Glee Season 4 First Look Poster and Cast Shot: Who's Front & Center? Who's Missing?

Glee creator Ryan Murphy has unveiled the Fox musical comedy’s new Season 4 poster — plus a glamorous panormic cast shot — and it’s a reminder that New York City may not be so kind to Rachel Berry.

RELATED | Exclusive: Glee Exec Promises New Romance For Finn, Touts a Not-That-Innocent Rachel

Murphy Tweeted out the poster, which reads, “Sometimes the Big Apple bites.” Brandishing the loser “L” on Ms. Berry’s forehead is Kate Hudson as her new tough-as-nails NYADA dance instructor.

Below the poster is a cast photo, featuring many new and returning characters — with the notable exceptions of Quinn, Emma, Joe, Sugar, Beiste and Glee Project Season 2 champ Blake Jenner. Plus, Santana and Brittany are awfully far apart. UPDATE: Rest easy, Dianna Agron fans. Murphy posted the following message on Twitter: “Gleeks, please relax. Dianna is still on the show. We love her and have great plans for Quinn. #QuinnFabrayLives”

What does it all mean? Hit the comments with your theories!

Glee returns to Fox on its new night Thursday, Sept. 13 at 9/8c.

Glee Lea Michele Kate Hudson

Glee Season 4

1. G says:

I’m so excited about Kate Hudson being on Glee! :)

• Sil says:

I adore Kate Hudson. So excited for Kate being a hard knocks teacher for Rachel. So new and different for Glee. SJ Parker for Kurt also.

2. Cate53 says:

Love that poster! Kate Hudson is going to be fun I think.

3. Kai says:

No Dianna and no Jayma. I’m out.

• Javier says:

Thanks god that Alex from the glee project isn’t there.

• Adyn says:

Oh, trust me, he’ll be there plenty!!!….He’s not in the “regulars” cast photo as he’s considered a

“guest” actor, same as Samuel Larsen, Vanessa Lengies, etc……I think you will find, though, that you ‘ll see quite a bit of him as Mr. Murphy, Ian brennan and Brad Falchuk are all on record stating how fascinated they are with Alex Newell and the character they are creating for him…….:(……He’s even being touted online as Mercedes’ replacement. You are going to have “Unique” on your TV screen ad- nauseum!!! whether you like it or not. Your ONLY recourse is to Tweet and comment on blogs and websites like this one and voice your dislike of the Unique storyline. OR, your biggest influence would be just to TURN THE TV OFF!!!!—-don’t watch (I’m not.) Newell’s character will most definitely be taking the lime-light away from the rest of the characters, not to mention the time uselessly wasted story-wise on him…..Ridiculous character—-totally unbelievable—- and Newell’s portrayal of him, let’s just say, leaves a lot to be desired (in the acting department.) The producers will be pursuing the Unique story-line with a vengeance—-that’s the under-lying political goal of the whole show…….advancement of GAY and like-minded issues. The rest of the show is just FROSTING for the real premise (i.e.cake) and Alex Newell’s story-line is going to be placed ahead of all other story-lines this coming season. He is going to be the “CAKE” this season! Fortunately, that will probably mean that Joe Hart won’t be gettin’ any emphasis/big story-line this season. I can only hope that he gets the RORY treatment for he is boring as sin—-no on-screen charisma whatsoever. On the other hand, I would greatly appreciate it if Mr. McGinty were brought back instead of Samuel Larsen and Alex Newell and given the DECENT story-line that he soooooooooo definitely deserved last season. There a is a ton of directions the writers could have taken his character but CHOSE not to and for what reason? I smell dirty politics. I think you can surmise that if Mr. Flanagan had had an appreciation for “spanks” and women’s wigs, AND was STRONGLY attracted to Kurt Hummel instead of Brittany and Sugar, he’d be standing front and center alongside Unique this fourth season of Glee…….Don’t you agree?……His character had so much potential and they never even closed out his story-line at the end of the season. What’s up with that?!…..:(…..

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

Gay conspiracy theory. Lovely.

Regardless of the political messages, homosexuality is NOT the only big mainstream issue that they have covered, and it won’t be the only one they continue to cover.

What YOU need to understand is that this is a show about HIGH SCHOOL (and now COLLEGE). High schoolers these days are dealing with these issues, especially the acceptance of kids that are different (gay, etc). Just because you’re older and closed-minded doesn’t mean that the show is all about the gay “cake” storylines.

Get a life. The show is mostly about the MUSIC anyways. The show has NEVER taken itself TOO seriously, constantly mocks ALL stereotypes (gays included), and is strictly fun.

You’ll be okay. And if you won’t, then take your own advice a step further. Turn the TV off, and STOP READING THE ARTICLES ABOUT GLEE TO B**** ABOUT IT. Ignorance at it’s best!

