Fall TV Preview

Exclusive First Look: Castle's Season 5 Key Art Plays With Handcuffs

The official key art aka poster for Castle Season 5 features two conventionally attractive people, yes, but is there more to it than that? Lucky for you, TVLine has secured an exclusive first peek at the pretty.

RELATED | We’ve Seen the Castle Season 5 Premiere! 13 Quick Observations

For one, there’s the visual callback to one of Season 4′s buzziest outings, “Cuffed,” given the special hardware Rick and Kate are sporting in the poster.

But there are also two embedded spoilers, one who has seen the premiere could argue. The first comes from the tagline. The second has to do with the aforementioned manacles. Because of the events of the May finale, are Castle and Beckett’s “hands tied” figuratively, seeing as the NYPD probably frowns on such fraternization? Or do they again find themselves bound at the wrist, literally, in the Sept. 24 season opener?

RELATED | Fall Preview: As Castle Explores ‘Pure, Raw’ Emotions, ‘The Fun and Conflict Only Escalate’

How do you rate Castle‘s Season 5 poster? Does it set the right mood?

Comments (194)

• Awful photoshop. But still cutest poster everrrrrrr.

Comment by Me – September 5, 2012 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Someone needs to be fired *coughcough*photoshopguy*coughcough*
    Is sept 24th the us premiere, if so i think i might cry, its not fair when it comes to TV premieres when you live across the pond

Comment by whydidsomeonesaythattheydidntusenathanintheposterwth – September 5, 2012 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It almost looks like Nathan Fillion’s head was super-imposed into the picture after the fact. Like he couldn’t be there for the shoot, so they took a guy’s body, cropped off his head and put Nathan’s in its place. In fact, the face looks like some other picture I’ve seen from the series.

Comment by C.C. – September 5, 2012 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Horrible air-brush job. They look very plastic. Are you sure these arent the wax museum photos?? LOL Too bad its such a mess…they are very good-looking in real-life.

Comment by 2Bad – September 5, 2012 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ughhhhh the photoshopping is horrendous. love the concept, but i think i hate the poster. her nails are even photoshopped to hell! nails! and i def agree w/ whoever said that Nate looks like he’s CGI. Nate and Stana are naturally gorgeous, ABC! this is not necessary.

Comment by rachelle – September 5, 2012 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have been waiting for this poster for weeks, I was so exctied and it pains me to say this, but I can’t believe how awful the photoshopping is. I love the concept, but execution is terrible. That’s quite possibly the worst Key Art I’ve ever seen for any show. Ever.

Comment by GhostLinz – September 5, 2012 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t care how photoshopped this is ( and it’s very photoshopped…It makes it look like they imposed Stana in the picture…) I still LOVE it!! The tag line is very intriguing for things to come this season. Great poster concept.

Comment by Andrea – September 5, 2012 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it sets the tone nicely, since you asked. Stoked about the new season coming out. I’m interested to see what new things to the series it brings since they’re finally together. Thanks for sharing, Matt. :)

Comment by Natalie – September 5, 2012 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who cares about photoshop? That picture looks FUN! Can’t wait for this season. Oh and thanks for the new lock screen.

Comment by Lisa – September 5, 2012 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • like the concept but they look like they should be in a wax museum. they’re too ‘perfect’.

Comment by Barb H – September 5, 2012 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • very cute. I wish she was pulling on his earlobe with
    her teeth.

Comment by Judy Boudwine – September 5, 2012 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s seriously PERFECT!

Comment by Klover – September 5, 2012 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Perfect! To much PS but that doesnt even matter!

Comment by Luisana – September 5, 2012 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree way too much photoshop and they don’t need it. Same picture no photoshop would be great.

Comment by Sherry – September 5, 2012 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When I first show it I was like “aaahhhhhh awesome poster” :)
    But then I looked closer and I went “wtf ABC? that was so badly photoChopped”

Comment by L.C. – September 5, 2012 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG. I love this poster. Stan and Nathan look great with those ties. I can not wait for September 24th.

Comment by CasKett(Fans) – September 5, 2012 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, il es vraiment superbe !

Comment by Melanie – September 5, 2012 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too much PS? Maybe. But the concept is great, and he certainly looks like the cat that ate the canary…

Comment by megshells – September 5, 2012 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Adore these two – adore Nathan. They did a great disservice buy photoshopping them to death – sure Fillion’s put on a few, but he’s still adorable and the network should trust the fans that Caskett are perfect the way they are – WITHOUT all the crappy enhancement.

Comment by flora nelson reilly – September 5, 2012 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If it weren’t so fake from all the air brushing I love the concept, and the look in their eyes, but they both look too perfect, too much work done on this, and Castle wouldn’t like it and neither would Beckett.

Comment by Donnna – September 5, 2012 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dear ABC…you’ve been knocking Castle spoilers, teasers, promos out of the park until this photoshopped submission. Stana and photo shop should never happen. Nathan’s pic well..lets just say you missed the boat. As a Caskett shipper, I appreciate the effort. Send me an advance viewing of season 5 ep 1 and we’re good.

Comment by Melody Baker (@evangml) – September 5, 2012 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh God I can’t wait!!!!

Comment by wildchild1954 – September 5, 2012 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My God! What is it with these people and their inability to photoshop?

