Seth MacFarlane to Host SNL Season Premiere

Seth MacFarlane SNLSaturday Night Live will kick off its 38th season Sept. 15 with host Seth MacFarlane and musical guest Frank Ocean, NBC announced Wednesday morning.

This marks the Family Guy creator’s first turn as host.

UPDATE: Seth MacFarlane On ‘SNL’ — The Best & Worst Skits

Other confirmed SNL emcees include Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Sept. 22, alongside musical guest Mumford & Sons), and James Bond himself, Daniel Craig (October 6, with musical guest Muse). Gordon-Levitt previously hosted in 2009; Craig, who’s promoting his latest 007 mission, Skyfall, will be making his SNL debut.

PHOTOS | The 10 Best SNL Sketches From Last Season

SNL is set to return next month down at least three cast members, including Kristen Wiig, Andy Samberg and Abby Elliott. Rumors abound that Jason Sudeikis may also call it quits.

Thoughts on the first batch of hosts?

1. Solid musical guests and hosts, but who of the cast is still left? At this point it’s going to be Seth Macfarlane in a room with Bill Hader and Jason Sudeikis making funny faces live from New York.

• Yeah, I’m kinda surprised they haven’t announced any new cast members yet. I mean, the premiere’s less than three weeks away.

BTW, great hosts. Seth is gonna kill it. Plus, Levitt was great the first time around.

• Tricia says:

I’d watch that.

• mawhi says:

Hopefully Jay Pharoah and Nasim Pedrad will get more to do than the odd impression. This could be the year of Vanessa Bayer and Taran Killam. Also, they cast Kate McKinnon towards the end of last year and she seems pretty awesome.

I’m looking forward to new casting too, but I think they’ll be just fine.

2. Marvin says:

Daniel Craig in comedy ? That is gonna be worth takin a look !

3. Olly says:

They need to get Bradley Cooper to host.

4. noa says:

i hope Amy Poehler hosts again this year. maybe if she finally wins that Emmy she deserves…

5. mawhi says:

Ugh, bland. Not terrible but…

6. JFK says:

McFarlane and JGL will do fine, but Daniel Craig? The man has zero personality. I’m expecting him to bomb as host.

7. Juan says:

I love Joseph Gordon-levitt and Mumford & sons, JGL is the best

8. Oh yeah, and BTW, Andy HAS to come back for the premiere to do his Mark Wahlberg impression for the Ted sketch.

9. Karen says:

YES! Three awesome hosts!

10. Bethany says:

Really excited that JGL is hosting, but now I’m super bummed that Abby Elliot is leaving. I wanted to see JGL on Being Quirky with Zooey Deschanel!

11. anna says:

yay stewie!

12. lucas says:

I have a feeling 007 will do a surprisingly good job.

13. To Jim says:

Jason Sudeikis does the Romney impression so he needs to stay. I think he’s offended at the big send off they gave Wiig. What are he and Andy? Chopped liver? They weren’t mentioned at all. She’s talented but so many truly horrible characters are gone, thank goodness.They better get to begging. I’d hate so see anybody else do Mitt. They’ll need it so often it doesn’t make sense to just bring him back for constant guest starring.

• Definitely Not To Jim says:

To Jim? What a random thing to say my ‘name’ is TVLine. ;) I was like “who’s Jim?’ Did I reply to a Jim in the past, and it got stuck? Oh well.

• John says:

Andy’s sendoff was his digital short. He did part 2 of his first digital short ever and included the line “this is how I started it and this is how I finish it” (or something along those lines)

Sudekis was not confirmed to be leaving at the time, he was considering it and weighing his options. That said there were only two confirmed people leaving, wiig and samberg, thus their own sendoffs

14. kristaspurr says:

Daniel Craig did some bits with Catherine Tate for Red Nose Day in the UK and it was hysterical (should be able to find it on YouTube). He can handle SNL.

15. Zoe says:

Oh, cool! McFarlane, Craig and JGL will all make for worthy watching. The heart has been ripped out of the cast, but that’s happened dozens of times before.

(But can Mariska Hargitay host some day? Pleeeease?)

16. Angela says:

Ooooh, cool, Muse will be the musical guest on the October 6th show? YES! Happy birthday to me :D!

17. Sarabi says: