Steve Burton Quits General Hospital: 'I Know the Timing's Not the Best, But.... It's Time to Go'

Steve Burton Leaving General HospitalGeneral Hospital vet Steve Burton has announced his decision to vacate the role of clean-cut rich kid-turned-mob tough Jason Quartermaine Morgan, which he first inhabited back in 1991.

“[GH has] been nothing but a huge positive in my life and for my family. I have no complaints, no negative feelings at all. But it’s time to go,” the Daytime Emmy-winning actor tells TV Guide Magazine. “I’m going to take some time off and do nothing but relax, just enjoy life a little bit with my wife and kids.”

RELATED | B&B Boss Reveals His Ridge Recast Plan

Geographically, Burton and his fam are relocating to a home they just bought in Tennessee, outside of Nashville. Professionally, he won’t shut the door to putting in a GH encore at some point, but right now he is anxious to explore other opportunities as an actor and as a director. (Already, he, jack-of-all-trades/onetime GH guest James Franco and former GH boss Jill Farren Phelps are developing a novella project that Burton and Franco would star in.)

RELATED | Christel Khalil Cut from Y&R? Plus Susan Flannery’s B&B Exit Timetable

Burton admits the timing of his GH exit is “not the best in terms of [Jason's] story.” As such, he says he is willing to stay beyond his expected final tape date of Sept. 25, so a proper departure can be crafted. That would have Jason airing into late October, maybe November, he says.

RELATED | Days of Our Lives Exclusive: Deidre Hall Celebrates Her 4,000th Episode!

GH fans, how would you write Jason off of the canvas? Giving Dancing star Kelly Monaco’s need/want for a lightened schedule, might they send JaSam off into the sunset? Or could A.J. return from the dead to get his half-bro into another car wreck that restores his memory and reindeer sweaters?

1. Instead of moving to Tennesse, he should relocate to Oklahoma. This is a red state where everybody hates gays and women. He would feel right at home.

2. ghfan says:

i honestly dont know how to watch the show without jason. What about sam? it doesnt make any sense to me right now. At least replace steve eventhough i dont think anyone can be as amazing as he was. But there just cant be any more of jason. You know who should go? ELIZABETH. i cant standddddd her ugh. im agitated ever since i found out steve is leaving. this blows.

3. shapri says:

Dont forget ….sorry some of us liked him with Elizabeth. I was so mad at Sam when she watched Jake get kidnapped because he was Jason and Elizabeth’s son, that was too much. And then he falls in love ans marries the sme womn who made that all happen. I know its a soap opera…but I have not really watched since then…..First they took off Alan Quartermine, then Emily, now Robin……I use to love GH…but its getting crazy now. Sam is a little crazy too. But I agree with the above comment, poor Jason has been with Sam, Carly, Elizabeth who knows who else. I will miss him,but there are ohter choices in life. I dont think he and Sam should ride off into the sunset…he loved Liz alot too…..he cold come back from the dead, everyone else does….he could go to prison for something…Sam likes McBain and he like her, they could raise the baby,,,,there are all sorts of options,

4. Gracie says:

I will truly miss Jason but family does come first and life is too short so good luck and many blessing for you and your beautiful family

• danny says:

very disappointed with Jason (Steve Burton) I was really upset to see him go but I thought it was to be with his family….Turns out that’s not the case he is going to The Y & R SERIOUSLY???? There was no need to lie about the reason for leaving!!!!

5. tee baby says:

I GREW UP WATCHING GENERAL HOSPITAL AND I AM VERY SAD TO HERE OF JASON’S DEPARTURE I LOVE HIS ROLE ON GH NO ONE COULD EVER REPLACE HIM I HOPE HE IS NOT KILLED OFF THAT’S GOING TO MAKE ME CRY I ALSO LOVE SONNY TO WHAT HAPPENS FROM HERE JASON HAS SPECIAL RELATIONSHIPS WITH VARIOUS PEOPLE ON GH I JUST DONT SEE ANYTHING GOOD. COMING FROM THIS WITHOUT JASON & SONNY..I WOULD NOT WATCH GH…

6. manal says:

i love jason and im a liason fan and my daughter and i get together on weekends and watch gh because we love jason i dont know what we are going to do.

7. Valerie says:

Happy for Steve and his family but sad for all the Jason fans…..love him on GH!!

8. tavia221 says:

WHAT AM I GOING TO DO WITHOUT JASON AND ELIZABETH!!!!!!!!!!!! WHYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    you will be missed JSB…. what will become of GH now?

9. Lana Zemler says:

I hope they have Jason & Sam going off into the sunset with their baby. I get sick watching soaps showing couples so easily falling out of love & marriage, they make a mockery of marriage on soaps. No wonder teens think it’s ok to sleep with everyone & anyone ! And please get rid of sonny! Making it look “cool” to be a mobster & getting away with murder is another low. I wish more characters from One Life to Live came on here, Spinelli is the only interesting character anymore on this show. It’s probably time to retire it along with all the others old soaps :( Jason & Elizabeth were the only good reason to watch.

10. Dana Vance says:

I think he will find Sam’s baby and they will figure out it’s his and he and Sam will leave to give the baby a safe life. Is that too sappy???

11. I Love you Steve Burton , good for you making a commitment to your family ….GH will never be the same w/o Jason .. I cannot believe they did NOTHING for you & Sam to be HAPPY together as a family …….Liz .too clingy
    & Lucky , why did he comeback & not stay .. Jonathon Jackson I watched you grow up on GH , been watching since late 1979 …I wish you could come back & find happiness & stay away from Liz ….( sorry Liz ) but the writers make you LOOK pathetic most of the time …..Is Jerry Jax dead ? one could only hope …
    But it is sad that the writers never gave Jason & Sam any real happiness

12. Chyna says:

I agree with everyone.. I, without a single doubt… can NOT stand the Liz/Jason/Sam John story line. It is ridiculous at BEST. I am so disappointed in the whole thing.. As long as Sam has been trying to have a baby… Jake is gone.. what the hell are the writer’s thinking? I don’t want to see Jason go.. but happy for him personally. I doubt that anyone can replace Steven Burton.. he indisposable in that role.

13. charlene odom says:

I just can’t believe the hunk of the show would leave us hanging. This is the worst ever next to jason and sam splitting. Bring them together thru their baby and let him search for baby then come home to sam with baby and let them be happy.

14. Look the man can’t do this forever…seriously fans I love him too… Let the guy have a life. There are so many great options when sending him off.

Jason finding Robin.
    He disappears in an explosion ect ect ect….

The Sam story is dead… baby or not ..let it be…you want the show to reflect real life…well in real life there is not always a happy ending. Just bring in another attractive male and don’t screw up like you did with the Maxi stand in…that was horrifying…

Good luck Steve and stay sexy!

15. mel says:

i think they should recast his character, or have it where jason finds out that jake is still alive and he leaves to find him, but they shud get jason nd elizabeth bk 2gea.liason deserve a happy ending

16. Tonia says:

My stomach was in my throat when I read that Steve is leaving. Although its great that he is taking time to be with his family, I’m DEVISTATED to see him go!! They should definitely replace him!! I love Jason; he is SO important to the show!! What’s GH without him?! I’m a huge JaSam fan, I love how loyal he is to Sonny and Carly…he’s just all around fantastic!! I agree with all that said replace him until he’s ready to come back…just like when Maxi was gone; that was only supposed to be for 2-3 months and it ended up being longer. They do stuff like this all the time–although, whoever steps in has big shoes to fill!

17. Please dont go Jason….I don’t think I will ever watch GH again if there’s no more Jason!!!! Jason makes the show…I love him and Sam together and hope he’s able to find Robin and know that HE IS The Father!!! Please stay Jason!!!! #1 Fan

18. Irene says:

I wish Steve wouldn’t leave the show because I’ve sworn that if he leaves, I stop watching the show. He’s the only reason why I watch it now!!!! Please don’t leave Steve Burton!!!

19. Kristin says:

With Steve Burton gone as Jason, I will deffiently boycott the show :( He’s one of the reason to watch!!

