Emmys

Emmys 2012: What Should Win Outstanding Animated Series? Take Our Poll!

Get More: Emmys, Polls

The 2012 Emmy race for Outstanding Animated Series is most definitely a Fox-y affair.

Indeed, three of the five nominees are members of Fox’s “Animation Domination” Sunday-night lineup: The Simpsons (a 10-time winner in the category), American Dad, and Bob’s Burgers give Fox a three-pronged offense against last year’s champ Comedy Central’s Futurama. Rounding out the field is Nickelodeon’s The Penguins of Madagascar: The Return of the Revenge of Dr. Blowhole.

What would you do if you had the power to honor one of these fine shows when the Emmys are handed out in September? Choose your favorite in our poll below — TVLine voting closes Sept. 14, so act now! — then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every day for the next month, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor, and to stay up to speed on all our races, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (28)

• Bob’s Burgers, I guess? I dunno, these are not really my favorite choices. Shouldn’t South Park be a choice? Or Archer? I don’t watch Archer, but I find it strange it wasn’t nominated when it was a Critics Choice Award winner. My friends rave about it and are trying to get me to watch.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – August 23, 2012 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ARCHER.

It’s three classes above all five of the nominees.

Comment by Marin Kuharić (@Prkan_708) – August 23, 2012 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not nominating Archer is the biggest crime in this category.

Comment by Hamza – August 23, 2012 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I couldn’t agree more. Not only is Archer far and away the best animated series on TV, it is among the top 10 series on TV period

Comment by IPF – August 24, 2012 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the hardest category. I’d be happy with any of them winning (although I’ve never seen Penguins of Madagascar), but my three top choices would be Futurama, American Dad, or The Simpsons. I’ll go with American Dad because it’s never gotten the recognition it deserves. It’s a million times funnier than Family Guy and Cleveland Show-both of which I’m thrilled aren’t nominated.

Comment by TJ – August 23, 2012 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Although, if they’re going to nominate a children’s show, why not Spongebob? I’m not an avid watcher so I don’t know how this most recent season was, but it’s the only kids’ show that can be genuinely funny to adults at times.

Comment by TJ – August 23, 2012 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • spongebob should have been nominated years ago, now not so much. the penguins definitely deserve to be there, its a surprisingly well written show, there was an episode which involved time travel which i had to watch 3 times just to get all the jokes and understand the story fully, its one of the best episodes of kids tv ive seen since recess and rugrats ended

Comment by Alan – August 23, 2012 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This is for the Primetime Emmys. It has to be on during a certain time or else it’s only eligible for the Daytime Emmys where most children’s programming gets recognized.

Comment by TigerNightmare – August 24, 2012 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • American Dad. The episode they submitted gave me one of the biggest laughs I got from television this season.

Comment by Jessica – August 23, 2012 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Archer all the way.
    Since it’s not here, I’ll say Futurama.

Comment by Polly – August 23, 2012 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ummm Archer and only Archer is acceptable.

Comment by KND – August 23, 2012 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’d be funny if Penguins, the show that won the Daytime Emmy in the category, also wins it in prime-time.. And it’s a shame Archer wasn’t nominated since the previous cycle was stellar. A toss up between Bob’s Burgers and Futurama.

Comment by Jeff Harris (@nemalki) – August 23, 2012 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why not Zoidburg?

Comment by Becky – August 23, 2012 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Simpsons. It’s nowhere near its peak, but its still way better than everything else that I’ve seen here (although, I admit, I’ve never seen or heard of penguins)

Comment by ben – August 23, 2012 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I also believe that Archer is the best animated show on TV right now, I have to vote for American Dad or Futurama. Both of the those shows have continued to improve with age and are still funny. The Simpsons have definatly declined over the last few years. I don’t even seem to care if I miss an episode anymore.

Comment by Kris – August 23, 2012 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the penguins of madagascar is surprisingly brilliant, spoofs and subverts lots of spy tropes, plus the episode they’ve submitted has neil patrick harris as the villain and he is as fantastic as always

Comment by Alan – August 23, 2012 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bob’s Burgers, hands down. A refreshing, new, loving family, that has lots of fun with each other. The characters are fantastic. Let’s all hear it for new guys! Allright!!

Comment by Marge Prendamano Dunigan – August 23, 2012 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Archer should win for the 3 episode “Heart of Archness” series lol. That was awesome. I’ll pick Futurama since Archer isn’t there, but I would be ok with Bob’s Burgers too. The Simpsons has been on since I was a kid and I am just tired of it. American Dad is pretty funny but hey, Why Not Zoidberg?

Comment by Chuck Finley (AJ) – August 23, 2012 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • American Dad. It’s one of the funniest cartoons around and it never gets recognized for it. Roger is probably the best cartoon character ever.

Comment by guest – August 23, 2012 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the Penguins and Private’s love for his My Little Pony-type tv show and Princess Self-Respectia. That show is way more adult-driven than most would believe. Very subtle, intelligent humor.

Comment by Martha – August 23, 2012 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • South Park!

Comment by bobbie – August 23, 2012 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • uh…. ARCHER!

Comment by Brendan – August 23, 2012 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “We’re Whalers on the moon…
    We carry a harpoon…
    For they ain’t no whales…
    So we tell tall tales…
    And sing our whaling tune…”

Enough said.

Comment by The Squatch – August 23, 2012 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • American Dad

Comment by Jay – August 23, 2012 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow! I immediately knew I was voting for Futurama when I saw the category, but what a shock to find that a plurality agreed with me!

Comment by Rich – August 24, 2012 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think they meant to put Archer in this category but got it confused with Bobs Burgers cause they use the same voice. I mean seriously, how else did Bobs Burgers make it to an Emmy nomination? Archer and Young Justice should be nominated, but since they’re not I picked Futurama. Yo Leela Leela was a great episode!

Comment by Ram510 – August 24, 2012 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • American Dad doesn’t get the credit it deserves. It’s much smarter humor than Family Guy, and they don’t have to rehash annoying bits so much either.

I didn’t know Futurama won last year. That’s pretty funny that it won against Fox’s other shows, considering Fox canceled it. Guess they were wrong AGAIN.

Comment by Mikael – August 27, 2012 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Archer is by far the best animated show out there.

Comment by Alienware – August 28, 2012 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post