Fall TV Preview

Exclusive Castle Sneak Peek: The First Photo of Season 5 Is Quite a Puzzle

Rick and Kate may’ve ended last season in the throes of passion, but the first image of the pair from Castle‘s Season 5 premiere is all business and very little pleasure.

RELATED | Castle Boss on the Morning After: ‘The Fun and Conflict Only Escalate’

The following first look at the ABC drama’s Sept. 24 opener, titled “After the Storm,” shows Castle & Co. attempting to piece together a shredded file that may contain a clue about the murder of Beckett’s mother.

“I don’t know if [that mystery] is going to get resolved [this season],” hedged Nathan Fillion last month at Comic-Con. “That whole plot line is such a wonderful locomotive that keeps things moving.”

VIDEO | Nathan Fillion Says Castle and Beckett Are ‘In It to Win It’

From the looks of the image below, the train appears to be slowing down as Castle zeroes in on what could be a breakthrough. Or is he just trying to draw attention away from him and Beckett, lest Esposito and Ryan pick up on any post-coital tension? Thoughts?!

Castle Season 5

Comments (85)

• yay finally!! :D

Comment by VegaM – August 24, 2012 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My eyes can only concentrate on how beautiful Stana Katic looks right now! Better than ever.

Comment by itsmemartu – August 24, 2012 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Her hair is glorious. All four of them look great. Or maybe it’s just that I missed them so much…

Comment by Sophie – August 24, 2012 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • me too… she’s simply stunning :)

Comment by sfg – August 27, 2012 11:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She looks better every episode. She pulls off the toughness of the Beckett character but, in reality I thinks she’s a real sweetie; a balance between simple elegance and cuteness.

Comment by Eric Platz – August 28, 2012 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Only a month to go! I’m so excited. Its nice to see everyone together.

Comment by leigh – August 24, 2012 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It looks like they’re working in her loft.

Comment by M – August 24, 2012 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I was just about to point that out. That makes sense, since some of the other BTS photos were taken at here apartment and Ryan and Castle were in some of them.

Comment by TM – August 24, 2012 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • couldn’t agree more. i think maybe ryan bring that evidence in since kate and javi are being suspend/quit and castle obviously couldn’t be at the 12th if kate’s not ard…

Comment by sfg – August 27, 2012 11:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is almost comical how far Castle and Beckett are sitting from each other, trying hard not to give any hints about their new relationship status to Ryan and Espo

Comment by Icy_devil – August 24, 2012 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know right? That made me laugh out loud.

Comment by Jane – August 24, 2012 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They have to sit apart from each other. If they’re too close they might slip up.

Comment by alieh86 – August 24, 2012 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And probably using every ounce of strength to keep heir hands off each other!

Comment by megshells – August 24, 2012 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That it a good point of view. Do you think they want to have Espo and Ryan out of the loop? If so then that does open up a whole new dimension for comical relief and sneaky rendevous. ;) Lol, but thanks for bringing that to may attention! It certainly made me look twice and laugh the second time!

Comment by nessa – August 27, 2012 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s all we get? Icy_devil, you’re right. Distance. Hilarious!

Comment by RoadSinger – August 24, 2012 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow good luck trying to put all the pieces together.

Comment by Mari – August 24, 2012 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ryan and Esposito are not distant though. Does this mean they have made up?

Comment by Amy – August 24, 2012 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would say that Ryan and Esposito are loyal enough to put their fight behind and help Beckett with her mom’s case.

Comment by itsmemartu – August 24, 2012 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Exactly 1 month left!!! I love puzzles, but that one seems quite the challenge. Can’t wait for Season 5 to start!

Comment by Tina Liu – August 24, 2012 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It really must be Christmas around here!! Thank you for this!!

Comment by Andrea – August 24, 2012 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s all??? Come on!!! More pictures please :-)

Comment by Missy – August 24, 2012 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally something Castle. Love it can we have more please.

Comment by Tina – August 24, 2012 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the way they are cautious and slowly promoting Castle this year, like they are leaving the very best sneak peaks for last! Great picture by the way! :)

Comment by tahina – August 24, 2012 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s great but it’s also killing me!

Comment by Alex – August 24, 2012 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aww I missed them so much.

Comment by Savvy – August 24, 2012 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • whoo hooo! Can’t wait!!

Comment by Dorothy Bergs – August 24, 2012 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this show!!! Been a fan since day 1. Can’t wait for season 5!

Comment by g.g72 – August 24, 2012 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • me too……..

