Don’t know if you noticed, but neither is Simon Cowell.

Comment by B – September 6, 2012 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still lmfao over Quddus!! I still love that name!! Quddus & Kelly Osborune

Comment by Nick – September 5, 2012 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oh people….I like Cat Deeley and stuff but I don’t get the hype. She sometimes just annoys me to no end with the cutesy talk and the winking and pampering of every contestant…don’t get me wrong… I do get that she’s all warm and fuzzy an motherly but a little comeback…some punchlines wouldn’t hurt her (I’m talking towards the judges, here). Also some variety would help a lot. In one of this seasons SYTYCD episodes she literally said” Well done” and “good job” like 50 times. She’s a pro, I don’t argue with that and she’s engaged and engaging but there is SO much room for here to improve on her performance. Maybe – the perfectionist that I am- I’m judging too harshly but the high praise, I just don’t understand. Sorry. No go on- let the bashing begin.

Comment by kateshomesick – September 5, 2012 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Andy Cohen!! Or maybe a different reality show every week? Like Jeff Probst, Heidi Klum, Phil Keoghan and they should be saying catchphrases from their own shows like the tribe has spoken or auf weidersen.

Comment by Jon – September 5, 2012 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kelly Osbourne would be fantastic. I’d watch it for her even if the new judges turned out to as crappy as J-Lo/Randy/Steven were.

Comment by Jeremy – September 5, 2012 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHAT?! Since when does the US know William Levy? He’s in the soaps my mom watches on Televisa!

Comment by j – September 5, 2012 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He was on last season of Dancing With The Stars and now is on the VH-1 show, Single Ladies. So yes, he has raised his profile in the US from just being in a JLo video and starring in telenovelas.

That said, the only thing he might bring to the show is his hotness, but that didn’t help Steve Jones. As much as I like to look at William Levy (and Steve too) his accent might be a little too difficult for people to follow for him to co-host a show like X Factor. Some people complained about Steve’s accent last season, so they might not want to have to worry about that again with another host.

Comment by Tess – September 5, 2012 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While Cat Deeley would be an awesome choice, I think it would be awesome to actually have a host who knows something about music, so my vote would be for Josh Groban, of this list. I was kind of pumped before when I heard that Darren Criss was being considered. Honestly, one of the rebellious pop folk like Katy Perry might be cool, because they are in the music industry and have big personalities (but don’t necessarily know about Autotune-free singing).

Comment by Aria – September 5, 2012 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alison Haislip. Or she could just go back to the Voice, so we don’t have to see or listen to Christina Milian. Ever. Again.

Comment by tiffany – September 5, 2012 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Most of those are bad choices or couldnt do it due to other commitments. Its not realistic

Comment by Steve – September 5, 2012 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I totally was thinking that while watching SYTYCD tonight. She’d be a great choice!

Comment by Damien Roberts (@dam744) – September 5, 2012 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t narrow it down past the three in Photo #9: Josh Groban, Queen Latifah and Sarah Silverman. Groban and Latifah are music pros who know their way around a song as performers (Groban especially knowledgeable on the technical end; Latifah on the soul and presentation end) and, while not a pro in that arena, Silverman can certainly sing and has that unpreditable quality you mentioned (can you say improvization? I knew you could…) that will keep everything interesting when it might not be, otherwise.

Comment by Sheldon W. – September 5, 2012 10:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love jc he needs to go back to singing.He has an awesome voice.

Comment by lisa – September 5, 2012 10:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Other than Josh Groban, that list was a total waste of my time.

Comment by Craig Hansen – September 6, 2012 02:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would actually consider watching that train wreck if (and only “if”) they got Cat Deeley to host! She’s the best!!!

Comment by dsm – September 6, 2012 05:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as it isn’t a Kardashian, I really don’t give a flip…

Comment by JB – September 6, 2012 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There is no way Sarah Silverman will get to work on a show with Britney Spears after she called Britneys kids “the most adorable mistakes you will ever see. They are almost as cute as the hairless see you next tuesday they came out of” so you can cross her of the list pretty quickly.

Comment by JohnT – September 6, 2012 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Queen Latifah would be excellent. I’d also like Carson Kressley, who was an absolute hoot on DWTS!

Comment by Amanda – September 6, 2012 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NICK LACHEY- he knows something about music. He’s goodlooking, very likeable and articulate and he did a fabulous job on “The sing off”. I have no idea why I didn’t think of him earlier…

Comment by kateshomesick – September 6, 2012 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cat Deeley hands down. She is the most human host out there. She is funny and sincere and brings authenticity and warmth – something the X-Factor totally lacks. I think I like her even more than I like Jeff Probst (Survivor) or Phil Koegan (Amazing Race).

Comment by davej – September 6, 2012 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post