The Office: We've Picked Our 25 Favorite Dunder Mifflin Moments — What Are Yours?

The recent announcement that The Office will close up shop next year had us clutching our Dwight bobbleheads close and reminiscing about the NBC sitcom’s last eight seasons.

The paper company’s misfit employees have gotten themselves into so many romances, jams, zipline accidents and bat attacks over the years, it’d be nearly impossible to pick the best scenes.

But we did it anyway.

RELATED | Fall TV Preview: Office Boss Touts a Stronger Andy, Kelly’s Parting ‘Gift,’ a Wedding and More!

Here, in no particular order, are our 25 favorite moments from the The Office’s first eight years. No, every character isn’t represented. Yes, there’s a whole lot of Jim and Pam. Yes, we interpreted “moment” rather loosely. And yes, we fully expect you to have your own suggestions for the list – that’s why we love you like Meredith loves happy hour.

So once you’ve clicked through the photos below, hit the comments hard and often. (That’s what she said.)

Tags: ,

Comments (177)

• Am I the only one who found very moving the moment when Michael bought Pam’s painting?
    And what about their cover of Rent’s seasons of love?

Comment by nicolas – August 28, 2012 03:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kind of suprised that the two funniest moments that came immediately to mind — the already-mentioned fire drill sequence and the CPR class which moves from an awesome rendition of “Staying Alive” to Dwight slicing the face off the dummy and pulling a “Silence of the Lambs” — didn’t make the list.

Comment by Chelle – August 28, 2012 05:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Definitely one of the best. I am a CPR instructor, and I started using “Stayin’ Alive” after I saw this episode whenever I teach compressions. Everyone gets a big laugh out of it because they all know this episode!!!

Comment by Miss Polly – August 29, 2012 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For me, the best moment is yet to come. That is, when this show finally goes dark in its last scene. Having spent decades in a real “Office”, I never understood why this show was considered funny. However – different strokes for different folks. For those of you who enjoyed the show, there’s the spin-off to look forward to.

Comment by David P. Graf – August 28, 2012 06:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Future Dwight, and when Dwight finds Toby’s box of complaints that were supposed to go to corporate, then they end up going through all of Jim’s pranks. “Today I hit my head with the phone”

Comment by Jessica Edwards – August 28, 2012 06:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SO many great moments, but here are a few of my favorites off the top of my head:

1) Jim’s proposal (duh)
    2) Michael hitting Meredith with his car and the resulting Dunder Mifflin 5K
    3) Kelly telling Ryan she is pregnant – cut to her shaking her head at the camera
    4) Every scene with Mose in it
    5) Michael finding out that Toby had returned to his job – “No, God no!”
    6) Michael cooking his foot
    7) David Wallace’s midlife crisis – “Suck it!”
    8) The entire “Gay Witch Hunt” episode
    9) “Dammit Meredith, where are your panties?!” “What, it’s casual day!”
    10) Andy’s phone ringing in the ceiling, him punching a wall because of it

Comment by CJ – August 28, 2012 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Those are some great ones! Laughed out loud remembering #3. Kelly cracks me up!

Comment by Terry – August 29, 2012 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with all the comments so far but had to mention the episode when the students were graduating from high school with the expectation of Michael paying their college tuition. So funny!

Comment by P. Carr – August 28, 2012 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There’s been a murrrrrderrrr in Savannah, I do declare! (Caleb Crawdad played by Michael Scott) in the Murder episode……Andy talking about the proper Savannah accent–”It’s like molasses dripping from your mouth” and then when Caleb makes Oscar use a southern accent…HILARIOUS!!! I’m going to miss this show so much!!!!

One more from Dwight, “The “r” is a hard sound, which is why “murder” sounds so good…it wouldn’t be nearly as bad if it was “muckduck”. I don’t know what episode that’s from but one of Dwight’s best lines ever.

Comment by appler – August 28, 2012 07:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • When Creed comes into the office, and Michael says “there’s been a murder, and you’re a suspect!”, Creed RUNS out of the office! Priceless!!!!

