Fall TV Preview

Glee Hot Shots: Check Out the Season 4 Cast Portraits! Plus: New Directions Picks Its Star

The march toward Season 4 of Glee continued Monday with the release of the show’s official cast portraits.

With the exception of Dianna Agron (Quinn) and Jayma Mays (Emma), both of whom were out of the country working when the pics were snapped, pretty much all of the usual suspects — and a few new ones! — are present and accounted for (just as they were in this recently released group shot).

RELATED | Exclusive: Glee Exec Promises New Romance For Finn, Touts a Not-That-Innocent Rachel

Click through the following gallery to view all the new “class photos” and to sneak a peek at the season premiere, “The New Rachel,” in which Unique, Brittany, Tina and Blaine ask Artie to pick one of them as New Directions’ next star.

Glee returns Thursday, Sept. 13 at 9/8c.

Tags: ,

Comments (280)

• It seems a bit “gleek-ish” to argue which actor/actress on Glee has the best voice when the quality of the voice can be mechanically strengthened, and often is, for any of the participants. I believe that some members of the Glee cast, regardless of vocal strengths or weaknesses, command the stage when they perform and it is difficult to watch anyone else. That “stage presence” can’t be dubbed in. I believe Darren Criss is a natural. Arte is not far behind. If I were Ryan Murphy, I’d find a new medical break-through to get Arte/Kevin’s legs “healed”. Then perhaps bring in the lovely young girl from the Glee Project to be the non-token wheel chair student.

Comment by ProfKatG – August 27, 2012 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kevin is more of a natural performer than Darren if we’re talking music. Better dancer, better singer.

Comment by Sam – August 28, 2012 03:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • A lot of people don’t like Kevin’s voice. It’s all subjective.

Comment by figpf – September 4, 2012 05:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did anyone notice how only Brittany and Santana’s portrait have the light blue background? They are the only couple with their own color :)

Why is Artie choosing the next star? Glee this time around should give more of the singers fairer chances. Or of they have to choose shouldn’t Mr. Shute be doing that? Or shouldn’t it be everyone gets a say?

Comment by Kim – August 27, 2012 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Blaine and kurt are yellow!! Lol even thou sues is too

Comment by Mike – August 27, 2012 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well I know I’m late but once again this message is directed towards loads comment about OMunique being part of the new directions, this show is based on acceptance and teenage gender identity is a huge taboo right now! Before it was being gay and everyone said the same things ill tune it out, its unreal, etc… etc… but I don’t feel like its fair to sugest that that part of the show should be tuned out! The world is full of different people and transvestites are part of it, so why should they be excluded?? I enjoy his charecter he proves that you can be a strong independent person no matter what goes on! I feel like his back story will be brought to life in this season IMO! And I’m excited about it

Comment by Mike – August 27, 2012 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know why so many people are complaining about Blaine stepping up as the male lead. His voice is contemporary and when he takes the stage he really does have a commanding presence. Of all the male characters, Blaine is best suited to take the role of male lead. Let’s not forget that Finn was the male lead and had one of the weakest voices of all the males

Comment by Wes – August 27, 2012 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you, Wes. He was leader of the Warblers so he has the experience. He would be an obvious choice.

Comment by Kay – August 27, 2012 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And Artie’s been a director of a musical and the Christmas special. They both have the experience, and Artie has the edge as a founding member of ND.

Comment by Sarah – August 28, 2012 03:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because your opinion is subjective? I find no commanding stage presence in his over-exaggerated facial expressions and lifeless dancing. I also find no strength in his voice.

Comment by Ren – August 28, 2012 03:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So who would you choose as the next male lead?

Comment by Wes – August 28, 2012 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Artie. He has the most leadership experience (directed Vogue, directed WSS, directed the Christmas special), has the best voice, and is a founding member of the group. Easy.

Comment by Ren – August 28, 2012 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Artie is great, but the chair prohibits that special interaction on the stage that a male lead needs. I think Artie’s role will remain as is…great singer but not the lead.

Comment by Smiley May – August 29, 2012 05:56 PM PDT
          • I always thought Artie was more passionate about film making, and Blaine was more passionate about music.

I would choose blaine because of his dedication, and prior experience.

Comment by entterthedragon – September 4, 2012 05:54 AM PDT
          • As a Blaine fan, I do not agree that the chair limits Artie in any way.

