Pretty Little Liars Post Mortem: Is [Spoiler] Really a Member of Team 'A'? Series Boss Reveals All!

Pretty Little Liars Toby SpencerWell, color us shocked. After watching last night’s Pretty Little Liars midseason finale — and seemingly learning the identity of another Team ‘A’ member — we immediately latched onto one theory: Toby has gone undercover as one of Rosewood’s Big Bads!

How else could you possibly explain Spencer’s doting beau and Emily’s longtime defender working in cahoots with MonA and a handful of hoodie-wearing troublemakers?

Unfortunately for the Liars — and all of you PLL devotees out there — that may not be the case at all.

Here, exec producer Oliver Goldstick tells TVLine exclusively why the current theory on ol’ Pretty Eyes is likely not the right one. Plus, find out what’s ahead in Season 3B of the ABC Family drama for Aria, Ezra, Hanna, Caleb, Emily and Paige and much more.

TVLINE | I’m calling Toby’s bluff. I think he’s infiltrating the ‘A’ Team as a way to help the girls.
I’m not so sure about that. You’re going to find out some stuff in Season 3B… Don’t forget what those girls did. No one stood up for him when he was put away in juvie hall because of Alison. Those other four girls were passive; no one defended him or did anything. Just remember that.

RELATED | Spoilers on Gossip Girl, How I Met Your Mother, Glee, 90210, Revenge, Once Upon a Time & More!

TVLINE | Interesting. I thought he was a double agent because when he left in the first half of Season 3, he said he was going to figure out what was going on regardless of what Spencer would or would not tell him.
That’s true, that’s true.

TVLINE | But your advice to fans would be to not jump to that conclusion?
Fans are going to learn more in 3B about Toby’s history and how he felt about being put away by Alison and her posse. The mystery of Toby, his motivation and why he’d do this to the girls is explored.

TVLINE | Why, then, would he come back and sleep with Spencer?
People punish people for many reasons and on many levels… Just don’t put it past him, OK? He’s Jenna’s stepbrother, too. People really mess with people in Rosewood. [Laughs]

TVLINE | So, if fans were to go back and re-watch the series thus far, they would pick up on Bad Toby teases?
I think they could, yeah. They could find moments that make them question and really doubt; moments that will make you say, “Oh my gosh, has this person been playing them all along?” — particularly Spencer, obviously.

TVLINE | Speaking of Jenna… Can we assume she is good-ish now?
Maybe this mythology will help: Jenna left town in Episode 11 [of this season] because she was really scared of Nate. He realized that the only person who saw him leaving that backyard was the blind girl, so he thought he had a pass. And when he finds out that Jenna had been able to see, that scares the s–t out of him. If Jenna had stayed in town, Nate may have gone after her… The idea was that he felt exposed. As far as Jenna  goes, she had to leave town for her own safety. I’m not saying that’s the end of Jenna and you’ll never see her again, but she’s leaving for a bit.

TVLINE | The Maggie storyline was left way open in the finale. Is it safe to assume we’ll see Larisa Oleynik back next season?
You will definitely see her in 3B. She will serve as a true threat to [Aria and Ezra's] relationship.

RELATED | ABC Family Orders More Bunheads, Renews Switched at Birth and 2 Others, Cancels Jane

TVLINE | Secrets always come out on Pretty Little Liars… So, how in the world can Ezra forgive Aria for helping keep his son away from him — when and if he finds out?
It’s explosive. It’s yet another huge obstacle for this couple. What we’re trying to tap into is that Aria’s out of her league here. This is something that most teenagers wouldn’t have to deal with — it’s a lot. It doesn’t mean it’s insurmountable, but it definitely is a game-changer.

TVLINE | Does that reveal come out pretty quickly in 3B?
No. The longer you hold on to secrets, the worse they get.

TVLINE | Why did Emily rush past Paige in the finale, when she, too, was a victim?
I wouldn’t read too much into that. It was a traumatic event… You know who is hurt now [Caleb], and [Hanna was] the person Emily wanted to comfort. Paige is fairly traumatized herself [in Season 3B]. And if you think her parents were strict before… She’s now going to be locked in a fort! [Laughs]

TVLINE | Who shot Caleb?
That will be answered, and will come out pretty quickly.

