Exclusive

Exclusive: Glee Exec Promises New Romance For Finn, Touts a Not-That-Innocent Rachel

Glee isn’t just rebooting itself in Season 4, it’s rebooting its leading lady, too!

“Rachel’s not innocent anymore,” previews executive producer Brad Falchuk of Lea Michele’s college freshman. “It’s nice to write her a little stronger.”

Helping to bring Rachel out of her shell will be her determined new suitor Brody (played by Dean Geyer). “She’s now not coming from a place when she met Finn, where she was like this totally insecure, annoying little girl,” he says. “Now she’s a woman and she’s been through a lot and she’s achieved a lot. So she approaches boys differently, with a different kind of confidence and a different kind of maturity. There’s not as much, ‘Don’t mention sex.'”

RELATED | Kurt and Blaine’s First (and Second) Obstacle Revealed

Regarding the new guy her in life, Falchuk notes that he’s “so different” from Finn. “He has the same kind of kindness and sweetness, but he’s a very different kind of person,” he says. “It’s great to write Rachel with somebody different.”

Where does all this leave ‘Finchel,’ who ended the season essentially broken up? The EP says the split “will stick” — for now at least. “I want Rachel and Finn to have a happy ending,” he insists. “I think the idea is that maybe they end up together, but a lot can change. As we write we might discover something interesting. It’s definitely not going to get better anytime soon for those two.”

RELATED | Good News, Bad News For Will/Emma Fans

In the meantime, Rachel has Brody, and Finn has…. ? “Undetermined at this point,” says Falchuk. “But he will have someone. He will definitely have someone.”

Thoughts? Are you in favor of the, ahem, new directions Glee is sending Rachel and Finn? And who would you like to see Finn paired with? Hit the comments!

1. May says:

I hope you guys, you know, explore her EMOTIONAL and mental growth and treat her with respect instead of just deciding new clothes and a more stable and likeable boyfriend will do it for you. Do your effing jobs for goodness sake.

2. erica says:

can i still just dream about jesse st. james returning? i mean, i get it. unpopular opinion but doesn’t ANYONE but me think the way he acted during nationals was adorable? and the fact that he’s never shown interest in anyone but rachel ever? baaahhh :(

3. Josie says:

I don’t understand why the writers keep going back to the same old tired storylines of breaking up Finchel and inserting third parties. I am sure they can think of more interesting ways to give Finn and Rachel their own storylines while still keeping them together. I am really not looking forward to this new season at all.

• Will says:

They can’t keep them together because all they do is fight when they’re together because the relationship doesn’t work, but if they break them up fans attack them.

• Me says:

Finn and Rachel were together the whole of season 3 without a huge fight. In fact they were happier than they had ever been. When they did fight, they managed to work through their differences and come back stronger because of it. I just don’t get how they can just negate everything they have built up for Finchel and do this all of a sudden.

• saw says:

Except every decision they made was for the wrong reason. They were scared and didn’t think they had anything except each other. Co-dependency 1010.

• Do you understand TV writing says:

LOL They fight because the writers give them stupid storylines to fight over. If the writers stop doing that and give them more relevant plots, they can be a happy couple. LOL

4. Brooke says:

So. Let me get this straight? No Quinn. No Puck. No Mercedes. No Mike. Except for Holiday specials and weddings (maybe 2-3 eps)… No Finn or Santana until episode 4? Rachel with a new love interest and Finn with a new girl? Possible Klaine break up? Okay. Then. Thanks for making my choice between Grey’s Anatomy and Glee an easy one. ADIOS GLEE. Have a great final season!

5. Anon says:

I want to know how they can go from that final Finchel scene in the finale to this. New love interests and Rachel being not so innocent. I mean what is going on? They are totally dissing the storyline they have set up for them the past 3 seasons. Sigh.

• deq says:

They broke up over 3 month ago and Rachel may not get with Brody right off the bat. Spoilers say they aren’t dating as of episode 4 which will be like 5 months after Finn decided they weren’t getting married. Why should she wait around.

6. what does it say about her character that she would have sex with the new guy she meets in NY but kept refuting the guy she supposedly loved for three years?

• lol you says:

Slut shaming. How charming.

• what else says:

INCONSISTENT.

• wow says:

Who said she was having sex with him right away? And a woman can have sex with who mover she wants. She was right to wait with Finn since he lied to her their whole relationship. Wow so wrong. It isn’t out of character for a healthy young woman to have sex. Rachel may have wanting to wait for the right moment but that doens’t mean she is an sexual being.

• who said it be right away? I’m sure it won’t be three years from now, though

• Inigo says:

Finn lied to Rachel their whole relationship? Wow, wow. Interesting take on events. You know what “whole” means, right? Presumably, since her dads were in on that last one, you think they’ve lied to her her whole life too.

• Ann says:

It says Rachel is free to sleep with whomever she wants and shouldn’t be shamed for it?