Comment by entterthedragon – September 4, 2012 05:55 AM PDT
          • ~damage control

Comment by entterthedragon – September 4, 2012 05:55 AM PDT
  • Damian/Rory is gone because his seven episodes are up and apparently no one liked his character enough for them to keep him around. Same thing with Lindsay/Harmony – she was signed for three episodes, which she did. Alex/Wade/Unique was supposed to get the same number of eps as Lindsay, but if the writer’s really like his character, he may get more. Blake will be playing a “Finn-type” character named Ryder, and he’ll debut in episode 5 of the new season. Hope that clears up any questions about TPG 1 and 2 winners. :]

Comment by Ellie – August 27, 2012 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Damian isn’t coming back because Murphy and Brennan were infatuated with the Gay/cross-dressing/transgender/ or whatever Unique’s particular sexual persuasion is story line—-pure and simple! Also, Sorry to disagree with you, but hundreds of thousands of fans DID!!! “like his character enough” and are pretty teed-off that he was treated sooooo badly by Murphy and his gang of ding-dongs!!! Got big big news for those of you that are looking forward to seeing more Unique this season…….There’s about 700,000 more fans that would prefer to see Damian McGinty on the screen than want to see Alex Newell…..probably more, actually. Alex is a bad actor, no other way to put it, and his singing is akin to listening to someone scraping a razor blade repeatedly across a chalk board…..The kid shrieks most of the time…not gonna’ say any more on that subject…’nuff said… Alex, by the way, was featured HEAVILY in 3 episodes although he was only supposed to have a guest starring role in 2 episodes…HUGE production numbers , plenty of dialogue….Compare that to what Damian got in the 17 episodes he was in…..kind of unfair the way he was unscrupulously hidden in the background while Mr. Newell was always front and center….He basked in the limelight. Lindsay Pearce also was awarded 2 episodes and Murphy saw to it that she, too, had HUGE production numbers to showcase her….only about 5 sentences of dialogue, though……Hey, guess who else got a big old production number when his character was introduced? Wasn’t Mr. Flanagan…… guess that leaves the other TGP1 co-winner—the one and only Samuel Larsen……Hmmmmmm…..Something’s not quite right with this picture…..A certain someone got shafted by Mr. Murphy….wonder why….. Absolutely disgraceful the way the producers treated Mr. McGinty….He was clearly more talented than the other 3….not to mention his voice is just incredible!…:)……People that can sing like him are few and far between…..Why would Glee producers throw that oh so golden “ticket” (McGinty) away and trade it in for 2 somethings (Larsen and Newell) that are “dollar store” quality??? …..It’s drivin’ me bonkers!……why oh why oh why???…..[P.S...Hope all of you enjoy the "Alex Newell Show" this year for that's what season 4 is going to be all about!...topped off with a whole lot of Rachel Berry, of course.....kiss Glee good-by......so so sorry.....]

Comment by Adyn – September 6, 2012 02:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think you’re right about how it’ll be the Unique show. All pictures we’ve seen from spoilers and all that feature Unique in the center and guess who’s not in the center? Tina! I’ve never really criticized Glee and the writing or anything, but I watched the TGP1 and wasn’t a fan of Alex. I like Damian and I’d like him to be back. His voice is great!

Comment by Adriana – September 6, 2012 04:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why all the goodbye fanfare when all of these people are coming back? They sucked out all the boo-hoos in last seaon’s finale, making the farewell such a big deal, but nearly every character from last season is apparently in the premiere.

Comment by Aria – August 27, 2012 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Most of the cast is only coming back for a few episodes (holidays and such). The only ones that will have regular appearances will be Lea (every episode), Cory (except when he is shooting his 2 new movies) Chris, and Naya.

Comment by Smiley May – August 29, 2012 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The whole time after Sam I was just like “whos that & Who’s that?!” Lol

Comment by Katy Dale – August 27, 2012 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I already feel like I’m going to really like Marley.

Comment by popculturewithkyle – August 27, 2012 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too! Her voice is amazing!

Comment by Smiley May – August 29, 2012 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the pics, but I’m 99% sure that some of these outfits are from as far back as Season 2. Especially Santana’s. No wardrobe budget?

Comment by RZ – August 27, 2012 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Darren is the best singer now and alex sing very good but he is insoportable!!! Were is joe? He win the glee proyect… Prefiero ver a samuel y no a alex…

Comment by daniela – August 27, 2012 08:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Alex, Kevin, and Jenna are all better singers than Darren.

