Grey's Anatomy Exclusive: Season 9 to Feature a Wedding — But Who Is Getting Hitched?

Grey's Anotomy WeddingExtra! Extra! Somebody’s getting married!

No, we’re not channeling the show-stopping closing number from The Muppets Take Manhattan — we’re previewing Grey’s Anatomy‘s upcoming Season 9.

Series creator Shonda Rhimes tells TVLine exclusively that the ABC drama’s new season will find one of the show’s couples exchanging “I dos.”

“We are going to have a wedding this season,” Rhimes confirmed. “But that’s all I’m going to say.”

VIDEO | Lost (and NSFW)  Grey’s Anatomy Scene Features Jackson, Mark and ‘Sex Play’

Considering that three of the show’s main duos — Derek/Mer, Cristina/Owen, Callie/Arizona — have already taken the plunge, that leaves Bailey/Ben and Jackson/April as the perceived frontrunners.

Of course, a lot can happen over the course of a 24-episode season. For instance, Rhimes reveals that longtime bachelor Alex will at long last exorcize the ghost of Izzie. “I feel like it’s time,” she says. “We’re going to watch Alex really grow up and step up this season and find real love with somebody who doesn’t leave him for once.”

Another possible nuptial scenario: Adele’s ongoing losing battle with Alzheimer’s could clear the way for the Chief to marry Jackson’s mom, Catherine (Debbie Allen, who is confirmed to return).

Who do you think will walk down the aisle in Season 9? Hit the comments with your predictions. And remember, Season 9 of Grey’s Anatomy premieres Thursday, Sept. 27 at 9/8c.

1. Derek/Meredith might have an actual wedding. If not, I’m going to say Bailey/Ben since I’m pretty sure they’re already engaged.

• Marie says:

They did have an actual wedding at city hall when they wanted to adopt so I don’t think that’s them!

• audrey says:

But mer -Der already got married at city hall

• Keyandre says:

I honestly think, within the next 24 episodes, Bailey and Ben’s relationship will take a turn for the worst and they’ll end up break up. And guess who will be there to comfort her again. Chief!!! I think Bailey and Chief will then get back together – getting married towards the end of the season!

• momo says:

O.O… i don’t think they were ever together before though… Their relationship is really nice and we can see that they are close but it’s more like she is the one who speaks up when no one dare and she is not afraid of the Chief and he let her get away with it. That’s how i see their relationship. But it never been romantic between those two…

2. Elyse says:

Ben/Bailey. Chandra Wilson or Shonda (can’t recall which) already said it in an interview a couple of weeks ago.

3. jessedanie says:

the chief and jackson’s mom are going to hookup but a wedding is not in play, it would be too soon for the chief… i think they will just enjoy each other’s company

4. Sara says:

Boring, there’s nothing interesting who can get married, except for Bailey and Ben which is boring.

5. ktbanks says:

Bailey and Ben are already engaged….so….yeah.
    But then again, it’s Grey’s. Stranger things have happened. Ghost Denny, anybody?

6. Paul B says:

Well, technically Mer/Der never officially married. It’s only Post-It note official, right? Maybe this is all a bait-and-switch for us to speculate on those other couples but then finalize those nuptials for what will hopefully be its sunset season.

7. Well, if it will be Miranda & Ben – I expect either she says ‘no’ or he dies at the wedding… April and Jackson doesn’t sound that bad…

• Tina says:

I think April and Jackson…..she’s gonna turn up pregnant and they are gonna get married. I like them together for some odd reason.

• Tereasa says:

I agree. I see April turning up pregnant. Being a virgin and wanting to wait, I’m assuming that she wasn’t taking birthcontrol!

8. Joy says:

OK A question. Have Derek/Mer ever had a ‘real’ wedding? just wondering if they could be doing that.

9. Kim says:

I don’t really care who gets married but I loved the Muppets Take Manhattan clip!

10. the girl says:

I hope that it is none of the couples mentioned above (Jackson/April, Bailey/Ben, Webber/Catherine) and is instead a couple that is being introduced early on and we will watch their relationship blossom in that direction throughout season 9.

• Els says:

I’m hoping for a happy end for Alex and it looks like I’m going to get my wish. It would be awesome if he is the one getting married, but even so one season maybe isn’t realistic seeing as he has a lot of growing up to do.

11. Tonya says:

Lexie & Mark in heaven

…this show has done far more stupid $hit than that before…it really wouldn’t surprise me!

• LovesMcSteamy_Lexipedia says:

I stopped watching, but I would tune in for a Lexi/Mark heaven wedding. . .:)

• Naazneen says:

Im right there for a Sexie Heaven Wedding. If not that, sorry. I dont really care who else is getting married. I am officially over Greys after Lexie’s death :(

• Carly says:

So much this. So much!

• Laura says:

I do not understand why a lot of people are turning against the show for killing off the Lexi character. It was the ACTRESS’ choice to go, she wanted to spend more time with her family! The show gives her what she wants and now all these people are hating and dissing the show for giving an actress what she wanted and needed! They couldn’t force her to stay once her contract was up anyway. Come on people, lets respect someone’s wishes and be more understanding and compassionate about the situation! We all loved Lexi and Chyler but her family needs her more than we do.

