Kelly Ripa's New Co-Host Officially Goes Live on Sept. 4 — Who Will It Be?

Live With Kelly will transform into Live With Kelly and… someone… on Sept. 4, when Kelly Ripa‘s new full-time co-host is revealed.

Since November of last year, following Regis Philbin’s departure from the long-running daytime talker, 59 different men and women have sat alongside Ripa as guest co-hosts — and it is one of those people who will be anointed her new steady.

RELATED | Daytime Dish: The Price Is Right Invites Male Models to Come On Down!

Saturday Night Live‘s Seth Meyers, who recently enjoyed a full-week stint on Live, was rumored earlier this summer to be a lock for the gig (and he subsequently pooh-poohed the prognostication). Or was that only so much spin? Former NFL star Michael Strahan and recording artist Josh Groban were also said to be on the short list.

Ripa will host Live by her lonesome on Monday, Sept. 3, before introducing her new partner the next day. That first installment of Live With Kelly and…. someone will welcome guests Claire Danes (Homeland) and American Idol Season 12 champ Phillip Phillips.

Comments (77)

• I would love it if Micheal Buckley got it, especially after the success he had after winning the audience vote.

Comment by Liam Tait – August 20, 2012 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I haven’t seen anyone “trying out” who dampens Kelly’s annoying characteristics: she thinks she’s a lot more adorable than she actually is (she’s cute, but not THAT cute), and she has a truly annoying habit of fawning over the guests–every guest is “terrific” in every project, and gorgeous, and wonderful, and beloved by everyone, etc. Unfortunately, all of the male guest hosts have followed her lead–which means the show isn’t the unpredictably tart production it used to be. I’m not saying it’s unwatchable–but it has been thoroughly average.

Comment by CJ – August 20, 2012 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with CJ, except Kelly’s annoying habit is EVERYTHING is about her. Sometimes those “wonderful” guests can’t even get a word in because all she does is talk about herself–barf!
        & I wish she’d cover up those “man-arms” of hers–gross. Honestly, I feel for whomever has to co-host with her. It cannot be an easy job to work along side someone that in love with them self. Good luck!

Comment by penny – August 21, 2012 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Must be that your jealous of “those man-arms”!!!!

Comment by maggie may – September 3, 2012 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I want it to be Nick Lachey !!!!! For sure he and Kelly are so good together !!! He is also a great host.

Comment by janet – August 20, 2012 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tom Welling ;) It doesn’t hurt to dream :p

Comment by ChalexFan – August 20, 2012 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love your dream!!! lol I miss Tom Welling!!!

Comment by jenny – August 21, 2012 03:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ahhhh, that would be a fantastic dream to relive each day of the week over, and over, and over :)

Comment by Belle – August 21, 2012 06:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This would be perfect for Tina Fey seeing as 30 Rock is over at the end of this year. If only they’d waited a little longer… Sigh…

Comment by Jarrod – August 20, 2012 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You must be kidding, Fey is a total drip.

Comment by Alan – August 20, 2012 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Back of Tina Fey. She was amazing on SNL and still continues to be an extraordinary TV personality.

Comment by Jarrod – August 20, 2012 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kelly & Tina…nah, Kelly needs a male co-host!!

Comment by Belle – August 21, 2012 06:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think the producers want someone with CLASS, leaving Tina Fey off the list of possibilities

Comment by Gardener – September 4, 2012 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whom?

Comment by Catalina (@cmcandela) – August 20, 2012 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @Catalina, “whom” is correct.

Comment by david – August 20, 2012 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Is it? “Kelly Ripa’s new cohost” is the subject not the object. I don’t know… it just sounded off.

Comment by Catalina (@cmcandela) – August 20, 2012 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Actually, though WHOM passed the usual litmus test — “It will be him/her!” — this is an instance where WHO is the proper way to go. Edited!

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – August 20, 2012 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Except your litmus test appears wrong too. “It will be he” is correct, even though it sounds wrong to most people.

Of course, one can debate what one means by “correct.” If 90% of people would say “it will be him,” does that in and of itself make it correct? Depends on who you ask, I imagine.

Comment by Kevin – August 20, 2012 09:02 AM PDT
    • “Who”. The verb “to be” takes the nominative, not the objective case.

Comment by Allen – August 20, 2012 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Even though this has been incredibly off topic, this grammar debate has made my day…and it is “it would be he/she” because if you switched the word placement, you would say “he/she got the job” not “him/her got the job.” YAY!!! I <3 English!!!

Comment by Mo – August 21, 2012 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If I was a betting man I’d bet it’s Strahan.He’s the most available,he’s good at it,and he’s a good foil for her.They need someone who is different enough,not a second Kelly or a second Regis.Right now though I’m wondering if it’s all repeats/prerecorded until then seeing as how it is today and was all last week.