Comment by Miss Polly – August 29, 2012 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe no one mentioned Jim coercing Dwight into beating the crap out of himself during his annual martial arts demonstration. My favorite moment ever. Makes me laugh every time.

Comment by Sara – August 28, 2012 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I tried picking my best 25 Office moments, and I honestly couldn’t, there were too many of them! Some good ones here – obviously all the JAM highlights and I laughed out loud remembering Michael declaring bankruptcy. Some others worth mentioning – Creed dyeing his hair black, Michael pushing Toby’s lunch off the table when he was talking about his parents’ divorce, Michael covering his face so that Holly wouldn’t see him insult Toby during Toby’s exit interview, Jim and Pam spending the day talking on the Bluetooth phones, and Jim and Dwight role-playing the sales call with Michael in that same episode, Andy revealing to Pam that he had researched birth coaches when he was single…the list literally goes on!

Comment by Jessie – August 28, 2012 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like where Dunder Mifflin buys out The Michael Scott Paper Company…with Michael’s shining moment of telling David Wallace “I just have to wait you out”.

As well as telling Charles “You’re gone”.

Don’t forget Jim’s toast at the wedding rehearsal…the whole thing about learning to drive stick, the mental photos, etc..

Comment by Shawn – August 28, 2012 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about their classic Christmas parties and the Booze Cruise, not to mention just about everything Creed has ever said? The episode directed by Joss Whedon was another good one. Too many great moments. I also thought last season’s Florida episodes were hilarious.

Comment by Carrie – August 28, 2012 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, Creed’s “Somebody making soup?” as everyone stands outside Michael’s office where Packer has left his “gift” is a personal favorite of mine.

Comment by Col Bat Guano – August 29, 2012 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How to Host a Garden Party – closing ceremonies.

Comment by Carrie – August 28, 2012 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not sure if it should be in the top 25….but the top 50 for sure — when Jim leaves work at night and Dwight has built dozens of snowmen in the parking lot and Jim is too scared to go to the car… Haha

Comment by Brian – August 28, 2012 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So incredibly happy to see Diversity Day on this list. Absolutely HILARIOUS. My husband and I quote Kevin and Angela’s exchange all the time:

Kevin: Wanna get high?
    Angela: (looking disgusted) Nooooo.
    Kevin: I think you do mon. (in his best imitation of a Rastafarian accent)

I laugh every time I hear it. So great.

Comment by Daisy – August 28, 2012 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! Love diversity day! “This is an environment of welcoming, so maybe you should get the hell out of here.”

Comment by Abby – August 28, 2012 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about when Jim and Dwight form an alliance in season 1? Or Michael’s apology video in season 3?

Comment by Abby – August 28, 2012 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honest the Injury when Michael gives his monologue about how it happened, and the van ride to take them to the hospital might have been the funniest thing on tv ever. Then there is the episode when Ryan started the fire, the one christmas episode when Michael buys Ryan an iPod as his secret Santa gift. Or the one that starts out with Dwight staging the fire so they could practice the safety protocol except they all think its real and completely freak out and angela throws the cat thru the ceiling! The one when Jim starts listing all of the things hes has done to Dwight, or when Jim is in the other office and he convinces Dwight that he is getting messages from his future self. And finally one of my all time favorites conflict mgmt and the line that michael says to Toby “what do you know about conflict mgmt, your answer to everything is to get divorced”. Oh god too many good ones to even list!!

Comment by Christina – August 28, 2012 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I forgot “you can’t fire me I don’t work in this van!” or “what’s worse a head injury or a foot injury?”

Comment by Christina – August 28, 2012 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about the one where Andy and Dwight are following Darryl to prove he is faking his back injury and he catches them! Or the birthday card that Michael spends all of that time on for Phyllis and its horrible and he tries to make it up to her by trying to kiss her.

Comment by Christina – August 28, 2012 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of my all time favorite episodes is when Michael and Jan host a dinner party.

Comment by Diane – August 29, 2012 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “I declare bankruptcy!” I love, and miss, Michael Scott

Comment by Henrik Hellberg – August 29, 2012 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You cant forget the Snowball fight!!!!

