Fall TV Preview

Exclusive First Look: Castle's Season 5 Key Art Plays With Handcuffs

The official key art aka poster for Castle Season 5 features two conventionally attractive people, yes, but is there more to it than that? Lucky for you, TVLine has secured an exclusive first peek at the pretty.

RELATED | We’ve Seen the Castle Season 5 Premiere! 13 Quick Observations

For one, there’s the visual callback to one of Season 4′s buzziest outings, “Cuffed,” given the special hardware Rick and Kate are sporting in the poster.

But there are also two embedded spoilers, one who has seen the premiere could argue. The first comes from the tagline. The second has to do with the aforementioned manacles. Because of the events of the May finale, are Castle and Beckett’s “hands tied” figuratively, seeing as the NYPD probably frowns on such fraternization? Or do they again find themselves bound at the wrist, literally, in the Sept. 24 season opener?

RELATED | Fall Preview: As Castle Explores ‘Pure, Raw’ Emotions, ‘The Fun and Conflict Only Escalate’

How do you rate Castle‘s Season 5 poster? Does it set the right mood?

Comments (194)

• Cuffs. Beckett’s sex hair. Yes, it sets the mood.

Comment by Jim – September 5, 2012 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They look great to me! Counting the days till 9/24th.

Comment by Lou – September 5, 2012 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I love her smile and the fact that she’s not looking at the camera. Which means it’s just him from now on.

Comment by Jane – September 5, 2012 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Great! Finally :))) If cuffing keeps them together go for it. So happy Andrew Marlowe heard Caskett Fans.

Comment by Alana Voeller – September 5, 2012 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amazing sex hair considering how she arrived at his apartment!

Comment by Thor – September 5, 2012 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Would love this poster for my collection. [hangs head in shame].

Comment by Templar – September 5, 2012 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • nathan looks mad photoshopped

Comment by kyle – September 5, 2012 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Right? He almost looks like cgi lol

Comment by Paul – September 5, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. Insanity. He’s gorgeous anyway. That’s so unnecessary.

Comment by Heather Crews – September 5, 2012 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Truth. I don’t get why he suddenly looks weirdly tan. He’s naturally fair, and he looks good that way. Photoshop “improvements” are almost never better than the real thing.

Comment by Ace – September 5, 2012 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why are they trying to make him look like Alec Baldwin? =/

Comment by Rhonda – September 5, 2012 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He looks more like Ed Grimley than Alex Baldwin.

Comment by patricia – September 5, 2012 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He does sometimes.

Comment by Joy Denton – September 5, 2012 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • My thoughts exactly! Leave a good thing alone.

Comment by Joyce – September 7, 2012 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nathan’s hair is not that dark anymore…if they were at one point in his life. Do they think we don’t have eyes ?
      They look great but photoshop is really a pain now. And seriously it’s counterproductive to photoshop somoene who can comunicate so much with just her face.
      But the concept is great and this poster IS Castle, There I find “my” show. And I love the Cuffed call back, and again the tagline who played with the meaning both for romance and crime.

Comment by mco – September 5, 2012 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, he looks more like: I’ve got a secret.

Comment by Mollybeejay – September 5, 2012 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wow – you saw it too? Wicked awesome :) Congrats Mollybeejay – sure hope we are right.

Comment by Ali,Sr. – September 5, 2012 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • OK – what are you two on about? Secret? Share!

Comment by Annie – September 6, 2012 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • No secret Annie – look at the “symbolism” all over the poster. Forget photoshop & look at the BIG picture :) It might be too good to be true but…Marlowe & company can be very mischievous. Have you seen the sparkle in Marlowe & writer/wife Terri Edda when they look at each other? Mayhem – Rick & Kate’s chemistry pales in comparison. Yep, wicked awesome :) :) :)

Comment by Ali,Sr. – September 6, 2012 01:43 PM PDT
    • totally agree. Doesn’t look like him around the mouth. Um..yeah, maybe I look too close! lol

Comment by Amy – September 5, 2012 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • IKR? Why was that even necessary? Nathan is a natural babe. Here he looks like a character off Avatar or something – sans the blue skin.

Comment by webuiltthepyramids – September 5, 2012 09:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was my thought too…and why in the world did they feel the need to do it? He is so amazingly handsome anyway, it’s just ridiculous. Now, that said, ‘shopped or not he will always be top of my ‘No Strings’ list <3

Comment by Dee – September 6, 2012 01:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yeah, and stana had something with hands

Comment by PatriciaLatvia – September 6, 2012 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s what I was thinking – he looks “off” in someway… not ruggedly handsome…

Comment by Natalie – September 6, 2012 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was my first thought. He looks better in “real life,” this isn’t one of those super doctored high-glamor CSI type shows, this is a fun and friendly murder/cop show. Still love ‘em, but trying wayyy to hard.

