Exclusive

Exclusive Castle Sneak Peek: The First Photo of Season 5 Is Quite a Puzzle

Rick and Kate may’ve ended last season in the throes of passion, but the first image of the pair from Castle‘s Season 5 premiere is all business and very little pleasure.

RELATED | Castle Boss on the Morning After: ‘The Fun and Conflict Only Escalate’

The following first look at the ABC drama’s Sept. 24 opener, titled “After the Storm,” shows Castle & Co. attempting to piece together a shredded file that may contain a clue about the murder of Beckett’s mother.

“I don’t know if [that mystery] is going to get resolved [this season],” hedged Nathan Fillion last month at Comic-Con. “That whole plot line is such a wonderful locomotive that keeps things moving.”

VIDEO | Nathan Fillion Says Castle and Beckett Are ‘In It to Win It’

From the looks of the image below, the train appears to be slowing down as Castle zeroes in on what could be a breakthrough. Or is he just trying to draw attention away from him and Beckett, lest Esposito and Ryan pick up on any post-coital tension? Thoughts?!

Castle Season 5

1. VegaM says:

yay finally!! :D

2. itsmemartu says:

My eyes can only concentrate on how beautiful Stana Katic looks right now! Better than ever.

3. leigh says:

Only a month to go! I’m so excited. Its nice to see everyone together.

4. M says:

It looks like they’re working in her loft.

• TM says:

Yeah, I was just about to point that out. That makes sense, since some of the other BTS photos were taken at here apartment and Ryan and Castle were in some of them.

• sfg says:

couldn’t agree more. i think maybe ryan bring that evidence in since kate and javi are being suspend/quit and castle obviously couldn’t be at the 12th if kate’s not ard…

5. Icy_devil says:

It is almost comical how far Castle and Beckett are sitting from each other, trying hard not to give any hints about their new relationship status to Ryan and Espo

• Jane says:

I know right? That made me laugh out loud.

• megshells says:

And probably using every ounce of strength to keep heir hands off each other!

• nessa says:

That it a good point of view. Do you think they want to have Espo and Ryan out of the loop? If so then that does open up a whole new dimension for comical relief and sneaky rendevous. ;) Lol, but thanks for bringing that to may attention! It certainly made me look twice and laugh the second time!

6. RoadSinger says:

That’s all we get? Icy_devil, you’re right. Distance. Hilarious!

7. Mari says:

Wow good luck trying to put all the pieces together.

8. Amy says:

Ryan and Esposito are not distant though. Does this mean they have made up?

• itsmemartu says:

I would say that Ryan and Esposito are loyal enough to put their fight behind and help Beckett with her mom’s case.

9. Tina Liu says:

Exactly 1 month left!!! I love puzzles, but that one seems quite the challenge. Can’t wait for Season 5 to start!

10. Andrea says:

It really must be Christmas around here!! Thank you for this!!

11. Missy says:

That’s all??? Come on!!! More pictures please :-)

12. Tina says:

Finally something Castle. Love it can we have more please.

13. tahina says:

I like the way they are cautious and slowly promoting Castle this year, like they are leaving the very best sneak peaks for last! Great picture by the way! :)

14. Savvy says:

Aww I missed them so much.

15. whoo hooo! Can’t wait!!

16. g.g72 says:

Love this show!!! Been a fan since day 1. Can’t wait for season 5!

17. Missy says:

Love that picture. 31 more days!

18. Amy says:

Love it. Great. Awesome. Fantastic. Caskett.

19. rachelle says:

The suspense of them not releasing any promos is killing me, but it also excites me! It makes me think that they have AMAZING stuff and they’re trying not to spoil it. That said, we only have one more month to go, so yay!!! Also, Nate looks amazing here!

• loretta says:

i choose to believe that’s it – so amazing, they can’t imagine spoiling it early. that doesn’t mean if they post a video sneak peek that i won’t be all over it. ;)

20. Kaylee says:

Finally Castlle, can we please have the promo already.

21. Elly says:

30 more days, the waiting is killing me

22. Sky says:

I love a lot of shows but I have never obsessed over anything but Castle. I just love the cast crew everything.

23. Quinn says:

The picture looks so intense.

24. Mcat says:

Nathan is looking more fit here. He looks great!

25. Audrey says:

ABC, you’re killing me with the wait.

Thanks for the pic though. Dang, if Beckett’s mom’s murder clues are based on those shredded files, I highly doubt the case would be solved any time soon. Yes!

26. Lorie says:

Out of all of my shows, this may be the season premiere I’m most anxious for! Can’t wait!!!

27. megshells says:

The next month is going to be THE longest month in history. You just know Castle & Beckett are thinking to themselves “I wonder if they can tell…”

28. Steven says:

If the file Montgomery had on the Dragon has been shredded, that means Maddox got what he wanted from Mr. Smith, which presumably means Mr. Smith is no longer among the living, and could be the murder they have to investigate. As to the pile of shredded documents, as Oswald Cobblepot proved in “Batman Returns”, “a little patience – and a LOT of tape – make all the difference.” Finally, on a side note, people have been wondering how Beckett returns to the force. I’m almost 100% positive that Captain Gates disregarded Beckett’s spur-of-the-moment resignation until such time as her best detective had time to cool off and gain some perspective. She’s not the monster everyone thinks she is, and if Beckett would just give her a chance, I think Gates could be her strongest ally. After all, NO ONE hates corrupt cops more than she does.

• Anna says:

Totally agree with all your comments. Pretty plausible-sounding speculation there (and excellent Cobblepot reference!).

