Downton Abbey First Look: Bates in Prison! Lady Edith With a Man! Miss O'Brien in a Foul Mood!

Mr. Bates is not taking to prison life, the Dowager Countess is having none of Shirley MacLaine, Lady Edith is looking to shed her spinster rep and Miss O’Brien is (shocker!) not impressed with something.

Those are the key takeaways from the fresh assortment of photos just released from Downton Abbey‘s forthcoming third season (bowing in early 2013).

RELATED | Downton Abbey Scoop: 8 Spoilers on Season 3

Scroll through the gallery below and then hit the comments with your own thoughts/interpretations.

Comments (32)

• Omg omg omg. I lovs this show. <3

Comment by Alicia – August 29, 2012 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto! Can’t wait.

Comment by StaciH – August 29, 2012 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Downton!!! Poor Bates he look like a man for LES MIS! But I love the way downton is! everything happen so fast!!

Comment by Ruth – August 29, 2012 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Can poor Bates and Anna not have some happiness at long last? The man isnt so young anymore and if they are going to get going on those babies they discussed in earlier seasons, he needs to be out of jail and home with his wife! :)

Comment by Naazneen – August 30, 2012 12:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree,it is time to have some happy story lines fir Bates and his wife.

Comment by Julian evans – October 6, 2012 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What was the object that Bates found in his bed last night?

Comment by Sally – January 14, 2013 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why are they releasing photos of the new season, when it doesn’t start until January 2013, which is still months away? There’s also a video promo out for the new season. Releasing them this early seems like an unnecessarily cruel tease, to me.

Comment by Ros – August 29, 2012 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because it starts in the UK end of September, IIRC. US reporters are picking up what ITV has already released.

Comment by Elizabeth – August 29, 2012 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thank you so much for that! Now it makes sense to me.

Comment by Ros – August 29, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • My pleasure! :) (Amazing how I can remember that and not my grocery list. Priorities, I suppose…;))

Comment by Elizabeth – August 29, 2012 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • where can we see the video promo?

Comment by betty – September 1, 2012 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I need the third season, i want Marie and Mathew together now, they have suffered enough and Mr Pamuk is dead, so please 2013 try to come any faster, please

Comment by Lorena – August 29, 2012 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Who is Marie? Do you mean Lady Mary Crawley?

Comment by Suzie – August 29, 2012 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The man that Edith is with, is Sir Anthony Strallan, played by Robert Bathurst. He was the man that was interested in Edith until Mary put the kibosh on it. In the Christmas special he turns her away because of his injury.

Comment by znachki – August 29, 2012 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am not a big fan of Edith but I still think she deserves better than to spend her life with that old bore. Can’t wait to see Matthew and Mary and the two grandmothers.

Comment by asd25 – August 29, 2012 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I think it would be much more fun if poor, downtrodden Edith had a romance with someone who was a bit younger and more exciting than old Strallan.

Comment by Katie – August 29, 2012 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t know…she seems to have been quite taken by him, and not just in a sense like he’s the best she can get sort of way, but in a genuine way. In spite of his advanced age compared to her, they seemed to have a lot in common. I hope they do actually wind up together – in fact, I have an odd feeling that the wedding we’ve been promised to have happen this season might be theirs and not Lady Mary and Matthew…though I hope they finally go down the aisle as well.
      I cannot wait for the next season to start…I might wind up hunting it down online rather than wait till January because it’s going to be hard to just sit by and wait!

Comment by Tess – August 29, 2012 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • My wife has seen pictures of the Edith/Anthony wedding (she works for Public Television). So that definitely happens — unless it’s a dream sequence or something. And I think she said Mary and Matthew get married as well. I’m looking forward to the season. Great escapism.

Comment by Scott – August 31, 2012 06:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Downton sweeps me up & places me right THERE! I am no longer in my living room! It is no longer the 21st century. (and my clothes are much better) I don’t just watch this show! I experience it.

Comment by MaryEl – August 29, 2012 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh god I need to wait for so many months before I can watch it on Neftflix. Its killig me. :(

Comment by tahina – August 29, 2012 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know it’s only fair that we don’t get this till January since Europe has to wait for our shows…… but I WANT it NOW, daddy <—–my Veruca Salt voice or if we're going British my Lydia Bennett voice.

Comment by Lauren Kirsch – August 29, 2012 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought Veruca Salt was British…?

Comment by LC – August 29, 2012 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She was but that version of Willy Wonka was VERY American. I meant British film/TV references.

Comment by Lauren Kirsch – August 29, 2012 11:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excited for the new season. Hope I don’t have to wait for the PBS airing in January.

Comment by Christina – August 29, 2012 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ll be in the UK when the first ep airs there, but will have to wait for the rest until winter. That’s almost worse, unless I elect to not watch it when I’m over there. Grrr.

Comment by Templar – August 30, 2012 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • am just sooo happy that i can watch it on my telly whislt you guys have to wait until jan. makes a change normally we’re the one who have to wait for us tv shows. cant wait

Comment by alim – August 29, 2012 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! Starts next month here and I can’t wait!

Comment by LC – August 29, 2012 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope it’s better that that godawful season two.

Comment by Matt – August 30, 2012 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so excited but i feel kinda guilty, as i live in England i only have to wait until next month! Can’t wait for M&M’s wedding! Well i’m assuming that they are going to marry each other, as they are both wearing a wedding ring in the pictures that have been released showing Edith’s wedding and Branson does tell Matthew he won’t be happy while Lady Mary walks the earth, aww that says it all!!

Comment by Tabitha – August 30, 2012 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Downton, unsurprisingly, is my life. Follow me and my family on Twitter. @LadyVGrantham

Comment by Lady Violet Grantham, Dowager Countess – August 31, 2012 05:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I Romantic but I really don`t buy the Lady Cybill – Driver (I don`t Remember his name sorry) couple they never look really in love to me or maybe I lost one episode

Comment by Ruth – August 31, 2012 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have stifled the urge for some time now to see what happens in Series 3. I am in Australia and in 2012 we got Series 2 – now, having had a “peek” I have an idea of what is coming up in 2013. However, all along I have thought that Mary’s ex-fiance, the newspaper magnate, might have had Mrs. Bates #I bumped off to silence her once and for all – I couldn’t find any reference to this anywhere – does anyone share my thought?

Comment by LJones-Wright – December 1, 2012 10:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post