It's (Sorta) Official! Michael Strahan Named Kelly Ripa's Permanent Live Co-Host

Michael Strahan Live With KellyLooks like Kelly Ripa can finally cancel her Google alert for “Notre Dame football” and replace it with one for “New York Giants.”

Ripa, who’s been the sole permanent host of Live With Kelly since Regis Philbin stepped down last November 18, will have an official partner in crime come Sept. 4 when she’s joined by former NFL star Michael Strahan on the season premiere of Live With Kelly & Michael, TVLine has confirmed.

A whopping 59 different men and women joined Ripa behind the Live desk following Philbin’s departure, but in recent weeks, the list of serious candidates was narrowed down to three: Strahan, SNL vet Seth Meyers, and classical singer Josh Groban.

Strahan’s Live duties reportedly won’t affect his role on Fox NFL Sunday. The news was first reported by Broadcasting & Cable.

Excited about this news, or were you rooting for someone else to get the gig? Sound off in the comments!

Comments (73)

• I was rooting for Seth Myers but I’ll take Strahan with open arms.

Comment by april-ann – August 21, 2012 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Horrible decision!!

Comment by Jared – August 21, 2012 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really shouldn’t be commenting given the actual number of times I’ve watched since Regis left. I love Seth Myers for other things but really saw him only once with Kelly (he made her look better than she is, isn’t that what they need over there?). I’ve seen Strahan with her less than five times, it was a little boring but then so is the whole show now with or without Strahan. Curious Jared, why is it a horrible decision? Even though I don’t really watch anymore, I have to admit I’m still interested in what happens.

Comment by april-ann – August 21, 2012 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! Nothing against Strahan (or Ripa) as a person, but Strahan & Ripa make a horrible combo.

Comment by Luminosity – August 21, 2012 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree I think Kelly has made a big mistake, he does nothing for the show. I have seen many other great co- host, Kelly Please pick someone else. !!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Lynn – August 22, 2012 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have watched Live for many, many years. That ends with this announcement.

Comment by David – August 21, 2012 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He was the one I wanted least. I just don’t enjoy him as much as Seth Meyers. Having Strahan every once in a while was ok, but that full week with him was not enjoyable. Guess I’ll give him a chance but I can see me rushing home from dropping my son off at school a lot less now.

Comment by Tiffany – August 21, 2012 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hear you Tiffany. LOL and WOW. You brought back memories for me. Of dropping my certain little someone off at his school and hurrying back, cursing every red light, wondering if I’d make it in time to see the WHOLE host chat. It was back in 2001 when ABC would put out those promos about Kelly Ripa joining Regis for the day, for two days, for the week, for whatever, I was in. Now THAT was chemistry. For a morning show, that was chemistry at its best. It looks here like there was pressure to just name a co-host already, regardless of whether there was chemistry. This could be the beginning of the end, or as some would call it “remember that show with Regis?”…

Comment by april-ann – August 21, 2012 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really done with this show now!

Comment by Jennifer – August 21, 2012 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wasn’t a big fan of Regis – I may give the show a try!

Comment by Linderella – August 21, 2012 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not a great choice. It will make a barely watchable show totally unwatchable.

Comment by Vicki – August 21, 2012 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Nick Lachey, he was there a bunch of times…

Comment by Renee – August 21, 2012 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I for one am happy about Michael joining. I was rooting for Michael or Nick. Seth was never going to leave SNL for a morning show so let it go people.

Comment by KND – August 21, 2012 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe not JUST for a morning show but let’s face it: no one stays with SNL forever. Myers is young and could handle both for a while until something comes along for him (and it will) that makes him leave SNL, Strahan’s not quitting his “day” job for this either.

Comment by april-ann – August 21, 2012 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ……eh.
    Not really a fan of his. Once in a while is okay but he started getting on my nerves that full week. I myself was hoping for josh.

Comment by Gabby – August 21, 2012 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Horrible decision. Can’t stand him on this show. I will not be watching anymore.

Comment by Lisa – August 21, 2012 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know why I am so opposed to this. I just don’t buy the chemistry. Doesn’t do it for me. Oh well, I needed an extra hour back in my life…

Comment by Laura – August 21, 2012 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree no Chemistry at all. I never saw it. He just tries to hard, he is not funny. KELLY PICK SOMEONE ELSE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Lynn – August 22, 2012 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not a fan…. I was hoping for Seth Myers…. But I realize he was never going to leave SNL

Comment by Beth – August 21, 2012 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t see why he’d have had to leave SNL; I think he just didn’t want the job full-time (he indicated as much when his name was first floated as a finalist).