20. Colleen says:

I’m so saddened to hear Jason is leaving gh, he was such a major role in it and it won’t be the same, but as a mom I understand him wanting to take a break and be with family… That’s his priority and I can respect that but ugh I’m so upset about the departure… I wish there were room for both but I hope he has the best of luck in his future!!!

21. Canadianmomma says:

I like Steve Burton, but the writers haven’t really given the guy a whole lot to work with. I was really excited when he was in the hospital having flashbacks. I thought maybe he would go back to being old Jason, and that he would want to be a doctor and try and undo the damage he had done with all the mob business. That would be a change, and breathe new life and focus onto the hospital instead of the mob. How many different mob stories and love triangles can you have before it gets old? Not too many. I stopped watching GH years ago, but then I heard about Jason’s flashbacks and got all excited for the possibilities, only to be left dissappointed.

22. C.G. says:

A.J. is dead. He can’t come back from the dead, and the storyline would become extremely repetetive if A.J. did. Considering all these new / old characters are being (re)introduced. Jason should leave port charles due to some sort of quest to figue something out. What about Ethan? Or Lucky, since he just dissapeared and he and Jason are “close”. Sam should find out about her baby before Jason leaves so they couyld be one happy family before he takes off. If that doesn’t work, he should leave and then have sam find out. She can’t get in touch with him and assumes he’s dead or whatever. John McBain should be her boyfriend (possibly husband).

23. Missy says:

I agree replace “Steve” and leave the option open for him to come back. Maxi was replaced and so can Jason. Pretty Please with cherries!!!

24. MissD says:

Jason Morgan is my favorite character he’s been on the show as long as I’ve been alive 21 years I’m so sad but I’m worried they said Steve Burton is leaving not the character Jason Morgan so I will be mad if they get some unknown person to play Jason he’s been playing Jason too long to get somebody else just let his character go away for awhile although what will happen with Sam, this all sucks!

25. Samantha says:

if Jason leaves then Sam needs to go with him they deserve a happily ever after and what about his baby? i think they should recast his role just until Steve Burton decides to come back because we cannot have JaSam end i will be pissed

26. Nikki babie says:

I am sooo distraught that Steve is leaving. It’s not the first time he’s been gone for an extended period of time but they didn’t have some look a like to replace him. No one can replace Steve. Can you tell I’m a huge Jason fan? I can’t believe he quit. I do, however, wish him nothing but great blessings with his future endeavors and to also enjoy his time with his family.

Signed,
    A Broken Hearted fan

27. Double "R" says:

Without Steve Burton it won’t be the same. Probably won’t continue to watch the show. It completely depends on you all replacing him (to keep Jason’s character) or not. Alsowho his replacement will be and how good they transition into Steve’s large shoes.

28. kim says:

so im guessing by now Duke is having Jason shot… so maybe they dont find his body, or AJ returns to play Jason but thats gonna suck… really just let him be took where Robin is and they become better and come home to Sam n Patrick… Jason deserves so much better…l

29. Brandi Ponchot says:

I am soooo sad at the thought of them killing off Jason. I was devastated when they killed off Courtney and when they brought Jason and Sam together I fell in love with them as a couple. Please please recast I will not watch the show without Jason on it!

30. theresa says:

I really don’t want to see jason leave whata gh without him I don’t think u can find anyone to replace him he is just the right one for the role… I guess he can take e brake but com on don have him die off the show sam just got her baby back they can be a family again and he has to kno he is really the baby father…. I just don’t want to see him leave

31. becky says:

Ive watched GH for 21 years with Jason leaving I will have to say good by to GH as well.
    Hope his new future is bright wish him only the best.

32. Tina says:

Jason has heen on the show for 20 plus years and it Sucks that he is leaving! You have to replace him so it he ever wants to come back he can. Please don’t push Mcbain on Sam just because they were on a different show together. As mush as we will HATE it replace Jasom. The show will not be the same with out a Jason. Is this another cacallstoon of a soap we see coming? Look how many times carley has been replaced. We learn to live with it! If the show puts Mcbain and Sam together I am done watching after 27 years :(. Good luck Steve sad to see you go the show just took a big hit! What about Jacob young? Yes he played lLucky for awhile but the originial carley played Claudia?