Comment by Sarah – August 28, 2012 03:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t enjoy Kevin or Alex’s voices.
        Jenna is good.

Comment by ficklemo – September 4, 2012 05:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So how long are we going to have to put up with ‘Unique’? I can’t stand that actor, he’s such an ass.

Comment by FairyTaleLover – August 27, 2012 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Kurt’s photo. Also Jenna looks really cute. I’m just a little bit off again with the concept of age in this show (not that many things make sense). But for example I really can’t see Kitty in high school. She looks already college-age to me.

Comment by Kay – August 27, 2012 11:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What channel will glee be on because i am so excited

Comment by Caitlin – August 27, 2012 11:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • where’s dianna ????

Comment by donia adel – August 28, 2012 12:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In France making a movie

Comment by Smiley May – August 29, 2012 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Already way too much gay/les issues in S3. Now it’s going to be a regular thing in S4. Bleh.
    Why can’t Glee just focus more on its singing & performance?!? Most of the songs sucked in S3 too compared to S1 & 2.

Comment by pris – August 28, 2012 12:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • While I don’t agree on them not focusing on gay/lesbian topics, I appreciate there’s a show that gives those couples some attention (which is never even close to the focus of straight couples) I do agree on not liking the song selection for the most part of season 3. I don’t really care for all these songs in the radio at the moment. I’m on the minority to the show’s eyes aparently, tho. But go on Glee, chasing the iTunes numbers. At lest I hope they keep an eye on their writting while doing so. Still, not very optimistic after that s3 mess.

Comment by Kay – August 28, 2012 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I liked season 3, but season 2 was my favorite. I enjoy the angst of the couples and season 3 focused more on graduation and college woes. But as far as the songs go, I personally really liked them. Especially the whole story line with ND and Troubletones, etc. West Side Story songs were great and I loved that they spread them out during auditions, so they weren’t all shown on the same episode. And from Christmas special on it was fantastic. I know people didn’t like the xmas epi, but I though it was hilarious to let a teen boy do a TV special, result will be weird) . The only episode that I didn’t really care for was “The Spanish Teacher”

Comment by Smiley May – August 29, 2012 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree. Season 2 was my favorite season because it introduced us to Darren Criss (Blaine). I liked most of the episodes. The Prom episode was good too, and I thought Kurt dealing with being Prom Queen was handled very well. In Season 3, I loved the episodes leading up to “The First Time” dealing with the auditions for the musical, and “The First Time”, “Michael” and “Dance With Somebody.” “Graduation” was very good too, but very emotional for me, especially the end. I am looking forward to Season 4 although kind of uneasy about episode 4 “The Break-Up” as I don’t want any of the couples to break-up, especially Kurt and Blaine. But will have to see what the writers have come up with as to interesting storylines.

Comment by Kay – August 31, 2012 06:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I think it will be great to have them (Finchel and Klaine) break up. Think how great the last kiss in New York was with Finn and Rachel and their interaction there. It was great because it makes getting back together soooooo exciting!

Comment by Smiley May – September 3, 2012 06:22 PM PDT
  • I think that all the new people coming into glee will make it good but I will miss santanna puck and kurt but aleast we still have blaine artie and tina

Comment by toni-anne – August 28, 2012 01:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, logically, it should be Blaine (the “natural” candidate according to himself) or Artie (who could fignt in forgetting the fair-play to win the vote) for boys AND Tina (though I think she is too weak to be leader) for girls but a rumor a couple of weeks ago said that the name of the leader of the New Direction 2.0 could be totally unexpected so…Unique or Brittany?

Comment by Géraldine – August 28, 2012 01:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t care who’s a better singer.. where’s the lovely Quinn -_-

Comment by Alex – August 28, 2012 05:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nothing else to be said……gave me a good laugh….thanks….:)….

Comment by Adyn – September 6, 2012 02:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The new cheerleader girl looks the same age as Matthew Morrison.

Comment by Glory – August 28, 2012 05:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My simple reply was put in the wrong place…look above your comment “Glory” for mine….(Adyn)

Comment by Adyn – September 6, 2012 02:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Tina was supposed to be the female lead. If this is gonna be true, whose voice has chemistry with hers? I consider Artie’s does. Besides, they are the original members. I hope this will happen. (No offence, but I’m really sick of Blaine.)