They didn’t close up Shelby Corcoran’s storyline at all either… I hope it wasn’t because of the gays!!!

As for me, I’m excited that they are bringing on fresh blood, taking on big issues, and changing the student’s directions. It’s called growth.

• Carla says:

Please bring Damian back to the show – he has a beautiful voice and has had the experience of being in a group for 4 years (Celtic Thunder)

4. Keith says:

They should have photoshopped Quinn along with rest of the graduating seniors. This just looks like now they have deliberately left her out. Stupid mistake. I hope they rectify their error with other promo materials.

• dude says:

She’s not the only one missing and lets be real, she’ll be in two or three episodes tops. She doesn’t need to be on the poster.

5. maru says:

i only notice that Quinn hasn’t there hahahahah totally forgot about emma, sugar, joe and beist hahahaha

6. Alicia says:

Dianna should have been there along with Mark, Harry and Amber. Sloppy PR department is sloppy.

7. Peter says:

Where is Diana Agron???

8. Peter says:

Where is Diana Agron??? Shes not going to be comibg back?

9. Hyde says:

who the hell’s in St Louis?

• D says:

Santana is in st louis she got a scholarship remember.

• ggny says:

Louisville is in Kentucky. Best guess is Finn is in St.Louis

• Smiley May says:

There is a Saint Louis, GA near Fort Benning…this coming from an Army wife who spent plenty of time at Ft. Benning! It is definitely where Finn will be. I hope Finn goes Airborne!

• Sean C. says:

Santana’s in Louisville.

St. Louis is either a random location, a spoiler for somebody else, or (most likely, given this show) a typical screwup by the promo department.

• Finn says:

Military records of all former enlisted soldier are kept in St Louis

• Sil says:

Wow, thanks good to know!!! So Finn did investigate. There is a tweet by a rival of Michael Ausellio’s, begins with a K, that states they are looking for a drill sergeant for the Finn story line.

10. Fernanda says:

Kate is the new Sue Sylvester from NY, but sexy.

11. sophie says:

FABERRY 2.O
    I DO NOT WANT
    I WANT QUINN

• Sil says:

I never felt there was anything but resentment from Quinn. Quinn would have dismissed Rachel in the halls of the prom if it weren’t for the fact Rachel insisted she hear and understand what she meant to Rachel. Only then did Quinn really get that Rachel really wanted to be her friend. After all these seasons of their interaction, I still don’t feel any real and sincere friendship between them.

12. B says:

What happened to your promise that “EVERYONE” is coming back, Ryan Murphy?

• Hugo says:

I remember Ryan Murphy saying that all the Seniors would be back in SOME CAPACITY. Maybe Dianna Agron has sign to comeback only as a guest. The same goes to Sugar, Emma, Joe and Beist

• dude says:

I love how fans take quotes from ryan Murphy and twist them into whatever they want it to mean. He says no tribute episodes in the first 10 episodes and they take it as “no tribute episodes EVER!!” He says the seniors will be back in some capacity and they take it as “the seniors will be the stars!”

13. Nelle says:

Rory, Quinn and Sebastian aren’t there. This is not okay.

• ggny says:

Rory isnt coming back that was already reported

• Jon says:

Sebastian is also not coming back this season, it’s already been reported as well.

• Adyn says:

I’m fervently hoping that all of the above gave Murphy and “co.” the one finger salute; we all know how little air time they would be allotted in the up-coming season, anyway, which is going to be nothing more than the Rachel Berry/ Unique show. You just know that’s true…….Rory on mute, Sebastian 1 (2 maximum) episodes and Quin maybe 3 to 4 appearances the whole season. The show be a changin’, folks, and Glee as we know (knew) it is goin’ bye-bye. That’s a fact Jack and there ain’t a darned thing you can do about it!…..:(……so so sad……

14. gleefullyfinchel says:

I think we found Finn in St. Louis where all branches of military store their medical and military records.

15. JR says:

it should be Louisville which is where Santana got a cheerleading scholarship!

16. ashley says:

Wow no Quinn really? This season seems less and less interesting by the day.

17. Danie says:

not here for the distance brittany and santana >:|

18. Kya says:

NoQuinnNoGlee Bye.

19. Chlo says:

Pissed Dianna was left out. I don’t care if she guest stars for one episode this season, they should’ve included her along with the rest of the seniors. Amber was included and probably won’t even return at all for season four. They really don’t grasp how popular she really is.

20. Erin says:

Umm, St. Louis isn’t east of Ohio.

• Jon says:

You are right. St. Louis arrow is pointing the wrong way. That is a serious geography error.

• Hannah says:

I don’t think it’s a geography thing. The arrow is pointing directly at Finns head. Maybe it’s a hint that he’s in St. Louis, like an above person said.

