Exclusive

Exclusive: Glee Exec Promises New Romance For Finn, Touts a Not-That-Innocent Rachel

Glee isn’t just rebooting itself in Season 4, it’s rebooting its leading lady, too!

“Rachel’s not innocent anymore,” previews executive producer Brad Falchuk of Lea Michele’s college freshman. “It’s nice to write her a little stronger.”

Helping to bring Rachel out of her shell will be her determined new suitor Brody (played by Dean Geyer). “She’s now not coming from a place when she met Finn, where she was like this totally insecure, annoying little girl,” he says. “Now she’s a woman and she’s been through a lot and she’s achieved a lot. So she approaches boys differently, with a different kind of confidence and a different kind of maturity. There’s not as much, ‘Don’t mention sex.'”

RELATED | Kurt and Blaine’s First (and Second) Obstacle Revealed

Regarding the new guy her in life, Falchuk notes that he’s “so different” from Finn. “He has the same kind of kindness and sweetness, but he’s a very different kind of person,” he says. “It’s great to write Rachel with somebody different.”

Where does all this leave ‘Finchel,’ who ended the season essentially broken up? The EP says the split “will stick” — for now at least. “I want Rachel and Finn to have a happy ending,” he insists. “I think the idea is that maybe they end up together, but a lot can change. As we write we might discover something interesting. It’s definitely not going to get better anytime soon for those two.”

RELATED | Good News, Bad News For Will/Emma Fans

In the meantime, Rachel has Brody, and Finn has…. ? “Undetermined at this point,” says Falchuk. “But he will have someone. He will definitely have someone.”

Thoughts? Are you in favor of the, ahem, new directions Glee is sending Rachel and Finn? And who would you like to see Finn paired with? Hit the comments!

1. Bob says:

This is rich another person telling me the audience what great chemistry ryan murphys new boy toy has I am just one viewer and my opinon means nothing but one person can make a stand I will not be watching any of the new york storyline.

2. Anne B. says:

Finchel fans are frankly tired of these breakups and makeups. They’ve had to sit through all the angst for three long seasons. Their last Goodbye breakup hit us in a very emotional place and I still haven’t recovered. Well I give up, I think it’s my defense mechanism working overtime. Glee, you’ve finally driven away your most faithful fan. You’ve lost me as a Glee viewer. I’ll still support Lea Michele and Cory Monteith in their respective careers though. They’re talented, wonderful actors and I wish the very best for both of them in their future.

3. so long and farewell Glee says:

I will look forward to Cory and his movie career, and hope he is happy, but Glee has also lost me as a fan. I don’t care how they try and do it. there is a point when enough is enough and this one time Finn/Rachel fan has had enough. just….Done. I am sick and tired of it already over the last 3 seasons, with no Finn in the first few episodes I was already not planning on watching but if this is how they plan on “rebooting” the show they can do it without me.

4. j says:

Finchel ftw!!

5. enoughisenough says:

Glee really knows how to make thier own show insufferable. well not this time RIB I put myself through this too many tiimes to do it again. I’ve had it. I’ll be excited for Cory and Lea if they have other projets outside of Glee I can not wait for Cory’s new movie. but I will no longer be a viewer of Glee. people can only be toyed with and baited and slapped in the face so many times before they just give up. this is it. i’m done. Thanks Keck, you’ve managed to kill my week.

6. Ann says:

Gee Brad I thought this season wasn’t about relationships? But Rachel’s hooking up with Brody and Finn will have someone new and there will be plenty of Finchel angst. Oh, my bad, I guess the only relationships that won’t get focus are Brittana and Klaine – the queer couples!
    Brad Falchuk, your views on women and sex are offensive and disgusting. Shut up, for the betterment of humanity.

• Caro says:

Ann, have you missed the last few Glee articles? They are all about Klaine! And since Klaine is one of the Glee’s favorite couples they will be getting plenty of air time though it seems they will be experiencing some angst since Kurt is leaving Lima to move to NYC while Blaine remains at McKinley. And how could you accuse Glee of ignoring the gay couples? Glee has done so much with Brittana and Klaine that I’ve often thought the show could be called “The Ryan Murphy Gay Rights Hour” so I think your comment is out of line. Also, Brittany is still in high school and given her grades she could be there forever while Santana is off to college so how likely is it that these two will stay together? Nothing in this article was offensive to women or even referenced sex so I don’t know what you are complaining about.

