Emmys

Emmys 2012: What Should Win Outstanding Costumes For A Series? Take Our Poll!

Get More: Emmys, Polls

emmys 2012 best costume seriesThe Emmy red carpet will buzzing with “Who are you wearing?” and “Jewels by blabbity blah” come Sept. 23, but perhaps the most important fashion question of all is “Who will take home the statuette for Outstanding Costumes For A Series?”

Reigning champ The Borgias is back in contention for “The Confession,” with both Boardwalk Empire (“21″) and Game Of Thrones (“The Prince Of Winterfell”) nominated for the second consecutive year, as well.

A couple of newcomers are also in the mix for the prize: ABC’s Once Upon A Time (“Hat Trick”) and Downton Abbey (“Episode 1″). The latter, however, took home Outstanding Costumes for a Miniseries, Movie or a Special, when competing in a different category in 2011.

What would you do if you had the power to honor one of these fine shows when the Emmys are handed out September 23? Choose your favorite in our poll below — TVLine voting closes Sept. 14, so act now! — then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every day for the next month, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor, and to stay up to speed on all our races, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (19)

• Once Upon A Time. Love the Disney inspired outfits.

Comment by Mark – August 28, 2012 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No offense but anyone could copy Disney outfits, it takes serious talent to come up with original constumes for a multicultural Game of Thrones, especially because its not a period piece you can borrow from history books like Borgias, Downton abbey or Boardwark. Recognition goes to recognition is due: Game of Thrones for the win.

Comment by Plain Spectator – August 29, 2012 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No offense but anyone could copy Disney outfits. It takes serious talent to come up with original costumes for a multicultural Game of Thrones, especially because its not a period piece you can borrow from history books like Borgias, Downton abbey or Boardwark are. Recognition goes where recognition is due: Game of Thrones for the win.

Comment by Plain Spectator – August 29, 2012 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • None of the Once Upon a Time outfits are “copied” from Disney. They are original in every way and fantastically reflect their character.

Comment by nick1372 – August 29, 2012 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ohhh, we’re getting into the fun categories now. I’m not kidding, I eat these kinds of awards up, I enjoy them so much! And I’m so sad to see cute little Southern Janie Bryant isn’t nominated this year (she’s responsible for the costumes in Mad Men and I think Pan Am as well.) This is quite a tough category to vote for, they all look like excellent nominees, don’t they? Period shows always look so fantastic with their costumes and sets.
    I think I’m going to vote for Game of Thrones on this one just because they do such a good job of combining the historical with fantasy. And they have so many different kinds of costumes to create, like you’ve got the tribe wandering the desert, the people who live in the harsh winter at the Wall, the royalty, the wildlings, the peasants, and now we’ve got the White Walker zombies coming into the picture. That’s a lot of costumes to create! The Borgias is pretty sumptuous though, I wouldn’t mind seeing a win again there. I think Once Upon a Time might ultimately win though. I wish I could remember that episode better. That was the Wonderland episode, right? Hmm, yeah, that one is probably going to win.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – August 28, 2012 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • eh hello? Pan Am… I mean the show got cancelled because it blew its budget and spent all its money on costumes*…

every week was an absolute treat!

sumptious wonderful lavish opulent absolute dress-pórn

FYI – i did a dressmaking course because of this (and a little help from Mad Men) – (I have a copy of every Edith Head dress in my fantasy wardrobe).

*hyperbole of course and have nothing to back it up but you see where i’m going?

Comment by imisspanam – August 28, 2012 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The reason Once Upon a Time should win is that not only are the fairytale world costumes exquisite, but the Storybrooke costumes are so well thought out; each character being represented perfectly in their costuming. Its a sign of a really talented costume designer that there is such syncronicity throughout the costuming in both realities.

Comment by mia – August 28, 2012 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS! Totally.

Comment by nick1372 – August 28, 2012 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was going to say Downtone Abbey, but realized how much I love One Upon a Time’s. Regina/Evil Queens outfits are amazing and agree about the syncronicity between both worlds. Only Emma’s leather jackets bug me!

Comment by GeoDiva – August 28, 2012 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had hard time picking between Downton, Game of Thrones and Once. Was pleasantly surprised to see that the overall vote was very close between those three, as well. I’d honestly feel any of them would be deserving.

Comment by ben – August 28, 2012 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My vote would go to Nadine Haders of TNT’s Leverage. Her costuming of the crew adds to the personas they take on each episode. One of her most outstanding episodes yet was last season’s The Van Gogh Job, a flashback episode set mostly in the 40′s. In it she keyed all the colors in the 40′s section off the lost Van Gogh painting that drove the action. It was exquisite!

Comment by kate – August 28, 2012 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was shocked that Game of Thrones wasn’t winning, then I realized, well I guess since there are soo many scenes with the characters not wearing any costumes, I guess I can see why.

Comment by moobear – August 28, 2012 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THE BORGIAS SHOULD WIN -BECAUSE DOING COSTUMES FROM THE 19TH CENTURY AND 20′S AND 30′S IS EASY TEHRE MORE PICTURES ETC BUT 16TH 17TH 18TH CENTURY COSTUMES CAN BE A LITTLE MORE TRICKY BUT THE COSTUME DESINGER FOR THE BORGIAS WHO ALSO DESIGNED THE COSTUMES FOR THE TUDORS SHOULD WIN

Comment by olivia – August 28, 2012 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • let’s get real, it’s either gonna be Downton or Borgias. period costumes always have the edge.

Comment by cjeffery7 – August 28, 2012 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Once Upon a Time costumes are so cheap and bad just like the sepecial effects. DA will win this though I’m shocked mad Men wasn’t nominated.

Comment by anna – August 28, 2012 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh this one was so hard for me! I want the wardrobe from Downton Abbey and Boardwalk Empire but the the costumes from Once and Game of Thrones are just amazing. I chose Once because there’s something fun in guessing what the Queen is going to be wearing each week!

Comment by Crystal – August 28, 2012 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The evil queens costumes are quite possibly the most beautiful costumes I have ever seen. So I’m definetly rooting for Once.

Comment by Gilda – August 29, 2012 12:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really hard to choose in this category because I think the costumes on all of the shows listed are amazing. My gut reaction was “The Borgias” because the costumes are so sumptuous and gorgeous but upon further reflection, I am leaning towards “Once Upon a Time” because the clothing really enhances the characters, hmm….

Comment by SAM – August 29, 2012 05:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had to go with Once Upon a Time because while Downton Abbey’s costumes are really good, there is so much pictorial material for the designers to reference. With OUAT the designer’s must draw on their imaginations.

Comment by Templar – August 29, 2012 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post