Jimmy Kimmel Live Moving to 11:35, Giving Letterman and Leno a Run For Late-Night Ratings

Jimmy Kimmel Live Time ChangeIt’s been a good year for Jimmy Kimmel: First he high-fives the President, and now he finally gets to go head-to-head with the kings of late night.

ABC announced Tuesday that Jimmy Kimmel Live will move to 11:35 pm weeknights instead of the 12:05 (and recently, midnight) slot the show has held since it debuted in 2003.

RELATED | Emmy Host Jimmy Kimmel Previews This Year’s Ceremony: ‘I Want It to Be Jazzy’

Kimmel’s move will take place on Monday, January 7, and will put Jimmy Kimmel Live in direct competition with CBS’ Late Show With David Letterman and NBC’s The Tonight Show With Jay Leno.

Nightline, which currently airs in the post-local news spot, will be shown at 12:35 am. The network also will air the national news digest in primetime at 9 pm on Fridays, starting March 1.

RELATED | Video: Kimmel’s Tearful Tribute to Uncle Frank

The bump is the latest in a series of successes for Kimmel: He scored big with his perfect-pitch set at the White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner in April, he’s seen a recent increase in ratings and he’s slated to host the Emmy Awards for the first time in September.

Comments (16)

• Hope he does well.

Comment by TigerNightmare – August 21, 2012 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is fantastic news his is the best late night talk show on. So happy for him and the show!!

Comment by Doreen – August 21, 2012 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve always felt ABC never had confidence in Kimmel to go against Leno and Letterman. Finally he gets his chance. Glad ABC did this. He’s now my favorite 11:35 host.

Comment by Esaul – August 21, 2012 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Plus he just got engaged. This is great news!

Comment by TV Gord – August 21, 2012 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am excited about this news. I am always sad when Kimmel is starting right when I go to bed. I will definitely be watching in January. Kimmel is younger and funnier than Leno or Letterman so I think he will do well.

Comment by Nicole – August 21, 2012 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fantastic news. Good luck to him.

Comment by meem – August 21, 2012 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still too late for me.

Comment by BillK – August 21, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is great for Jimmy. I love watching him. Here in MN the ABC affiliate pushes him back a 1/2 hour & used to be an hour. It’ll be interesting if they will allow him on right after the local news.

Comment by Jill – August 21, 2012 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • KSTP ( Minneapolis) is extending their local news program! Ugh! Jimmy Kimmel will air at 11:05! This and their hour long New Years edition of Twin Cities Live instead of DC’s NYE from 10:30 to 11:30 makes me wonder who’s steering the ship.

Comment by JimboJr – January 1, 2013 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What is happening with 20/20?

Comment by Mark – August 21, 2012 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s my choice out of the 3.
    Good Luck, Jimmy!

Comment by Eliza – August 21, 2012 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I could never get into his show and I don’t know why because I always found him funny before then. Even if I catch it when he has on a guest I like, I still don’t like it. But I find the shakeup interesting not only for the earlier shows but if it affects Jimmy Fallon & Craig Ferguson as well. Will still be recording Stewart & Colbert every night and I may be in the minority, but growing up in NY I have and will always love Letterman. Can’t explain it. He just cracks me up.

Comment by Deena – August 21, 2012 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That picture is airbrushed so much it hurts. Good for him though!

Comment by Matt – August 21, 2012 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Congrats to Jimmy. His show is better now that Leno and Letterman (“major” Dave fan, but he has been phoning in his hosting as of late). But, very sad news for the “Nighline” team for all their hard work, even though ABC says the network will give them a Friday night slot in addition to staying on the air. Great ratings for the “Nightline” show for several years — but it still means demoted.

Comment by buddyglenn@yahoo.com – August 21, 2012 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • at least Nightline isn’t going off the air!!! :)

Comment by Jeffrey R Marks – November 26, 2012 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post