Fall TV Preview

Exclusive: Glee Exec Promises New Romance For Finn, Touts a Not-That-Innocent Rachel

Glee isn’t just rebooting itself in Season 4, it’s rebooting its leading lady, too!

“Rachel’s not innocent anymore,” previews executive producer Brad Falchuk of Lea Michele’s college freshman. “It’s nice to write her a little stronger.”

Helping to bring Rachel out of her shell will be her determined new suitor Brody (played by Dean Geyer). “She’s now not coming from a place when she met Finn, where she was like this totally insecure, annoying little girl,” he says. “Now she’s a woman and she’s been through a lot and she’s achieved a lot. So she approaches boys differently, with a different kind of confidence and a different kind of maturity. There’s not as much, ‘Don’t mention sex.’”

RELATED | Kurt and Blaine’s First (and Second) Obstacle Revealed

Regarding the new guy her in life, Falchuk notes that he’s “so different” from Finn. “He has the same kind of kindness and sweetness, but he’s a very different kind of person,” he says. “It’s great to write Rachel with somebody different.”

Where does all this leave ‘Finchel,’ who ended the season essentially broken up? The EP says the split “will stick” — for now at least. “I want Rachel and Finn to have a happy ending,” he insists. “I think the idea is that maybe they end up together, but a lot can change. As we write we might discover something interesting. It’s definitely not going to get better anytime soon for those two.”

RELATED | Good News, Bad News For Will/Emma Fans

In the meantime, Rachel has Brody, and Finn has…. ? “Undetermined at this point,” says Falchuk. “But he will have someone. He will definitely have someone.”

Thoughts? Are you in favor of the, ahem, new directions Glee is sending Rachel and Finn? And who would you like to see Finn paired with? Hit the comments!

Comments (520)

• I’m in this awkward situation where I love Cory Monteith but hate Finn, and I don’t think Finn could really be fixed as a character at this point. To be honest, I think I’d rather Cory Monteith just starred in a lot of movies where we can watch his talented self and ditch Glee because Finn is the main reason I started to dislike Glee.

Comment by Toni – August 25, 2012 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i think lucy hale would be a good new love for finn

Comment by cassie – August 25, 2012 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • lucy hale would be great

Comment by ej – August 25, 2012 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i think ej’s right lucy would be great

Comment by hannha – August 25, 2012 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I WANT LUCY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by TORI – August 25, 2012 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FINCHEL ALL THE WAY!!!!

Please Please Please I LOVE them together!!

It just wouldn’t b the same me and all my friends vote FIN AND RACHEL!!!!!

Comment by Maddy – August 25, 2012 10:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. Just wow. I love how the writers are trying to kill their season before it even starts. I have no words.

Comment by Bryce – August 26, 2012 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG I want Finn to be with someone but not for he must relise that he still loves Rachel but she with someone else and she dose not know who she wants Finn or Brody

Comment by Janisha – August 27, 2012 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just dont like the fact that Rachel and Finn were supposed to get married.. It sure doesnt mean a lot to them if she runs off to another city and just forgets all about him..
    I mean, i’m not really into the whole marriage idea, but they sure make it look like no big deal.

Comment by Bineke – August 27, 2012 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everyone make great points. The one main point I want to make is that although the concept and characters are incredible there is on huge flaw. The writers of this show drive me crazy. I will watch this show til it is taken off the air but the writers are the biggest flaw I see. Until the writers get some consistency in their stories and follow up on momentum they build this show will ultimately fail. As for finchel I was very disappointed when they broke up but grew to understand it. What I want for them is to find themselves. I don’t care if Finn goes back to Rachel. I want him to find out what he wants his future to be. Once they know what they want then maybe they can find each other.

Comment by mb2627 – August 27, 2012 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finn wont date another girl. He will be turned into a female cat and marry Lord Tubbington and have kittens with him. Rachel, meanwhile, will explore her “dirty” side and sleep with Brody, Jesse St. James, and Quinn. Rachel will soon have to choose who she loves more. Then, Jesse will realize he’s pansexual and run away with Puck, who realizes he is bisexual and Jesse will help him come to terms with it. Rachel will then have to choose between Brody and Quinn, both of whom she is madly in love with. She will end up marrying both of them (to Brody’s delight because he is turnd on by the fact that he gets to marry 2 girls at once). Kurt and Blaine will marry in New York, Sam and Mercedes will marry in LA when Mercedes becomes famous, Brittany marries Santana in Vegas, Will marries Emma in Columbus, Ohio, Rory marries Sugar in Ireland, and they all live happily every after! :D

(Best Story Ever if you ask me) ;)

Comment by Klaine is better than Finchel – August 27, 2012 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sounds like a good ending to me.