• Ann says:

Hahaha are you serious? They’re separating Klaine and Brittana and won’t give them new LIs so no gay PDA yay! Easy fix, and it saves room for Finchel make outs and Brochel lap grinding – all the heterosexual characters are being thrown into relationships and “sexed up”. Even season 3 – Klaine didn’t have a conversation for TEN EPISODES. Brittana were even worse off, although they’re allowed to touch and kiss a bit more. I’m not surprised a Finchel fan can’t see past them making out every five seconds to remember that Kurt and Blaine haven’t kissed in 17 episodes! Kurt is being treated like Rachel’s little pet gay and Blaine will continue to sing songs that aren’t about him.
        Glee has done the bare minimum for Brittana and Klaine – they exist; hooray! They haven’t treated these characters and couples equally to that of the straight couples, which is absolutely ridiculous considering Brittana and Klaine are way, way more popular than Finchel AND Klaine is one of the few things that receives praise on this show at this point (when they bother to write for them. Finchel had a season-long arc with attention paid to their stories every episode. Klaine had TWO episodes about their relationship and even when they almost broke up, they didn’t kiss when they made up. Finn and Rachel make out over anything and everything. It’s obnoxious. Brittana kissed three times this season – Finchel have kissed more in a single episode than Brittana and Klaine have combined PERIOD.
        YOUR comment is out of line. Stop telling people to be grateful that queer characters EXIST and to stop complaining that they aren’t treated equally. It reeks of privilege.
        The article is offensive to women because obviously Falchuk thinks Finn the straight white hero is the greatest thing ever (being a straight white man himself I’m not surprised) whereas Rachel is a whiny, insecure girl. He has the audacity to say they’re going to make her “stronger” now when HE as one of the main writers was responsible for taking a truly strong character and completely destroying her to have her learn the lesson that she needs to put her man before her dreams and called that growth.
        Of course the article referenced sex – Rachel’s getting sexier (oh right – Glee’s only getting sexier for our hetereosexual characters; I wonder if Kurt and Blaine will hug at some point)! Which is totally the same thing as mature! And shame on her for ever having her own firm boundaries about sex; what a prude! – Prude shaming is gross and offensive to women.
        Stop talking because you are clearly incredibly ignorant.

• Kay says:

I agree with everything you said about Kurt and Blaine and how they are being treated. Their relationship is just as important as any of the others, but yet they are not allowed to show any kind of intimacy at all. Hopefully in Season 4 with all of this drama that they will experience, I’m hoping that they will be allowed to show how they really feel about each other (if they survive a possible break-up – which I am hoping is only temporary and not permanent). But the writers have to do their part by giving them the chance to do this. We will see how this all plays out.

7. Caro says:

I only watch Glee for Finchel so I am disappointed by this article. I guess I can see Rachel meeting someone new and exploring a relationship because she is in college and that is what you do in college. I have zero interest in seeing Finn with someone else though so if they pair him with another girl I will be using my DVR’s fast forward option.

I don’t think it makes sense for Finn to be with someone else. He committed to Rachel and then dumped her with no discussion or consideration for her feelings; yes, he did it for the “right reasons” but he should be conflicted about it, he should experience some suffering over it. Rachel has dealt with Finn going back to Quinn, being used by Jesse and then being dumped by Finn so it would be surprising if she wasn’t looking for a little validation with a new relationship.

8. maxx says:

Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we want Finchel, plssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. sickofglee says:

sexualizing up Rachel doesn’t mean maturity

10. catalina says:

Why does finchel always have to break up??? I hope they will end back together at the end!!! <3

11. Vanessa says:

And Finchel fans around the world cried.

12. Emilia says:

I can’t imagine Finn and Rachel without each other! Finchell is unbreakable!