• Sil says:

Aren’t you tricky. Yes, it is. But the signs are pointing one way then the other. It might not mean anything at all.

• Haley says:

Glee can’t get continuity right, or handle sensitive issues or character development at all, I don’t expect the writers to consider geographical accuracy when making promo posters.

21. Heather says:

Season 4 is looking more and more like a big pile of horse poop.

22. tay says:

missing quinn, sugar, beiste, joe, puck (but puck is needed for the storyline with his brother, the yconfirmed sugar in the first ep , and dot as well, so i’m guessing that quinn isn’t there just because of lazy editing but she has to be there)

23. A says:

Don’t the new 3 guys remind you of Rachel, Finn and Quinn on season 1? Not the boy who’s next to Rachel, I mean, the other three who are surounded by Glee Cast members. The girl and the boy are wearing similiar outfits as Rachel and Finn on season 1, and the other girl, the one who’s a cheerleader, could she be the new Quinn? Just saying.

24. Bill says:

Lea Michele has turned into an overactor. She’s so animated and over-the-top. Her acting is very unrealistic and those bangs just seal the deal as her looking like a cartoon character. She use to be cute in the first season, now I can’t stand to watch “Glee” BECAUSE of her. Too annoying.

• Marina Sabino says:

You are completely right. Lea Michele just overacts now. She was great in the first season. Now, she is painful to watch.

• Glee actors are phoning it in says:

Hence why she didn’t get any Emmy nominations this year. Or the show, for that matter. Glee has run its course. It’s sitting on life-support waiting for the plug to be pulled anyday now.

25. ggny says:

Quinn i kinda get why she isnt in there. But where the hell is Emma? She is a main character isnt she?

26. Jmmtt says:

No Quinn? Not cool. And did anyone else do a double take on Kate Hudson? Thought it was Blake Lively for a sec! A Serena Vanderwoodsen-Rachel Berry standoff would be fun though! Mainly because Blair would destroy her in seconds.

27. jason says:

The only character I will watch any episode of glee for is Dave. And since there’s no indication he’s coming back, I have no desire to watch. It is highly offensive to just leave a character that has been present since S1 in a hospital bed after he tried to kill himself. Yes, glee is a comedy, but they are ones that did that storyline. They need to finish it.

28. Laysa says:

I think they only let Quinn out bc Dianna is still in Europe for Malavita filming, right? They’ve promise Faberry scenes on S4. And yes, like said before, they should’ve photoshopped her into the image.

29. KK says:

No Quinn, No Sugar, No Glee for me!! Peace!!
    Greys, here I come!!

• Smiley May says:

I believe they are trying to down play Sugar…I think she will be a really important character this year. The fact that they had her “fake bad singing” in the first epi of last year, and very rarely the rest, it tells me they are getting ready to spring a big surprise on us with her….I just have this feeling.

30. Elly says:

Okay Sam is there, look harder. Secondly, wtf Ryan Murphy?!? No Quinn? Why show the new kids and not the ones everyone knows and loves. Rory’s not coming back, we know that. Joe and Sebastian? Meh. Jayma they wouldn’t just write out, too crucial. And Finn is not in St. Louis, Santana is. She got a scholarship, Finn is suppose to be the wild card of the season.

31. Becks says:

Bummed that Emma isn’t on there. She’s basically the only thing that makes Shue tolerable. Plus Jayma Mays rocks!

32. Lorena says:

Quinn can stay off the show for all I care. dnw her back at all. One episode is already too much of her. Bring on Sugar and I will be happy.

33. SpeedRcrX says:

I’m pissed of too that left out Dianna even if she’s still France filming. They could have take a photo before she leaves and include it in the group shot as it seems that the photo is made in this way with the other actors…
    I think I’m going to troll Murphy twitter account to include Quinn in the future promo pics ;-)

34. Angie says:

I wouldn’t expect anyone from Glee to realize that St. Louis is the same direction as LA from Lima, Ohio. They can’t get basic plot and character consistency right, why should I expect them to know basic US geography?

• SpeedRcrX says:

Excellent comment sadly so true…

• Hannah says:

Or maybe they’re not as stupid as you think and they are hinting at the fact that Finn is going to be in St. Louis when the show starts up again, because the arrow is pointing directly at his head. Or they really are that stupid, but I’d give them the benefit of the doubt.

• Willa says:

And a show set in a school reaches a new low. West, St. Louis is WEST of Ohio. Look at a flipping map!

35. Anne says:

The St. Louis sign pointing the wrong direction is really bothering the teacher in me. St. Louis is WEST of Ohio, not East. Where’s Emma?!

36. The Bonnie situation says:

Maybe Finn can find a good replacement in the Army.