Comment by democrar – August 27, 2012 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I will second that! I have also seen ever show! Awesome couple!

Comment by Bev. – September 5, 2012 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love that picture. 31 more days!

Comment by Missy – August 24, 2012 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love it. Great. Awesome. Fantastic. Caskett.

Comment by Amy – August 24, 2012 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t you mean… fancaskett?? BING.

Comment by ginger – August 24, 2012 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The suspense of them not releasing any promos is killing me, but it also excites me! It makes me think that they have AMAZING stuff and they’re trying not to spoil it. That said, we only have one more month to go, so yay!!! Also, Nate looks amazing here!

Comment by rachelle – August 24, 2012 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i choose to believe that’s it – so amazing, they can’t imagine spoiling it early. that doesn’t mean if they post a video sneak peek that i won’t be all over it. ;)

Comment by loretta – August 24, 2012 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally Castlle, can we please have the promo already.

Comment by Kaylee – August 24, 2012 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 30 more days, the waiting is killing me

Comment by Elly – August 24, 2012 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love a lot of shows but I have never obsessed over anything but Castle. I just love the cast crew everything.

Comment by Sky – August 24, 2012 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The picture looks so intense.

Comment by Quinn – August 24, 2012 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nathan is looking more fit here. He looks great!

Comment by Mcat – August 24, 2012 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Probably preparing to take his shirt off more this season

Comment by Emmydee23 – August 27, 2012 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC, you’re killing me with the wait.

Thanks for the pic though. Dang, if Beckett’s mom’s murder clues are based on those shredded files, I highly doubt the case would be solved any time soon. Yes!

Comment by Audrey – August 24, 2012 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Out of all of my shows, this may be the season premiere I’m most anxious for! Can’t wait!!!

Comment by Lorie – August 24, 2012 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The next month is going to be THE longest month in history. You just know Castle & Beckett are thinking to themselves “I wonder if they can tell…”

Comment by megshells – August 24, 2012 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If the file Montgomery had on the Dragon has been shredded, that means Maddox got what he wanted from Mr. Smith, which presumably means Mr. Smith is no longer among the living, and could be the murder they have to investigate. As to the pile of shredded documents, as Oswald Cobblepot proved in “Batman Returns”, “a little patience – and a LOT of tape – make all the difference.” Finally, on a side note, people have been wondering how Beckett returns to the force. I’m almost 100% positive that Captain Gates disregarded Beckett’s spur-of-the-moment resignation until such time as her best detective had time to cool off and gain some perspective. She’s not the monster everyone thinks she is, and if Beckett would just give her a chance, I think Gates could be her strongest ally. After all, NO ONE hates corrupt cops more than she does.

Comment by Steven – August 24, 2012 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree with all your comments. Pretty plausible-sounding speculation there (and excellent Cobblepot reference!).

Gotta say to the Castle fandom out there- the big bad guy is NOT called the Dragon. Yes, that bad cop (McAllister? I think) said to Kate once “You woke the dragon”, but he was speaking metaphorically. He was not actually naming him. It’s a pretty good name to use in the fandom to discuss the mysterious evil person/force responsible for all this villainy, just so long as people see that the name the Dragon wasn’t actually intended by the writers.

Comment by Anna – August 24, 2012 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think we all know the big bad guy’s name isn’t The Dragon. It’s just a shorthand we use when discussing the person or people behind the conspiracy.

Comment by Nikko – August 25, 2012 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Anna’s right, though… I run into a lot of people in the fandom who DON’T know that. But of course, most of us do ;)

Comment by Emma – August 25, 2012 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Penny’s done a great job with a character who the writers haven’t done much with and who is otherwise a very tired cliche. I can’t credit the writers on this one. She hasn’t complained about defending Castle’s crazy antics to the commish, but it’s been touch and go at times. What’s made Gates work is that at some times she’s a martinet, and at others she’s willing to bend the rules to protect herself politically. And you never quite know which Gates you’re dealing with. And Penny makes it believable.

So far, she’s been an enemy of Beckett’s investigation. She shut it down in “Rise”, and she played right into the Dragon’s hands in “Dial M for Mayor”. Suspending Beckett and Esposito was necessary but also effectively shuts down the investigation yet again. Gates is likely to prove to be a ferocious opponent of the Dragon, simply because if she isn’t, then she’s not long for the series. And that would be a tragedy, because if the writers can get a handle on the character she’s a gold mine.

Comment by asdfasdf – August 26, 2012 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on Love. Laugh. Always. and commented:
    The return of Castle is right around the corner. Who’s is excited for September?! This girl.