13. I don’t think it would be good for the show – at all. Finn was a douche for a lot of season 3 and then finally redeemed himself when he let her go despite the fact that Rachel was willing to stay in Lima for an extra year.

14. Catherine says:

I want Finn and Rachel love!!!

15. Jessie says:

Can’t other characters be in the spotlight ? Rachel Berry this , Rachel Berry that . I mean , I know she’s important to the show , but it’s more like “Rachel’s Problems and Dreams” than “Glee” . That’s my opinion .

16. Annie says:

I want Rachel and Finn to have a happy ending, but I hope different love interests and that they will be close friends

17. Lena says:

I’m glad with this direction. I love the character of Rachel and I’m happy to see that she’ll be coming out of her shell. I’m not a ‘Finchel’ hater in any way, but it is pretty unrealistic for big-city-dreams-girl to end up with her high school sweetheart. I hope both characters are happy but mostly i want Rachel to be as successful as possible.

18. Lisa says:

As far as I am concerned its too soon for these two to move on so fast. I mean they were engaged and everything, to move them on to new love interests this soon and in this way is disrespectful to the couple and its fan following.

19. Pam says:

Wow, I just stumbled upon this interview and what a deal breaker for me with this show. I was looking forward to Finn and Rachel’s journey back to each other after that wonderful train scene, but never thought the writers would throw them with other people. They almost got married and the writers have told us time and again they are “tethered” and each others “homes” and “heroes”. I don’t buy this and won’t tune in to the trainwreck. Sorry Glee you losses another viewer.

20. AnOfficialGleek says:

I just want to see Finn happy. If this new love interest does that, I’m all for it. Cory deserves a storyline bigger than constantly chasing after Rachel. He has some serious skills and if handed a good SL, would give ud dome flawless scenes. My one question is why do people think Finn has been such a bad boyfriend to Rachel?

21. elena says:

NOOO! They can’t do this to us AGAIN. :( i love finchel! Right from the very first episode of the show everyone knew they were meant to be together and then they get together, break up, get together, break up. And then they were going to get freaking married and finn decides to “let her go” because he loves her and now he has a new love interest. wth?! i feel like rachel would always go back to finn but idk about finn… Ugh. I dont know whats going to happen to them but they better end up together.

22. Amy says:

No Finchel? Great, maybe now I’ll be able to watch Glee without being annoyed with this awful couple all the time.

23. Eileen says:

Wow at this article! :o. I appreciate it though because I dont want to go through another S2 and it seems like they are headed that way. I watch now for Lea and Cory and I have loved Finn and Rachel since the beginning, but as others have said I have had enough. I was heartbroken over that last scene in S3, but thought it will be wonderful to see them reconnect this season. Other love interests to me make zero sense and if that’s the way the show is headed I don’t care to watch. I will continue to follow Lea and Cory’s career outside of Glee and wish then much happiness together. Sorry Glee I’m gone!

24. Camila says:

No, plis! that Rachel and Finn! Stay together! I love that story of love! I cried at the end of season 3, when Finn short with her! :(

25. Kimberly says:

Nobody reads the bottom of the page, but I’m gonna put my two cents in anyway. Finn should be seduced by an older woman. Not OLD, just older, wiser, hot and sassy. I’m not saying he’ll fall for her right away, but she’ll want him, and he’ll be intrigued by her. He’s in the military now, and he could do a whole Top Gun thing or something. That’s what I think will work best for Finn’s rebound and still leave him wanting his young, first love Rachel eventually later.

26. Michelle C. says:

It would be OK for Finn not to have a love interest. He is still going into the army right? So he won’t be around other girls for months. Not during training, and not until he is stationed somewhere, then he might find someone.

27. Amy Sizemore says:

i dont really like finchel i know they been through aot but the cheating ( him and her) lieing the offhanded remarks in season one reachel was strong and confident but through not being enough for her mother jesse or finn i think she atleast deserves to be someones number one and i just LOVE puckleberry she was always there for him and vice versa

28. Spanky says:

This is so making Glee a turn off for me. I have been excitedly waiting to see how the writers would tie New York in with M.H.S.