Comment by Fanabr – August 28, 2012 06:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Tina and Blaine should be co-captains.

Comment by ficklemo – September 4, 2012 05:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks TvLine!!!! I have been looking forward to this!!!

Comment by j – August 28, 2012 07:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it just me or does Kitty look more like a 40 year old soccer mom than a young high school student? Also, I love Blaine and would absolutely love him as the lead, but in the end I would be happy with ANYONE but Unique as lead. I mean, yeah, he’s a good singer, but he’s not that good of an actor and I’m not happy about him transferring. He always looks bored in all of his scenes.

Comment by HN – August 28, 2012 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I don’t like Unique either. When those scenes were on, I fast-forwarded through them because I do not like that character. I would hope that Artie, Tina and Blaine could all be co-leaders as they are fully capable of leading the group. But with Glee you never know what they will do. They will probably pick someone totally random (like one of the newbies). Tina has been totally ignored the last 3 seasons, so I hope she will get some solos this year to feature her talents.

Comment by Kay – August 31, 2012 06:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do you people get that this is a TV show? It’s not real people!!! Artie doesn’t make any decisions, nor does Will, Rachel, Finn….the WRITERS make ALL the decisions!

Comment by Terri – August 28, 2012 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly, and it also depends on the contract the actor has…Lea Michele’s contract is as a lead, where Tina’s is as a supporting role. Yes, the lead will get most of the solos. So it all depends how each actor is signed on…more face time and singing = more money.

Comment by Smiley May – August 29, 2012 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone else think that the new cheerleader looks like she’s older than Mr. Schue?! I’m not really seeing from that photo how she can play HS. I can suspend my disbelief, but not THAT much.

Comment by CS – August 28, 2012 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think that is a photo what is supposed to make her look particularly evil. If you google her you’ll see that she is ( and looks) quite young.

Comment by Smiley May – August 29, 2012 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woah! Who the hell is that Brody guy? And Sam’s stopped being fit :( He was best in Season 2 I think.

Comment by Leah Rose – August 28, 2012 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Sam will emerge as the new male lead. I think Sugar will sing and sing BIG this year. The actress who plays her can sing very well. If you listen to “in my Life” in the Goodbye epi. you can hear her…sounds really good.

Comment by Smiley May – September 3, 2012 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For starters, if there is any justice, the co-leads should be artie and tina since they were the original members. It would be a bad move to have blaine. My main issue with blaine is I think they over-exposed him. I mean after one year as a recurring character they instantly promoted him to series regular, and sam’s fans were pissed about that. Plus i didn’t like how he had so many solos in the early episodes compared to the seniors. but only time will tell. As for the new girls, they’re supposed to be freshman right? Because they look way too old to be 15 or 16 years old. Puck’s brother looks his age, but not the girls. Oh well. And also, I think the only reason alex is back because with mercedes gone, they realized, “Crap we never introduced any new black characters on the show to join NW! We’ll have alex’s character transfer.” “murphy, i don’t think many people like alex.” “well better complaining about him than complaining about lack of minority students in the club.” Hilarious if that actually happened.

Comment by JVC – August 28, 2012 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Sam is going to be lead though. Which is problematic.

Comment by ficklemo – September 4, 2012 06:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am tired of all this Darren/Blaine hate. He may not have the most powerful voice of everyone, but in my opinion he is probably the best performer. However, I do agree that Artie and Tina should get there chance to shine (finally!) in their senior year. But Blaine deserves the lead as much as anyone. Besides, who says they can only have two “leaders?” More than two people can take on that responsibility. But actually, why do they even need to have all this captain stuff? Mr. Ague is the director of Glee club, here, not anyone else.

Comment by Rose – August 29, 2012 02:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “But Blaine deserves the lead as much as anyone”

Nah son, Artie and Tina are both founding members and Blaine’s only been in ND for a year.

Comment by Ren – August 29, 2012 04:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m not saaying Artus and Tina don’t deserve it, I just think that they really don’t need to have only two captains. Or any captain at that.

Comment by Rose – August 29, 2012 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Um..,honestly I don’t like Blaine as a character but I never hate Darren. I think many people agree about this?

