Exclusive

Exclusive Grey's Anatomy Photo & Scoop: Get Ready For a 'Sexy and Fun' Meredith and Derek!

The extended forecast for Derek and Meredith calls for record heat with an increased chance of bow-chicka-wow-wow.

Grey’s Anatomy boss Shonda Rhimes has famously declared Season 9 the “Year of Romance,” and, as you can see from the following exclusive photo, the show’s central super couple will definitely be among the participants.

RELATED | Exclusive — Grey’s Planning Big, Standalone Meredith/Cristina Episode!

“One of the things I said to the writers was, ‘I want a lot more romantic scenes. I want to see that Derek and Meredith are a happy, sexy couple,'” Rhimes tells TVLine. “They basically settled down in a lot of ways. They are very settled. They’re married, they have a child, and they’re both working. I want to see what that means for them as a couple and how they, against the odds, manage to keep that relationship sexy and fun. So we’re playing with that and it’s been really fun.”

Rhimes and and her fellow scribes aren’t the only ones enjoying the increased intimacy. She notes that the duo’s longtime portrayers, Patrick Dempsey and Ellen Pompeo, are “having a good time with it as well.”

RELATED | Grey’s Spoiler — Somebody’s Getting Married!

Rhimes, meanwhile, is giving the pair a shiny new playground to frolic around in: The empress of Shondaland confirms that Der and Mer will officially take up residence in their years-in-the-making dream house. “We’re spending a lot of money and it’s quite beautiful,” she raves of the ginormous set piece. “Viewers saw a little bit of it last season, and we just sort of expanded on that a little bit.”

Sneak a peek at the happy couple sharing an intimate moment at work in the show’s Sept. 27 opener and then hit the comments with your thoughts.

1. I love how Shonda makes us all feel something – even if it’s a dislike of Crowen and April! Shonda has done an incredible job to keep Greys so engaging & clever through 8 seasons. I totally trust that MerDer will be just as interesting in s.9. I’m out of the loop on the Addison thang though – is private practice ending?

2. Gretchen says:

So if they are moving into the dream house, then they are staying in Seattle. Ends that mystery.

3. sammi says:

Ooh, this picture’s interesting. Well, although Derek’s in scrubs it doesnt mean his hand is necessarily functioning the same way. Then I’m using my phone so I might be wrong here but does the jacket say SGH? Also, is Meredith in attending scrubs or am I getting confused with the colours? As for the whole MerDer stuff, I can’t wait, they’re my favourite couple!!

4. Shenanigans, I say! says:

I did love a good Lexi scene, but respect her wishes peeps, and move on. Also all the whining about MerDer – it’s Grey’s Anatomy, not Mercy West Anatomy. The show will always revolve around Meredith, and by extension, Cristina.

5. Giani says:

Hi, I’m from Argentina and I can’t find out exactly when season 9 begins?could you tell me, please? Thanks a lot!

6. there is more to the show than merder and lexie and mark….i love calli and arizona…i love love love jackson…i love the new side to alex……i love them showing more of a romantic softer side to bailey…i think they did the right thing by making lexie die instead of getting the ”better job offer”…they did the same to george who was my favorite….death on this show makes for better scenes and story lines for the other actors ….i am actually done with the whole christina/owen thing….cant wait for the new season and the new season thank god of private practice…please dont cancel that show i love it

7. Arlyn says:

It would be AWESOME if the crash characters would be stranded for 9 + months and CHRISTINA finds out she’s pregnant AGAIN and without access to a safe abortion goes through pregnancy and delivery on the remote island or wherever, and hates the idea during the whole pregnancy but ends up in love with her baby when it’s born, meanwhile Owen and everyone thinks they are all dead, when they are found everyone’s new life would make for a great story and possibly a lot more seasons. A changed forever Christina, Meredith, Derek, Arizona, etc. new stories galor!

8. rs says:

Woo-Hoo, I am one happy camper! Been waiting a loooong time for this SL!

9. McChelle says:

So is it true that Mark will not be on season 9? I am really going to miss McSteamy if that’s the case! I love Derek and Meredeith. I think they are mean’t to be together. But still, McSteamy! Yum!