Comment by Micah White (@micahwhite) – August 22, 2012 07:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited! I’m a huge Giants fan. I love that Stray got the job. Would have been ok with Josh too. Didn’t eat Seth to get it, like him on SNL more. Strahan 6 days a week!!!

Comment by Kristin – August 21, 2012 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was really hoping for josh groban

Comment by Jake – August 21, 2012 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really liked Josh too.

Comment by Sue – August 22, 2012 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I mean, I was rooting for Michael Buckley.

Comment by Theresa – August 21, 2012 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • amen! i thought he was supposed to stick around longer? i’m disappointed, michael buckley is hilarious!

Comment by destiny – August 22, 2012 02:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know! I loved Michael Buckley =\

Comment by joeycron – August 22, 2012 07:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am happy for Michael! I love how funny he is and I thought Kelly and he paired well. Looking forward to the new season! Welcome Michael!

Comment by Nancy – August 21, 2012 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is doesn’t have that “WOW” great choice feel when like it did when Kelly was announced as the new host next to Regis. No offense to Strahan. He was good with Kelly. This feel more like the best of the mediocre bunch. Really, the only choice that would have been totally great would be to have REGIS back. but that is dreaming.

Comment by Meme Ryan – August 21, 2012 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Josh Groban was so funny and I really thought he had the best chemistry with Kelly.

Comment by Emma – August 21, 2012 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly anyone other that Neil Patrick Harris is disappointing. (And yes, I understand that was never going to happen due to his commitment to HIMYM but a girl can dream)

Comment by renee – August 21, 2012 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was hoping for Seth. I like Michael, but not on a daily basis. I don’t think I’ll be tuning in as much now.

Comment by Jill – August 21, 2012 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Double Duty For Strahan! Love him on FDox!! Thought he wasn’t even in the running. Probably third best choose after Seth Myers and NPH!!

Comment by Jerry Lubliner – August 21, 2012 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t watch the show because she is too annoying, but I do really like Michael Strahan. I wish him well.

Comment by Renee – August 21, 2012 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE Michael Starhan as Kelly’s new co- host! He’s willing to do anything including dancing in his undies!

Comment by Mary – August 21, 2012 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome. While he might not have been my first pick, I think he works well with Kelly. Plus, Seth Meyers is annoying as he!! (pretty much everyone from SNL’s past 20 years is). Glad to know that I can still watch the show and be entertained!

Groban would have sucked too.

Comment by Drew – August 21, 2012 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s like Mutt and Jeff. Nothing against Michael, but I just don’t see him doing all that chit chat and games and stuff. Maybe for a week here and there, but every day? I just don’t see it. Hopefully, it will be great and he’ll enjoy it.

Comment by John MS – August 21, 2012 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Started watching with the count down and until now. Really wanted Josh. I am not a football fan so will have more time

Comment by linda – August 21, 2012 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael is an excellent choice! Seth was not going to leave SNL right now, folks hoping for NPH and Anderson Cooper should just give it a rest. And Grobin a good choice but sort of boring. Michael is a good fit. They play off one another very well. I will admit I don’t watch all the time, but I was also one of those whose people who thought Ann Curry was the wrong choice for the Today show (although they did treat her badly with that horrible excuse for an exit/firing)

Comment by Butters – August 21, 2012 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like them together. He’s very funny, tells a good story, keeps up with Kelly. He won me over the many times he was on. Others would’ve been good but really Josh Groban (how could it be) or Joel McHale (how could it be; although he was never a contender but hilarious) or Anderson Cooper (how could it be)…Strahan was really my favorite.

Comment by Eric – August 21, 2012 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i will give him a chance but i really enjoyed seth meyers and kelly in the opening segments. seth is hysterical!

Comment by Jacqi – August 21, 2012 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seth is okay in small doses but on a everyday basis he gets annoying. I for one am glad they
      did not pick him. I think Kelly and Michael will be a good fit, time will tell.

Comment by Mary – August 22, 2012 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Out of the three listed I would pick Seth, he is fun to watch. Forget the other two!

Comment by sean – August 21, 2012 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Worst choice. He was my least favorite of the regulars. I just don’t buy the chemistry. Kelly seems more interested in his fiancee than him. I’m hoping this is just a rumor. If it’s not, at least I’ll have an hour back in my day.

Comment by ronni – August 21, 2012 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What\’s important for that cohost chat is a willingness ot share, be funny and have fun, as well as carry a running dialog. I liked both Seth Meyers and Strahan, but in the end I felt like it would tip toward Strahan because he has kids and those family stories are the driving force of that early morning time. He\’s great, he\’s fun, he\’s willing to do things. I was delightfully surprised at how well he\’s done after pre Regis moments. I look forward to it. Plus, Regis was always a great balance with the sports side of things, so it will be fun to see Michael put in areas other than football. He’s done great in the chit chat and games he’s been part of.