Comment by Fanabr – August 29, 2012 05:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Mr. Shue ** I didn’t mean to write “Ague” haha

Comment by Rose – August 29, 2012 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Quinn><

Comment by Boyn – August 29, 2012 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well Darren is their best Singer, I love Kevins voice though, but I find Darrens more complex, I mean he can sing every song, Ballad, Rock, Pop… He got it all.

Comment by GabrielaRod – August 29, 2012 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes. all I have to say to that is yes.

Comment by Rose – August 29, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • where is BLAKE?

Comment by Amanda Harrigan – August 29, 2012 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously, do people not bother reading before commenting? Actually go through the post and shut up about Quinn already!

Comment by Keep Up – August 29, 2012 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay, earlier I said that Blaine deserved to be co-captain as much as anyone. But I guess that was a little biased. Yes he has an amazing voice, and he is my favorite character, but Artie and Tina have patiently waited for their senior year to shine. But whoever ends up as captain, that really shouldn’t have to do with who gets solos. Mr. Shue decides that. Well actually, the writers of Glee decide that, but you get what I mean. I would love for Blaine to be a captain, but the truth is that Blaine fans might get a little tired of him just like we did with Rachel. So if there are going to be captains, although I’d prefer that there aren’t any captains at all, it should be Artie and Tina.

Comment by Rose – August 29, 2012 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s hard being a Blaine fan. lol.
      It’s like we can’t want anything too big for him.

Comment by StanTearsOfEmotion – September 4, 2012 06:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I read that they are picking someone in the ND to be the “New Rachel,” but we don’t know for sure if that’s what the name of the episode means. it could have a double meaning, such as there could be someone at NYADA who gives Rachel some trouble because she finds herself to be not as ‘one of a mind’s as she thought. After all, I’m sure she’s going to meet at least a dozen other people who are just as talented as her with dreams just as big. But also, why would they want to make the ND just the same as they were before, with One or two people getting almost all the solos, and everyone dancing and singing in the background of them. I think everyone else should get a chance to have their spotlight. Perhaps with the exception of Sugar since she can’t sing and Brittany sinceshe doesn’t have the strongest voice.

Comment by Rose – August 29, 2012 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • one-of-a-kind** not mind’s … stupid auto correct

Comment by Rose – August 29, 2012 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the way they are putting the double meaning in the first episode “The New Rachel” making us think it is Rachel in New York, but it is really the Glee Club’s new Rachel-like singer in the form of Marley. I didn’t realize it until I saw a You tube video of Melissa singing and she will give Tina a run for her money. So I think Tina will have a lot of presence this year, but Marley is going to be the front runner for the glee club. For the male lead, I think it will be Sam. They have to have a lead male who can create the sexual tension between himself and the female lead, like Finn and Rachel had in Hello/Goodbye for example. That attraction and angst is what makes us get hooked, so I think it will have to be someone new or Sam, or maybe Joe? I am really looking forward to the season. I hope they give Finn and new wardrobe makeover. Poor guy has been wearing the same stuff for 3 years now. Although I think he will probably spend a lot of time in his ACUs (Army uniform). They need to inject some of Cory’s style into Finn, as they are having Rachel dress more like Lea. I also hope Finn gets a little Army girl to be his little “special friend” for a while and when she falls for him he sings “Two Out of Three Ain’t Bad” to her.
    The lyrics are spectacularly fitting for the Finchel situaltion.
    So I am super excited.

Comment by Smiley May – August 29, 2012 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just want Blaine, Artie, Tina and Britt to have a good senior year.
    And sort out colleges and rebuild themselves and have fun.

Screw all the in-fighting. ::)

Comment by StanTearsOfEmotion – September 4, 2012 06:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh Wow. Ya Are Crazy. The Male Lead Should Be Blaine. & The Female Lead Should Be Tina. Darren Criss Is An AMAZING “Overall” Performer & Singer. & IN MY OPINION, Better Than Kevin. Even Though, Kevin Is GREAT If Not On The Same Level As Darren. But Out Of The Girls, Tina Would Be Best Choice For A Female Lead. Its NO Argument For That. So Yeah, If There Was To Actually Be A “New Rachel” It Would Be Blaine. & When Blaine & Artie Sang “Control” At Sectionals They Were AMAZING. So, Even Though iSay It Should Be Blaine, iDont See Why It Couldnt Be BOTH Of Them.

Comment by Mars – September 4, 2012 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post