37. Cathy Doyle says:

Was never too impressed with the Quinn character. I am a huge fan and will miss what we have all come to love with this show. Interested to see how the storyline with Kate Hudson works out. Love her stuff. Hang in there everyone. I think we’re in for an interesting season.

38. anne says:

99% of the comments are complaints. Glee fans. Lol

39. Sean C. says:

I hope that “St. Louis” is meant to be an additional random location, because if the show’s promo materials can’t even keep “Louisville” straight, that’s embarassing even for this notoriously sloppy show.

40. Alexis says:

Who’s the blonde cheerleader next to Matt Morrison? 4 a second I thought it was Quinn.

41. Juan says:

QUINN, where is my Quinn? She is awesome and glee without her would suck! I need to see her acting and singing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

42. I wonder, with Santana sitting with Kurt, Finn, Rachel, and Brody, does this mean she ends up in New York too?

• Sean C. says:

It think it’s almost certain she will (she can’t have a large role on the show in Louisville, which we’ve been told she will this year), but I don’t think the promo placement necessarily means that. She’s grouped with the other three grads who are returning in a large capacity (and Brody).

• Kay says:

She wasn’t really thrilled about going to KY anyway so I bet she tries it for a week and then ditches college and goes to NYC instead. Her mother gave her the money she saved for college and told her she could use that to go to NY if she wanted to. That is probably what she is going to do. I only watch Glee for Kurt and Blaine anyway.

43. OnceFan316 says:

Theres already a lot of people on that Poster already plus Dianna’s in france it really doesn’t upset me they left her off

• sky says:

People graduate from high school and move on. People need to get over it. Glee powers at be have chosen new cast members to fill in as newbies to the New Directions. Quinn will return as an occassion cast member. Let Dianna move on to do movies. That may be what she really wants to do now. I’m glad for her. Wish her well. I hope you do too. Watch the movies that she makes from now on. She would appreciate her fans following her in her endeavors.

44. Sean says:

I don’t see Dave Karofsky, so I don’t care.

• Casey says:

Yeah, I used to love this show and the characters. But since they decided to do an attempted suicide storyline and then leave the guy in the hospital with only a little dream, I can’t watch anymore. Where the hell is the resolution? They can’t let us SEE it gets better by bringing a happy Dave back a few times? Having personal experience with this issue, I cannot believe they think this is an appropriate ending for that character. So I’m done unless they fix it.

• Alex says:

Expecting resolution from Glee is like hoping to see the hidden side of the moon from your window lol. You either rely on somebody else to show you that (fanfic writers) or you just dream about what it’s like. That being said, I totally agree with you. I loved Karofsky.
        As for Dianna, they better not be trolling. I need Quinn to be on the show.
        Nhf the the dopplegangers stuff, it’s ridiculous. Geez, if you’re gonna introduce new characters, at least make them have a personality of their own, enough with the recycling already. If someone likes Quinn, they want to see Quinn, not Kitty even if she may turn out to be fun, who knows). Same for other characters. But that would suppose some common sens on TPTB’s part, so…
        And what’s with Santana’s outfit? It’s from the S2 finale. Couldn’t they find a more recent picture to photoshop her in? My God, they’re taking lazy to a whole new level.

45. Amy says:

No Emma…no Glee for me. Season 4 looks a lot like the Rachel show. There’s a lot to be said for variety in the story lines.

46. OnceFan316 says:

People just because they are not in the cast Photo doesn’t mean they won’t be on the show

47. Cate53 says:

It’s hard to see them getting a Season 5 with this formula. Can you imagine all this again next year as Blaine, Tina, Artie, Sam, presumably Brit all graduate and there is NO ONE left we care about at McKinley and them having a bunch of disjointed storylnes. So with that in mind, I am determined to enjoy S4, as in all liklihood, its the last 22 eps.

I can see them shifting Santana to NYC with Kurt and Rachel to give us a little group there, with (hopefully) Quinn popping in from New Haven. Alongside the Lima New Directions I think those will be the main story centres.
    I love Rachel and am hoping we see her follow her dreams rather than mope around after Finn. Too much obsession over who is hooking up with who sometimes, lets have some PLOT! Rachel and Kurt (and hopefully Santana) trying to make a name for themselves in NY.

48. Kay says:

As long as Kurt and Blaine are on the show, I’m happy. They are my favorites. Hope the writers do a good job of writing storylines for all the characters and that they are interesting.

49. Devin says:

Without Dave on this show, I don’t care. I’ve been waiting to hear him sing since Season 2. And now they just pretend he never existed after almost killing him. Screw you glee.

50. OnceFan316 says:

Didn’t Max Alder get a New Series and that’s why he’s not coming back? Pretty Much remember he is now a Cast Member on the Last Resort now.