• It’s very interesting to me how many people have taken my statement as an attack on Rachel or an attempt to shame her for having sex when the intent was to point out that she would choose to have sex with the first guy she meets after breaking up with someone she claimed to love for three years. I was pointing out the emotional aspect of the act, not the moral aspect of the act. What does it say about the posters who focused on what wasn’t there?

7. Missy says:

Take that Rachel Berry!! I hope Finn gets a super sexy girlfriend–tall,blonde,sexy, even sexual. Oh god I can’t believe I’m saying this, but Finn deserves this, I mean Rachel is always getting the new love interests and Finn is always stuck with the mean girls.

8. joy says:

Cory is an amazing actor and I just would like a good storyline for him! but i also want Finchel together as soon as possible…

9. Everyone says:

All I really want is for Finn to have a meaningful storyline. Honestly, I want to see him doing his own thing rather than constantly indulging Rachel. Couldn’t care less about Rachel or Brody. Just give me Finn.

10. cmf says:

The way I see it, the more angst the show gets, the more chances the actors will get to show off their abilities, and seeing that Cory Monteith and Lea Michele are two of the strongest actors on Glee, it’s not surprising that Finchel will get the bulk of it. I’m not fond of the idea of more love triangles, but I am excited to see both of these actors blow us away with their performances.

• I want says:

If only the writers would give them a chance to really develop their characters instead of sticking them in dumb love conflicts with the next passably attractive actor who can say lines and sing. If only!!!!!!!

11. Daisy says:

I’m interested in Finn’s story and sad to see Finn and Rachel not together. Finn is one of the most relatable characters on the show, probably on any TV show at present so I’m hoping that they don’t neglect his overall story. I’m equally bummed that the car scene at the end of Season 3 is plain redundant now. There is no way that 2 people would have shared that and then gone on their merry way shortly after and met new people. I truly believe the writers haven’t a clue what they are doing. I shall catch up with the Finn scenes via tumblr but I definitely won’t be watching on TV.

12. Cam says:

I had to sit through a whole season of Finn getting his heart broken? No solo’s, no football scholership, no hero dad, no school and now he will have his heartbroken in season 4 all over again?!! uhmm why should I watch season 4? i’d much rather pretend every ep after Journey never happened. Cory Monteith is an amazing actor why not give him amazing scenes with equally good experienced actors and let him shine and be a main character like he once was. Not put him in some love triangle that has been done and redone on Glee. get creative!

• Em says:

All you Finchel fans are the absoute worst, my god. We has to endure them shoved down our throats every second, of every episode in season three. It’s about time they’re breaking them up for a while. Rachel is so much likeable without that giant on her arm. Now she can finally focus on her talent. And a guy that doesn’t have a gut.

• Brooke says:

You do realize this will be DOUBLE screen time for them now right? You’ll get Finn scenes, you’ll get Rachel scenes. You’ll get Finn and new girl scenes. You’ll get Rachel/Brody scenes. And you’ll get Rachel longing for Finn and vice versa scenes.

• Em says:

Don’t care. They were going to get screen time, regardless, to due the episodes being split up between NYC and Ohio. I’m just happy I get to see some duets and steamy scenes between Brody and Rachel for a while. I very much enjoyed their split in season two.

13. Chlo says:

Thank god. Now I might actually watch this season, besides the Quinn episodes I was going to tune in for.

14. Kiara says:

Can’t watch Glee without finchel, Rachel and Finn Are meant to be together…

15. kristina says:

I’m looking forward to the character development from both Rachel and Finn! Especially Finn, actually. I think Cory Monteith is incredibly underrated as an actor on the show and I’m looking forward to seeing him grow with the new storylines. We know finchel will find their way back to each other, the writers and Cory and Lea themselves like it, but they’re actually going to treat them like a realistic couple here–both have to grow up individually and achieve goals before they’re together again. I for one am excited for the new season!

16. Rory says:

Okay, but can Kurt get another LI now?

• fan says:

Do you want the wrath of a thousand Klaine/Darren Criss fangirls to fall on you? lol

• elo says:

Only if Blaine gets a LI too.

• tay says:

i was saying that i find the idea of kurt+hot guy more appealing than blaine+someone else. anyway neither of them will get a bf probably (always if, maybe we’ll never get this) a simple firt turned down by them lol. but seriously ncy it’s full of guys waiting for kurt haha. though i love klaine so i’m fine with a break up as long there’s no cheating.

17. Jenny says:

Finn/Rachel are the Ross/Rachel of Glee. They will be together then apart then together and so on. They won’t completely be together until the very end of the show. As a fan of Finn I would much rather have him apart from Rachel for a while.

• Amy says:

lol I’m glad to see that tag line “the ross and rachel of glee” worked on someone. It’s hilarious they have to constantly compare them to past tv couples because it’s easier to tell you they’re just like so and so and try to transfer whatever you feel for those other couples than doing the work and writing the relationship as a relationship to root for.

• gleek says:

You should be ashamed. Ross and Rachel were and still are the best couple on TV. Finn and Rachel are an embarrassment to teen relationships,let alone tv couples. Finn should be with someone else, not Rachel. Cory’s character should develop and without Rachel by Finn’s side.