Not to mention all the time we Gleeks have invested in seeing this couple being torn apart and then put back together. Finchel is one of the biggest reasons people watched Glee. We got to see a couple that was determined to be together no matter what the obsticles were. Now this crap of splitting them…perhaps permanently?!?! *hiss*

I can honestly say I am disappointed. Not sure I will watch it now…..how sad. I WAS a huge Glee fan…..

29. nanni says:

I’m sorry but if this is how the “new Glee” is going to be, I’m out. I wanted to see Finn and Rachel work to get back together. not other with people after 3 seasons. it’s really time to say goodbye. Sorry Glee. Call me when you get them back together and maybe we’ll talk. Grey’s is on at the same time, right? there we go.

• jorisa magpayo says:

I agree with you. But let’s just wait for the upcoming season . Maybe the production will do something about the story line that may lead to the “getting back of Finchel” . :)

30. jorisa magpayo says:

hmm… So sad that in the season 4 of glee Finn and Rachel will no longer be together. I’m a fan of FINCHEL. But anyway I liked the idea that Rachel will have a new love interest. And hoping that Finn also be paired with somebody. Just what I really want is that in the end. IT’S STILL FINCHEL <3

31. Nicole Hudson says:

I am so excited to see Rachel and Brody together but I was hoping for more of a friendship while Finn and Rachel try the long distance thing. As for a new live interest for Finn hell no! As much as I love Cory I only like Finn when he’s with Rachel he sucks when he’s by himself or with other girls ( Quinn and Santana) so hopefully it’s a short lived thing. Either way I’m not going to get too upset until the season, Ryan and brad tend to not always follow through with their plans

32. Rini says:

Can someone please send all my love and hugs to Brad Falchuck for this. Finn and Rachel being in an indefinite split is the best Glee news I’ve had in a very very long time =D. They’re so much better when they’re apart, or when they’re with other people… Finchel is so tired by this point, it will be nice to see the show go in a different direction. I’m really looking forward to seeing Rachel and Brody interact, though I hope that there is more to Rachel’s storyline than romance… Let’s see her get back the strong, confident, kick ass girl we know was hidden under Finchel induced insecurities and moping.
    As for Finn I really hope they have him struggling to adjust to military life, but finding ultimately that it suits him and knocks him out of his S3 douchebag phase and helps him grow up and become the man I know he wants to be =).

All in all, so far this series looks set to actually allow me to like these characters again, and that’s awesome news. So yeah, all my love Brad. Keep it up!

33. Lauren says:

I think Finn should just be paired up with me. I will treat him right ;) haha

34. The sweet 1 says:

I want finn to end up with a new student and have a wild time

35. Dwight Schrute says:

Rachel falling for someone new is completely plausible. With the exception of Kurt, she has made out with, or attempted to make out with every male singing partner she’s had. Finn, check. Puck, check. Jesse, check. Blaine, check. Mr. Shue, went after but didn’t get

• llyod says:

And yet Rachel is considered the loser and Rachel fans whine and moan about her not getting treated right in every article.

36. Marena says:

Glee drama is always very entertaining to watch, but Finchel is a HUGE part of Glee. I’d like them to end up together at the end.

37. Gleek says:

Okay so this is my theory!! Finn was constantly pingponging backwards and forwards between Quinn and Rachel and it never seemed like he actually knew what he wanted. I think he’s going to be hurt be how quickly Rachel bounces back and hooks up with Brody that he goes and runs after Quinn again…although I don’t see her agreeing to it. Idk…I still sniff something Fabrevansish coming up…Remember that little “I’m going to marry you one day” ring? Yeahhhh, Well I don’t think the writers just threw that little plotline out there for nothing to never come back to it. They made it seem small and insignificant, but I think it will be like an Ohhhhhhh yeahhh I remember that now type of thing moment when he brings it up. When Sam comes back after Quinn and relights the whole I’m gonna marry you thing (that whole Samcedes thing was a load of unrealistic bullS*** in my opinion) and yeahhh then I see a Finn/Quinn/Sam love triangle. While Rachel is getting it on with Brody…but eventually Finn and Rachel are both going to realize that they have made a mistake and they were meant for one another, they each dump their respective partners like a hot potato and run back to each other in passionate embraces and eventually get married like it initially would’ve happened…..typical tv show/movie cliche……..