Comment by Keith – August 29, 2012 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How can you not include the scene in Casino Night when Toby tells Michael why he canceled the Boy Scouts. For a brief moment, it seemed like Michael was trying to be nice to Toby and toby crushed him.

Michael Scott: Oh, and another fun thing. We, at the end of the night, are going to give the check to an actual group of Boy Scouts. Right, Toby? We’re gonna…

Toby: Actually, I didn’t think it was appropriate to invite children since it’s… You know, there’s gambling and alcohol, and it’s in our dangerous warehouse and it’s a school night… And, you know, Hooters is catering. You know, is that enough? Should I keep going?

Michael Scott: Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be.

Comment by ernie – August 29, 2012 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely Meredith and casual day – the image, although pixelated, is still burned into my retinas. Angela throwing the cat into the ceiling during the fire alarm. Dwight knocking the coffee cup out of Stanley’s hand. Trivia was funny – the Einsteins getting the question about Einstein wrong, especially! Definitely Michael and Dwight “saving” the branch. Dwight at the party at David Wallace’s. You really need a list for the top 100, perhaps – and leave Nellie and Robert California off it.

Comment by Erin – August 29, 2012 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Recyclops deserved to be on this. What a shame.

Comment by Angelica – August 29, 2012 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dwight pepper spraying Roy in “The Negotation.” So many quotes. Might have been the peak of the show.

“I am not a hero. I am a mere defender of the office. You know who’s a real hero? Hiro from “Heroes.” That’s a hero. Also Bono.”

“Every day for eight years, I’ve brought pepper spray into this office to protect myself and my fellow employees. And every day, for eight years, people have laughed at me. Well, who’s laughing now?”

“No, don’t call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go into their normal jobs, and get a distress call from the Commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes.”

Comment by DwightFan – August 29, 2012 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “I’m not superstitious. I am a little stitious.” – Michael

Comment by Laura – August 29, 2012 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Best Michael Scott line – ever!

Comment by Miss Polly – August 29, 2012 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love every single moment of the office! I DECLARE……..BANKRUPTCY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Steffan – August 29, 2012 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pretzel day and Ryan’s initiation with the Red Dragon wheelchair reference – “You have walked the long, lonely walk of loneliness” – and “You need to vanquish fear! One must wrestle fear to the ground! You will now wrestle my cousin Mose!” I think the quotes are correct.

Comment by Deb – August 29, 2012 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No way to narrow it down to such a short list, but here’s some of my favorite moments not on this list:

Conflict Resolution
    Prison Mike
    The basketball game
    Michael accidentally cross-dressing
    Micheal’s “apology” video
    Michael reconciling with Jan after her augmentation
    Dwight taking down Roy with pepper spray
    Andy finding out he was dating a high-schooler
    Dwight putting a spin-move on a secretary
    Andy losing it over not having his phone and eventually punching a wall
    Any interaction between Michael and Toby – “His answer to everything is ‘get a divorce’.”
    Michael getting kicked out of Phyllis’ wedding

OK. I guess I should stop.

Comment by amorris71 – August 29, 2012 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There’s a forgotten amazing quote in the Diversity Day episode. “Abraham Lincoln said if you’re a racist, I will attack you with the North”. When Jim pushed Michael into the Koi Pond. When Kevin spills the whole load of chilli on the floor. Basically, every scene before Steve Carrell left. The quote on the board in the Michael Scott Paper company. Dwight saving Jim when Roy attacks him.

Comment by Soap – August 29, 2012 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • When Michael makes Pam go back to the office to get a piece of paper.

Comment by Soap – August 29, 2012 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really, any moment with Michael and Toby in the same scene. Especially Michael’s reaction when Toby came back. Also, when they had the woman come in to teach CPR after Stanley’s heart attack. The Benihana Christmas was hilarious too. I’m gonna miss this show!! Too many great scenes to mention.

Comment by Terry – August 29, 2012 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Four words… Dwight from the future…

Comment by John – August 29, 2012 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The fire drill Dwight instigated (Season 5, Episode 13, “Stress Relief”) is one of the funniest moments of the entire series.

