Grey's Anatomy: Desperate Housewives' Steven Culp to Play Doctor

Grey’s Anatomy is adding a bit of Rex appeal — as in Rex Van De Kamp — with the casting of Desperate Housewives alum Steven Culp in a recurring role.

As reported by our sister site Deadline, Culp will recur during Season 9 of the ABC drama in the role of Dr. Parker, a top surgeon. It is not clear if Parker practices at Seattle Grace or elsewhere, given that some of the residents’ fates were in play at the close of last season.

RELATED | Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Grey’s Anatomy‘s Troubled Derek and More

In addition to Housewives, Culp’s TV credits include runs on JAG, The West Wing and Traveler (wow, remember that one?), plus guest spots on myriad shows, most recently Drop Dead Diva, Longmire and Perception.

RELATED | Exclusive: Grey’s Anatomy to Air Standalone Meredith/Cristina-Centric Episode

Grey’s Season 9 premieres Thursday, Sept. 27.

1. Colleen says:

The ability to pick slightly obscure and amazing projects actors have done makes reading TVline that much more fun.

2. Sienna says:

Aww I really liked Traveler. It had a fun cast, Culp, Viola Davis, Matt Bomer, Logan Marshall Green and Aaron Stanford!

3. Holly says:

I don’t remember Traveler at all. I may have missed it due to my own frequent travel at the time it was on. Steven Culp was good in the role of Rex on DH. Look forward to seeing him on Grey’s.

4. Oh. My. Gosh. Is it just me or is this the 305794513985 cast addition as a recurring to Grey’s Anatomy this season? And, this, after Shonda Rhimes said last season that season 8 bloodbath, she’d focus on the characters she already had.

Having said that, he’ll always be BDSM Rex to me.

5. Lauren says:

He is a good actor but I hope Grey’s doesn’t get too bloated like they did a few a seasons back with the hospital merger. Geez Shonda please don’t be hiring a bunch of new people just to kill off in another massacre. I was hoping this season would focus more on the core group.

6. Billie says:

I hope he’s the new love interest for Alex. It doesn’t worked with the girls he should give it a shot.

7. Ninna says:

I hope he’s the new love interest of Cris. She deserves someone who understands and accepts her for who she is. And no the ‘flying dick’ which when doesn’t get things his way, go to whores. The McCheater can be going to Iraque. Being older maybe Dr. Parker doesn’t long for kids anymore or already have had them.