Fall TV Preview

Exclusive Grey's Anatomy Photo & Scoop: Get Ready For a 'Sexy and Fun' Meredith and Derek!

The extended forecast for Derek and Meredith calls for record heat with an increased chance of bow-chicka-wow-wow.

Grey’s Anatomy boss Shonda Rhimes has famously declared Season 9 the “Year of Romance,” and, as you can see from the following exclusive photo, the show’s central super couple will definitely be among the participants.

RELATED | Exclusive — Grey’s Planning Big, Standalone Meredith/Cristina Episode!

“One of the things I said to the writers was, ‘I want a lot more romantic scenes. I want to see that Derek and Meredith are a happy, sexy couple,’” Rhimes tells TVLine. “They basically settled down in a lot of ways. They are very settled. They’re married, they have a child, and they’re both working. I want to see what that means for them as a couple and how they, against the odds, manage to keep that relationship sexy and fun. So we’re playing with that and it’s been really fun.”

Rhimes and and her fellow scribes aren’t the only ones enjoying the increased intimacy. She notes that the duo’s longtime portrayers, Patrick Dempsey and Ellen Pompeo, are “having a good time with it as well.”

RELATED | Grey’s Spoiler — Somebody’s Getting Married!

Rhimes, meanwhile, is giving the pair a shiny new playground to frolic around in: The empress of Shondaland confirms that Der and Mer will officially take up residence in their years-in-the-making dream house. “We’re spending a lot of money and it’s quite beautiful,” she raves of the ginormous set piece. “Viewers saw a little bit of it last season, and we just sort of expanded on that a little bit.”

Sneak a peek at the happy couple sharing an intimate moment at work in the show’s Sept. 27 opener and then hit the comments with your thoughts.

Comments (252)

• LOVE THIS!!!!…cant wait!!!!

Comment by Tiffany Robinson – September 5, 2012 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow people…greys anatomy is a fictional show about fictional characters why it’s everyone getting bent out of shape over a FICTIONAL SHOW?!
    I personally love greys I have my dislikes and likes for the show but really all together the show is wonderfully written show. I’ve been watching the show from day one..watched it grow and decline .the shows been on for eight seasons…if you don’t like it tune out the show will continue without you

Comment by toya – September 5, 2012 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly, this is boring already. I remember when they said season 8 would be about Meredith and Derek finally getting a chance at happiness. Okay, they adopted Zola but that’s about it. Everything else was about the secondary characters of the show. I barely remember MerDer scenes. And now the year of romance? Let me guess, another wedding and then someone dies?

The only romance that needed a proper ending was Mark and Lexie’s. I don’t blame Chyler Leigh but the writers really screwed up the plot. And now we still have to deal with Owen and Cristina. I really hate this couple. As much as Cristina used to be my favorite character, I’d trade Cristina and Owen for Lexie and Mark anytime.

Comment by Meg – September 5, 2012 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ok all u super fans. What, other than a television show is Grey’s Anatomy?

Comment by medicfan – September 5, 2012 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s so refreshing when TV shows such as this actually keep couples together and happy. Often times it seems they forget that happiness is okay to watch also. Keep it up Shondra.

Comment by Julie – September 5, 2012 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • HAPPINESS?????!!!!!
      Are you commenting the same show we do?
      What couple you follow, please?

Comment by Ninna – September 6, 2012 03:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show and cant wait to see what happens in the new season

Comment by Sweetm – September 5, 2012 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you don’t like the show then don’t watch it… Don’t come on here and b*tch about it. There are still slot of viewers that love it… Being on more Greys. I love the show!!! Always have, always will… Great job Shonda

Comment by Salgal – September 5, 2012 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like this show i’ve seen all seassons and I can’t wait for the next one. If you people are so disappointed about Lexie and Marc just don’t watch it…the end.

Comment by Queen – September 5, 2012 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Done and Done. I’ll be watching Glee and giving my ratings to a show that doesn’t spit on Characters that are fan favorites.

Comment by Amelia – September 5, 2012 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ijust cant wait!! My husbands hooked too! Can never get enough of Greys! And more romantic?? Awesome!

Comment by Lauren Hay – September 5, 2012 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Grey’s, So happy season 9 is almost here. Love Derek and Mer/favorite couple on TV. Glad to hear they’re going to have some fun this year and be in their new home.

Comment by Lynn – September 5, 2012 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay for the record, they didn’t fire Eric Dane, he has chosen to leave the show…Mark has a lot of intereaction other than Lexie. While I will miss them dearly, I loved them….but they didn’t get rid of Mark just cuz Chyler Leigh decided to go. Eric Dane chose not to resign.

