Exclusive

Blind Item: Hit Drama Planning X-Rated Treat – Will It Make It Past the Censors? (Warning: NSFW)

As the saying goes, “I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream.”

But this October, fans of a certain hit drama will probably be screaming for a splash of cold water on their faces after they witness what goes down between one of the show’s randier couples — a hook-up so racy, it almost didn’t make it to air.

RELATED | Fall Preview Headquarters — Video, Photos, Schedules & More!

Allow me to set the scene: Ice cream parlor. Lovers on a date. Each enjoying a sundae. The male half of the pair reaches under the table to, ahem, melt his partner under her dress. He then takes that same hand and dips it in her sundae. And finally, the frisky female laps up a spoonful of the “tainted” dessert.

Hot fudge, indeed!

As you can imagine, this is where the road gets rocky. Standards and Practices at the unnamed broadcast network initially balked (though, were the tryst to play out on a pay cabler like HBO or Showtime, no one would so much as blush). Eventually, I hear the debate escalated to the highest office at the network – the forward-thinking president – and the scene was OK’d. (Of course, anything can change between now and the airdate.)

RELATED | Ask Ausiello — Spoilers on Grey’s Anatomy, The Big Bang Theory, Vampire Diaries and More!

Now, while the series in question has pushed the envelope before, sexually speaking, this incident is still bound to raise eyebrows. But should it? After all, the broadcast networks — competing as they are with the likes of Game of Thrones, Dexter and Boardwalk Empire — have been getting racier for years (and years). Wasn’t it just a matter of time before they leveled the playing field? And should the network prez be lauded for having the guts to do just that?

Oh, and while you’re you’re busy discussing whether greenlighting the bit is smart business or evidence of moral decay, perhaps you’d also like to take a stab at guessing the identity of the couple in question?

1. Kelly says:

MOst likely this will be a show that airs in the later timeslot. So we have Good Wife, Castle, Hawaii 5-0, PP, Parenthood, CSI, Scandal, and Blue Bloods… Am I missing any? I think with looking at the shows characters and storylines coming up the only 2 possible choices would be PP, Good Wife or Scandal.

2. Billy says:

Eating a vagina sundae, I just don’t see how it’s related to any storylines. Anyway my first thought goes to Chuck and Blair , Chuck is totally the sort of guy … although I can’t see B taking a spoonful of steamy ice cream if you see what I mean .They already had piano sex , limo sex , elevator sex , Serena and drugs and a terrible threesome so it might just fit in. GG is all about scandals and shocking, since the show itself is a lame.
    -Vampire diaries : No too much drama going they ain’t got time for steamy sex.
    -Castle/Fringe/Bones : Kate/Olivia/Temperance are just not those kind of girls .
    -GA : maybe Callie and Arizona remember that shower scene cuz I do .Christina and Owen need to work somethings out before anything. and MerDer is boring.
    -Downton Abbey : I peed in my pants, Mary is pretty kinky though

• madbengalsfan85 says:

Could see Brennan going there (suggested ice cream sex in “The Don’t in the Do”) but still unlikely. Booth definitely wouldn’t go there, way too prudish. I’ll reconsider my stance if they go through with the washing machine sex DB teased at Comic-Con

3. C says:

I would pretty much put money on this being a TGW scene involving Kalinda. The Kings push these boundaries fairly often and I can’t think of very many other “randy” characters out there on broadcast tv that could pull a scene like that off AND get it passed Standards and Practices. I think the bigger question is probably the identity of her scene partner. I’d bet on Lana, but I think ex-hubby Nick could be just as likely.

• C says:

Oh I don’t read carefully enough. Definitely not Lana. But I still think Kalinda is involved. I just have a hard time seeing her on a “date” with a man that prompted her chair/gun montage in the S3 finale. Hmmmm….

4. Evan says:

Its Modern Family.

The last time we saw a in flagrante moment between Claire and Phil you saw that they liked a position you normally would never see anywhere on Broadcast TV. Not to mention their love of role play.

That’s the couple on ABC allowed to indulge in a more adventurous sexual side.

5. bean says:

Daniel and Ashley on Revenge.

6. Britta Unfiltered says:

That doesn’t sound hot, that sounds really gross, actually. Even if it were a couple I thought were hot together (like John Slattery and Christina Hendricks) that is seriously the last freaking thing I would want to see on my TV. It’s really lacking in class. I would so much just rather see a naked couple banging than see someone licking her own vagina juice off another person’s fingers. I hope whatever show this is decides to show some class instead and nixes the scene. I’m going to guess it’s Grey’s Anatomy since it’s a pretty tacky show and seems like something they would do, probably with the lesbian couple, whatever their names are. I honestly can’t remember. Also the The Good Wife seems like a good option since they have been getting racier lately. Probably with Kalinda. Yuck, so gross, I need to get this picture out of my head now.