12. Sofia Robbin Sloan-Torres says:

The whole Seattle Grace staff r all in the Same family already I mean like

George,Callie,Arizona,Sofia,Mark,Lexie,Merideth/Zola,Derek,Amelia,Addison

Cristina-Godmother to the babies and uncle Owen

Chief Webber,Katherine Avery,Jackon,April

now Bailey,Tuck,Ben

Poor Uncle Alex gets left out unless he finds a girl

You could include like basically like Izzie/Karev Izzie/George under family for Callie since she did marry him

• twilight123 says:

I’m soooo impressed. And I totally mean that sincerely (it’s sometimes hard to tell on the internet). WOW!

13. Sofia Robbin Sloan-Torres says:

Callie and Arizona have a real legal wedding since gays can now officially marry in Seattle

• John says:

Unfortunately, not until after November. The anti-gay folks got enough signatures to force a vote on the legalization of same-sex marriages in WA.

14. Emma says:

I think they might have Christina and Owen divorce and then get back together. It’s not too much of a stretch. I would hate it if Richard married Jackson’s mom even if Adele passed in this season’s premiere, it would just be too soon. Also, April and Jackson would need more time, that would be rushed. Bailey and Ben would be the safe bet if they work through everything.

15. Liz says:

I’m digging the idea of a heaven wedding for Lexi and Mark! Denny could officiate, George could walk Lexi down the aisle, and all of those interns from Mercy West whose names I can’t remember (Percy? And the woman with really short hair?) could round out the wedding party. Meredith’s mom could be the organist, and Mer/Der’s dead dog could carry the rings on a pillow strapped to his collar. They’ve done weirder things…

16. Mikaylah says:

I think it would be much too soon for Richard, even if it was at the end of the season. I guess I could see Bailey and Ben, but I actually don’t think they’re going to work out. Although nowadays, a wedding doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll be married long. I kinda wish it will be April and Jackson, just because I love them so much and hope they work through their issues this season. I need happy, because I will be in a deep dark place with Lexie dead and Mark gone.

17. Katha says:

I think there could be a Der/Mer wedding. A REAL wedding with a beautiful dress, baby Zola bringing the rings, party and the hole SGMW (or should I say Seattle Grey Mery Death?! ) docs as guests!

18. J V Smith says:

My dream couple would be Bailey and the Chief!

19. Linderella says:

Sorry, but I want Izzy back with Alex. The rest of the wedding ideas are just boring.

• Greys says:

Totally agree. Katherine Heigl said she wanted to come back; what’s the holdup? I can’t imagine seeing Alex with anyone but Izzie. Hmm, maybe Ava “Rebecca”?

20. Sofia Robbin Sloan-Torres says:

What about like Mark and Lexie’s ashes or Mark and Lexie’s ashes together what if Callie does the right there and gets them married n buried together?

I live the Bailey and Chief Idea for me it’s always been seeing them together they would e a good pick for each other

21. Danielle H says:

I’m sorry, but did anyone else just think “Who Cares???” Everything on this show is been there done that have the t-shirt.
    Although, Alex getting some story lines is a good thing!

22. ggny says:

maybe instead of slapping Alex around with his love interest they will give him one that sticks?

23. Ana says:

This doesn’t feel like much of a spoiler considering that Ben and Bailey were talking marriage last season. I’m more excited about Alex finding true love and finally getting over Izzie.

24. Erin says:

It’s probably some lame bait-and-switch, like a patient-of-the-week getting married in the hospital as their dying wish.

25. sheikia says:

I’m thinking a shotgun wedding for April/Jackson after she finds out she’s pregnant… That would be interesting.

• Yolo says:

I suspect this is the case. It would make sense. The fake out is that Bailey and Ben are engaged, and so it would be typical of Grey’s to have them be the couple that doesn’t marry. The show always does fake outs like that. And I’m pretty sure condoms were the last thing on Jackson or April’s mind in the bathroom. So this scenario is the one I think is coming.

26. Frankie says:

Wedding Spoiler=Not really a spoiler
    Muppets reference= AWESOME!!!!!

27. Brigitte says:

It’s got to be a Mark/Addison wedding! That gives both actors a way to walk away from the shows. Mark will realize his one true love is dead and gone so he will go down and get Addison. She’s always been his fall to girl. And that will help her out of the Sam/what’s his name problem.

• Tina says:

I know I’m in the minority, but I always thought Mark’s one true love WAS Addison. They had MUCH better chemistry than he and Lexie ever did! I’m sad she’s dead and everything, but I never liked them together. I do think Shonda is making a huge mistake getting rid of Eric Dane, however!

28. Svenja says:

Wohhooo another “wedding mystery”. These things get old. One season ago I used to be very excited. Now I am really dreading the next season. I hope Shonda will pleasantly surprise me. If you expectations are low it can only get better for you…

• Tiffany says:

SVENJA
      It’s like were TWINS I am dreding 9Th season of Gtry(swithout Lexie & Mark even though Bailey still there that great. I’M hoping for A Twist from Shonda later on in the season. And LEXIE and MARK ARE REALLY ALIVE. AND WE GET SEE THEIR WEDDING. I WOULD LOVE IT AND THAT’S WHATS MEANT TO BE. PLEASE SHONDA!