• Jenny says:

I think you misunderstood some of what I was saying. They are like Ross/Rachel because they are never truly over. Ross/Rachel got together in season two and broke up mid season three. Then for the rest of the run we dealt with them getting back together then coming apart. It wasn’t until the very last episode were they finally together. That is what I meant Finchel were lie Ross/Rachel. You just can’t have happy couples on tv because they get boring. I got so bored with Finchel constantly making out last season I was actually happy they broke up in the end. I also am glad Finn is going to be on his own.

18. Humbly Opinioning says:

Honestly, I’m glad Finchel is getting some break time. I don’t like them together at all, they seem to bring out the worst in each other. I like the idea of them splitting up and moving on to more compatible fits, this is not me hating either character (although I’m not so much a Finn fan, he was my favorite in the beginning and then he kind of devolved after that D:) I just want them to learn how to be in a relationship with people who aren’t each other. I’m not completely adverse to seeing them get back together after growing up a little bit and coming into their own. But they both desperately need to learn some independence, especially Rachel.

And for those up above saying that Quinn was an awful girlfriend? Try to cast your mind back past the inconsistent plot lines and remember that she was never given any role model to be one, in fact it can be speculated that she was raised in a very unfriendly home. And she was also dealing with a likely case of postpartum depression after giving up her baby, her parent’s divorce and the fact that none of her boyfriends, friends or teacher’s pay attention enough to help her at all. Teenage pregnancy is more damaging than the show makes it out to be. She probably also knew that Finn loved Rachel more than her when they were together, which is a massive ego boost for her-.-

And to those who are complaining about the queer couples- really? its not about straight vs gay couples or which one gets sadder or happier story plots. Each couple is different, regardless if their in the hetero category or the homo category, and their going to get individual plot lines which may be happier or sadder based on their individual experiences and personalities. Not to mention Finchel has had 3 full seasons of angsty drama-y relationshipping and break ups, where some couples such as Brittana have really only come on to the canon scene for like, a season and a bit, most of which they don’t get screen time for (or properly written story plots-.-).

YOU KNOW WHAT I SAY. I SAY WE NEED MORE TIKE.

I LIKE TIKE.

… okay I’m doing ranting now sorry D:

• Chlo says:

Peach. People really do have selective memory when it comes to ‘Quinn’ being an awful girlfriend. I can’t count how many times Finn emotionally cheated on her Rachel. And we all remember the kisses he shared with Rachel in the beginning of season one. Tired of people painting him as the martyr.

• Felicia says:

AMEN! He even dumped her at a funeral who does that?! Don’t get me wrong I know Quinn didn’t love him but he didn’t even really like her when he stole her from Sam he doesn’t get a free pass just because he’s a nice guy.

• kristina says:

Are you forgetting that Quinn was the one who kissed Finn first? She cheated on Sam to kiss Finn because he was big man on campus again and if there’s anything Quinn wants it’s fame and popularity. Finn broke up with her at the funeral because he realized he could never love her the way he should. They weren’t “tethered.” Finn is the only one that has ALWAYS apologized and try to make right of his mistakes, something that cannot be said about most of the other characters.

• Trish says:

I didn’t say that Quinn was in the right but Finn shouldnt get a free pass. Still a jerk move to break up with anyone at a funeral no matter who it is.

• Chlo says:

Oh please. It was just as much as Finn fault. They were both in the wrong. He pursued her KNOWING she was with Sam. And he should always be apologizing, because be sure loved to jump to conclusions in season two (see: Rumors episode).

• red says:

So he was supposed to keep leading her on for a nother few days? a week? a month? and then break up with her. No matter the timing, he was the one to grow up and say that what they had wasn’t working. Finn was the one that had helped organize that funeral in the first place. He and Kurt wanted to do the right thing for Sue’s sister. Quinn had nothing to do with it, we don’t even know if she had ever met her.

• laurel says:

It takes two to cheat, Finn encouraged her to cheat on Sam with him. He supposedly knows the hurt and emotional pain caused by cheating and yet he encouraged Quinn to cheat on Sam, what a great friend. Surprise, surprise he didn’t apologize to Sam for breaking up his relationship with Quinn Also lol “tether” Rachel had been begging him to get back together with him for most of season two and yet when Jesse shows up in the prom episode before funeral and shows an interest in Rachel that’s what makes him decide he wants to get back together with her. Then he ignores her want to have no distractions at nationals and continues to pester her about getting back together for the entire episode when she said she wanted to focus on the competition and when she refuses him he kisses her on stage and then no explanation they’re back together. Finn rarely apologizes and never is in the wrong (the show writes him this way), I’m sure the majority of characters on the show have apologized and done more to right their wrongs than finn.

• Katie says:

Basically we can agree that the inconsistent writing of characters hasn’t helped anything :)

• Chlo says:

Exactly! Not saying Quinn is innocent, girl is far from it. I’m just sick and tired of her always taking the heat for their dysfunctional relationship. Honestly, I’ve been through him ever since the prom episode. The way he came across as the hero and the perfect boyfriend to everyone. Like, who cares if he tried to tip a girl out of her wheelchair! Quinn is a BEEP. Ugh.