Comment by Dante A. Bacani – August 29, 2012 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When Stanley yells at Michael in the meeting, and then Michael goes to Darryl for “gang” advice… Which leads to “fluffy fingers”…

Also, during the episode of the auction when the gavel squeaks and Michael looks at it and goes “what the hell is this? It squeaks when you bang it. That’s what she said” – all with a straight face.
    Gets me every time.

Comment by Katie – August 29, 2012 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of my favorite episodes is when Michael wants to be Survivorman – and Dwight takes him out in the “wilderness”. Michael yelling out “I have hemorrhoids!”, “Jan has plastic boobs!”, and “I wish I had gone on that camping trip with Ryan!” , and Dwight screaming at Michael and making him spit out the poisonous mushrooms. Hysterical!!!

Comment by Miss Polly – August 29, 2012 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Take your daughter to work day!! Stanley says to Ryan after thinking he is after his 8th grade daughter. “Boy, have you lost your mind? ‘Cause I’ll help you find it. What you looking for? Ain’t nobody gonna help you out there. Jesus could come through that door and he’s not gonna help you if you don’t stop sniffing after my child.”

Comment by Tania – August 29, 2012 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Season 5, Episode 7 Customer Survey…Jim and Dwight shouting at eachother in the pretend sales call…”BUTLICKER! OUR PRICES HAVE NEVER BEEN LOWER!!!!” I watched that like 10 times and didn’t stop laughing, that whole scene was wonderful!

Comment by Jacob – August 29, 2012 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Office on fire, lip dub opening, cutting off the dummy’s face, the entire search committee episode, and the every christmas party

Comment by Alec Miller – August 29, 2012 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CREED

Comment by alpine – August 29, 2012 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of my favorites is stress relief when Dwight set the trash can on fire and when he cuts the face off of the dummy. Also when Angela’s cat is sick and she is seen liking it on her web cam.

Comment by sarah – August 29, 2012 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about when Jim played the jello prank on Andy? OMG i still laugh til I cry! “Ima bout to lose my FREAKING my mind!!!” lol JIm looks at the camera all scared shaking his head…

Comment by jennifer – August 29, 2012 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Or when he punched the wall right before he went to anger management… lol gotta love Andy!

Comment by jennifer – August 29, 2012 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How can you forget Stress Relief Pt 1 and 2?!

Comment by Syreeta – August 29, 2012 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One I haven’t seen mentioned that I absolutely loved: In the ‘Bring Your Daughter to Work Day’ episode when Michael tells the kids he was a child star. When they show the video and he says “”I want to get married and have 100 kids, so I can have 100 friends, and no one can say ‘no’ to being my friend”. The awkwardness was incredible!!

Comment by Bill – August 29, 2012 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “meredith, your boob is out”.

Comment by david g. – August 29, 2012 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Some big ones you forgot: Andy’s bleeding nipples; Michael Scott Paper Company arc; Goodbye Toby; Beach Day!; a murder in Savannah. Things you shouldn’t include: anything past season 7 — definitely not Nelly or Robert … ugh!

Comment by AmyM – August 29, 2012 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about all the good Michael and Toby moments? Or “Safety Training” when Michael and Dwight drop a watermelon that bounces off the trampoline onto Stanley’s car?

Comment by Shane Cavanaugh – August 29, 2012 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you for mentioning bouncing the watermelon off of Stanley’s car. When my husband and I first watched this episode, I didn’t think we’d ever stop laughing at that scene. Priceless

Comment by Kari G – August 29, 2012 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hes gonna kill himself pretending to kill himself! Michaels fake suicide from depression and the group talking him down

Comment by Pete – August 29, 2012 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • u shudleve put the roast that was the best when michael disses them all

Comment by robert stupen – August 29, 2012 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The wine bottle and balloon popping, plus CeCe crying, in Andy’s Play is very underrated, I remember cracking up.

Comment by A – August 29, 2012 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The perfect ending to the office: in the last episode, Michael comes back with Holly, who is now his wife, and she’s pregnant.

Comment by Lala – August 29, 2012 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Better yet Holly and Michael have twins – a baby boy and girl. And of course they are named Jim and Pam.

Comment by Seth – August 29, 2012 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post