Comment by Kay – August 29, 2012 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m glad fans don’t write the show.

Comment by Klaine sucks and Faberry is joke. – August 31, 2012 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • finn and rachel need to be together just keep thme together no new love interest for either

Comment by darren – August 28, 2012 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FINCHEL FOREVER <3 screw reality lol

Comment by Alexandra Parvaz – August 28, 2012 10:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about a “new student” for Finn?

Comment by nvb506@aol.com – August 29, 2012 05:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Would like to stop the conversation of GLEE only focusing on the Finn and Rachel characters. Can we really talk about all the other under-developed characters.They have had 3 seasons to develop them and the ending is always the same (enough already). OTPs like Sam and Mercedes, Brit and Santana, Mike and Tina had little to no development and were easily dismissed but no one seems to care as long as the same stale storyline of Finchel keeps getting replayed. Missed opportunity by RIB and writers to give more attention to other characters that fans have interest in. GLEE is so exclusive vice inclusive that it has lost its way. So many other options to explore that do not focus primarily on Finchel. Just wish GLEE would realize that real world include interracial couples, gay couples, and situations that not all of society is ready to accept. So much material to write from here vice limiting it to who is dating who. Serious SAMCEDES fan and thought their storyline was on the way to development until RM so casually dismissed them. Kurt and Blaine could present so much real world angst that again RIB and thfe writers do not know how to develop. Introducing new players to the same refurbished storylines is a disservice to the fans and to what GLEE was supposed to be about (from my POV). I see nothing revolutionary about following the same pattern. Want more Klain, SamCedes, and Brittana vice Finchel is season 4. No its not going to happen because anything that can require any attention from this ADD crew is not going to happen. Will have to settle for continuity in GLEE being a slushie in the face and seeing Finn and Rachel break up only to end up back together again. As a fan I think I deserve more and that the fans would want more. Let us be able to rally behind Brittana, Klain, SamCedes, and Tike for awhile, give our hearts a break and stop the Finchel madness. Give others in the GLEE cast storylines that do not revolve around wanting to be a Rachel look alike to get attention or false friendships just so they can get camera time.

Comment by ANN – September 2, 2012 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you Ann.

Comment by Kay – September 3, 2012 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree on the Samcedes thing although I don’t really care much about it. You also forgot to mention Tike, and I think Santana got a lot of screen time and songs last season. It was Brittany who didn’t get any of that, really, but I’m ok with that.

Comment by Adriana – September 4, 2012 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry! You did mention Tike! I’m obviously not reading properly due to tiredness or something. lol

Comment by Adriana – September 4, 2012 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PLEASE EXCUSE ALL THESE FINCHEL STANS / FINN STANS
    FINCHEL NEEDS TO END AND THANK GOD IT IS.

Comment by GOD – September 9, 2012 04:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh wait thats me haha . Thats it as I am GOD FINCHEL WILL END.

Comment by GOD – September 9, 2012 04:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just could not go away your website prior to suggesting that I actually enjoyed the standard info an individual
    supply for your guests? Is gonna be again regularly in order to investigate cross-check new
    posts

Comment by Luxury Spa Breaks – September 18, 2012 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So Rachel and Finn simply belong together makes a great end to them and everything is ok, if not one would have the 3 staffel can spar with them yes totally. Is ok with the rachel brody maybe someone new will otherwise it would sooner or later become boring for others but not for me.
    For me, rachel and finn simply the best in the series, they fit together well, and their duets are great too and they were always fun on it.
    If not 2 come together that would be really really not just for me but for many others sad I guess ^ ^.
    Would indeed be cool if finn somehow the Nyada comes and then just so a triangular relationship where rachel but at the end of finn and 2 decides together because broadway rock with their classes duets and in the end get married or irgenwas else does not matter the main thing Finnchel come together and kiregen a happy ending but please do not always go a mega and rule as in other series ^ ^

Comment by lisa – September 21, 2012 05:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finn needs to stay with Rachel

Comment by Sarah – October 1, 2012 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that Finn should and needs to stay with Rachel!