I mean, I know some people had a problem with the photoshop last year, and while I will admit that it was a little more than what I would have done I don’t think it was that bad. I LOVE the concept of this poster… but they look fake! Nathan more than Stana, they seriously just need to leave her alone, that woman looks perfect the way she is. And I get photoshopping Nathan, but that was seriously overdone. Concept= A+++++++++++ Execution = D

Comment by Alex – September 5, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the poster despite any photoshopping that may or may not have been done. I LOVE Caskett and cannot wait for the new season. They were, are and will be adorable together forever in my opinion and it’s not all just about the physical. These are characters, yes, but they were made as real as could be and the beauty is in their personalities and the way they care for each other and the world around them. I hope Espo and Ryan’s bromance comes back eventually — hate seeing them like this. Maybe season 5 will mend those fences now that Caskett is finally a reality. Is it September 24th yet????

Comment by Bonnie – September 5, 2012 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Or do they again find themselves bound at the wrist, literally, in the Sept. 24 season opener?”

Matt, perhaps you can enlighten the rest of us who were not fortunate enough to see the premiere screener on this matter? Pretty please? I buy you coffee and a bearclaw. ;)

Comment by Audrey – September 5, 2012 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • overphotoshopped…. nathan looks like botox-ken… but I love the setting of the picture

Comment by lilu – September 5, 2012 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • totally agree with you!

Comment by Ivana – September 5, 2012 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So who catches them in the act?

Comment by Amy – September 5, 2012 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They look.good-but isn’t this show a “cop” show?

Comment by Linda – September 5, 2012 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They are so gorgeous!

Comment by Luu – September 5, 2012 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really can’t tell about the photoshop, but then I have prettty bad vision.
    I love the mood and implication of it!
    I am now using this for my phone wallpaper!

Comment by Diann Merritt Morales – September 5, 2012 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m the same way, for the most part. I can’t always tell when something has been Photoshopped unless it’s pointed out (however, for magazine covers, it’s pretty uncommon for Photoshop to NOT be done so for those, I just assume it’s been done). As for this fabulous poster, I can tell that it’s a little Photoshopped but not that much. There are some obvious touches but for the most part, not noticeable. I love everything about it!

Comment by Sarah Elizabeth Ann (@myownlittlecrnr) – September 5, 2012 10:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Photoshopped??? Look at the white like scratch by his ear???

Comment by Kurt Wm Cobb – September 5, 2012 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the poster, the show and can’t wait for the new season to start. Let’s just hope these two finally get together and stay that way. Knowing how the producers ruin the majority of TV relationships, let’s hope it doesn’t happen here.

Comment by Les – September 5, 2012 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • nice, but a bit artificial, like, too much photo shop :(
    It’s a good story, their characters are really great, just please don’t commercialize it… Pretty please? :)
    Looking forward to the new season!

Comment by Ivana – September 5, 2012 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t get why they are cuffed left to left?

Comment by Dodie Kauffman – September 5, 2012 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lol. You aren’t a new fan of the show are you?

Comment by Alex – September 5, 2012 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because its more of a symbolism. We wear wedding ring on our left hands. Get it?

Comment by Audrey – September 5, 2012 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love it !!!! Can’t wait for season 5… Picture is absolutely gorgeous !!!

Comment by Jacki – September 5, 2012 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It looks like they cut out part of Nathan’s head to make him look thinner. Seriously, my 4 year old does better photoshop than that.

Comment by luzmelain – September 5, 2012 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jerry O’Connell and Alec Baldwin had a baby…his name is Nathan Fillion.
    These two do NOT need photoshop, especially THIS much of it.

Comment by Heather – September 5, 2012 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great idea, but WAY to photoshopped – it just looks weird.

Comment by Michelle DG – September 5, 2012 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too bad they aren’t showing the real Castle, he is more gorgeous then that. And I wish they would have shown Kate’s eyes more, they melt me from the inside ;)
    Is Martha or Alexis the one that catches them in de act or has a murder call interrupted them before they could finish their evening/night/morning ;)

Comment by Babette – September 5, 2012 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She quit the force, so I doubt that a murder call interrupts them. I heard the new season starts where last season ended. Maybe the morning after.

Comment by Jennifer – September 5, 2012 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too cute! Definitely a lot of photo shop going on, but still love lit!

Comment by Becks – September 5, 2012 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • since the beginning of Castle i nver missed watching them…now really cant wait Castle season 5…counting the days for detective beckett and castle…love you guys!

Comment by nur pabustan – September 5, 2012 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I bet their wedding episode, if they get married, will be the highest rated episode ever! Of any show. I know I would be tuning in and not just recording it on my dvr to watch later.

Comment by Jennifer – September 5, 2012 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just can’t take all of this anymore!! Please Sep. 24 come to me NOW!! ASDFGHJASDFGHJ

Comment by Mari – September 5, 2012 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nice concept but I agree with the photoshopping… bleh I looks nathan and stana themselves look okay but for some reason her arms look janky to me, like they didn’t actually take a picture of them, they took 2 separate photos and laid them on top of each other. her arms don’t look wrapped around him right… or im just over analyzing… but otherwise great shot!! Can’t wait for season 5!!

Comment by mrsCastlebAby – September 5, 2012 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He looks too much like charlie sheen. STOP playing with photoshop!

Comment by Aly – September 5, 2012 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s about time !!!!!!!!

Comment by Linda Blanchard – September 5, 2012 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think they get caught by Meredith. One spoiler said caught by “mommy”. And u would think she is in town for Alexis’ graduation. Can totally see her popping in uninvited!

Comment by sfb – September 5, 2012 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love it! Can’t wait…

Comment by Glynda Gallagher Allison – September 5, 2012 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does Stana always wear false lashes? They are huge here!

Comment by Azure – September 5, 2012 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He is soooo handsome and “Beckett” so preeeeettttyyyyyy…. Love them both!

Comment by Shila – September 5, 2012 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post