Comment by dg – August 20, 2012 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hmmmmm…..I hope whomever it is, they can encourage Kelly to stop saying “um”. :) It’s making me crazy!! :)

Comment by Kim R – August 20, 2012 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael Buckley!

Comment by Kristy – August 20, 2012 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m hoping for my favorite, Michael Strahan. I love them together. Fingers crossed. #TeamStrahan

Comment by LMSO – August 20, 2012 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can now let the cat out of the bag…it’s me.

Comment by octopus – August 20, 2012 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL.

Comment by lll – August 20, 2012 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Live with Kelly and Octopus” (or “Octopus and Kelly”)? I’d watch that :D.

Comment by Angela – August 20, 2012 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael Strahan or Nick Lachey. Not acceting anything less.

Comment by lll – August 20, 2012 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well I was hoping for Nick Lachey or Jerry O’Connell but O’Connell has a show coming out this fall and Lachey seems to be reuniting with 98 degrees.

Comment by Amanda – August 20, 2012 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All you need to do is a about a week and half before the 4th check the guide on DirecTv, most likely it will show the new hosts name in the title.

Comment by David – August 20, 2012 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish Joel McHale could do it. So funny.

Comment by Stephanie – August 20, 2012 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you 100%. :)

Comment by robinepowell – August 20, 2012 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Totally.

Comment by Kim R – August 20, 2012 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would definitely watch that show. Oh, yes.

Comment by Angela – August 20, 2012 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It better be either Michael Strahan or Nick Lachey.

Comment by Betsy – August 20, 2012 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Micheal Buckley he completely deserves it he killed it during the coast to coast search, and the whole week of challenges and his one day on there he is so perfect for the job.

Comment by J Fur – August 20, 2012 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like him as well BUT no way will they chance sitting someone in that seat from just ONE performance. I thought he would come back periodically but they made a decision now.

Comment by maggie may – September 3, 2012 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • josh groban is hilarious and surprisingly a perfect fit.

Comment by sam – August 20, 2012 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nick Lachey would not make a good host because he can’t really think on his feet or put any emotion into the role. He was horrible when hosting NBC’s “The Sing-Off.” Perhaps it was the writing, but he was undeniably corny and annoying. I would be very surprised if Buckley gets it as he is a relative unknown in the TV world and was only on the show once (we all know Kelly was on a soap before and she co-hosted numerous times before being added to the show). The top three list TVLine posted a few months ago still stands, in my opinion, as the best combination of candidates for the job: Seth Meyers (challenged Kelly a lot during his week there and made fun of her, but SNL’s got him), Josh Groban (truly funny, but I feel as though his concert schedule would get in the way), and Michael Strahan (very funny and probably the most available). We shall see…

Comment by Travis – August 20, 2012 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Walter White

Comment by Bart – August 20, 2012 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Brilliant!!

Comment by Hoobastank – August 20, 2012 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would rather she had different co-hosts. Too bad they think they need a steady one

Comment by Irene – August 20, 2012 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 11 hours ago
    Former NFL defensive lineman and Fox NFL Sunday TV analyst has put his walk street townhome on the market

Comment by Louise – August 20, 2012 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Nick Lachey??

Comment by Annie – August 20, 2012 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Joel McHale was in the running, I’d pick him for sure. ;)

Comment by robinepowell – August 20, 2012 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone but Seacrest! Seriously, can anyone handle any more of that guy? I’ve had enough for several lifetimes.

Comment by David – August 20, 2012 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d have voted for Anderson Cooper (if he were available) or NPH.

Comment by BTM – August 20, 2012 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I with you too bad they are not available. They both have great rapport with Kelly. I guess I am the only one who does not like Seth Meyer.

Comment by Mary – August 20, 2012 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You are not alone, I don’t care for Seth Meyers either. I’m hoping it’s Michael Strahan

Comment by Nancy – August 20, 2012 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i vote seth meyers. love him. i watch almost everyday now, but when he is on i don’t fast forward thru the opening segment. :)

Comment by Jacqi – August 20, 2012 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that Kelly’s new co host might be either Neil Patrick Harris, Derek Hough , Jim Parsons, Matthew Morrison

Comment by Brian Nussbaum – August 20, 2012 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Except all of those guys already have steady jobs?

Comment by Really? – August 20, 2012 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Is Ryan Seacrest the only one allowed to have more than one job?

Comment by mary – August 20, 2012 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Of course not, but their regular gigs are in Hollywood, not NY.

Comment by Cathy – August 21, 2012 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really want Michael Strahan. As the Kelly co-host. Yeah, that’s what I meant! lol I think he’s been great, and I would definitely tune in to watch him. I mean, them. Ha!