• TigerNightmare says:

I’m really surprised that you would suggest censoring something. But I guess I can see Britta pretending to promote envelope pushing while throwing up inside.

7. Alex says:

Whoever is commenting that it is Castle then I’m sorry but I don’t think you know the show too well. This would be so out of place for that show and I love it, but a scene like that doesn’t belong on Castle.

I honestly think it’s going to be The Good Wife, some of the scenes I’ve watched on that show have gotten pretty racy. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if it was that show.

8. Leina Cochrane says:

I think non cable tv should be more modest. It makes it so that there is one place where you don’t have to pay for the broadcast & sort of know you can watch most of the content w/o blushing in all sorts of mixed company. The other channels you pay for what you know you’re getting. I don’t see why there has to be a “playing field” to level.

9. Annie says:

Guys, think about it. It’s not on TVD. While often graphic, TVD is never THAT sexually explicit. And sorry, but that doesn’t fit any of the TVD couples…not even Caroline and Tyler. If this blind item actually ends up applying to TVD, I’ll be pretty shocked.

10. Lucy says:

That thing isn’t unethical at all. It’s just hideously unhygienic. Too much to be sexy if your first thought is “puke”. Next time can we have something also involving snot? It would make everything a lot racier.

• Annie says:

Ah, so of course you’re against all forms of oral sex, then.

Grow up. Really.

• Klover says:

Seriously. What’s with so many people being grossed out by their own bodies? Sad, really. They’re denying themselves some feel good stuff – and I bet their partners are bored senseless.

• JULES says:

OR it’s just not their thing- believe it or not, there are people who don’t like it. Nothing wrong with that. I like that you tell them to “grow up” though. In what way does that even make sense? And assuming their partner is bored with them? Gosh, people just have to be nasty to others that have differing opinions.

11. matthew c says:

This sounds like the Good Wife. They already get away with pretty racy stuff, and it sounds like something Kalinda might be involved in.

However, it could also be Revenge which does push the envelope fairly often.

12. Leo says:

It’s something on NBC, but what?

13. Pearl says:

You really need to fin the clues hidding here, so, lets try go for parts:

1 – Hit Drama in October: So we can despise every new show!

2 – “what goes down between one of the show’s randier couples”: This ouple has ALREADY played kink stuff, or, at least, is very sexual.

3 – “Lovers on a Date”: Not every couple on TV has “dates” so or they are serious, or they are beggining their relationship.

4 – “Male Half”: It’s an Heterossexual couple.

5 – “Under her dress”: Again, not all female character wear dresses.

6 – “Frisky female”: This girl is fun, playful.

7 – “Standards and Practices at the unnamed broadcast network initially balked”: So, the sensate move would be not shown it. That means that it could be a show that plays BEFORE 10PM, so it would be too risky to put in the air.

8 – “the forward-thinking president”: This is not a president that thinks conservative, so the shows that are airing on his network are modern and fresh.
    ABC: In the last years have becoming a fresh network, and sometimes controversal, like with TGGB, Revenge, Don’t trust the B in apartment 23, Shonda’s shows (all very sexual).
    CBS: Does not have too much boundaries about what air, to be honest, Two and a Half Men was allways about sex, HIMYM, The Good Wife knows how to be intense, although, the shows are not that shocking.
    FOX: Without Glee and the animated series, their shows are very much traditional, OUT!
    NBC: They brought a show to rivalize American Idol, they’ll air The New Normal, not an easy show, Their comedy’s are preety much “reality style”, BUT it doesn’t have a HIT drama in it’s schedule. OUT!
    CW: For teenagers, yes, but very high sexual content. Fron 90210 to Gossip Girl, the casual sex is everywhere. BUT their shows are too “same of same old”, 90210, Nikita and Beauty and the Beast are remakes. TVD and GG are about romances, and Supernatural it’s as supernatural as the most of their shows. OUT!

So we can keep in mind 2 network: ABC and CBS.
    Hit dramas rolling in october:
    Once Upon a Time, Revenge, Grey’s Anatomy, Private Practice, Scandal, Castle, CSI:NY, NCIS, Mentalist and Good Wife.

9 – “while the series in question has pushed the envelope before, sexually speaking, this incident is still bound to raise eyebrows.”: So we can cross of CSI:NY, Mentalist, NCIS, Castle and ONCE Upon a Time. Scandal is too new, and apart the scene in the hotel with Olivia, didn’t make to much on the area. Revenge, that is an amazing show, didn’t do much on the sex theme either.
    So the probably shows are: Greys, PP and GW.