Gotta say to the Castle fandom out there- the big bad guy is NOT called the Dragon. Yes, that bad cop (McAllister? I think) said to Kate once “You woke the dragon”, but he was speaking metaphorically. He was not actually naming him. It’s a pretty good name to use in the fandom to discuss the mysterious evil person/force responsible for all this villainy, just so long as people see that the name the Dragon wasn’t actually intended by the writers.

• Nikko says:

I think we all know the big bad guy’s name isn’t The Dragon. It’s just a shorthand we use when discussing the person or people behind the conspiracy.

• Emma says:

Anna’s right, though… I run into a lot of people in the fandom who DON’T know that. But of course, most of us do ;)

• asdfasdf says:

Penny’s done a great job with a character who the writers haven’t done much with and who is otherwise a very tired cliche. I can’t credit the writers on this one. She hasn’t complained about defending Castle’s crazy antics to the commish, but it’s been touch and go at times. What’s made Gates work is that at some times she’s a martinet, and at others she’s willing to bend the rules to protect herself politically. And you never quite know which Gates you’re dealing with. And Penny makes it believable.

So far, she’s been an enemy of Beckett’s investigation. She shut it down in “Rise”, and she played right into the Dragon’s hands in “Dial M for Mayor”. Suspending Beckett and Esposito was necessary but also effectively shuts down the investigation yet again. Gates is likely to prove to be a ferocious opponent of the Dragon, simply because if she isn’t, then she’s not long for the series. And that would be a tragedy, because if the writers can get a handle on the character she’s a gold mine.

29. Kelsey Tape says:

Reblogged this on Love. Laugh. Always. and commented:
    The return of Castle is right around the corner. Who’s is excited for September?! This girl.

30. kunwar phukan says:

only one month left and i just can’t wait any more

31. mattie cogs says:

Only 1 month can’t wait the best tv show ever

32. Flick says:

Dying. Slowly. Agh. ABC. Why!?!?! The cast look amazing :’) The wardrobe looks real good ,especially for Stana. If I’m so excited over a picture, I don’t know how I’m gonna handle the premiere. Oh man.

33. Megan says:

FINALLY!

They all look fantastic, ESP mr fillon! I love that abc is making us feel suspenseful but at the same time wish they would back Castle like they do with Revenge and put that huge publicity out there.

My favorite show of all, so excited to see what they do with this season. I do really believe this is a new beginning of the series!

34. Jane says:

Who cares! I’m just happy to see my favorite bromance on TV Esposito and Ryan in the same room! Thought they might be done after the season finale.

35. Lilu says:

PRAISE THIS POST !!!!!!

36. molly says:

Beckett in short sleeves ftw.

37. FINALLY something concrete about the premiere. The press release hasn’t even come out yet (CBS is ahead of the game on that). As for Beckett and Castle sitting apart, it’s not that noticeable to me. They might look farther apart because of the angle of the shot. But I think if we were to see it straight on, the distance between them wouldn’t be abnormal. Still, I agree that the couple is probably doing everything in their powers to not be all over each other with Ryan and Espo around. September 24, where are you?

38. Olya says:

I just hope Beckett will be normal this year. I loved her in Season 1 and 2 where she was sarcastic, hard-working woman. Last season was so dramatic I started to dislike it. Maybe it’s just me but I really think that their relationship may ruin the show

• Gixx says:

I kinda think it may be just you because I’ve never met anyone that didn’t want them to be a couple,sorry :P

• gg says:

Not just you. She used to be relatable and quirky. Now she is just an average “male fantasy” woman, even her supposed flaws are glamourized. “Oh, I’m so haunted, I’m so brooding! I have these walls that prevent me from making friends despite of how beautiful, intelligent and special I am! Everybody loves me from afar, and I am just so complicated!”

• alieh86 says:

Lucky for you Marlowe has promised to bring back the fun, quirky, silly Castle episodes back in season 5 so you should see more “quirky” Beckett. AWM has made it clear that season 5 will not be as dark as season 4.

39. Krithika says:

God I’m seriously a puddle now I can only imagine what will happen if I see the first promo let alone the episode!! The cast truly looks amazing in this pic!! September is just eons away now!! 2012 is just plain cruel…..

40. Fausto says:

when we’ll see the fifth
    season in Italy?

41. Dragonfly says:

WHEN WE WILL SEE THE PROMO? Even Bones given us the promo

42. Jazlyn Myles says:

ohhhh my gooood !!!!!!!! WHERE IS SEPTEMBER 24TH ALREADY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ABC IS KILLING ME !!! LONGEST DAYS OF MY LIFE!!!

43. Justin Taylor says:

I love this show have been waitin for a long time cant wait any longer

44. This looks like an orgy of evidence.

45. Harry says:

I am extremely happy that Castle has been given the go ahead for another season. I know that sooner or later, Castle and Beckett are going to get passed all the other stuff and discover what a couple they really are.

46. Kim Logan says:

Castle’s expression suggests to me worry and mental conflict. He wants to support Kate , yet at the same time he is fearful for her safety .

47. Mary says:

Well, I guess since there is a season 5 of Castle, (not that I’m comlpainig.) there wil be no return of Firefly. There was talk of it coming back. :( Or they could do it all. :)

48. Lola says:

is it just me, or does Nathan look much more fit than he did last year? Momma like!

49. MK204 says:

I thought they left off last season where Beckett quit.

50. mike says:

Beckett was out of control and now business as usual??? I hope not!