Comment by Sam – September 5, 2012 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How do you know? where you inside the room when this was getting talked about? No one knows what happened behind closed doors

Comment by Amelia – September 5, 2012 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, ED is a superb actor with actor job guaranteed for the rest of his life in this crazy industry that is Hollywood! Right! He doesn’t need to be part of a prime time show as GA.
      Yeahh he gave up on an international gig(luck of his life) which gave him bucks to buy his Porche and motos because he has better offers. And doesn’t even have family to support either!

Comment by Ninna – September 6, 2012 03:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Shonda gave an interview talking about having to make hard choices, later Eric gave an interview where he was talking like he expected to be coming back for this season, then dropped the bomb that he hadn’t gotten his pickup letter yet — then he was in europe for some movie thing/looking for work? and a couple weeks later he was off the show — so just saying given whats been in the press, I don’t think it was his choice to leave

Comment by chris – September 8, 2012 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Navy scrubs!! Cant wait! Finally they are on the same playing field, no more powder blue scrubs!

Comment by megan – September 5, 2012 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why did the show end the way it did if they are not going to pick up where it left off????

Comment by c – September 5, 2012 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just what I have been waiting for–they make an adorable couple and look–Meredith is wearing the navy “attending” scrubs!

Comment by Bethany – September 5, 2012 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the show and can’t wait for next season. I hate that Lexy and Mark are gone but that won’t stop me from watching. Didn’t Lexy have another sister? How come we haven’t heard anything about her?

Comment by claudine – September 5, 2012 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m too lazy to read all the negative comments and the really LOOONG comments so I’m just gonna say this!!

I love greys!!!! And Calzona for the win!!!! Lol

Comment by Lyn – September 5, 2012 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Grey’s Anatomy!! Can’t wait until the 27th! I love the friendship with Meredith and Christina! I love that Meredith and Derrick are married. They have came a long way to finally be together, in love, and have Zola now! I can’t wait for the two to have a more romantic season. I just hope they show a little more affection than the picture does! Yes, I am going to miss Lexie and Marc! Their love story could have been awesome after the plane crash, but they will both be gone now, so at least we got to see exactly how much they really loved one another. I can’t wait to see what this season has for Bailey! I just love her character. She is great and deals with all the craziness thrown her way! This season should be interesting with Callie too. I have a feeling it will be a heartache x 2 for her. Losing her best friend, Marc, and Arizona having complications after the plane wreck… I can’t wait to see what this season has to unveil!

Comment by Tiffany – September 5, 2012 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with the last comment. How can she make a romantic season without little Grey?? Couldn’t she just make Lexi go away and return latter? Had to kill her ;( for lot less the bl

Comment by Simone – September 5, 2012 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wow!!! People on here are really defensive! lol

Comment by laura – September 5, 2012 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love greys anatomy I pretty much only watch it for mer and dereck some of your opinions are horrible blah ill watch greys anatomy no matter what happens its number 1 on my list

Comment by alley – September 5, 2012 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t celebrate this in the face of such obvious disparity when you look at how Callie and Arizona are treated. Since S6 we barely get to see them as a romantic couple. They have fought, broken up, gotten married, become parents and all the while their ‘love scenes’ are limited to a couple of pecks taken with a long lens. I wouldn’t be so disconcerting if this was the norm for the entire show, but it isn’t. Last season we saw the Avery/April and the Katherine/Richard hook ups take up upwards of two minutes at a time of unambiguous sexual encounters while even the much anticipated Valentine’s episode gave us a 3-second Calzona kiss that receded so fast you wondered what had actually happened. The most insulting part of it all is how Shonda claims to be this inclusive innovator when it comes to equality but her own show does not reflect that reality. So, no. I’m not looking forward to seeing more sexy scenes with MerDer or Crowen or anyone else because the whole time I’m just thinking about how hypocritical this is…

Comment by Ana – September 5, 2012 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • sing it! the disparity is glaring!

Comment by chris – September 5, 2012 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they make it-quite honestly I am tired of drama in which marriage is not sacrosanct! Just once it would be great to see a happy married and sexy married couple that are so into each other. That gives me the aha moment

Comment by Maryann Williams – September 5, 2012 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a big MerDer fan! I’ve been watching this ever since it first came on. I would love to see Arizona leave the show! I can’t stand to watch her week after week, with her stupid grinning teeth! Everytime she says ANYTHING, she has this stupid grin on her face. Can’t wait for the romance between Meridith and Derek! I’ M SICK AND TIRED OF THE LESBIAN LOVE SCENES!!!!! This makes me sick to my stomach!