Comment by Elaina – September 7, 2012 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think someone got a little over excited with the air brushing. They both look a little odd.

Cute idea though

Comment by justafan – September 5, 2012 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I knooooooow. The concept of the picture is appreciated but the final product after the extreme photoshopping just looks really awkward. I just don’t get why they found it necessary to edit it to such an extent.

Comment by Ivy – September 5, 2012 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I know…that’s the first thing I noticed, the extreme Photoshopping. And these two don’t need it.

Comment by Nicole – September 5, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • My initial reaction: ‘Concept is ok, but why haven’t they used Nathan in the poster…?!’

Comment by Deb – September 5, 2012 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • lol good point. Agree with you all.

Comment by Tallulah – September 5, 2012 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG the photoshopping. MY EYES!

Comment by dref22 (@dref22) – September 5, 2012 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, Stana’s head looks too big for her body (although that’s probably not even her body) and they both look like wax figures…really bad.

Comment by Nicole – September 5, 2012 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOL I agree, that’s definitely not her body. I doubt they were even in the same room!

Comment by dref22 (@dref22) – September 5, 2012 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’ve seen wax figures looking less waxy than them. Very poor editing job.

Comment by D – September 5, 2012 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • probably because Stana was added to the picture later. Photoshop!!!

Comment by John – September 5, 2012 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So cute..love me so caskett!

Comment by pamela – September 5, 2012 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There’s a fair bit of air brushing going on!! Nathan Fillion looks like a wax work!

Comment by Lisa – September 5, 2012 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE it, but my god waaay to much photoshop used on NF

Comment by Sarah – September 5, 2012 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So. Much. Photoshop.

Comment by Magda – September 5, 2012 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think they get literally caught in the act, perhaps by Martha and/or Alexis?

Comment by itsmemartu – September 5, 2012 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just what I was thinking

Comment by becca – September 5, 2012 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OH DEAR GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Janet – September 5, 2012 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do Stana’s fingers look crazy to anyone else or is that just me?

Comment by Jenna – September 5, 2012 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah it sets the mood!

Comment by Petra – September 5, 2012 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this picture… but they should tone down photoshop! :p

Comment by Chiara – September 5, 2012 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. First I loved this picture then I read all the photoshop comments. Still think the picture sets the tone though. Can’t wait for the 24th!

Comment by Leigh – September 5, 2012 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s not Nathan who look uglier!!! It’s the photoshop guy who make him look like they glue his head over someone else body!

Comment by Chiara – September 5, 2012 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should try again. And fire the photoshopper for abuses of power.

Comment by Ky Johnson – September 5, 2012 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tssss the amount of hate you’re going to get…

Comment by Mack – September 5, 2012 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i dont even care about the photoshopping. they’re beautiful and this is perfect. its light and adorable and definitely sets the right mood. I AM SO FREAKIN EXCITED!!!!

Comment by anonymous – September 5, 2012 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • if Castle and Beckett’s storyline is remotely close to the House and Cuddy storyline, I’m out! Their ending scene was so alike (House, S06), even the lines sounded the same.

Comment by Josh – September 5, 2012 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just watch the premiere, man ;) it’s nothing like house & cuddy for sure!

Comment by Mack – September 5, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • gods, why so photoshopped? I wouldn’t have recognized neither of them without squinting. And reading the text bit

Comment by garrs – September 5, 2012 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • too much photoshop indeed

Comment by phoebe – September 5, 2012 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome. I was looking for a new screen-saver for my phone. Thanks Matt!! Looking forward to Castle season 5…always.

Comment by Maria – September 5, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yummy!!!

Comment by Cate Andreas-Jones – September 5, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Photoshop???? why do people care about that!!! The picture is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE CASKETT, and I need Sept 24th to be here like NOW! :D

Comment by Melissa – September 5, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you! :)

Comment by Me – September 6, 2012 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’ve seen better fan arts/photoshops pictures of castle from fans than this. seriously abc need to hire better graphic designers

Comment by heather – September 5, 2012 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They are both adorable…no need whatsoever for photoshopping this lovely couple!

Comment by Linderella – September 5, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow – Beckett smiling?

Comment by Debi – September 5, 2012 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nice point! And the spoilers! They look adorable and the poster is great!

Comment by Jane – September 5, 2012 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yawn…. ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz………………… So over the “will they or won’t they” on EVERY TV show on primetime.

Comment by Tim – September 5, 2012 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They already did. You obviously don’t watch. So hush.

Comment by Ky Johnson – September 5, 2012 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’ve been sleeping alright. 4 months.

Comment by Jane – September 5, 2012 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There’s no longer a “will they or won’t they”. They definitely did…

Comment by Justine – September 5, 2012 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I could be wrong…but I don’t think Stana needs that much photoshop.