• smith says:

Well maybe because Quinn was actually a bitch. Like she pretended to still not be able to walk at all to GET VOTES FOR PROM QUEEN. Yeah, Finn may have overreacted when he was trying to get her out of the chair but can you honestly blame him? He had left his own girlfriend because Quinn kept asking him to be her date. She was making herself seem like this incapable victim so that he would stay and run with her so that she could win the crown. She was just lying to everyone for her own selfish gain. You’re the delusional one here if you can’t see that. Finn looked like the hero perfect boyfriend because that’s what he ended up being.

• Katie says:

True Finn does usually get away with some things. I HATED how it looked like he was going to dump Quinn out of her chair because LBR she would of hit the ground hard. Yes she could stand but if he had just listened to her he would of found out that she couldn’t stand for long on her own yet.

• Katie says:

Smith Quinn couldn’t walk yet! She could stand but she wasn’t strong enough to walk and yes she was getting sympthy votes BUT Finn shouldn’t of tried to toss her out of her wheelchair unless he knew for sure that she was better he acted before he thought.

• Sil says:

Finn was folly to her deceit in season 1. Made him work for the money to pay her bills. Called him names and more. She lied to him again in the prom episode. He is not very trusting of her, thusly, making a rash judgement on her full ability to stand. He was angry at himself to have chosen Q over his own girlfriend. After all, he practically told Rachel she was selfish to be angry for his agreeing to campaign with Q. His guilt made him over-react. If I were him, I would never have agreed to anything with Q. I would feel the same way if I’d been treated the same as he was by her. Furthermore, Quinn only felt to giving Rachel the prom queen votes, after hearing Rachel’s plea for Q to understand why Q meanst so much to her. Otherwise, Q would have dismissed her as always. Quinn’s need for attention and her ultimate prize the crown did not feel as fullfilling as she thought it would. Finn realized that his feelings of friendship toward Quinn were taken advantage of again.

• Glee writers are dumb says:

She was awful to him. Some people are so ready to get out every excuse for characters like Quinn but have a fit when Finn fans try to defend him. Let’s face it. All the characters on Glee have done awful things to each other and that goes for Finn, Rachel, Quinn, Puck, Kurt, Blaine, Santana and others. And no one can refute that.

• Adam says:

Both were terrible to each other, just an awful awful couple but I just hate it when Quinn gets all the grief granted she did most of the awful things. But Finn did encourage her to cheat, knowing he still loved Rachel and yea he probably shouldn’t of tried to toss her from a wheelchair (you just don’t do that no matter what) its best that they stay far away from each other.

• see says:

Well, Quinn shouldn’t have lied to him about not being able to work and beg him to run for Prom Royalty with her in the first place. Finn agreed because he felt guilty for her.

• see says:

* not being able to walk. He saw her standing up…

• Adam says:

See. He saw her standing WE the viewers saw her standing at the beginning of the episode but we also saw her FALL DOWN she was not strong enough to actually dance, walk on stage or handle being tossed out of a chair and if Finn had of actually just listened to her he would of realized that. Yes she was wrong to use it for votes that’s obvious but tossing her out of her chair doesn’t make a right.

• Inigo says:

Quinn passed off another boy’s child as his. A girlfriend doesn’t get worse than that. Glee’s mis-step was having Finn forgive/forget that for no good reason.

• sky says:

Yes to all. Quinn just used him because he was better guy to use. Yes, the writers putting Finn and Quinn back as a couple was the worst thing ever. Forgive and forget WHY? Season 2 was full of contradictions and out of character decisions by some of the characters. The worst of everything written was the Lucy Caboosey stuff trying to make us feel for Quinn. Gosh, that just made me have less feelings for her. But I have to admit that Quinn’s character is the one and only that has to face every inconceivable bad thing to ever happen to a teenage girl.

19. Gary says:

Only watching Glee for Cory. As long as he gets to have good scenes and storylines I am good. Don’t care for Glee to become the rachel berry show…

• Catherine says:

PREACH. Me too. Cory Monteith is the only reason I’m still watching this show and putting up with this awful fandom. The things I do for you, CORY.

20. Nic says:

Finn and Rachel both finding new loves after the amazing scene in Goodbye will make it really hard for me to root for them. I can understand Rachel being confused, but Finn’s journey seems to be to get his head straight and find his dream, not a new lover. Cory and Lea both killed that scene. I hoped to see many more scenes between Cory and Lea (and hopefully Chris), but this isn’t looking positive. No longer looking forward to season 4.

21. Glee lost a viewer says:

now I feel as though I’ve wasted three seasons, for nothing. Sorry Brad and Glee, I won’t be wathing this. Grey’s is on Thursdays, I’ll take myself over there. No wonder Cory has been saying he’s interested in making more real movies and better parts. Glee truly sucks right now.