10 – “competing as they are with the likes of Game of Thrones, Dexter and Boardwalk Empire” : I dont believe that these are just references, if you want to talk sex on cable you talk True Blood. So, which shows compete with the quoted shows?
    Dexter and Boardwalk Empire compete with Good Wife, Game of Thrones wont be in october.

Good Wife wins!

Now, wich couple? Since Kalinda wouldn’t be the passive part of action?
    The playful lady doesn’t sound like Alicia, and this reference: ” perhaps you’d also like to take a stab at guessing the identity of the couple in question?” and the use of “lovers” could mean a betrayal involved. I’m going for the kinkiest couple of the show, that did just a similar thing already:

Eli and his nemesis Stacie Hall!

14. rachelle says:

lmao, i’m definitely thinking The Good Wife!! I would just DIE if it was Castle, but i doubt it cause they haven’t done anything crazy racy before as the article says. only network show I’ve seen push the envelope like that is TGW w/ that oral sex scene. either way, i hope it’s a show i watch!!!

15. brianne says:

please be the good wife

16. Bubbles526 says:

“…the series in question has pushed the envelope before, sexually speaking…”

Well, darn! That means it’s definitely not B&B on Bones, huh?

17. Mary Beth says:

The Vampire Diaries

18. Batman@thebatcave.com says:

Grey’s Anatomy

19. Ella says:

I’m sorry but that just sounds gross.

20. Jen says:

In the order I think most likely……….Good Wife, PP, Scandal, Grey’s, Revenge and lastly Castle. It would not surprise me if the couple in question were married. This would make it more acceptable for some people and possibly the network. That being said I can totally see Kalinda (TGW), Callie (GA), and Nolan (Revenge) doing this.

21. Sara says:

Sounds like TGW to me and I think it’s Kalinda and Nick. The article makes it out as a sweet date, but I don’t think it is. I read an interview with the Kings and Archie, and they described Kalinda and Nick’s relationship as one trying to be dominating over the other, an endless power struggle, even sexually, and this might be one scene of it. Nick’s being smug and kinda ruining Kalinda’s ice cream and Kalinda eats it anyway to show that she doesn’t care, that she isn’t afraid of getting dirty or something. I don’t know.

22. davy says:

Its the big bang theory and its not as risqua as the article make out….

23. Tina says:

I would be surprised if it was Grey’s. The females are rarely in dresses unless it’s a special event. 99% of the time they are in scrubs or jeans.They must have the cheapest wardrobe expense on network TV. Also Rhimes doesn’t do “dates” on this show. I can count the dates on one hand in eight years.

24. Sunny Gee says:

I’m guessing Diane Lockhart and Kurt McVeigh from TGW. :)

25. TjayGrl says:

it’s possible that Castle’s new season coming up could be what “pushing the envelope” means. We have not seen the season yet, so who knows how our Castle and Beckett’s bed scenes will be like

26. Well, based from this:
    Question: How about a clue on your latest blind item? —Dan Ausiello: The network is ABC. Or CBS.

Read More at: http://tvline.com/2012/09/11/greys-anatomy-spoilers-glee-justified-gossip-girl/#utm_source=copypaste&utm_campaign=referral

I’ll say The Good Wife…

27. Steffi says:

It is definitely the Good Wife. If you pick up the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly, they have a Fall Preview special and in it they mention that the Good Wife will be pushing the boundaries this season in terms of sexual content especially with one particular scene with Kalinda. Blind Item=Blown!

28. Ruby says:

Omg, I have to laugh at the terms “garbage” “trash” “disgusting” “filth” and “blah blah blah”. Seriously? You can’t see the hotness there? You cant imagine the intense attraction of a couple flirting and touching in corner booth until they cant take it any longer and have to either take it to the bedroom or go their seperate ways? Wow, well if not, my guess is that a lot of those nay sayers will be feeling hot and bothered and maybe a little guilty as they watch the steamy scene. Don’t stress if your lady bits tingle, that is a good thing! Try to enjoy.

29. Adam says:

Nashville? maybe Hayden Panettiere will be the lucky lady.

30. Izzie Duquette says:

I’m almost sure it’s Chuck and Blair on the Gossip Girl premiere. That’s happening in October, and the show has had what would be considered racy scenes on US TV. And it would so fit them :)

31. Andie says:

Probably The Good Wife or possibly (though not as likely) Private Practice. I frankly can’t really imagine an ice cream parlor scene on Grey’s Anatomy happening in the first place and Castle doesn’t fit the requirement of having pushed the envelope sexually in the past so that’s out. So yeah, my vote is TGW as most likely.

32. Xanadu says:

First show/couple I thought of is Charlotte and Cooper from Private Practice. Plus, wasn’t there an article the other day on Shonda saying she had to talk to the Stanards and Practices people recently? My money is on Private Practice being the blind item.

33. Sable says:

The first show I thought of when I read this was “Revenge.”