Kelly Ripa's New Co-Host Officially Goes Live on Sept. 4 -- Who Will It Be?

Live With Kelly will transform into Live With Kelly and… someone… on Sept. 4, when Kelly Ripa‘s new full-time co-host is revealed.

Since November of last year, following Regis Philbin’s departure from the long-running daytime talker, 59 different men and women have sat alongside Ripa as guest co-hosts — and it is one of those people who will be anointed her new steady.

RELATED | Daytime Dish: The Price Is Right Invites Male Models to Come On Down!

Saturday Night Live‘s Seth Meyers, who recently enjoyed a full-week stint on Live, was rumored earlier this summer to be a lock for the gig (and he subsequently pooh-poohed the prognostication). Or was that only so much spin? Former NFL star Michael Strahan and recording artist Josh Groban were also said to be on the short list.

Ripa will host Live by her lonesome on Monday, Sept. 3, before introducing her new partner the next day. That first installment of Live With Kelly and…. someone will welcome guests Claire Danes (Homeland) and American Idol Season 12 champ Phillip Phillips.

1. Liam Tait says:

I would love it if Micheal Buckley got it, especially after the success he had after winning the audience vote.

• CJ says:

I haven’t seen anyone “trying out” who dampens Kelly’s annoying characteristics: she thinks she’s a lot more adorable than she actually is (she’s cute, but not THAT cute), and she has a truly annoying habit of fawning over the guests–every guest is “terrific” in every project, and gorgeous, and wonderful, and beloved by everyone, etc. Unfortunately, all of the male guest hosts have followed her lead–which means the show isn’t the unpredictably tart production it used to be. I’m not saying it’s unwatchable–but it has been thoroughly average.

• penny says:

I agree with CJ, except Kelly’s annoying habit is EVERYTHING is about her. Sometimes those “wonderful” guests can’t even get a word in because all she does is talk about herself–barf!
        & I wish she’d cover up those “man-arms” of hers–gross. Honestly, I feel for whomever has to co-host with her. It cannot be an easy job to work along side someone that in love with them self. Good luck!

• janet says:

I want it to be Nick Lachey !!!!! For sure he and Kelly are so good together !!! He is also a great host.

2. ChalexFan says:

Tom Welling ;) It doesn’t hurt to dream :p

3. Jarrod says:

This would be perfect for Tina Fey seeing as 30 Rock is over at the end of this year. If only they’d waited a little longer… Sigh…

• david says:

@Catalina, “whom” is correct.

• Is it? “Kelly Ripa’s new cohost” is the subject not the object. I don’t know… it just sounded off.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Actually, though WHOM passed the usual litmus test — “It will be him/her!” — this is an instance where WHO is the proper way to go. Edited!

• Kevin says:

Except your litmus test appears wrong too. “It will be he” is correct, even though it sounds wrong to most people.

Of course, one can debate what one means by “correct.” If 90% of people would say “it will be him,” does that in and of itself make it correct? Depends on who you ask, I imagine.

• Allen says:

“Who”. The verb “to be” takes the nominative, not the objective case.

• Mo says:

Even though this has been incredibly off topic, this grammar debate has made my day…and it is “it would be he/she” because if you switched the word placement, you would say “he/she got the job” not “him/her got the job.” YAY!!! I <3 English!!!

4. dg says:

If I was a betting man I’d bet it’s Strahan.He’s the most available,he’s good at it,and he’s a good foil for her.They need someone who is different enough,not a second Kelly or a second Regis.Right now though I’m wondering if it’s all repeats/prerecorded until then seeing as how it is today and was all last week.

5. Kim R says:

Hmmmmm…..I hope whomever it is, they can encourage Kelly to stop saying “um”. :) It’s making me crazy!! :)

6. Kristy says:

Michael Buckley!

7. LMSO says:

I’m hoping for my favorite, Michael Strahan. I love them together. Fingers crossed. #TeamStrahan

8. octopus says:

I can now let the cat out of the bag…it’s me.

9. lll says:

Michael Strahan or Nick Lachey. Not acceting anything less.

10. Amanda says:

Well I was hoping for Nick Lachey or Jerry O’Connell but O’Connell has a show coming out this fall and Lachey seems to be reuniting with 98 degrees.

11. David says:

All you need to do is a about a week and half before the 4th check the guide on DirecTv, most likely it will show the new hosts name in the title.

12. Stephanie says:

I wish Joel McHale could do it. So funny.

13. Betsy says:

It better be either Michael Strahan or Nick Lachey.

14. J Fur says:

Micheal Buckley he completely deserves it he killed it during the coast to coast search, and the whole week of challenges and his one day on there he is so perfect for the job.

• maggie may says:

I like him as well BUT no way will they chance sitting someone in that seat from just ONE performance. I thought he would come back periodically but they made a decision now.

15. sam says:

josh groban is hilarious and surprisingly a perfect fit.

16. Travis says:

Nick Lachey would not make a good host because he can’t really think on his feet or put any emotion into the role. He was horrible when hosting NBC’s “The Sing-Off.” Perhaps it was the writing, but he was undeniably corny and annoying. I would be very surprised if Buckley gets it as he is a relative unknown in the TV world and was only on the show once (we all know Kelly was on a soap before and she co-hosted numerous times before being added to the show). The top three list TVLine posted a few months ago still stands, in my opinion, as the best combination of candidates for the job: Seth Meyers (challenged Kelly a lot during his week there and made fun of her, but SNL’s got him), Josh Groban (truly funny, but I feel as though his concert schedule would get in the way), and Michael Strahan (very funny and probably the most available). We shall see…

17. Bart says:

Walter White

18. Irene says:

I would rather she had different co-hosts. Too bad they think they need a steady one

19. Louise says:

11 hours ago
    Former NFL defensive lineman and Fox NFL Sunday TV analyst has put his walk street townhome on the market

20. Annie says:

What about Nick Lachey??