22. Everyone says:

This is bull. Do RIB not know how to write at all? How do you do this when they were JUST ENGAGED. Jesus Christ. Be a little more realistic! Have more continuity. How would she just forget about Finn after the sweet sacrifice he made for her in the finale to go live out her dreams, on her own, NOT WITH ANOTHER DUDE, and sleep with him too. What the. Bye Glee. Good riddance. You’re so messed up.

• Sil says:

That and that again. Why have Rachel be involved to the point of sex with someone else. Especially, after all the great talk Finn and Rachel had in the Goodbye finale and all the soul bonding of season 3. All of the build up of Finn and Rachel over the last 3 seasons all for throwing a complete union of soulmates away is ludicrous. Falchuk has to be saying this smack to keep us and all of us fans wondering. Personally, I think they are still trying to lay out their plan for the first few episodes. Much less this talk and I mean talk about the so-called end of Finchel is just talk to keep people like us venting. But for me, I’m totally uninterested in either Finn or Rachel seeing other people. The stories up to now, would be anticlimatic. A waste of breathe.

23. Julie says:

I look forward to NY Rachel. I hope they make her the strong, independent girl she was in the beginning, her drive tempered by having learned how to have interpersonal relationships. Lea Michele’s acting is underrated — she is very compelling to watch. I hope Falchuk, et al give her great COMEDIC material this season.

24. Natt says:

I really disappointed, but i want a really wonderful storyline for Finn and i´m sick and tired of love triangle.

25. gregg says:

What I get from this is that Finn and Rachel will still be a significant part of Glee and therefore Lea and Cory will get good individual storylines that will let them shine as actors. Cory, especially, who clearly shows incredible talent that is often shoved to the background.

26. Katie says:

Cory Monteith and Lea Michele are both tremendous actors and I truly hope they know how much their hard work is appreciated. I want to see Finn and Rachel persevere through season 4 and I will never stop rooting for them, no matter how many other love interests the writers throw into the mix. They are the heart and soul of Glee as far as I’m concerned. #FinchelForever.

27. Not interested says:

It seems as though Glee is constantly killing thier own show. and at a time when they should be desperately trying to KEEP viewers not turn them away. my God i’ve never sween worse writers on TV. They’ve likely lost me as a viewer . so far I am not planning on watching this show.

28. Rachael says:

If they have to be apart, let them be apart to grow as individuals before they return to each other. Gotta have roots before branches, remember? Other love interests, however, are not roots, but dead leaves we’ve had to sweep away before. I don’t want to see Rachel with a boy other than Finn, and I don’t want to see Finn with a girl other than Rachel. Instead, I’d like to see Rachel struggling to be a star and Finn struggling to find his dream. I want storylines, not more romances.
    #finchelforever

29. Carol says:

“Maybe they will end up together…” What?! MAYBE?! After everything they’ve been through in the last 3 seasons, they will MAYBE end up together?! So, I guess their storyline over the last 3 years was a complete waste of time… Finn set Rachel free because he LOVES her more than everything, he let her pursue her dreams even if it meant that he wouldn’t be able to be with her! HE LOVES HER THAT MUCH! And, now…?! I’m okay with new love interests (not so okay…) but when you say that Finchel may not be endgame… Then, I really don’t know if I believe in true love anymore, because if there’s one exemple for that, this is FINCHEL! #FinchelForever

• Katie says:

I hate to say this but remember Dawsons Creek? Joey didn’t end up with Dawson in the end because she had more chemistry with Pacy that’s something that can happen again. Or Kelly on 90210 chose herself instead of Dylan or Brandon. These things happen.

• Joslin says:

YEP! Sometimes “endgame” doesn’t turn out to be “endgame” just look at the end of one of Rachel’s fav movie’s “Funny Girl” in the end the characters decide that there better off without each other.

• Estelle says:

Funny Girl is based on a real life story, and in real life, Fanny Brice got divorced from her husband after he was got involved in some shady deals and went to prison.

• Estelle says:

LOL No. Joey ended up with Pacey because of the in-fight between the writer/producers behind the scenes. But Glee has yet to produce its own Pacey character. Dean Geyer? LOL no, I don’t think he has the acting skills for that. Jon Groff maybe but they destroyed Jesse St James’s potential too early in the Season for him to make a comeback.

• Joslin says:

Umm I watched Dawsons Creek and Pacy and Joey had a huge fanbase granted I wouldn’t doubt that the writers/producers fought behind the scenes. Also thank you for the Funny Girl information I didn’t know it was based on a real story.

• PJ says:

I’ve always suspected that they assassinated Jesse’s character because they were afraid that he was going to become the Pacey to Finn’s Dawson.

• Inigo says:

Jesse came in egotistical, narcissistic and self-serving who was sent in to deceive her. What assassination?

• Vtr says:

I don’t know but I find this line funny “they assassinated Jesse’s character”. Jesse is the kind of person who has everything in his life and does not value it, and that was exactly what happened with this character, I don’t see any character assassination at all. At least the writers redeemed his character at the end of season 3.

