Family Ties Redux? Michael J. Fox Returning to NBC in Fall 2013 as Star of New Family Sitcom

Get More: News

What would NBC do, baby, without Michael J. Fox?

Three decades after Family Ties’ debut on the Peacock network, NBC bypassed the pilot process altogether and ordered 22 episodes of a new semi-autobiographical family sitcom starring the former Alex P. Keaton.

Written by Cougar Town scribe Sam Laybourne and produced by Will Gluck (The Loop), the New York-based single-camera comedy — which sparked a heated bidding war among nearly all the major broadcast networks — will find Fox playing a husband and father of three dealing with family, career, and challenges (including Parkinson’s) all loosely based on the actor’s life.

“To bring Michael J. Fox back to NBC is a supreme honor and we are thrilled that one of the great comedic television stars is coming home again,” said NBC president Robert Greenblatt in a statement. “From the moment we met with Michael to hear his unique point of view about this new show, we were completely captivated and on board. He is utterly relatable, optimistic, and in a class by himself, and I have no doubt that the character he will create — and the vivid family characters surrounding him — will be both instantly recognizable and hilarious. Being in business with him is a supreme pleasure.”

Added Fox: “I’m extremely pleased to be back at NBC with a great creative team and a great show. Bob Greenblatt and all the folks at the network have given me a warm welcome home, and I’m excited to get to work.”

This will mark Fox’s first full-time series gig since he passed the Spin City reins on to Charlie Sheen in 2000.

Comments (29)

• Wow! 22 episodes right of the gate?

Comment by George – August 20, 2012 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NBC makes such gambles.. and they rarely work out. This will either sink or swim, there won’t be an inbetween.

Comment by Danielle H – August 20, 2012 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s MIchael J. Fox, of course it will work out, he is awesome as ever!

Comment by EveatEden – December 23, 2012 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh what a tease! I thought you meant he was coming back to TV as Alex P. Keaton. That would be EPIC! According to his final episode of Spin City, Keaton became a Senator.

Comment by Michael – August 20, 2012 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YEAH!!!! I love Michael and cannot wait to see him back on my TV screen

Comment by Starmaiden – August 20, 2012 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To order 22 episodes immediately means it’ll be that much funnier when the show is cancelled after 3 weeks (it is NBC after all). To be honest, though, I love Michael and I really hope this show works out for him.

Comment by Bea – August 20, 2012 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s NBC – they are going to EFF up the scheduling. Sorry MJF, your show doesn’t stand a chance on the Peacock

Comment by Kristen – August 21, 2012 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on TV Addict.

Comment by Aaron M Zaffuto – August 20, 2012 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This will work just as ordering 22 episodes of the firm before it even aired

Comment by Nick – August 20, 2012 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love MJF but I don’t see any way his condition will allow him to handle that kind of workload. I hate to say it but I think this will be over before it starts.

Comment by Walkie – August 20, 2012 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This was my thought. I see all the posts of excited people, and it is great that his new meds are helping, but seriously I would hate to see his health suffer so he can get back on TV. The last few shows I saw him on he looked like he was really struggling with the ticks. I haven’t seen him on The Good Wife though to see if he has improved a lot. Personally I would rather see him rest and live as long as he can for his family and continue fundraising for a cure. Whether or not he is on TV doesn’t matter to me and seems kinda selfish.

Comment by Chuck Finley (AJ) – August 20, 2012 11:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Just from my own reading, I think there’s something about single-camera comedies that make them less work than hour-long dramas. I don’t know the specifics, and there’s obviously still work involved, but maybe the specific type of show will be a good fit for Michael.

I agree with the poster who was wishing Michael was playing Alex P. Keaton. Reboots are all the rage these days. I would have loved to check in on APK thirty years later and see what he’s up to.

I wish Michael well, but I am somewhat bummed that NBC seems to be picking off guest stars from The Good Wife. First Matthew Perry and now Michael J. Fox.

Comment by Andrea – August 21, 2012 06:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about the good wife?

Comment by Susan – August 20, 2012 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This should be good. I can’t imagine that Michael J Fox would agree to do a sitcom that was anything less than spectacular.

Comment by Mark – August 20, 2012 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC better give this show a chance and not air it after the office or at 10:00. im thinking thursday at 9:00 or tuesdays at 9:00.

Comment by ed – August 20, 2012 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael J. Fox is a good guy, I wish him luck in his new endeavor.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – August 20, 2012 09:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope he can still guest-star on The Good Wife.

Comment by nikki – August 20, 2012 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can he still be a guest star on The Good Wife? At least, once or twice a year? Louis Canning is such a fantastic character.

Comment by qwe89 – August 21, 2012 12:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m pretty sure this show just automatically tripled NBC’s ratings for Fall 2013.

Comment by KSM – August 21, 2012 07:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Agree this was a misleaing headline-this show is NOT family Ties redux. Between this and giving Mockingbird Lane a chance, I might actally watch NBC again, for the first time in years.

Comment by suzi – August 21, 2012 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would watch………..EXCEPT IT IS ON NBC and I’m boycotting NBC because of their TERRIBLE scheduling and choices in shows. And I’m still pissed they took The Firm off the air.

Comment by Kristen – August 21, 2012 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think he’ll be on TGW this year but that’s it… TGW is a good choice for him since he’s a NY’er as well… All depends how they shoot this show..

Comment by Doug-H – August 21, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll watch MJF in anything. He was hysterical playing “himself” on Curb.

Comment by Tara Green (@Tarasoleil) – August 22, 2012 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so unbelievably excited about this! I hope NBC does this right! MJF was such an enormous part of many of our childhoods and memories. I really hope young people will now get a chance to see what we “gen-x-ers” did as kids :) Go Michael!

Comment by kristen – September 1, 2012 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Way to go NBC !! Awesome news

Comment by Susan Davis – February 12, 2013 06:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it is a great idea. Hope to see some of Michael’s previous co=stars!

Comment by dvistuba@gmail.com – February 27, 2013 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also, I am wondering if Alex P Keaton is going to play a Democrat or a Republican? I guess he will still be a republican.

Comment by dvistuba@gmail.com – February 27, 2013 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post