Comment by Doris – September 5, 2012 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree with this! If this is your preference then that is fine. I am not about to tell anyone that they don’t have the right to make this choice or anything else. However, it is certainly not something that I personally believe in so don’t shove it down my throat by plastering it all over my tv screen for the majority of the episode every week and do not expect me to worship it!! Does Shonda realize the easiest way to lose a bunch of viewers??? A repeat of season 7! I refuse to watch that again!!! This show is about the originals! They are the characters that made the majority of fans interested in the first place. The supporting cast is great! (well except for April and Jackson!) but this show was most successful when it was about the original characters!

Comment by Jen – September 5, 2012 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don`t recall any lesbian loves scenes. Are they implied? Yes. But shown? No, unless your confusing 5-10 second kisses to love scenes. To be fair C/A really didn`t have a storyline in season 8 so I wouldn`t say it`s being shoved in people`s faces. As for season 7, the spotlight was on them, but every couple gets storyline time, like this past season Owen and Christina did. I`m for romance all around.

Comment by CT – September 6, 2012 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still bummed about Lexie and Mark. They were my faves!! Anyone know any more details about Christina storyline?

Comment by Erin – September 5, 2012 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Its nice that MerDer are happy but if their big storyline is they kiss and have sex they’ll be boring very soon. They need some good storyline to go along with the goop.

Comment by Gail – September 5, 2012 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This seems to happen every year. It appears Derek will be getting some screen time and a juicy storyline of his own so I get my hopes up. But in actuality, his only role is to be Meredith’s third banana.

I will also miss Lexie/Mark. I like Bailey and love Christina. But their presence can’t overcome a show dominated by Callie/Arizona and the chief story lines. Yawn.

Comment by TJ – September 5, 2012 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show. I agree with some of the comments and disagree with a few of theothers. I have to admit the last two seasons have been a channel changer for me at times. I hope this season will pick up, but have to say, “I sure miss Izzy and Gorge. I wish Izzy would have a few come back seems as Adison did. Missing Lizzy’s funniess

Comment by kristine newton – September 5, 2012 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like all the characters, I think they have all played a great and important role. I love merder and I also loved Mark and Lexi! I really would have liked to have seen them get back together in season 9 if the actress who played Lexi didn’t decide to leave the show. I think that would have made great episodes. I am sad to see them go as well as others that have been apart of this show for so long. It is almost like watching a sequel with different actors but the same characters. I will still watch though because like I said I love all of the characters and my disappointment with Lexi leaving won’t stop me. Can’t wait for season 9, you never know what will happen!! :-)

Comment by Lori – September 5, 2012 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait love the show….especially Der and Mer i’m happy that they are finally going to give them happiness after all they been through

Comment by Maria – September 5, 2012 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wedding would probably be Baily/Ben. Bet you’ll see Webber/Catherine hook up again, MerDer, Hopefully Callie/Arizona, then you’ll have a possible Avery/April (>.>), maybe Christina / Owen.. If not bet Christina goes after that new doctor.

Anyways, I can’t wait until it starts! :D

Comment by Calzona4ever – September 5, 2012 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PEOPLE…..Look @ pic and leave a comment was all you were asked! Geez…you’re fighting with each other (you must be miserable), you’re making nasty comments about the show (obviously you watch it and are upset so you are a fan regardless). Anyhow…great show, watching since Series Premiered, love the picture…true romance when it comes down to it! McDreamy can stare at me anytime LOL. I’m still trying to figure out who’s in right corner watching them (patient? Christina? Ghost Lexi?). Looking for to another great season!!

Comment by Donna – September 5, 2012 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think grey’s was so much better “back in the days” with izzie, meredith, christina, george, Alex, lexi, marc, addison, richard as the chief and so on… Now it’s just not the same :( but i’m still watching the show…

Comment by M. Johansen – September 5, 2012 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe Mcsteamy is leaving too :( He was so Yummy! Oh Well, I guess that leaves Mcdreamy and Mc Gi-Joe. Hmm, I wonder who will be new coming this season??

Comment by Renn Webber – September 5, 2012 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You mean: that leaves Mcdreamy and McCheater, right?

Comment by Ninna – September 6, 2012 03:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My brother recommended I would possibly like
    this blog. He was entirely right. This put up actually made my day.
    You can not believe simply how a lot time I had spent for this information!
    Thank you!

