Fall TV Preview

American Horror Story Vet Frances Conroy Enters Asylum — Find Out Who She'll Play

American Horror Story Asylum Frances ConroyFrances Conroy is the latest star of American Horror Story Season 1 to join the spooky FX series’ second chapter, subtitled Asylum.

Showrunner Ryan Murphy announced the Emmy nominee’s casting via Twitter on Wednesday, revealing that AHS: Asylum will involve “devils and angels,” with Conroy playing “the ultimate angel.” (In Season 1, she shared the role of haunted house-keeper Moira with Alexandra Breckenridge.)

As previously revealed by the Glee boss, Asylum – which centers on a circa-1960s East Coast institution for the insane, run by Jessica Lange’s character — “is about sanity and tackling real life horrors.”

RELATED | Hot Video: Meet the Denizens of American Horror Story‘s Asylum

Like Conroy and Lange, Zachary Quinto, Sarah Paulson, Evan Peters and Lily Rabe (who in Season 1 played Chad, Billie Dean, Tate and Nora, respectively) will return for Asylum, but as completely new characters.

Brand-new to AHS, meanwhile, are Big Love’s Chloe Sevigny (as a nympho patient), FlashForward’s Joseph Fiennes (priest), Oscar nominee James Cromwell (doctor/adversary for Lange), French actress Lizzie Brocheré and Maroon 5′s Adam Levine, while Britne Oldford, Clea Duvall, Jenna Dewan, Franka Potente and Mark Consuelos are among the recurring and guest stars.

American Horror Story: Asylum launches Wednesday, Oct. 17 at 10/9c.

Comments (16)

• Yay! She can’t be on enough TV.

Comment by aleksa – September 5, 2012 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope she has many scenes with Jessica Lange. They make tv gold!

Comment by Javier Jiménez Bresciani – September 5, 2012 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She was in my top 3 of actors to return from the first one. Can’t wait.

Comment by A – September 5, 2012 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She and James Cromwell need to have scenes together. They were so good on Six Feet Under

Comment by Montie – September 5, 2012 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yesss! Every scene she shared with Jessica Lange was pure amazing. I am so excited for the new season, it’s not healthy.

Comment by Rrrrrr – September 5, 2012 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seeing as she played the maid, maybe she will play someone more in power. But she definitely needs scenes with Lange.

Comment by Marty – September 5, 2012 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chris Zylka from The Secret Circle is also going to be in season 2( yay!)

Comment by tvaddict – September 5, 2012 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I couldn’t believe she got passed over originally for being among the returning players from season one. This is great news!

Comment by Andy – September 5, 2012 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish Kate Mara would come back.

Comment by popculturewithkyle – September 5, 2012 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my gosh, Joseph Fiennes is going to be playing a priest???? How very Thorn Birds. I like it. I like it a lot. Oh, and good news about Frances Conroy, but I feel all meltey inside from hearing the Joseph Fiennes news. It’s all I can think about. Let The Thorn Birds fantasies begin….now.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – September 5, 2012 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This makes me sooo happy! Love this actress. I don’t think she was passed over, I’m betting she had other things on the table and waited to see if she could fit it in. It says a lot that Murphy held a spot for her.

Comment by Denise@americanhorrorstoryfan – September 6, 2012 02:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s brilliant, and yes the AHS I scenes with Lange were gems. The banter, bitterness, and wicked touche shoot downs were priceless. One of the best character actresses on television at the moment, hands down.

Comment by Ryan – September 6, 2012 04:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh Megan! What are you thinking?! Reporting something Ryan Murphy says as fact. Anything that man says should be taken with a grain of salt…

Comment by Brock – September 6, 2012 08:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hi there, You have performed a fantastic job. I will definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I’m confident they will be benefited from this website.

Comment by estate agents in nottingham – November 1, 2012 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely love Frances Conroy, she was phenomenal in ‘Six Feet Under’ and is shamefully undervalued by the television and film industry.
    If she’s only appearing in one episode of the second season then it’s a terrible oversight by the producers. When will these fools realise just how much she brings to any project she has ever been involved in and make greater use of her incredible talent?
    She had such excellent chemistry with James Cromwell in ‘Six Feet Under’ it would be quite surreal to see them work together on ‘American Horror Story, Asylum’.

Comment by Helen – November 24, 2012 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post