Exclusive

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Mentalist, Person of Interest, Private Practice, Modern Family and More

Is The Mentalist issuing a new Red alert? What interesting persons are returning to Person of Interest? What would a Private Practice spin-off look like? Read on for answers to those questions plus other teases from hot shows.

The Mentalist | Unknotting and opening the reader mailbag (it’s made of burlap, FYI), Erin is “dying to know” what fans can expect this season with Lisbon, played by Robin Tunney. As it turns out, our Vlada Gelman just got off the horn with show boss Bruno Heller, who revealed that “Lisbon, apart from having to deal with Jane and Lorelai (played by Emmanuelle Chriqui), in the middle of the season sets off on her own journey of vengeance and redemption. That’s a three- or four-episode arc in which she needs to catch her own Lisbon version of Red John, and that’s going to be fun.” I thus open the floor to nickname suggestions for this new nemesis: Rouge Ruby? Candy Apple Candice?

PHOTOS | CBS Sneak Peeks: The Mentalist‘s Face-Off, CSI Tracks Down [Spoiler] and More

Person of Interest | Speaking of CBS procedurals, I myself recently gabbed with POI VIPs Jonah Nolan and Greg Plageman, and while at this time they would only offer up a “We hope so” when it comes to bringing back my old soap crush Paige Turco as Zoe, they were able to confirm other returns for Season 2 of last year’s most watched freshman drama. Jay O. Sanders will resurface as the D.C. bigwig codenamed “Pennsylvania 2,” Robert John Burke is back as Fusco’s NYPD pal Simmons, and Annie Parisse and Mike Kelly will reprise their roles as CIA operatives Kara Stanton and Mark Snow. As for new guest stars, I asked what their plan was for Margo Martindale. “That’s top-secret,” Plageman deferred, adding only that the Emmy winner’s role won’t be quite as extreme as Justified‘s Mags Bennett, yet significantly “different” from her Gifted Man hospital admin. UPDATE: Turco/Zoe is now confirmed to return in Season 2, Episode 5.

RELATED | Ask Ausiello: Scoop on Person of Interest‘s Mysterious Machine

Private Practice | Jenna asks: “Do you think there is any chance that Shonda Rhimes could do a new show after Private Practice ends, centering around Charlotte and Cooper? I find their interactions fascinating.” Well, I don’t know if Shonda‘s thinking about that, but the marrieds’ portrayers certainly are. Adelstein envisions an Alabama-set sitcom titled Hey, Cooper!with an exclamation point, he notes. (“Clearly I’ll come on occasionally with a cornbread and chicken casserole and throw it at him,” says Strickland.) Strickland meanwhile is also game to either headline Charlotte Cooper! (again with a bang) or reunite with Tess Harper, the TV mom she shares with Breaking Bad‘s Aaron Paul. “I’ve pitched that we’ll become Hank and Marie’s neighbors,” says the actress and BB superfan. “I think it would be excellent.”

RELATED | A ‘Happy Ending’ for Addison! But Will Private Practice Go On Without Her?

Revenge | When I saw Christa B. Allen repping the show at a recent ABC event, I had to ask: So… Charlotte’s fistful of pills didn’t take? “If you OD, it doesn’t necessarily mean death,” she pointed out, “so the pills definitely did have their effect – in more ways than one. Anyone who’s seen that side of life, almost dying, comes out the other side of it reformed.” Or, maybe, ready to rumble in grand Grayson fashion. “I feel like Charlotte was whipped around so much last season, it’s the perfect set up for her to plant her feet, dig her heels in and maybe get revenge of her own now!”

VIDEO | First Revenge Season 2 Trailer: Emily Is In Over Her Head!

Sitcom Scoops | On Modern Family this season, watch for Phil and Luke to get wrapped up in something that’s “a bit like a sports storyline, where a Dad would pressure his son into football or something, and the son might not be that into it,” Ty Burrell tells us. ‘Cept neither football, baseball nor lacrosse is the issue at hand. Rather, Phil eggs his son on to literally work his magic. “He could be a professional magician. He’s a natural,” Burrell previews…. In other comedy news, The Middle‘s Sue will be riding high when she is recruited to serve as mentor to a lonely freshman girl, only to see the lass go all Tai Frasier on her…. Parks and Recreation‘s Leslie will run afoul of Pawnee’s morality watchdogs when she, Donna and others are caught behaving badly with bananas – meaning, they offer a safe sex seminar in a town that proudly preaches abstinence to its youth.

If there’s a show you’d like the Inside Line on, email mattmtvguy@gmail.com, and maybe it’ll get some love the next time around! (With reporting by Meg Masters and Vlada Gelman)

1. PP says:

That wasn’t PP scoop. Boring

2. Nerwen Aldarion says:

HOLY CRAP!!! I wrote a fic where Lisbon had her own revenge quest! It’s something I have ALWAYS wanted them to do!!! *celebrates*

• Delirious says:

I just hope they go with another colour… Like Blue Joe, Yellow Mike, Green Gob… Uh… Yeah, or something. lol

3. Natalie says:

Yes! Finally! Something about Lisbon. Thanks SO much, Vlada and Matt. You guys rock! I cannot wait to see this! I’m looking forward to seeing how she deals with the whole Jane and Lorelei mess and she has her own arc and her own RJ-esque killer to go after…! THIS is why I love this show. Season 5 sounds like it’s bringing’ it. Is Jane gonna help her (and her team?)? Which writers are writing the eps? Will this effect how she deals with Jane about RJ? So many Q’s…
    Anyway, thanks again so much. You made my day. :

4. Yes! Finally some spoilers about Lisbon. Seems she’s going to be a busy lady in season 5. I can’t wait!

5. lll says:

Glad Annie Parisse will make time to come back to Person of Interest to continue or finish that arc. I know she is busy filiming The Following, so this is good.