Comment by application – September 5, 2012 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All this bickering about who’s you’re favorite couple and no talk about the spoiler… who’s getting married?!! My guess is Bailey due to the proposal at the end of last season! Mark & lexi leaving is old news, true fans would know that along with who signed contacts for another two years. It was on radio and news stations all over! I’ve been counting down the day till S9 since the premiere date was released!!!

Comment by Melissa Kelly – September 5, 2012 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 3 more weeks!! I love MerDer more than any couple in TV history. They have amazing chemistry and that is why they will always be a super couple. One can’t be without the other. I love Grey’s Anatomy and MerDer. I hope for lots of McFamily scenes and am so excited about the new house. Thanks for this great spoiler.

Comment by Vickie – September 5, 2012 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am sad about Lexi and Mark too. However, I would love to see Alex finally happy. Maybe Owen will get Cristina back, and she will finally have someone who accepts her for who she is. Hopefully Arizona will survive the crash and she and Callie will be super happy. And maybe April with get together with Jackson!! :)

Comment by Nicole – September 5, 2012 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MerDer fans are NOT rude!! They are very passionate about the relationship between these amazing characters! Am I the only one who notices that Mer’s coat is trying to conceal a baby bump? hmmm

Comment by Red – September 5, 2012 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY thanks ”shonda”!! I want see so much merder sex.they my babies.

Comment by mcc – September 5, 2012 10:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • is there’s way Kate Walsh to come back? or there’ll be some crossovers more? please : )

Comment by Dissolved Girl – September 5, 2012 10:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s strange to see Meredith in dark blue scrubs… This is a new start… :)

Comment by Roxana – September 5, 2012 10:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wohooooooooooooooo finally finally FINALLY some MerDer news All some we kept getting news of boring guest stars being added and of characters we r just freaking NOT interested in and it was getting pretty damn boring…. my excitement level for s9 had dropped to nil, because the only ONLY thing to look forward in this show now at this stage in its life is MerDer, this one duo never fails to make our hearts beat right from the VERY moment they came together so long ago in the show’s Pilot…but from all the spoilers it felt like as usual they would not have much in the new upcoming season and that made me very very edgy…so after a long long lull it feels good to know that MerDer wld come more intimately closer….”sigh”….bless Patrick and Ellen for doing this for so so long and never failing to amaze us with their magical chemistry
    And the pic is swooooooooooooooooooon worthy First MD pic of s9 wohoooooo Now it feels like ok fall is coming and Grey’s is abt to be back….wohooooooo

Comment by Smriti – September 5, 2012 11:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve watched the show a couple of years now. I’m totally addicted! I saw my first episode in 2006 or 2007, and still remembers it! My favourite character was always Izzie when I was young. But now it’s Meredith, I love MerDer and I’m really look forward to season nine! Can’t wait!

Comment by Mary – September 5, 2012 11:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! I can’t wait!!

Comment by LoveMer&Der – September 6, 2012 01:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • cool, mer is wearing the dark blue scrubs!

Comment by Alex – September 6, 2012 02:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MerDer are my fave couple, nice photo of them and Mer’s wearing attending scrubs.
    All these kind of press releases are to build up the buzz about S9.

Comment by GAfan MerDer4ever – September 6, 2012 02:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is there a possibilty Derek & Meredith is the couple in the Blind Item that eats Sundae with lots of sexual touching? Maybe?!

Comment by Josh Hayden (@JoshHaydenJH) – September 6, 2012 04:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you want Romance why did you kill Lexie? I still hate you and i will never forgive you that.

Comment by Buffy – September 6, 2012 05:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • my self think mer /der is the most boring couple on the show.i would love to see calzona in a lot of love scenes a long with baily and ben. and cristina needs to be cristina a gain before she marrige owen.and owen needs fired for not checking his messages quicker and jackson and alex need to find love if jackson and april suppose to be togeter then put them t here and find alex true love and agood storyline and of it was not for callie and arizona and baily and alex and jackson april and richerd and ben.i would not be watching and for sure not wacthing of there is no calzona but mer /der fly away would not miss them but teddy and mark and herny yes .

Comment by dora – September 6, 2012 06:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rhimes is known for talking out of both sides of her mouth so I’ll take a wait and see approach to this. While I like most of the other characters, I’m still watching because of Meredith and Derek. Good news with the navy scrubs on Meredith and that we will be seeing more of their new house.

Comment by Joyce – September 6, 2012 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post