33. Tina says:

Jason has heen on the show for 20 plus years and it Sucks that he is leaving! You have to replace him so it he ever wants to come back he can. Please don’t push Mcbain on Sam just because they were on a different show together. As mush as we will HATE it replace Jason. The show will not be the same with out a Jason. Is this another cancellation of a soap we see coming? Look how many times Carley Ihas been replaced. We learn to live with it! If the show puts Mcbain and Sam together I am done watching after 27 years :(. Good luck Steve sad to see you go the show just took a big hit! What about Jacob Young, he is a great actor? Yes he played lLucky for awhile but the originial Carley played Claudia? Just bring us a Jason don’t do this to the show or the fad!

34. Tina says:

Jason has heen on the show for 20 plus years and it Sucks that he is leaving! You have to replace him so it he ever wants to come back he can. Please don’t push Mcbain on Sam just because they were on a different show together. As mush as we will HATE it replace Jason. The show will not be the same with out a Jason. Is this another cancellation of a soap we see coming? Look how many times Carley has been replaced. We learn to live with it! If the show puts Mcbain and Sam together I am done watching after 27 years :(. Good luck Steve sad to see you go the show just took a big hit! What about Jacob Young, he is a great actor? Yes he played lLucky for awhile but the originial Carley played Claudia? Just bring us a Jason don’t do this to the show or the fad!

• Raki says:

What bothers me is characters from another soaps being brought in(McBain, Todd, Joe Scully aka Martin Lopez Fitzgerald from “Passions” if I recall corectly). GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! I’m super mad and will definitely stop watching GH after this!

35. Tina says:

Jason has heen on the show for 20 plus years and it Sucks that he is leaving! You have to replace him so it he ever wants to come back he can. Please don’t push Mcbain on Sam just because they were on a different show together. As mush as we will HATE it replace Jason. The show will not be the same with out a Jason. Is this another cancellation of a soap we see coming? Look how many times Carley has been replaced. We learn to live with it! If the show puts Mcbain and Sam together I am done watching after 27 years :(. Good luck Steve sad to see you go the show just took a big hit! What about Jacob Young, he is a great actor? Yes he played Lucky for awhile but the originial Carley played Claudia? Just bring us a Jason don’t do this to the show or the fans!!

36. Stacie says:

I hate GH now….I can’t believe they got rid of Jason! Why not replace him? This sucks

37. Olivia fisk says:

Yes nobody could replace steve (jason) but I dont see there not being a jason so u should hav someone that looks like him mabey his brother-in-law. And.. ONE LIFE TO LIVE CHACTERS WERE THE BEST THING THAT COULD HAPPEN SENCE IT WENT OFF. I really miss that show ;(

38. Tina says:

Bring back OLTL

39. Amanda says:

noooo jason can’t leave :( :(

40. Amanda says:

And YES BRING BACK OLTL!!!!!!

41. so happy steve burton CHOSE his family over some TV fans,geez get a life.and realize your worship 4 a major multi millio$ rich star,do not matter,to him,or he would have umm stay put ya think? Good luck steve,and your Beautiful wife,adorable wife kids come FIRST not desperate no life people saying oh “why can’t he stay;” duh,he put FAM and LOVE for real life fam first,astute man,and i am happy for him,thrilled GH JASAM 2.0 are finish kaput.bore the hell outta me,and most people know they are boring,and were ONLY FORCE back together for the whining fans no other reason.
    There is no way ron carlivati was going to reunite the dull couple,because he love mcbain and sam mc call character
    too much,and i believe as MANY “he only reunite jasam because steve burton is leaving”so why not throw the Whiny fans a lil bone,again lord know your falling for it,your not even able to see,why writer really did this,he sure would have gone with LIZ and jason IF jason was staying,and sam and jason would’ve remain apart,then divorce.But he did not do this for the FANS ONLY no other reason…Now writer smart man,can move on to the REAL story and this will be john,sam and daniel while jason is dead……
    THANK GOD no more jasam so force/boring,and the writer KNEW it…No way jason would have stay with her,because we Been they were going totward divorce, and sam was heavily thinking only about john day in day out kissing hugs,carressing,they were DEFINITELy going for a mcbain/sam relation.

