It's (Sorta) Official! Michael Strahan Named Kelly Ripa's Permanent Live Co-Host

Michael Strahan Live With KellyLooks like Kelly Ripa can finally cancel her Google alert for “Notre Dame football” and replace it with one for “New York Giants.”

Ripa, who’s been the sole permanent host of Live With Kelly since Regis Philbin stepped down last November 18, will have an official partner in crime come Sept. 4 when she’s joined by former NFL star Michael Strahan on the season premiere of Live With Kelly & Michael, TVLine has confirmed.

A whopping 59 different men and women joined Ripa behind the Live desk following Philbin’s departure, but in recent weeks, the list of serious candidates was narrowed down to three: Strahan, SNL vet Seth Meyers, and classical singer Josh Groban.

Strahan’s Live duties reportedly won’t affect his role on Fox NFL Sunday. The news was first reported by Broadcasting & Cable.

Excited about this news, or were you rooting for someone else to get the gig? Sound off in the comments!

1. april-ann says:

I was rooting for Seth Myers but I’ll take Strahan with open arms.

2. Jared says:

Horrible decision!!

• april-ann says:

I really shouldn’t be commenting given the actual number of times I’ve watched since Regis left. I love Seth Myers for other things but really saw him only once with Kelly (he made her look better than she is, isn’t that what they need over there?). I’ve seen Strahan with her less than five times, it was a little boring but then so is the whole show now with or without Strahan. Curious Jared, why is it a horrible decision? Even though I don’t really watch anymore, I have to admit I’m still interested in what happens.

• Luminosity says:

Agreed! Nothing against Strahan (or Ripa) as a person, but Strahan & Ripa make a horrible combo.

• Lynn says:

I agree I think Kelly has made a big mistake, he does nothing for the show. I have seen many other great co- host, Kelly Please pick someone else. !!!!!!!!!!!!

3. David says:

I have watched Live for many, many years. That ends with this announcement.

4. Tiffany says:

He was the one I wanted least. I just don’t enjoy him as much as Seth Meyers. Having Strahan every once in a while was ok, but that full week with him was not enjoyable. Guess I’ll give him a chance but I can see me rushing home from dropping my son off at school a lot less now.

• april-ann says:

I hear you Tiffany. LOL and WOW. You brought back memories for me. Of dropping my certain little someone off at his school and hurrying back, cursing every red light, wondering if I’d make it in time to see the WHOLE host chat. It was back in 2001 when ABC would put out those promos about Kelly Ripa joining Regis for the day, for two days, for the week, for whatever, I was in. Now THAT was chemistry. For a morning show, that was chemistry at its best. It looks here like there was pressure to just name a co-host already, regardless of whether there was chemistry. This could be the beginning of the end, or as some would call it “remember that show with Regis?”…

5. Jennifer says:

I’m really done with this show now!

6. Linderella says:

I wasn’t a big fan of Regis – I may give the show a try!

7. Vicki says:

Not a great choice. It will make a barely watchable show totally unwatchable.

8. Renee says:

I loved Nick Lachey, he was there a bunch of times…

9. KND says:

I for one am happy about Michael joining. I was rooting for Michael or Nick. Seth was never going to leave SNL for a morning show so let it go people.

• april-ann says:

Maybe not JUST for a morning show but let’s face it: no one stays with SNL forever. Myers is young and could handle both for a while until something comes along for him (and it will) that makes him leave SNL, Strahan’s not quitting his “day” job for this either.

10. Gabby says:

……eh.
    Not really a fan of his. Once in a while is okay but he started getting on my nerves that full week. I myself was hoping for josh.

11. Lisa says:

Horrible decision. Can’t stand him on this show. I will not be watching anymore.

12. Laura says:

I don’t know why I am so opposed to this. I just don’t buy the chemistry. Doesn’t do it for me. Oh well, I needed an extra hour back in my life…

• Lynn says:

I agree no Chemistry at all. I never saw it. He just tries to hard, he is not funny. KELLY PICK SOMEONE ELSE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

13. Beth says:

Not a fan…. I was hoping for Seth Myers…. But I realize he was never going to leave SNL

14. Kristin says:

So excited! I’m a huge Giants fan. I love that Stray got the job. Would have been ok with Josh too. Didn’t eat Seth to get it, like him on SNL more. Strahan 6 days a week!!!