10. Albert says:

I’m an Italian fan.. I follow GA from Italy directly to US. It’been so sad Lexi died. She was so hot for me, but it’s a great serie and there’s no way i change my mind….
    I’d like to see again in the show Burke, he was a good character….
    I hope GA continues for a long time

11. Jessica says:

I hate that Lexie died and that she and Mark won’t be together on the show anymore, but I won’t stop watching Grey’s because of one couple. Especially since both Chyler and Eric wanted to leave. Anyway, it will be nice to see Meredith & Derek have fun this season, but I wish Callie and Arizona could too. I guess they had a drama free season last year so this year they have to spice them up, but I hope they don’t break up.

12. sylvia says:

So happy to know that MerDer will be a happy, sexy couple. They hav gone through so much so at last it will be great to see lots of romance from them. They are my favorites. Hope they have their own Mcbaby, love Zola though. Love this show, SHonda Rhimes you are the best. I will miss Lexie, Mark & the others but I’m sure the actors who played these characters have gone onto bigger and better challenges. Ellen & Patrick love you guys, you are the best.

13. Alexis says:

BRING IZZIE BACK! I would love to see her make a return, it would really boost the ratings too.Plus she said she wants to come back. I don’t know, MerDer haven’t been that interesting in a long time. I think the last spicy scene in my opinion, was the sex scene in the exam room during the season 2 finale. I think I’m mostly sad Lexie’s gone, because her and Mark were so wonderful together. It pulled my emotional strings seeing the season 8 finale. Sad to see her go, but like I said…. Bring Izzie back. I will always love Grey’s Anatomy though, so I’m excited for the new season regardless of what happens. (Also, one last thing…. I hope Arizona doesn’t die! I love her, she’s sweet, and without her the show may actually suck)

14. Alexis says:

But overall, I’m happy MerDer are going to be cute again… haven’t seen that in awhile.

15. Arlyn says:

Gretchen, I AM a women so no I don’t hate women. I think it would make for a conflicting story and without something drastic it looks like Owen and Christina won’t make it, and Christina’s character has a tendancy to not know she wants something unless she is pushed to try. It would make for a very interesting story to see why she goes through and how she copes etc, much like during the shooting episodes and how that destroyed her career (almost). Open your mind a bit eh?

• chris says:

still amazes me that some women cannot accept that a woman would not want children. I find it even more disturbing that a woman would want to see another woman forced to have a child she didn’t want. That said although I believe these docs would not survive 9 months in the wilderness on their own, none the less if they were stranded, they are all docs/surgeons and certainly could perform an abortion if need be.

16. Arlyn says:

You know, instead of attacking PEOPLE here, the smart thing to do if you disagree with someones opinion about ART is to critique the suggestion and not the person! State WHY you don’t think it would be a good idea instead of insulting the creative person who ACTUALLY Came up with an IDEA. discuss te characters and storyline and not the poster. People like you take all the fun out of brainstorming fun and cool new creative and artistic ideas. Debbie downer!

17. louise robinson says:

why do u like greys if all ur gona do is say im not gona watch season 9

18. Arlyn says:

Once again, instead of attacking the PERSON critique the art. I never said I couldn’t understand a women not wanting children. This is NOT personal. I jus think it would make for an interesting STORY because owen wants kids and she doesn’t and instead of them jus breaking up and it being over, hence the end of THAT story, this dilemma would add more. It was just an idea, and they most certainly could survive, clearly they are smart enough to understand how the body works and how to keep it alive, they’re scientists I’m sure try could figure out how to nourish themselves and survive.

Once again, common people make everything personal. There’s no intellect here, there’s no artistic debate, there’s only one clueless jane attacking another person instead of combating with another creative idea. Leave personal perspectives out of it, it’s irrelevant! This is about a show for hells same not about my views on women’s right to choose!

Get Over yourself and lighten up!

19. kim knorr says:

I know I cant wait for the fall season!! I actually have my entire family watching and my friends!!! My calander is marked for Sept.27th. The season ending was heart breaking but,we at my house and friends homes are waiting to see whats to come!!! We love the show!!! Even my husband is now a big fan!!!!

20. Angie says:

i was expecting for the show to start from the crash not the way it has i liked Lexi n a little bit of Mark n pour Arizona other then that am glad they are back but not the same

21. I hardly leave responses, however i did some searching and wound up here [PHOTO] Greys Anatomy Plans More Sex For Meredith
    and Derek – Season 9 – TVLine. And I actually do have 2 questions for you if
    you do not mind. Is it simply me or does it look like some of these
    remarks come across like they are coming from brain dead
    visitors? :-P And, if you are writing at other online social sites,
    I would like to follow anything new you have to
    post. Would you list of the complete urls of all your communal sites like your Facebook page, twitter feed,
    or linkedin profile?