30. Me says:

Wow I don’t think it’s a good idea to comment before we see the episodes… BUT New love interests for everyone… REALLY I didn’t know I’ve been watching a soap… It would be boring… I thought Glee was an inventive show, a show like no other… But reading these articles is pretty disturbing. I expect Finn, Rachel, Kurt, Santana, Artie, Tina and the others will have a story on their own… a story of growing-up… with some big surprises, great scenes, performances and challenging acting for Cory, Lea, Chris & Naya… BUT Love triangles and new love interests are repetitive and boring… Just saying!

31. Finchel.is.Forever says:

Not thrilled about the prospect of Finchel remaining broken up, but I can deal as long as it means that each character gets to have interesting and meaningful experiences. I’m particularly excited for Finn’s ~mystery storyline and hoping that Cory gets to show more of his acting skills… instead of his character serving as the butt of (unfounded) fat jokes and wisecracks about his dancing.

I *will* be totally disappointed if the season devolves into another love-triangle/will-they-or-won’t-they-get-back-together circus. The best part about Season 3 was that the stability in the Finchel relationship let them explore other areas of their life. Rachel got to star in the school musical and incurred trials and tribulations on her way to NYADA acceptance. Finn didn’t have the easiest time as far as losing his football dream and learning about his dad and being rejected from acting school, but he stood up to Santana and helped her with her issues and stepped up as a leader for the Glee club when they needed him. And I’m hopeful that the disappointments he suffered have set the table for his pursuit of a more purposeful future.

And FWIW I think Falchuk’s statement that Finchel may not be endgame is blatant trolling. These showrunners are the best at saying something vague because they know that it’ll cause an uproar. OR we may just be overreacting. By saying that things won’t get better “anytime soon” he may have just meant episode 10 instead of episode 4. o_0

32. Renee says:

Thanks Glee, I couldn’t decide if I was going to watch Season 4 or not but now I’ve made up my mind. I’ll just wait for the tumblr people to put up Finn/Cory scenes, and I’ll be over there in my corner supporting Cory Monteith’s movie career.

• Not interested says:

Best news of this whole thing is Cory is getting out. getting better written parts to play. It’s made it very easy to eave Glee. such as it is right now. No interest in more love teiangles and angst. sorry Glee onf Fox. I’m tuning in to Greys.

• Mike says:

My take on Cory’s career after Glee: He’s already starting to play roles that don’t typecast him. And that is success in itself. It’s also smart of him to start with smaller indie movies and I really don’t need him to become a blockbuster movie star. He’s a quality actor and he’ll keep on producing quality work. I’ll enjoy watching him in all his projects.

• Sil says:

I say it again. Cory is sooo talented. He is making his way to movie screen. He is so versatile in his work that he can persue all good things that come his way. I feel Finn has been made and written to take the brunt of lots of criticism for his characters actions. He has been given the noblest of good intentions for a teenage boy but has also been given some of the lamest excuses for his actions. Cory deserves an epic story for Finn this season.

33. Lara says:

Way to promote the new season, now that they are up against Grey’s Anatomy..

• just the online fans I know there is the GA says:

Seriously. The online Finchel fans were the only section of fandom who were positive about Season 4. Now you’ve lost the Finchels, the Klaine fans are gonna revolt when you break up Kurt and Blaine, and who’s left. Brittana? Faberry? Way to self-destruct, Glee.

34. The final scene in Goodbye showed us a picture of Finn Hudson — due to the incredible acting of Cory Monteith in a scene powerfully written & directed by Brad Falchuk — that I, for one, cannot go back from. Show me this Finn — adult, mature, insightful, intuitive, committed, and passionate — in stories and scenes where Cory can continue to show the full range of his considerable acting skills. Not as a plot device prop for other characters, where he becomes a mentor to new people to make us care about the new cast back in Lima, but where we can see him continue to move Finn to new depths as he faces new challenges. I will watch Glee for more scenes like this from Monteith; if I’m not seeing them, my interest will likely wane. For me, there’s no going back anymore to a Finn who is naive, bumbling, and obtuse.

With Rachel, Lea played her as a naive little girl extremely well throughout Season Three, and I look forward to seeing her portray a Rachel who comes to see the world through adult eyes. But I need to be able to still see her as Rachel Berry — if I cannot still detect the character we’ve followed for 3 years in this “new Rachel,” the story I’m interested in will have disappeared. How Rachel Berry will mature — believably — is what I want to see. I’d also like to have some sense that she truly might fail in her career, and wind up back in Lima like Shelby or Jesse — it’s hard to be believe that will be the case, given the fondness of the Glee writers for her, and while as a lover of the character I want her to succeed, the removal of any doubt about that makes her story less compelling for me as a viewer. Which, I suppose, only leaves her with relationship drama to define her story — thus this article and the renewal of more drama that will define Rachel by who she is with, rather than what she is striving to do.