21. robinepowell says:

If Joel McHale was in the running, I’d pick him for sure. ;)

22. David says:

Anyone but Seacrest! Seriously, can anyone handle any more of that guy? I’ve had enough for several lifetimes.

23. BTM says:

I’d have voted for Anderson Cooper (if he were available) or NPH.

• Mary says:

I with you too bad they are not available. They both have great rapport with Kelly. I guess I am the only one who does not like Seth Meyer.

24. Jacqi says:

i vote seth meyers. love him. i watch almost everyday now, but when he is on i don’t fast forward thru the opening segment. :)

25. Brian Nussbaum says:

I think that Kelly’s new co host might be either Neil Patrick Harris, Derek Hough , Jim Parsons, Matthew Morrison

26. PickMichaelStrahan says:

I really want Michael Strahan. As the Kelly co-host. Yeah, that’s what I meant! lol I think he’s been great, and I would definitely tune in to watch him. I mean, them. Ha!

27. Brenda says:

I really only make a point to watch when it’s Nick Lachey, Josh Groban, or Jerry O’Connell. We’ll see on Sept. 4th (my sister’s birthday) whether I will make a point to keep watching or if I’ll check in once in a while for guests that I consider a “must-see.”

28. sec says:

I vote for Joel McHale! No way on M. Strahan! When he speaks he sounds like he has a mouth full of food. He is too fake for me, tries to hard to be “funny”.

29. jba says:

I would have said Nick Lachey before today. I watched this morning and after the pepper incident it was a boring host chat. Jerry has been good when I have seen him but with the Munsters remake I don’t see that happening. I have liked Michael Buble also when he filled in but I don’t think he is in the running or available. AC and NPH are probably the best but they don’t have time for it. I rarely watch so it will have to be somebody good to get me to tune in.

30. jsnj says:

Joel McHale is the best, but I believe both Community & Talk Soup are shot in LA so I don’t see that happening. I also like Seth Meyers, then Josh. Nick is OK, but just OK. I agree that Strahan tries too hard and doesn’t succeed in making me laugh. I don’t dislike him, but of the candidates he’s my least favorite and would annoy me the most. I’m also fine w/rotating cohosts, but obviously that’s not happening.

31. Susie Quail says:

Only Josh Groban should be Kelly’s cohost and let him sing sometimes. He is so great! Everybody wants him!

32. Gigi says:

NICK LACHEY PLEASE???

33. jake says:

Tom Welling and Kelly Ripa definitely have chemistry… She even joked that he was sizing up Regis’s chair last time he was on the show… and he’s available…

• Belle says:

You guys are getting my hopes up…I have missed seeing Tom on my TV on a regular basis! I think he’s a natural and would totally compliment Kelly and those famous people would really enjoy chatting with him :)

34. stewart says:

Mario Cantone!

35. Belle says:

I really wish it would be Jeff Probst or Anderson Cooper – too bad they each have their own shows…give me some NPH, once How I Met Your Mother is done HE’D BE AWESOME!!!!!!

36. Belle says:

Would be totally hilarious if it were Clay Aiken…remember how peeved Kelly got with him for using his hand to cover her mouth his last (final) time gues co-hosting…lol

37. sasha says:

Joel McHale is hilarious!

38. Marie says:

WHO cares? She stinks. Regardless of what is said to the contrary, they fired the man who MADE that show great—REGIS PHILBIN, kicked out before his time.

39. Kristin says:

Gossip cop and Espn confirmed its Strahan!!! I’m so excited!!!

40. P Shack says:

The old Regis and Kelly Show was good because of the contrasts between the co-hosts. Regis was the old pro and Kelly was the “with it” half of the team. I like that dynamic and I’m sorry the producers didn’t test some different age groups. The new co-host doesn’t have to be more than ten years older than Kelly to be the more wise and calm influence/foil to her. I like the men who are the front-runners but most are too much like Kelly and so there isn’t much of a spark. NPH is good because he seems older than she and is more worldly. For what it’s worth, I do miss Kelly’s reparte with Regis and I think that “magic” could have been recreated and reinvented. I think a co-host that is too similar in age and personality will get a little boring.

41. RITA R says:

8-22 JUST SAW WHERE, THEY SAID THE NEW HOST HAD LEAKE OUIT AND IT WAS MICHAEL…. IT THAT TRUE

42. Dee Funfgeld says:

let’s face it there is no replacing regis the show will never be the same but………..michael is the best choice for the job for lots of reasons availability first and foremost……….i feel the two have a nice chemistry , they’re very close in age which in turn can bring in a new fresh younger audience at the same time keeping the diehard fans that have stuck by kelly in her search to find a new co-host.I wish Michael all the best ur filling a pair of shoes that takes a confident man and i think your the man for the job.perhaps there can be a new twist on the show a little something in the regular format that you can bring to the table and make yours!!!!!!!!!!!Keep on smiling,gap and all.

43. jim says:

Why is kellt still on the air, She is to fake for tv. No humor at all. you need a leader not a follower.

44. POPPY says:

KELLY RIPA – YOU DONT NEED A CO-HOST . CHOOSE YOUR OWN. A NEW HOST WOULD WORK EVERY 2 DAY OR WHAT EVER WORKS.

45. Alva says:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on teen pregnancy signs. Regards