TVLINE | Are Caleb and Hanna now able to be out in the open with their relationship?
More so, yes. We will address [after the Halloween episode] some of the questions you’re asking about ‘Haleb,’ whether they’re under the radar or above the radar… Because ‘A’s been watching them all along, anyway.

TVLINE | What about evil-ish Toby and Spencer? Are they sticking together?
Oh, yes. And it’s kind of hair-raising because of how much they are letting him in and how intimate Spencer is with him… You know something the girls don’t.

TVLINE | Crucial question: How does Mona come in and out of the asylum so easily?!
She’s a crazy wench. [Laughs] The thing about Mona next season, which is so great, is that she’s as smart as Spencer. She just uses her intelligence for very devious purposes. She’s a really bright girl… She’s like a little squirrel; she stores up her acorns, but they’re radioactive acorns that turn into hand grenades… Mona may also be back in Rosewood sooner than you think, [as is revealed in] our Season 3B opener. She’s back to torture our girls in a whole new way.

TVLINE | Are you comfortable confirming that we now know two members of Team ‘A,’ Mona and Toby, and that there is a possible third member whose back was to the audience in the finale?

TVLINE | Do you know who the third person is? Or is it something you’re still writing toward?
We’re writing to it, but we know who it is.

TVLINE | Someone we know?
Yes. You know this person, yes.

TVLINE | Let’s end on one of your signature vague-but-juicy teases for the coming season.
I think the enemy being amongst us is a lot scarier than the enemy within. Season 3B is about what happens when it’s standing right before you — in your face and under your roof.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Finales, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Brittany says:

A-Ali
    T-Toby
    E-Ezra
    A-Ashley
    M-Mona

I started thinking, we obviously know about Mona and Toby. I think Ezra is involved because he received money right after Jason had a reward for information about Ali’s death. Also, Ezra probably knew Ali and was involved with her (since she went to college parties) as he would have still been a student at Holis. Now either it was him or, bear with me for a second..Hannah’s mom Ashley drinking the vodka with “Ali’s” body in the freezer. Ashley is a little too involved with Hannah’s life. She seems as more of a friend than a parent like all the other girls’ parents are. Technically Ali was a frenemy to Hannah (Ali would put down Hannah because of her weight, etc.) so obviously Ashley wouldn’t like her. Plus, it would be someone “Under your roof” as she lives with Hannah.
    Someone has to pay for all the supplies, to be able to rent a room at the cabin for months…only an adult could pay for those little luxuries that a high school student couldn’t pay for. Honestly Ashley is the most suspicious of the parents, assuming there is a parent that’s involved.
    If there really are 5 members of the ATEAM (five black hoodies) and five letters in the word “ATEAM” then those guesses would complete the five members.
    Let’s not forget the club that Garrett, Jason, Ian (and I assume Melissa and Jenna) belonged to. There has got to be a reason why this club came into play…
    I love reading everyone’s guesses! It keeps me thinking! Can’t wait for PLL to return!

2. ama says:

I wonder if it might be Aria in control at times. Think about it, Ali was with her through the discovery of her dad’s disgressions, and then the divorce and such tore her life apart. Maybe enough to have her become the A that Ali was firghtened of? Parents divorcing can bring a person to a very dark place, and then on top of that, most of the things A has done to her have either not really impacted that much, or have actually benefited her in a way. She was forced to drive away ezra’s ex as she was getting a bit to close anyways, her relationship was outed when it was turning into to much of a bother, Her dad kinda stopped interfering with the Ezra relationship because conveniently the mistress came back, She seems to be able to hold her secrets slightly better than the others, She doesn’t have an attached A person, The song that spells out Maya knew that Mona sang had her name in it(hint maybe?). The doll in the finale that had the black hoodie was hers. Toby might have joined over the whole wren thing, but maybe he isn’t telling Spencer not because he doesn’t love her but because Aria is to close, vengance from A has been proven to be something to worry about. Also, as far as the 3B thing, if Ezra’s apartment is 3b, maybe there will be more of a reveal from the mother of his child, it seems silly that Aria would stay quite about it all, i’m sure he would want to know, which would make him more greatful. I wouldn’t rule out him possibly being connected to Ali, yet maybe him being in those flashbacks is more of a hint on how she found out about it. She could be targeting him, he has suffered more by A then she has. Also, A getting all that money in the one teaser, couldd have been her, maybe the car thing did happen, just more by her setting it up then him. It would be a real twist to have her involved. Plus that would cover the drugging of Emily. She could have also put the earing in paige’s bag way before Spencer found it. That earring could be a small hint. She was not there so no one would think of her, and possibly Caleb could be involved as A, their group has been under a lot of suspicion by the police, the only way for Emily to not get arrested, would have been Lyndon/nate shooting him. It clears her.He set the gun down where he could get to it, it just seems like odd placement,. Plus, all the tech knowledge that Caleb has would help in explaining certain events, and possibly part of how A knows so much about everyone. Caleb also got lucky on guessing where she was, he was swift on deciding it was a set up all along, going to find Emily seemed rushed, he seemed to know, then sent them the other way to throw them off, he could have called to warn emily knowing that nate/lyndon had thrown off the whole plan. Maybe he wanted her to find clues because they don’t want the liars dead or arrested. Although, with the call, the gun placement, him showing up alone maybe he was hoping that Emily would die and he would still look like the hero. They could test hands for gun residue, which they would do in a crime like that, which would prove who shot who. Aria and him would have the insight to know how Emily would react to the call which would have given the leg up to start that mini domino effect. Then on top of that, Caleb’s mom got in an accident, and then gave him the car, slightly convenient I think. Specially in timing and with how far away she is.

Anyways, i’m just trying to view it from a slightly less prredicted angle. I could be wrong.

3. jayne says:

If Toby is actually part of Team A and has just been playing Spencer, I will be done with the show. I don’t say things like that and I usually don’t like when people do, but messing with Toby and Toby/Spencer like that is just too far!

4. Jennifer says:

Will we EVER find out who the main A is??

5. Anonymous says:

The show is called Pretty little liars and another thing I think A is one of the girls cause why are the ones who are never suspected?. There must be a twist somewhere. A could be anyone but I honestly think that Alison is not dead and she is playing her friends.

6. Sally says:

this could be way off but does anyone think paige could still be an A?
    and before you write this off, I KNOW she got a text from A (which was shown at the bottom by the way) but what if this was a direction from the big A? there clearly is someone in charge of the A team and my bet is Alison as it could be her twin’s body that they found, and remember that A in the red coat who went and visited Mona at RS? I don’t picture Toby wearing a red coat and Alison’s alter ego Vivian was always seen wearing a red coat. Coincidence?
    anyways I think Paige is still another A, I think she called Emily from the cupboard telling her to get out, also explains why she didn’t kick the door or something to get Emily’s attention when Lyndon was out, and also this explains the “I owe you one” call emily received at the hospital. I still think people in the A team get texts off of the big A giving them directions, Mona did, and although people could say this was her trying to get the girls off her trail, I think it was something the big A was ordering her to do. I don’t know, just a few thoughts..

• Sally says:

AlSO I think the NAT club knew about Ali’s twin and knew that she’s still alive and are helping keep her hidden from the liars

7. Sally says:

ALSO (haha sorry) if they knew about Ali’s twin it could be why they had the 5th page of the coroner’s report? Maybe there was something in it that cast doubt on whether it was actually Ali or not in the body bag

8. Spoby!! says:

I’m sort of disappointed with the ending of the mid finale. I really loved this show because of the A problems but I loved it way more because of spencer and Toby!! I watched 1×19 over 100 times because of their scene!! I would be alright with it if he were trying to help them BUT IF HE’S AGAINST SPENCER I WILL GO JUMP IN A HOLE RIGHT NOW AND NEVER RETURN!!!! -cries-

I hope spoby will last!

9. Henry says:

I don’t get why people like this show. The plot is weak. My biggest problem is that why “A” and “The A Team” want to harm the Liars to the point of killing people? They must have very strong motives to do that, especially “A” is a team of several people. Are they just a bunch of psychos? It doesn’t make sense at all.

10. Wilfredo says:

I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you make this
    website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you?

Plz answer back as I’m looking to design my own blog and would like to find out where u got this from. cheers

11. Such a excellent post and definitely served to clear my head a little bit