Comment by Marky41 – September 5, 2012 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fraternization doesn’t come into play because he’s not a cop. So it’s ok. ;-)

Comment by CC – September 5, 2012 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think Gates will see it this way.
      And I don’t think they’re ready to risk it.

Comment by mco – September 5, 2012 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree that b/c he’s not employed by the NYPD this shouldn’t be an issue. But I’m sure the producers can make it one if they want to.

Comment by ven8zia – September 5, 2012 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too photoshopped.!!! Although i am very excited for the coming season. Can’t wait!!

Comment by Mrafb – September 5, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Geez, even Nathan wouldn’t recognize himself.

Comment by Tsuz – September 5, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loooooove this poster for CASTLE SEASON 5 & it DEFFINETLY! sets the mood JUST RIGHT, I CAN’T WAIT TO SEE THE BEDROOM SCENE IN THEOPENER OF EP.1 OF CASTLE SEASON 5

Comment by JESSICA – September 5, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castle looks like a bad collision between Nathan Fillion and a young Alec Baldwin! At least to me he does…

Comment by teezer – September 5, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought the same thing when I saw this picture.

Comment by Emilie – September 5, 2012 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THAT’S who he reminds me of, thank you.

Comment by Sue Bridgland – September 5, 2012 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Still looking immensely forward to season 5! Both this and “The Big Bang Theory”.

Comment by teezer – September 5, 2012 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you’re right, it’s something about the eyes and the smile. They’re not Nathan’s, they’re Alec’s

Comment by garrs – September 5, 2012 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Photoshop or not, they are one gorgeous couple. Is a little Caskett in the works?? Ooo.

Comment by Julie – September 5, 2012 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I definitely like it

Comment by Anna – September 5, 2012 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The pic is good, I so like seeing them together and don’t really care about the photoshopping. However, I don’t think Kate’s hair colour is a good choice!

Comment by Amina – September 5, 2012 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • almost unrecognisable thanks to photoshop.

Comment by Sue Bridgland – September 5, 2012 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is this a cop show or romcom? Are they trying to drive away the male viewers?

Comment by SomeDude – September 5, 2012 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just wait till you see the premiere before you judge please. According to people who have already seen it, there’s more than enough action to compensate the romcom aspect that you mention.

Comment by E. – September 5, 2012 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • can’t decide if it would be funnier if Martha or Alexis caught them….

Comment by Bonnie – September 5, 2012 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m thinking Martha. There’s humor in her character so getting caught by her will be comical. She has always been a Caskett shipper. Alexis, on the other hand, is more of a serious character and she and Beckett are not in the greatest term. So being caught by her, in my mind, is more melodramatic.

Comment by Audrey – September 5, 2012 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the poster idea, but not crazy about the over kill on airbrushing or whatever it is that they did. Love the show and I’m counting down the days till it’s premier.

Comment by Patti – September 5, 2012 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not only are they airbrushed to hell, I have seen better fanart that photoshop the two of them together more believably than this. They clearly were not even in the same room when this was done.

Comment by Yikes – September 5, 2012 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i like the whole idea but why extreme photoshop

Comment by shumaila – September 5, 2012 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is driving me nuts. What happens in the beginning where they get caught…should I assume Alexa catches them? That would make sense since the hint was she will probably know first and considering she was only gone for the night at her all nighter it would make sense.

Comment by Kate – September 5, 2012 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My eyes! My eyes! So much pretties! Send help!

Love the freaking tagline and the handcuffs? Looks like its gonna be a fun season indeed.

Comment by Audrey – September 5, 2012 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They are so cute…))) It’s very beautiful post))

Comment by Anastasia Vitvitskaya – September 5, 2012 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i love it !! can’t wait to see caskett in the premiere !! the 24th, i’ll be officially dead lol =)

Comment by gossip2010 – September 5, 2012 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A. I agree with the “too much Photoshop” comments. The actors already look great in HD. This looks like a poorly done fan art. In fact, I’ve seen more impressive fan arts.

B. I’m intrigued by the tag line and use of the cuffs. It’s a nice callback, not only to the season 4 episode “Cuffed,” but also to the season 3 poster as well.

C. Based on the spoilers I’ve read so far about the premiere, I think Beckett will get back at Castle (for having to do the “walk of shame” in front of his family in the first scene) by cuffing him to her bed in the last scene. ;)

Comment by casper – September 5, 2012 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow, that is actually very plausible! Fits with all the spoilers as well.. Seems like cuffs are a big thing! With all the references! Though, out of all the posters, my favourite is still S3.

Comment by Flick – September 5, 2012 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is is just me or does he look like alec baldwin?

Comment by Thijs – September 5, 2012 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thought Alec Baldwin as well!

Comment by Mike – September 5, 2012 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post