Comment by PickMichaelStrahan – August 20, 2012 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really only make a point to watch when it’s Nick Lachey, Josh Groban, or Jerry O’Connell. We’ll see on Sept. 4th (my sister’s birthday) whether I will make a point to keep watching or if I’ll check in once in a while for guests that I consider a “must-see.”

Comment by Brenda – August 20, 2012 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I vote for Joel McHale! No way on M. Strahan! When he speaks he sounds like he has a mouth full of food. He is too fake for me, tries to hard to be “funny”.

Comment by sec – August 20, 2012 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would have said Nick Lachey before today. I watched this morning and after the pepper incident it was a boring host chat. Jerry has been good when I have seen him but with the Munsters remake I don’t see that happening. I have liked Michael Buble also when he filled in but I don’t think he is in the running or available. AC and NPH are probably the best but they don’t have time for it. I rarely watch so it will have to be somebody good to get me to tune in.

Comment by jba – August 20, 2012 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Joel McHale is the best, but I believe both Community & Talk Soup are shot in LA so I don’t see that happening. I also like Seth Meyers, then Josh. Nick is OK, but just OK. I agree that Strahan tries too hard and doesn’t succeed in making me laugh. I don’t dislike him, but of the candidates he’s my least favorite and would annoy me the most. I’m also fine w/rotating cohosts, but obviously that’s not happening.

Comment by jsnj – August 20, 2012 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Only Josh Groban should be Kelly’s cohost and let him sing sometimes. He is so great! Everybody wants him!

Comment by Susie Quail – August 20, 2012 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NICK LACHEY PLEASE???

Comment by Gigi – August 20, 2012 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tom Welling and Kelly Ripa definitely have chemistry… She even joked that he was sizing up Regis’s chair last time he was on the show… and he’s available…

Comment by jake – August 20, 2012 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You guys are getting my hopes up…I have missed seeing Tom on my TV on a regular basis! I think he’s a natural and would totally compliment Kelly and those famous people would really enjoy chatting with him :)

Comment by Belle – August 21, 2012 06:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mario Cantone!

Comment by stewart – August 21, 2012 05:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really wish it would be Jeff Probst or Anderson Cooper – too bad they each have their own shows…give me some NPH, once How I Met Your Mother is done HE’D BE AWESOME!!!!!!

Comment by Belle – August 21, 2012 06:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Would be totally hilarious if it were Clay Aiken…remember how peeved Kelly got with him for using his hand to cover her mouth his last (final) time gues co-hosting…lol

Comment by Belle – August 21, 2012 06:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Joel McHale is hilarious!

Comment by sasha – August 21, 2012 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHO cares? She stinks. Regardless of what is said to the contrary, they fired the man who MADE that show great—REGIS PHILBIN, kicked out before his time.

Comment by Marie – August 21, 2012 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gossip cop and Espn confirmed its Strahan!!! I’m so excited!!!

Comment by Kristin – August 21, 2012 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The old Regis and Kelly Show was good because of the contrasts between the co-hosts. Regis was the old pro and Kelly was the “with it” half of the team. I like that dynamic and I’m sorry the producers didn’t test some different age groups. The new co-host doesn’t have to be more than ten years older than Kelly to be the more wise and calm influence/foil to her. I like the men who are the front-runners but most are too much like Kelly and so there isn’t much of a spark. NPH is good because he seems older than she and is more worldly. For what it’s worth, I do miss Kelly’s reparte with Regis and I think that “magic” could have been recreated and reinvented. I think a co-host that is too similar in age and personality will get a little boring.

Comment by P Shack – August 21, 2012 08:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 8-22 JUST SAW WHERE, THEY SAID THE NEW HOST HAD LEAKE OUIT AND IT WAS MICHAEL…. IT THAT TRUE

Comment by RITA R – August 22, 2012 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • let’s face it there is no replacing regis the show will never be the same but………..michael is the best choice for the job for lots of reasons availability first and foremost……….i feel the two have a nice chemistry , they’re very close in age which in turn can bring in a new fresh younger audience at the same time keeping the diehard fans that have stuck by kelly in her search to find a new co-host.I wish Michael all the best ur filling a pair of shoes that takes a confident man and i think your the man for the job.perhaps there can be a new twist on the show a little something in the regular format that you can bring to the table and make yours!!!!!!!!!!!Keep on smiling,gap and all.

Comment by Dee Funfgeld – September 2, 2012 10:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why is kellt still on the air, She is to fake for tv. No humor at all. you need a leader not a follower.

Comment by jim – September 3, 2012 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KELLY RIPA – YOU DONT NEED A CO-HOST . CHOOSE YOUR OWN. A NEW HOST WOULD WORK EVERY 2 DAY OR WHAT EVER WORKS.

Comment by POPPY – September 4, 2012 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for sharing your thoughts on teen pregnancy signs. Regards

Comment by Alva – October 21, 2012 03:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post