6. King says:

Finally more Lisbon on The Mentalist! I like her and her reactions to Jane’s tricks always cracks me up.

7. Natalie says:

Oops. In my excitement, I forgot to say thanks for the POI spoilers too. And Bruno Heller is so awesome to us. I’m so glad to watch a show with such a great guy as the showboss.
    Thanks again, Vlada, for asking about Lisbon for us. :)

8. cynthia says:

Yes! Excited about the Lisbon scoop:)

9. Juliab. says:

Thanks for the POI scoop. I can’t wait to see what’s in store for Margo Martindale, she was excellent on Justified.

The Mentalist sounds good too. I had lost interest in the show, I will check it out again.

10. A says:

If anyone should get a spin-off from PP, it should be Caterina Scorsone and her character as Amelia Sheppard. I mean I like Charlotte and her rape story arc was very interesting and well-acted, but the rest of the characters on the show I can’t see them beyond PP. To me they were always supporting characters and Addison was the main reason I tuned and it stayed that way until Caterina entered the show. Her character is so riveting and well-acted that i wish she would just front the show after Kate Walsh leaves or have her own spin-off series. Shonda really has an amazing character with Amelia on her hands and it would be a shame for it to end only with PP.

• Amanda says:

Strange, I couldn’t disagree more. I find the character of Amelia to be grating and over acted. If she left it would be no great loss in my opinion. I guess that’s why they say that there is always something for everyone on t.v. :)

• I disagree with you both! I think Addison should just leave Private Practice and take Shonda Rhimes with her. We all know Shonda pretty much doesn’t write the series, it’s all her staff. I adore both Charlotte AND Amelia, they’re my favorites. They’re strong enough to carry a show without Addison. So is Cooper, he’s awesome. And Violet. Amy Brenneman is an amazing actress and Violet without Pete is such a rich character! Even Sam can stay. And Ben. I don’t care for them as much, but they’re not hurting anyone. Without Shonda’s arrogance, Addison’s guy/baby whining, Pete’s hero complex, it’d be the most perfect show on tv. Yippie!

11. Lea says:

About Revenge:
    Is it mean that I’d rather Christa B. Allen’s character (whose name I had to look up in the article because I couldn’t remember it – it’s Charlotte, of course) would die? Because she really doesn’t do much for me. The first half, I just found her completely insufferable. After the “David Clarke is your father” reveal, she became the lamb, the victim of the whole story which made her slightly more interesting. But when she started to behave like someone from Gossip Girl towards the end, I couldn’t stand her anymore. Either way, if you want to keep her on the show, please, give her something to do – something interesting. And please, do the same for Declan. And Ashley, while we’re on it. For me, they sometimes dragged Revenge down and diminished my enjoyment. And I like the series and if they just fixed those characters, everything would be perfect… ;)

• SAM says:

I read that tidbit and thought immediately, “Darn! Charlotte lives!” I was really hoping that she would die and Declan would be so distracted by grief that he would accidentally kill himself by falling into the ocean.

12. Yeay Lisbon – cant wait to see her dealing with Lorelai and on top of that her own arc – how great is that?! Let the new season begin…

13. nick1372 says:

Thanks for POI, Revenge, The Middle & Modern Family scoop!
    No one ever posts The Middle scoop. Thanks for doing that. :-)

14. kel says:

Many thanks for the PoI scoop! I’m sure we’ll see Zoe again. Reese does owe her a drink. :) Can’t wait to see what happens with Snow and Stanton too.

15. Cana says:

Hmm… i wonder what Leslie Knope and her friends will do with those bananas. Sounds like a classic parks and rec. I wonder if they are drunk when this happens. It’s always classic when somebody especially Leslie is drunk on parks and rec.

16. Lara says:

As someone who works in a hospital, I can tell you for darn certain that almost dying from an OD does NOT reform a person. To quote a famous list, “You know you’re a nurse when you want to write a book called ‘Suicide: Getting It Right The First Time.'”

17. Ugh…if only Revenge had taken a cue from Smash and cut loose the characters that drag it down (aka Declan and Charlotte)

• Erin says:

I like Charlotte and Declan, they have potential. Ashley is the one I find annoying and pointless.

• That’s hilarious because I think Ashley has potential! I think she could be a huge supervillain if they only gave her something to do.

In fairness, they don’t really give any of them anything really juicy to do. Perhaps in S2 they’ll be incorporated in better…

18. SJ says:

Watch out Leslie & Co., Marcia Langman is always lying in wait… ;)

19. mia says:

1) Woot for Lisbon scoop! I just love her and I’m glad to see she’s getting more stuff to do
    2) I’m glad Fusco is returning on POI; I was surprised at how much I ended up caring for him towards the end. A man who is truly finding redemption in the most unconventional way.

20. carol says:

Thanks for the POI scoop! This is by far my favorite TV show! I am thrilled to hear that the dastardly Stanton and Snow will be back to plague our fab four. Annie Parisse in particular was outstanding in all her scenes with Jim Caviezel. Can’t wait for more Elias too: the spectacular perfomance by Enrico Colantonio made him the mob boss you love to hate. Any scoop on Reese, Carter, or Fusco developments for next season?

21. lista sutton says:

Unquestionably imagine that that you said. Your favourite reason appeared to be on the net the simplest factor to remember of. I say to you, I certainly get annoyed at the same time as other folks think about issues that they just do not recognise about. You controlled to hit the nail upon the top and outlined out the whole thing without having side effect , people can take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks