Downton Abbey First Look: Bates in Prison! Lady Edith With a Man! Miss O'Brien in a Foul Mood!

Mr. Bates is not taking to prison life, the Dowager Countess is having none of Shirley MacLaine, Lady Edith is looking to shed her spinster rep and Miss O’Brien is (shocker!) not impressed with something.

Those are the key takeaways from the fresh assortment of photos just released from Downton Abbey‘s forthcoming third season (bowing in early 2013).

RELATED | Downton Abbey Scoop: 8 Spoilers on Season 3

Scroll through the gallery below and then hit the comments with your own thoughts/interpretations.

1. Alicia says:

Omg omg omg. I lovs this show. <3

2. Ruth says:

I love Downton!!! Poor Bates he look like a man for LES MIS! But I love the way downton is! everything happen so fast!!

3. Ros says:

Why are they releasing photos of the new season, when it doesn’t start until January 2013, which is still months away? There’s also a video promo out for the new season. Releasing them this early seems like an unnecessarily cruel tease, to me.

4. Lorena says:

I need the third season, i want Marie and Mathew together now, they have suffered enough and Mr Pamuk is dead, so please 2013 try to come any faster, please

5. znachki says:

The man that Edith is with, is Sir Anthony Strallan, played by Robert Bathurst. He was the man that was interested in Edith until Mary put the kibosh on it. In the Christmas special he turns her away because of his injury.

6. asd25 says:

I am not a big fan of Edith but I still think she deserves better than to spend her life with that old bore. Can’t wait to see Matthew and Mary and the two grandmothers.

• Katie says:

I agree. I think it would be much more fun if poor, downtrodden Edith had a romance with someone who was a bit younger and more exciting than old Strallan.

• Tess says:

I don’t know…she seems to have been quite taken by him, and not just in a sense like he’s the best she can get sort of way, but in a genuine way. In spite of his advanced age compared to her, they seemed to have a lot in common. I hope they do actually wind up together – in fact, I have an odd feeling that the wedding we’ve been promised to have happen this season might be theirs and not Lady Mary and Matthew…though I hope they finally go down the aisle as well.
      I cannot wait for the next season to start…I might wind up hunting it down online rather than wait till January because it’s going to be hard to just sit by and wait!

• Scott says:

My wife has seen pictures of the Edith/Anthony wedding (she works for Public Television). So that definitely happens — unless it’s a dream sequence or something. And I think she said Mary and Matthew get married as well. I’m looking forward to the season. Great escapism.

7. MaryEl says:

Downton sweeps me up & places me right THERE! I am no longer in my living room! It is no longer the 21st century. (and my clothes are much better) I don’t just watch this show! I experience it.

8. tahina says:

Oh god I need to wait for so many months before I can watch it on Neftflix. Its killig me. :(

9. I know it’s only fair that we don’t get this till January since Europe has to wait for our shows…… but I WANT it NOW, daddy <—–my Veruca Salt voice or if we're going British my Lydia Bennett voice.

10. Christina says:

Excited for the new season. Hope I don’t have to wait for the PBS airing in January.

• Templar says:

I’ll be in the UK when the first ep airs there, but will have to wait for the rest until winter. That’s almost worse, unless I elect to not watch it when I’m over there. Grrr.

11. alim says:

am just sooo happy that i can watch it on my telly whislt you guys have to wait until jan. makes a change normally we’re the one who have to wait for us tv shows. cant wait

12. LC says:

YES! Starts next month here and I can’t wait!

13. Matt says:

I hope it’s better that that godawful season two.

14. Tabitha says:

I am so excited but i feel kinda guilty, as i live in England i only have to wait until next month! Can’t wait for M&M’s wedding! Well i’m assuming that they are going to marry each other, as they are both wearing a wedding ring in the pictures that have been released showing Edith’s wedding and Branson does tell Matthew he won’t be happy while Lady Mary walks the earth, aww that says it all!!

15. Downton, unsurprisingly, is my life. Follow me and my family on Twitter. @LadyVGrantham

16. Ruth says:

I Romantic but I really don`t buy the Lady Cybill – Driver (I don`t Remember his name sorry) couple they never look really in love to me or maybe I lost one episode

17. LJones-Wright says:

I have stifled the urge for some time now to see what happens in Series 3. I am in Australia and in 2012 we got Series 2 – now, having had a “peek” I have an idea of what is coming up in 2013. However, all along I have thought that Mary’s ex-fiance, the newspaper magnate, might have had Mrs. Bates #I bumped off to silence her once and for all – I couldn’t find any reference to this anywhere – does anyone share my thought?