I\’m just ready for reruns to be over.

Comment by Jayne Morgan – August 21, 2012 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know Strahan was a big favorite but whenever I turned on the show and saw he was co-hosting I was always disappointed it wasn’t one of the other guys. My favorite part of the show has always been the host chat that happens before the trivia question but I do not think Kelly and Michael have that great of chemistry in that segment.

Comment by Amanda – August 21, 2012 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I’m disappointed. This is not a good idea. :(

Comment by Kim R – August 22, 2012 05:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really never watch but I would not imagine any of those final three a good match for this show. We need someone a little more well rounded – and all three of them would have strong points (sports, comedy, music) but I can’t see a long term role for them.

Comment by Brendan – August 21, 2012 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Blah blah blah. Not a fan of this news.

Comment by brandy – August 21, 2012 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never even watched Live! Before an I was rooting for Seth Myers I was gonna start watching it then I LOVE this decision so much more count me in as a new viewer tuning in for every EP!

Comment by Dean – August 22, 2012 12:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was never a fan of the show when Regis was the co-host and rarely watched. I’ve always found Phiblin to be a blithering idiot, to the point of being offensively stupid and I don’t think it was an act. As for Seth Meyers, he’s got the personality and appeal of overcooked spaghetti. Josh Groban was palatable, but for my taste, Strahan has the most personality and chemistry with Kelly. He really keeps her on her toes and I think their banter is far superior to that of any of the other try-outs. I also love the fact that an intelligent, funny, handsome man of color will be her co-host. It’s about time! Not that it should matter, but I’m white and I believe the morning landscape has been a white ghetto for way too long. Shame on the networks and congratulations ABC.

Comment by Elyse – August 22, 2012 01:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thankfully we have Access Hollywood Live with Billy Bush and Kit Hoover. Very funny, fast paced, witty, great guest stars. So forget Kelly. It’s hard to imagine they spent all this time looking for a Regie replacement to wind up with this boring combo.

Comment by Bob – August 22, 2012 03:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Eh, not exactly waiting on pins and needles for him to start…just hope it’s not the snooze fest I think it’s going to be :( really sad!!

Comment by Belle – August 22, 2012 05:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wives already “see” Strahan on the weekends while hubby watches football…not sure this wife wants to hear his voice 6 days a week. I can’t see him doing a long term gig – all that traveling from right to left coast every weekend in the fall, no way!!! I bet it’s a joke to throw us off the real new co-host :) TOM WELLING!!!!

Comment by Aryn – August 22, 2012 05:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder if all these naysayers have ever watched the show when Michael co-hosts. Kelly & Michael have a great rapport with each other. He’s also quite funny!

Comment by CB – August 22, 2012 05:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE this. Michael is just what this show needs.

Comment by Jme – August 22, 2012 06:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was really pulling for Seth Meyers. The week he co-hosted with Kelly actually had me looking forward to watching the show again. I originally liked Strahan but the more he was on, the more annoying he became. I won’t be watching anymore.

Comment by Steph – August 22, 2012 06:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll give them a shot. It’s not that I have anything against Strahan but I was really hoping for Nick Lachey. I think he was a great guest co-host.

Comment by Lauren – August 22, 2012 06:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll bet most of the people voting and commenting here don’t even watch the show. The two of them are great together. Michael Strahan and Josh Groban were at the top of my list.

Comment by Mimi – August 22, 2012 06:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The funny part about this is that the day after this news leaks, Live broadcasts a repeat with Seth Myers as the co-host….

Comment by David – August 22, 2012 06:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Pure coincidence…they’ve had this week’s line-up listed on their website since last week.

Comment by NYCfan – August 22, 2012 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Strahan will do okay and I am a Patriots fan!!! It will be tough during Fall early winter flying out on Sunday to make a Monday am telecast. But maybe he will take Mondays off during football season. Regis only worked 4 days.

Comment by forwarddad – August 22, 2012 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have watched Kelly with Josh, Seth and Michael and I think she has the most natural chemistry with Strahan. Any of them would have been a good choice, but for me Michael was the front runner.

Comment by LTA – August 22, 2012 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bleh. Not a fan one way or the other anymore. I used to really like Kelly but, not so much in recent years. She had good chemisty with Regis and I find her much more annoying without him. Maybe that was a perfect balance and that is difficult to find. I decide in the first 3-5 minutes if I am going to watch and since Regis left, I have hardly seen the show. Michael, Seth and Josh were okay when I saw them. But my favorite was Martin Short and the guy from Talk Soup.

Comment by Kristi – August 22, 2012 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post