they did this to tidy-neat rap up the storyline,to END It for good,finally… ( smart move).to thrown fans of jasam a bone and they ATE IT UP,so now he do not have any “mad”at him
    but we know ron carlivati is laughing behind the scenes,who wouldn’t be? LIZ and jason were going to be together,but he could’nt do that to the many JASAM fans that are still left so he did it,”this way”so they will shut up about”not reuniting”jason and sam lmfao

now we can bury it where it belong,and end the stupid song from playing for jasam.i hated that song…. HATE JASAM HATE THE SONG,happy they are done,rip jason but reality you reap what u sew when living a bad life,and the writer exhibit that today…time to finally move SAM far from mob life,with john and daniel.

from morgan farantino.

42. Robert says:

Hopefully they replace Jason for someone else other than Steve Burton even though there couldn’t be a better person for the role. Just keep the position there and hopefully when he has relaxed and explored other things in life he might consider coming back. I just hope they aren’t dumb enough to kill him off completely because hes character is such a big role in the story line of the show.

43. I’m so upset about this. I mean, ”Jason” was one of the main reasons of me watching GH. I’ve been watching it for 8 years. Plus I watched the old ones too online. And Jason was my fave character. I mean seriously. I understand why he wants to leave. But I, and many other people, don’t want him to. Personally, I wish it was Maurice instead. I mean, I know they would lose their ratings ALOT if he left. But at least they could still replace him? I’m sure it wouldn’t be the same with a new Sonny, but it would be better than losing Jason. My opinion anyway. I know they’re gonna lose alot of their rating without Jason too. But yeah. I’m really upset because of JaSam. I mean, they JUST got back together after all that struggling etc. And FINALLY when he finds her baby, and brings him back to Sam, he decides to leave. It’s a BAD timing. Cuz like, He needs to find out the baby is HIS. Not Franco’s. And seriously. If they’re gonna let him come back again in the future(which I hope they do) then they can’t let him die. I mean, when I saw him get shot, I’m like ”Oh yeah. He’s not gonna die. He gets shot all the time.” But then it looked like he was dead. So I started freaking out. And I just HAD to find out. So I looked it up and found out that he was going to quit. And when I saw that, I just started crying. Sure, they could replace him, but he would NEVER be the same as Steve Burton. He fits the role of Jason. And no one else could replace him as Jason. I just pray that he DOESN’T die. At least let him leave for a while. And not die. It would be dumb if he died, then came back later. He can’t just come back from the dead. o_o. So I’m hoping he DOESN’T die so he can come back in the future. But we’ll find out on Monday. I’m really upset. I don’t want him to go D: But he wants to.. So I respect that. Good luck with your family Steve, and I hope to see you soon again on GH(:

44. thk says:

there is really no replacement for Jason Morgan. Steve took that character & made it his own & I think it would be a mistake to recast.

45. Michaela says:

Jason has to be replaced , there has to be jason and sam , because they have a baby iLove jason on this show , ill literaly cry if he doesnt get replaced , omgee and im only 14 and iCant live without this show , directore dudee replace jason please , its whay everyone wants :(

46. d says:

not sure but have a hunch sean kanan may be returning as recast jason not reprising his role as aj.

47. d says:

in fact a good idea would be to have sean kanan be the new jason and bring back billy warlock as aj and have it revealed that duke was holding aj and robin captive the entire time

48. d says:

after all duke did make that mysterious phone call to the man referring to the “other” patient which could mean aj is alive and well

49. Ange says:

I just watched Jason get shot…why didn’t they at least let Sam and Jason find out that Jason is the baby’s daddy? I hate soaps, but I keep watchin…have taken some breaks here and there, but I keep coming back for more – my worst vice!

50. TV Fan says:

Hey Matt, what are the chances that this means that Steve and Maureen Flannigan can reunite for an “Out of this World” TV movie?