Comment by Kelsey Tape – August 24, 2012 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • only one month left and i just can’t wait any more

Comment by kunwar phukan – August 25, 2012 12:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Only 1 month can’t wait the best tv show ever

Comment by mattie cogs – August 25, 2012 12:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dying. Slowly. Agh. ABC. Why!?!?! The cast look amazing :’) The wardrobe looks real good ,especially for Stana. If I’m so excited over a picture, I don’t know how I’m gonna handle the premiere. Oh man.

Comment by Flick – August 25, 2012 03:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FINALLY!

They all look fantastic, ESP mr fillon! I love that abc is making us feel suspenseful but at the same time wish they would back Castle like they do with Revenge and put that huge publicity out there.

My favorite show of all, so excited to see what they do with this season. I do really believe this is a new beginning of the series!

Comment by Megan – August 25, 2012 04:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who cares! I’m just happy to see my favorite bromance on TV Esposito and Ryan in the same room! Thought they might be done after the season finale.

Comment by Jane – August 25, 2012 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PRAISE THIS POST !!!!!!

Comment by Lilu – August 25, 2012 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Beckett in short sleeves ftw.

Comment by molly – August 25, 2012 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FINALLY something concrete about the premiere. The press release hasn’t even come out yet (CBS is ahead of the game on that). As for Beckett and Castle sitting apart, it’s not that noticeable to me. They might look farther apart because of the angle of the shot. But I think if we were to see it straight on, the distance between them wouldn’t be abnormal. Still, I agree that the couple is probably doing everything in their powers to not be all over each other with Ryan and Espo around. September 24, where are you?

Comment by Sarah Elizabeth Ann (@myownlittlecrnr) – August 25, 2012 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just hope Beckett will be normal this year. I loved her in Season 1 and 2 where she was sarcastic, hard-working woman. Last season was so dramatic I started to dislike it. Maybe it’s just me but I really think that their relationship may ruin the show

Comment by Olya – August 26, 2012 01:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I kinda think it may be just you because I’ve never met anyone that didn’t want them to be a couple,sorry :P

Comment by Gixx – August 26, 2012 05:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not just you. She used to be relatable and quirky. Now she is just an average “male fantasy” woman, even her supposed flaws are glamourized. “Oh, I’m so haunted, I’m so brooding! I have these walls that prevent me from making friends despite of how beautiful, intelligent and special I am! Everybody loves me from afar, and I am just so complicated!”

Comment by gg – August 26, 2012 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Lucky for you Marlowe has promised to bring back the fun, quirky, silly Castle episodes back in season 5 so you should see more “quirky” Beckett. AWM has made it clear that season 5 will not be as dark as season 4.

Comment by alieh86 – August 26, 2012 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • God I’m seriously a puddle now I can only imagine what will happen if I see the first promo let alone the episode!! The cast truly looks amazing in this pic!! September is just eons away now!! 2012 is just plain cruel…..

Comment by Krithika – August 26, 2012 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • when we’ll see the fifth
    season in Italy?

Comment by Fausto – August 26, 2012 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHEN WE WILL SEE THE PROMO? Even Bones given us the promo

Comment by Dragonfly – August 26, 2012 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ohhhh my gooood !!!!!!!! WHERE IS SEPTEMBER 24TH ALREADY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ABC IS KILLING ME !!! LONGEST DAYS OF MY LIFE!!!

Comment by Jazlyn Myles – August 27, 2012 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show have been waitin for a long time cant wait any longer

Comment by Justin Taylor – August 27, 2012 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This looks like an orgy of evidence.

Comment by Joe (@culverROX) – August 27, 2012 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am extremely happy that Castle has been given the go ahead for another season. I know that sooner or later, Castle and Beckett are going to get passed all the other stuff and discover what a couple they really are.

Comment by Harry – August 27, 2012 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castle’s expression suggests to me worry and mental conflict. He wants to support Kate , yet at the same time he is fearful for her safety .

Comment by Kim Logan – August 27, 2012 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, I guess since there is a season 5 of Castle, (not that I’m comlpainig.) there wil be no return of Firefly. There was talk of it coming back. :( Or they could do it all. :)

Comment by Mary – August 27, 2012 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • is it just me, or does Nathan look much more fit than he did last year? Momma like!

Comment by Lola – August 27, 2012 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought they left off last season where Beckett quit.

Comment by MK204 – August 27, 2012 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Beckett was out of control and now business as usual??? I hope not!

Comment by mike – August 27, 2012 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post