As far as the relationship/s stories go: To quickly move either of these characters on from the depth of what they expressed for each other throughout three seasons–particularly in that final scene of 3×22–and to substitute sex and yet more love interests for meaningful character growth feels like a betrayal of the essence of the characters who, heretofore, have been meticulously written and portrayed on the show. This is particularly true for the character of Finn, who consciously came to realize, from 2×21 on all the way through 3×22, that he is irrevocably tied to Rachel. The depth her commitment to him was left in some doubt during all of those episodes, but his commitment to her was written and acted to be unshakeable, and it appeared that the room for growth in her character was to realize that depth of commitment as well. If Glee takes the cheap, easy route out of letting new relationships, instead of life struggles and dreams, substitute as the catalyst for stories and growth and adulthood, I suspect it will fall flat — at least, it will for me.

One week ago today, TVLine published this quote from Falchuk: “Relationships in general will be less of a focus this year. I personally think a lot of these characters are more interesting not in relationships. And I think with a lot of them we will be exploring that. Whether they break up or not, we’re really focused on giving them more individual stories.” I was thrilled to read that, and to hear about a season that would show individual stories — the reemergence of the old, go-for-it-at-all-costs-no-holds-barred Rachel struggling as someone who is absolutely ordinary in the context of a school full of Rachels, and the final emergence of Finn honing in on and going after a “dream as big as he is” that will let him prove to himself he is “New York good” not just “Lima good,” believing for himself that he’s good enough, not relying on others to tell him so.

I don’t know if focus group testing, or pressure from the network, or what changed the story over the course of seven days, or if we were being misled then or are being misled now. But this is a 180 degree shift from last week’s article, and the feeling of being jerked around is getting old; it feels like there’s a boy out there who keeping crying “Wolf! Wolf!” At some point, I’m just going to stop paying attention or being interested, and it feels like that time is coming sooner, rather than later.

Finally, it is disappointing to read here, and in the other promotional articles put out for Glee so far, that simple sex is the way the show is attempting to be more “adult” in its new time slot. I don’t think this is the “more adult content” that will help Glee regain its critical acclaim from Season 1; that came from dark, adult humor and incredible, innovative writing and direction; this sounds like cheesy & trite plot devices every show on the CW dishes out 6 times per episode–and those shows don’t even come to mind when people talk about SAGs, Globes, and Emmys.

• Sil says:

Bravo!!!!!! Ditto!!!!!!!!!!Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Me 2!!!!!!!!!!!!I second that!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m tired and the show just showed it is too tired to be inovative in this new concept of a show within a show. Sex for the simple something that is sex to make Glee mature and adult entertainment for season 4 9pm is a farce. Adult humor, edgy, campy satire have been lost to more drama than wit. I hope for Glee’s future sake that the creative staff refocuses on what got them there.

35. Bryn says:

Wow thanks Brad for this interview now I know not to tune in this season. So glad Grey’s is on at the same time.

36. Angel says:

I will not continue watching if Finn gets another love interest. Even for only temporary. It completely negates the entire sacrifice he did in the finale. Falchuk is creating buzz. That is all. And if Rachel has sex with Brody. I’m done. I also want separate individual storylines about them achieving their dreams and of course coming together. Lea and Cory have the best chemistry and are amazing actors. They portray Finchel so well. They belong together and are endgame

• Sean C. says:

Rachel’s not allowed to date after Finn broke up with her?

• Calie says:

of course not, girl needs to go buy herself a chastity belt.

• Lawd says:

It’s not that Rachel is not allowed to date. Have you read that post? The poster thinks it negates all the storylines that came just before this. Meh, but this is Glee, It’s just the sort of stuff they’d pull.

• YOLO says:

Sorry but no chemistry there, season 4 might be diff since they are dating, but the last 3 season have been boring bc of their 0 chemistry. Even people shipped Faberry, St. Berry and Puckleberry bc there’s no Chemistry with finchel

• glee has gone down says:

This is the most accurate comment I’ve read so far. I’m being serious. THANK YOU.

• Lee says:

It’s your opinion, and you have a right to it, But a lot of people in the comment section of this article seem to disagree with you, and it’s their opinion too.

• tay says:

these comments though are just a very smallish fraction of the fandom. like the 5% of you guys against the other 95% .. the majority of the fandom doesn’t like finchel very much and they always agreed they lack of chemistry. meh i don’t want a star anyway i just wanted to point out this

• Vtr says:

Matter of opinion. I can understand why people ship things like St Berry and Puckeberry, but people who ship Faberry (romantically) are just a bunch of delusionals.

37. Powell says:

All I want is some great writing for Cory, and for Finn to fulfil his dreams. I can’t bear all this couple crap at the moment, although I do support Finchel together. #better storylinesforcory

38. Pam says:

Reading that article negates everything about last season. Two people who l

• Sil says:

We all have to realize that these writers speak to stir up trouble and get the masses to talk and grumble. If they do this kind of story for these 2, then everything that the writers have put them thru would be in vain. Season 2 Funeral they were tethered. Season 3 they were emotionally bonded as soul mates. If this were a fact as written, then soulmates would not be exploring into this kind of unchartered territory. Finn needs an epic story for him to evolve and mature. Rachel has a great start for her to grow NYADA and all the challenges fitting in and making the grade. It just makes me wonder why do these writers “seem” to script everything for maturation of a character should include being a couple with someone.