15. Jake says:

I was really hoping for josh groban

16. Theresa says:

I mean, I was rooting for Michael Buckley.

17. Nancy says:

I am happy for Michael! I love how funny he is and I thought Kelly and he paired well. Looking forward to the new season! Welcome Michael!

18. Meme Ryan says:

It is doesn’t have that “WOW” great choice feel when like it did when Kelly was announced as the new host next to Regis. No offense to Strahan. He was good with Kelly. This feel more like the best of the mediocre bunch. Really, the only choice that would have been totally great would be to have REGIS back. but that is dreaming.

19. Emma says:

Josh Groban was so funny and I really thought he had the best chemistry with Kelly.

20. renee says:

Honestly anyone other that Neil Patrick Harris is disappointing. (And yes, I understand that was never going to happen due to his commitment to HIMYM but a girl can dream)

21. Jill says:

I was hoping for Seth. I like Michael, but not on a daily basis. I don’t think I’ll be tuning in as much now.

22. Jerry Lubliner says:

Double Duty For Strahan! Love him on FDox!! Thought he wasn’t even in the running. Probably third best choose after Seth Myers and NPH!!

23. Renee says:

I don’t watch the show because she is too annoying, but I do really like Michael Strahan. I wish him well.

24. Mary says:

LOVE Michael Starhan as Kelly’s new co- host! He’s willing to do anything including dancing in his undies!

25. Drew says:

Awesome. While he might not have been my first pick, I think he works well with Kelly. Plus, Seth Meyers is annoying as he!! (pretty much everyone from SNL’s past 20 years is). Glad to know that I can still watch the show and be entertained!

Groban would have sucked too.

26. John MS says:

It’s like Mutt and Jeff. Nothing against Michael, but I just don’t see him doing all that chit chat and games and stuff. Maybe for a week here and there, but every day? I just don’t see it. Hopefully, it will be great and he’ll enjoy it.

27. linda says:

Started watching with the count down and until now. Really wanted Josh. I am not a football fan so will have more time

28. Butters says:

Michael is an excellent choice! Seth was not going to leave SNL right now, folks hoping for NPH and Anderson Cooper should just give it a rest. And Grobin a good choice but sort of boring. Michael is a good fit. They play off one another very well. I will admit I don’t watch all the time, but I was also one of those whose people who thought Ann Curry was the wrong choice for the Today show (although they did treat her badly with that horrible excuse for an exit/firing)

29. Eric says:

I really like them together. He’s very funny, tells a good story, keeps up with Kelly. He won me over the many times he was on. Others would’ve been good but really Josh Groban (how could it be) or Joel McHale (how could it be; although he was never a contender but hilarious) or Anderson Cooper (how could it be)…Strahan was really my favorite.

30. Jacqi says:

i will give him a chance but i really enjoyed seth meyers and kelly in the opening segments. seth is hysterical!

• Mary says:

Seth is okay in small doses but on a everyday basis he gets annoying. I for one am glad they
      did not pick him. I think Kelly and Michael will be a good fit, time will tell.

31. sean says:

Out of the three listed I would pick Seth, he is fun to watch. Forget the other two!

32. ronni says:

Worst choice. He was my least favorite of the regulars. I just don’t buy the chemistry. Kelly seems more interested in his fiancee than him. I’m hoping this is just a rumor. If it’s not, at least I’ll have an hour back in my day.

33. Jayne Morgan says:

What\’s important for that cohost chat is a willingness ot share, be funny and have fun, as well as carry a running dialog. I liked both Seth Meyers and Strahan, but in the end I felt like it would tip toward Strahan because he has kids and those family stories are the driving force of that early morning time. He\’s great, he\’s fun, he\’s willing to do things. I was delightfully surprised at how well he\’s done after pre Regis moments. I look forward to it. Plus, Regis was always a great balance with the sports side of things, so it will be fun to see Michael put in areas other than football. He’s done great in the chit chat and games he’s been part of.