38. Stephanie says:

Rachel and Finn belong together cannot see it any other way

39. aly says:

i kinda like the fact that they break up cuz now i’m bored of them together but i have a feeling that they are getting bck together and by that i’ll be begging at the tv to get them together again !!!

40. Jennifer says:

So, aside from all of the relationships and love triangles and drama in the show…does anyone actually watch it for the musical aspect of the show?

41. Tammy says:

Well this just sucks finchel was the best why would the writers break them up are they stupid yes she was going to new york they could have gotten married and went there together. And they are writing a new man for Rachel OMFG are you in to distriy theses caricters and have people stop watching your show

42. Kristen says:

I think its good that Rachel gets a new guy not everyone after a break up stays single and well for Finn too to get a girl to will be good for him to try new options for both of them of they end up together after all that then it might show there is still hope for those who go thru the same thing

43. KK says:

I can believe Rachel getting a new love interest in this Brody character. She’s hurt, she doesn’t know where she stands with Finn, mentor in a new city, etc. She was the one who said (or didn’t deny when asked) that she wasn’t 100% sure about Finn.

Finn getting a new love interest though? NO. Deal breaker for me. You can’t tell me that the man we saw in the car scene who was 100% sure about his love for Rachel and wanting to marry her would be moving on and dating someone else. IF he was in a place in his life (found his dream, honored his dad, etc) that he thought he could love or be with someone again, there is NO doubt in my mind he would reach out to Rachel (even a long distance relationship!). Why would he choose someone new? No. It’s unrealistic and I for one won’t watch that. The writers don’t seem to see that they are negating EVERYTHING they wrote last season. They had to convince me that this was true love. That their impending marriage was serious and they were serious. They worked through their problems together before I could believe it (Saturday Night Fever)… and it finally worked with me. And now this? No thanks.

I think Glee is already on a slippery slope.. Quinn fans, Puck fans, Mercedes fans are already wanting to tune out because their favorites are only going to be on holiday specials (I guess 2-3 eps at most)… Klaine fans already want to jump ship if the rumors of a breakup for them in episode 4 are true.. Brittany and Santana are separated by big distance so may have low scenes together…

Like it or not, Glee HAS become about relationships and the viewers who stick around are the ones who want to see their favorite couple together, myself included. I’m honest enough to admit I watch for Finchel scenes only. I’m not there to watch Blaine and his brother troubles. Or Rachel and her failed audition. Pissing off couple based fans is a sure fire way to lose viewers. These writers need to keep their mouths SHUT and let the stories play out, NOT piss off people before the season even starts!

• Bryn says:

I agree 100%. I watch for Klaine and Klaine only. I might could sit through a break up of Klaine if it was last year and I knew they would be in the same classroom, clubs, etc. Now that Kurt is in NYC? They will have even littler interactions than last season (saying a lot FYI) if they break up in different states.
      I’m not a huge Finchel fan (dislike Finn mostly) but I agree too. Finn showed real, mature, adult love for Rachel letting her go for her dream. I thought Brad talked about the path of them finding themselves back together through an adult love. That means jumping into bed with someone else? I’m not interested in that because I know they will get back together and drawing it out annoys me even more than they do.
      I admire Finchel fans (ahha I know right?) How much they put up with. If I was a Finchel fan, I’d be done too. 3 (possibly 4 if Rachel tells Finn to GTFO in ep 4) break ups in every season? At what point do you just say no more? I think the writers DO take the Finchel fans for granted because they have been there from the start. I think this season will be the last. It’s make it or break it time and the writers are breaking it before it starts, especially with only promoting their flashy guest stars and the new characters (that are apparently exact replicas of Rachel, Puck, Quinn, wtf give me the real ones!)
      I’m not jumping ship yet. I’m not ditching even if Klaine breaks up in ep 4 :*(… I’m giving it until Thanksgiving, after November sweeps. If I don’t like what I am seeing, I’m out.