39. John says:

Just not interested in anything about that article. Glad you warned me what was going to happen Brad.

40. huh says:

Someone told me Finn is dating the guy who won the glee project.

But Finn is straight like an arrow straight.

• Kay says:

LOL That was a joke made by a Cory blog. You don’t seriously believe that, do you? On the other hand, ngl, it would make an interesting storyline for Finn.

41. Kat says:

IF Rachel is having the time of her life, becoming the singing and dancing Blair Waldorf 2.0 or Carrie Bradshaw 2.0, I think it would only be fair to let Finn have his fun too. Don’t leave him stuck in Lima. If you leave him stuck in Lima, I’ll never forgive the writers.

42. Glee is truly dead says:

BAM! just witnessed the doom of Season 4 of Glee. LOL at Fox/RIB and Dante try and pull them back again. oops they did it again……ratings will be fun to watch, especially against Grey’s, and with no Cory or Naya in the first few episodes? this will be a disaster..

Glad Cory will be off doing other movies and with his band, I’ll have other things to watch besides Glee. I’ve never been so turned off by a TV show and it’s writers before.

43. coln says:

Sigh… I’d like to know what the other characters are up to. It’s only Finchel and Klaine right now, and I don’t mind but I’d like news of the others too.

• glee has gone down says:

I think the klainers deserve some spoilers since they’re the least shown couple besides tike. But I do agree we need some more spoilers for the other pairs.

44. YOLO! says:

Feel sorry for the girl whose life will be ruined by Finnept. Thank God Rachel has a new love interest, I ship finn with loneliness. He’s such a hypocrite

• Inigo says:

Yes, because kissing Rachel in the auditorium at her invitation (wow, that makes Rachel a cheater too so she can’t ever complain either when someone does it to her) means he should never get upset ever again for the rest of his life when he is cheated upon. I’ve got that right, right?

45. Petra says:

I really hope Finchel isn’t endgame, they’re so boring.
    I know it’s not realistic, but I’ll always keep hoping for Puckleberry.
    They have amazing chemistry.

46. Tim says:

I want Klaine and Brittana to break up too! Why is it always Finchel that have to get so much angst! Frankly I’m tired of it.

• Sydney says:

you just made a new enemy…all of the entire glee fandom

• tay says:

oh god. agree with you Sydney plus kurt, blaine, santana and brittany gets enough drama thank you. they should be happy.

• Ann says:

Agreed. Kurt has dealt with being sexually assaulted stalked and someone threatening to kill him and being elected prom queen as a joke and his dreams were ruined. Blaine was gay bashed (and probably missed a year of school) and assaulted by Sebastian and his dad doesn’t accept him. Santana was forcibly outed to the state and blackmailed by Finn and disowned by her abuela. Brittany just failed her senior year and from the sound of spoilers, she won’t be taking it well. Can these people be happy in ONE area of their lives? Their romances are so much more socially relevant and important than the straight, white couple Finchel.

47. gleek says:

This new Glee isn’t making me really interested, but I will watch Chris and Naya. Finn with someone else =NO. Rachel with a college dude, yes. Finn needs to find himself and I really hope Finchel doesn’t get back together. And for saying finn is hero for letting rach go, he basically told her what Quinn has been telling Rach all 3 seasons. I don’t ship faberry, but Quinn has always told Rach she should leave her dream. Unlike finn and LA with Puck and pool cleaning business

48. Kelly says:

I do believe Rachel needs another guy. After the second season ended, i strongly believed her and Finn weren’t meant to be together. I think Finn should take a break from relationships all together, it just seems to be too much for the big dope all the time. I also wish Rachel would get less screen time because she’s been one of my least favorite characters since I started watching the show, but I know that’s never going to happen so I’m not going to whine about it like 98.7% of the other Rachel haters.

49. I LOOOVE FINCHEL, I’M HOPING THAT THE END UP TOGETHER, BUT IT IS GOOD THAT THEY LOOSE WHAT THEY LOVE TO BE ABLE TO REALIZE WHAT THE HAVE!

50. Sydney says:

finchel is gross and horrible and if they are all of your otps then you really shouldnt be all haha “cory monteith is so cute” and “rachel is too high maintenance”. Stop dissing Quinn she went through a lot and i get she did do some very wrong things, but FINN IS AN ASSHOLE SO shutup. Rachel and Quinn are perfect. FABERRY FOREVER!!

• Gwen says:

Rachel and Quinn are very interesting characters but by no means are they perfect. LOL way to make faberry forever relevant.

• Vtr says:

I suppose you are one of those fans who believe Dianna is the best actrees of the cast, aren’t you? actually most of the faberry shippers are more Quinn/Dianna fans/stans than Rachel/Lea. For the sake of Quinn’s character is better she’s gone.