I\’m just ready for reruns to be over.

34. Amanda says:

I know Strahan was a big favorite but whenever I turned on the show and saw he was co-hosting I was always disappointed it wasn’t one of the other guys. My favorite part of the show has always been the host chat that happens before the trivia question but I do not think Kelly and Michael have that great of chemistry in that segment.

35. Brendan says:

I really never watch but I would not imagine any of those final three a good match for this show. We need someone a little more well rounded – and all three of them would have strong points (sports, comedy, music) but I can’t see a long term role for them.

36. brandy says:

Blah blah blah. Not a fan of this news.

37. Dean says:

I never even watched Live! Before an I was rooting for Seth Myers I was gonna start watching it then I LOVE this decision so much more count me in as a new viewer tuning in for every EP!

38. Elyse says:

I was never a fan of the show when Regis was the co-host and rarely watched. I’ve always found Phiblin to be a blithering idiot, to the point of being offensively stupid and I don’t think it was an act. As for Seth Meyers, he’s got the personality and appeal of overcooked spaghetti. Josh Groban was palatable, but for my taste, Strahan has the most personality and chemistry with Kelly. He really keeps her on her toes and I think their banter is far superior to that of any of the other try-outs. I also love the fact that an intelligent, funny, handsome man of color will be her co-host. It’s about time! Not that it should matter, but I’m white and I believe the morning landscape has been a white ghetto for way too long. Shame on the networks and congratulations ABC.

39. Bob says:

Thankfully we have Access Hollywood Live with Billy Bush and Kit Hoover. Very funny, fast paced, witty, great guest stars. So forget Kelly. It’s hard to imagine they spent all this time looking for a Regie replacement to wind up with this boring combo.

40. Belle says:

Eh, not exactly waiting on pins and needles for him to start…just hope it’s not the snooze fest I think it’s going to be :( really sad!!

41. Aryn says:

Wives already “see” Strahan on the weekends while hubby watches football…not sure this wife wants to hear his voice 6 days a week. I can’t see him doing a long term gig – all that traveling from right to left coast every weekend in the fall, no way!!! I bet it’s a joke to throw us off the real new co-host :) TOM WELLING!!!!

42. CB says:

I wonder if all these naysayers have ever watched the show when Michael co-hosts. Kelly & Michael have a great rapport with each other. He’s also quite funny!

43. Jme says:

LOVE this. Michael is just what this show needs.

44. Steph says:

I was really pulling for Seth Meyers. The week he co-hosted with Kelly actually had me looking forward to watching the show again. I originally liked Strahan but the more he was on, the more annoying he became. I won’t be watching anymore.

45. Lauren says:

I’ll give them a shot. It’s not that I have anything against Strahan but I was really hoping for Nick Lachey. I think he was a great guest co-host.

46. Mimi says:

I’ll bet most of the people voting and commenting here don’t even watch the show. The two of them are great together. Michael Strahan and Josh Groban were at the top of my list.

47. David says:

The funny part about this is that the day after this news leaks, Live broadcasts a repeat with Seth Myers as the co-host….

48. forwarddad says:

I think Strahan will do okay and I am a Patriots fan!!! It will be tough during Fall early winter flying out on Sunday to make a Monday am telecast. But maybe he will take Mondays off during football season. Regis only worked 4 days.

49. LTA says:

I have watched Kelly with Josh, Seth and Michael and I think she has the most natural chemistry with Strahan. Any of them would have been a good choice, but for me Michael was the front runner.

50. Kristi says:

Bleh. Not a fan one way or the other anymore. I used to really like Kelly but, not so much in recent years. She had good chemisty with Regis and I find her much more annoying without him. Maybe that was a perfect balance and that is difficult to find. I decide in the first 3-5 minutes if I am going to watch and since Regis left, I have hardly seen the show. Michael, Seth and Josh were okay when I saw them. But my favorite was Martin Short and the guy from Talk Soup.