• tay says:

” Klaine fans already want to jump ship if the rumors of a breakup for them in episode 4 are true” as klaine fan yes it’s true the majority of the glee fandom is formed by klainers shippers but we will continue to watch it anyway for having a sort of closure. and i wanted to say a thing..

A lot of fans keep forgetting that before klaine was made canon the fandom was full and it’s still filled with kurt and blaine stans as individuals. and than there’s the couple/ship as well for brittana they have santana stans. and so on. I mean i love kurt so i want a good storyline for him in the first place .. and if there’s klaine even better.

but as long these characters are in the show individually like kurt, blaine, quinn, santana and company people will continue to watch it. I know for a fact that many, many, people keep watching the show just because chris is still there (me included) or others keep watching the show for naya, or dianna..btw i’m gonna wait for the ep. i want a klaine happy ending but even is they broke up for a couple of ep i will be fine same goes for every other couple i guess

• BH says:

I was very disappointed when I read the comments from Brad. It just seems like with the NYC aspect of the show they are throwing out everything that happened in the previous season. I am a Finchel fan and mainly a Finn/Cory fan. And I never feel the character or actor gets the same amount of respect as other actors on the show. I don’t mind the addition of Brody as a friend/mentor for Rachel, but what I do mind is him as her new LI and her possible hopping into to the sack with him so quickly. Have we forgotten all of the statements Rachel made with regards to her love for Finn. And for Finn to find someone new. How unrealistic is that considering the car scene? What I would have like to see was them go to NY together, not the same schools but for Finn to be successful and Rachel have struggle at first. But I wanted them to work through things together. As they worked through problems in season 3. They could be very intersting and have interesting story lines as a couple who are young and struggling. Actually I think the writers really don’t know what to do. I don’t think Dean has not gotten the press and reaction they expected (they should ban him from twitter) and now they are using Lea as the PR person for this new relationship. Funny how the day the article came out she began mentioning him by name in her tweets. I will still watch season 4 and hope that all is well with the show that I have watched faithfully for three years.

44. Matt says:

Yeah. The end of Finchel. I’m thrilled that Rachel has someone new(and might I add very attractive) to have some fun with. I don’t know if her and Brody will necessarily last, but it will be interesting to see her with someone who just isn’t Finn, Jessie, or Puck.

45. Dev says:

All I know is that I love Glee, I always will. Keeping the original cast is going to be even better than what I expected the writers to do so whether it’s inconsistent or not I will be all hunky dory about it. :)

46. Quinn Fabray says:

Crossing my fingers for the Finn/chair romance I’ve always wanted them to make official. Even when Finn treats chair like crap, kicking him around whenever he goes off the handle, chair is ALWAYS there, waiting to take it, and it’s sweet, you know? Like chair just knows the only way Finn can handle his anger is by kicking him or by pooping in Rachel’s bathroom. Now that’s Rachel’s up and GONE, chair is all Finn has left. God I hope he has chair when he goes to the army… They need each other.

• Inigo says:

Finn kicks a chair once when told the child he thought was his wasn’t and you create this ship. I think I’ll ship Rachel/crack houses and Quinn/mental institutions.

47. Nanda says:

Praise the lord!! Maybe if we’re lucky f1nchel is done for good! I want Rachel to be with Quinn!!

48. Fran says:

Finchel is just the worst thing ever. I can’t believe Brad’s blatant sexist comments about Rachel. Wow, Brad… just put a sock on it.

49. IwantS1backGleek says:

wow I made the right choice! to stop watching this failing show! no wonder they need the Cory/Lea Promance (don´t get me wrong, they are so cute but no way that is real love) they know how they are sinking.

50. Emily says:

hmmm. yeah that would be good,Rachel finding a new man it would be good to see a new side of her she so annoying in seasons 1,2 and 3 it is deffinately and upside for her to be with someone else, but on the other hand it would be good to see Finn like flying to newyork and fighting for her and just being with her because they do make a good couple but I do see other peoples point about them taking a break :) can’t wait for season 4 x