Comment by Sarah – October 1, 2012 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will continue to watch Glee as long as there are still good storylines for Finn and Rachel but if they don’t end up getting back together….Glee is over for me…I adore them being together which is my whole reason for watching the show. Brody is okay…for someone else…leaves a bad taste in my mouth for Rachel.
    So glad that Cory and Lea are still going strong in real life :) Cutest couple since Jennie and Peter.

Comment by Jillian – October 7, 2012 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • finn and rachel must stay together..please they made a beautiful couple. despite having to be changes to the series is always interesting.I think Rachel and Finn should be together after what passed.

Comment by Soraia – October 15, 2012 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finchel for life I understand if you have to have them go with other people because then they see how much they love each other but not for good because finchel is the reason I started watching this show I love them way to much for it to be over I mean you can tell there in love with each other the way they like look at each other on and off camera finchel is forever and in the end they will be with each other I like Brody just not for Rachel and the other girl will probably be okay to just not for finn they love each other and nothing ever keeps them away from each other long so please write them a happy ending together:)FINCHEL FOREVER<3

Comment by Emily – November 20, 2012 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can see what Murphy is doing by introducing new characters so that Glee can continue but if Rachel and Finn do not reunite within the next few episodes, I’m not watching it anymore. I have to admit Brody is a good looking guy but a pig at the same time. How can you sleep with someone else and like another girl at the same time? That’s just disgusting and I hope Rachel sees that. I didn’t understand why Rachel called Brody after her watching herself with Finn during Glease. That should have told her where her heart lies. I hated it when they confronted each other and said that they should never talk again…are you kidding me? Bad move Murphy…it actually enraged me.
    I would love it even more if Finn and Rachel would get back together and married by the end of season 4!!!! Finchel forever!!!

Comment by Jillian – November 25, 2012 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • IF FINN AND RACHEL DO NOT END UP TOGETHER I CAN SAY YOU LOST A VIEWER!!!!!!!!!
    ME!

Comment by tori – December 5, 2012 10:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finchel they need to be together there’s way too many changes I don’t like season 4!!!!

Comment by Kimberly – December 7, 2012 10:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let’s all be honest, Quinn and Finn need to get back together.

Comment by You Know This – December 14, 2012 12:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finn only with Rachel!!! Rachel and Brody: ouch!

Comment by Maria Lígia – December 18, 2012 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Rachel and Finn to be together!!!

Comment by Amber – December 20, 2012 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know what’s up with all this comments but I agree with no-one. All characters should die (not literally of course) and the new kids should become the new glee club with their own storylines & corresponding drama.

I feel Glee today has WAAAY TOO MANY characters. Am I alone here? In any case they should just show Rachel (& her roomie) and get rid of the other original cast members or heavily reduce their scenes (only because she’s supposed to be the protagonist or something)

Comment by Serious Person – January 2, 2013 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please, Rachel and Finn MUST be together!!!!!!!! PLEEEASEEE

Comment by Tyna – January 9, 2013 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that Finn and Rachel should get back together as they suited each other well

Comment by Derryn Thomas – January 15, 2013 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is anyone else totally creeped out by Becky? It’s getting harder and harder to enjoy this show.

Comment by RalphieRalph – February 5, 2013 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i think finn and rachel should be together again soon because she always pushes finn to be his best and not to give up

Comment by abby mckissick – June 10, 2013 06:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • according to me Finn and Rachel are over exaggerated.. they don’t suit one each other, they are too similar.. try looking at them again.. i would much rather prefer seeing Rachel end up with Puck and see where they go.. giving them such a short screen time wasn’t fair it might’ve given a better side to Puckleberry as a couple. plus if we take the limelight off Finn and Rachel equation we’ll see that Puck as always been there for Rachel. she too is inclined to Puck. Just doesn’t have a reason yet to be with him. i just hope that Puckleberry can end up together they do make a good pair and are an interesting couple..

Comment by shhh – July 3, 2013 04:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post