29. forwarddad says:

Who said Mark was dead?

30. Sarah says:

Please be Jackson and April – PLEASE be Jackson and April! No offense to Ben and Bailey but cmon… Japril are awesome!

31. FairyTaleLover says:

It should be Lexie and Mark but oh wait…..This show is so going down hill.

32. Kate O'Leary says:

I use to love anticipating Greys this year nothing but dread. Bring Sloan back!!

33. Hojana says:

Don’t even care about this spoiler honestly…

34. Tina says:

Hate April/Jackson (she needed to be booted off instead of Teddy or Lexie. Or ESPECIALLY Mark. Boo!). Hate Bailey/Ben (I SOOOOO loved her with the hot naughty nurse–bring him back!). The Chief/Catherine were fun…and had GREAT chemistry. I hope it’s them. But I disagree with most of what Shonda does (yet I can’t stop watching), so it’ll probably be one of the first two couples. Again, I say BOO!!

35. Sandra says:

What if its a spontaneous, drunken accidental wedding? Like between acquaintances who would never in their right minds marry? With so many changeups coming this season, and the new faces, its not out of the realm of possibility.

36. Ally Oop says:

Interesting that Debbie Allen will be back. For how long though?

37. Ally Oop says:

Interesting to hear about Debbie Allen returning. I think her presence on the show will be great. I wonder how long she’ll be on the show…

38. lothiriel says:

mark and Lexie ! OOOh why not ?? ^^” anyway I will no longer watch now that lexie is dead so I can always hope !

39. Liz says:

Well, it could be Cristina & Owen. If they did get a divorce, maybe they will remarry?

40. Meres says:

Id like to see it be Alex but it really be a flash forward and we have to wait until th end or midway through the season to see who the bride is like How I Met Your Mother or Revenge-esque! Wouldn’t that be fun! Especially if it was izzie!!!!! I could also
    Go for a heaven wedding with mark and Lexie. Give me so closure! Lol

41. cas says:

I feel like after Izzie every girl Alex has dated, I disliked a lot. So I hope they introduce a character that I can actually like and see him with. Of course she will probably die in next season.

42. Sofia Robbin Sloan-Torres says:

Callie/Arizona

End of 8×23

“Don’t ever leave,Promise me that right now.”

“I’m not going anywhere I promise.”

Plane crashes

Callie flies to Boise looking for her wife

Boise Memorial-sorry Mam u can’t see her

Callie-damn it she’s my wife like hell ur not gonna let me see her!

Boise Memorial-Do you have proof?!

Callie-“No, but..I..we have rings and if you don’t let me see her I will sue u my mother is a damn good lawyer!”

Callie and Arizona will get some kind of paperwork in Order to be legally married so Boise Memorial can’t make any decisions with Callie seeing Arizona’s leg/injuries first.

43. Jayson says:

I think it’ll be Bailey and Ben.

44. Albtrex says:

Who cares.

I’m sorry, I loved last season… Until Shonda throw everything in the trash with last two episodes, the plane crash and Lexie getting killed… And I know, Chyler asked to leave, but COME ON, they could have written her out in a better way!!!
    They could have make Mark finally choose her instead of his “family”, because “THEY WERE MEANT TO BE”! (he is just a “sperm donor” to Sofia, she is not actually “his daughter”!!). We wanted that wedding, we wanted that couple. We wanted them riding in the sunset together… :(

Who cares about April (most annoying character EVER!) & Jackson (most useless character EVER), or Bailey & Ben (i like them, but I’m not actually waiting for their wedding!).

45. QUEEEEEN says:

BRING ADDISON SHEPHARD BACK, THIS SHOW IS GOING DOWN HILL TO FAST, I LOOK FORWARD TO WATCHING SCANDAL MORE THAN GREYS NOW…..SORRY SHONDA YOU LOST ME, THE STORYLINES ARE TIRED AND ALMOST PREDICTABLE…..SINCE WE ARE TALKING FAR FETCHED, SHOOTS BRING GEORGE AND IZZIE BACK, RE-CAST ISAIAH WASHINGTON AND LETS GET SOME REAL CLOSURE WITH HIM AND YANG. I MEAN WHY NOT BRING ELLIS GREY BACK

46. oyk says:

I think Lexi/Mark too. Who knows, anything could happen on this show. Can’t wait

47. miriam says:

its ben and bailey 4 sure!

48. sania says:

i want izzie and alex to be togather again

49. Tzippy says:

How come nobody mentioned Mark with his CURRENT girlfriend, not Lexie/Adison????

50. Tinu says:

Ok.. So I think that Shonda has made this show sad for me… And Lexi’s death? I think that was a wrong decision… That character should have lived! Season 9 had better have proper closures! As for the wedding, I DO HOPE that it ISN’T Avery and April! He’s character is too interesting for Avery’s character!