Exclusive

Glee Exclusive: Lea Michele to Duet on Billy Joel Ballad -- But Who'll Cover 'Call Me Maybe'?

We’re not sure if there’ll be an actual piano man in the mix, but NYADA freshman Rachel Berry (Lea Michele) and McKinley High student Marley (Melissa Benoist) are slated to join forces on an iconic Billy Joel ballad during Glee‘s upcoming fourth season, TVLine has learned exclusively.

The pair will tackle “New York State of Mind” in two locations, with Rachel in Manhattan and Marley in Lima, OH.

“It’s a really beautiful number,” enthuses exec producer Brad Falchuk of the duet, which will take place in one of the season’s first few episodes.

RELATED | Glee Project Champ Blake Jenner on Bathroom Crying, Parrot Prison and…a Brittana Triangle?

Furthermore, TVLine scored some additional scoop about the New Directions’ cover of Carly Rae Jepsen’s “Call Me Maybe” that will be featured in the Season 4 premiere. Falchuk revealed lead vocals will be split among Heather Morris’ Brittany, Jenna Ushkowitz’s Tina and Darren Criss’ Blaine, and that the finished product is “awesome.”

RELATED | Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Once’s Mad Return, Glee, Fringe, NCIS, Political Animals and More

Excited about these Glee developments? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Kenna says:

Whoops, clicked enter too early.

Anyway, I spent a rather long time reading that argument and I personally can’t fathom as to why people argue about television characters in the first place? I mean…it’s television. There are so many more vital and important things to be arguing about. Though, I wish arguing never happened in the first place, but alas, our civilization can’t be civil.

Anywho, just wanted to pop in a moment and relay my thoughts to you all! Have a great day and tell someone you love them! You never know when you’ll never see them again!

• Selene says:

I agree. i will stop answering this because it’s stupid and pointless arguing over certains things.
      i think we should comment just the news and not our personal opinions anymore because it’s get wild.
      Rachel stans live your life keep supporting her. same goes for naya, darren and so on. we’ll keep supporting kurt and chris and we’ll be all happy.
      “but that shouldn’t demeanor another persons ability to sing. ” exactly. thank for you for being sane. i’m leaving this madness byebye have a good life

• marie3 says:

well look at this post ” There are also plenty of people who can’t stand either. Rachel is a skanky, clingy little b***h that is waaaay too into Barbara Streisand. Kurt is a whiny little homo who sounds like a cat in heat.
      Comment by say_it_like_you_mean_it – August 18, 2012 11:36 AM PDT” this is too much. this comment it’s offensive by both sides and also homophobic in kurt regards. this is like cyber bullying. we should all forgot this post i guess

• marie3 says:

re quoting myself “it’s Chris Colfer! The most likeable person in the history of all things! Or at least one of them! I mean, gosh, I just really like him. Are there people who don’t? Probably, but I don’t want to know about them because they sound mean and dumb. — Jill Guccini – The Glee Project Season 2 Finale Recap.” saying this in slang..your argument is invalid katrina

2. A person says:

I think some people are over-reacting a little. You can’t know how it’s going to sound until you hear it so please, stop trying to guess. Some people’s voices suit certain songs and not others, it’s a fact of life. Occasionally you’ll get Lea Michele, who can, in my opinion, pull off the majority of songs, but that shouldn’t demeanor another persons ability to sing.

So please, just wait and see. Stop expecting, and then you can’t be disappointed.

On another note, both of these songs sound like they tie in with the characters at the moment (missing their other halfs, New York dreams/reality), so they should at least go with the plot. Yey! :D

3. Melanie says:

Isn’t glee about NOT being bullies. Good lord who cares who your favorite character is, they are CHARACTERS not real people. Hopefully the ones in here arguing are below the age of 10 because if you’re any older than that and you’re this passionate about glee that you start Internet wars then you need therapy and a reality check…..

• Sammy says:

No kidding. You would think if nothing else they would take away the fact that bullying is not right.

• Brannie says:

You have a point. but the problem is that some of them attacked the actor instead the character. personal tastes aside nobody should call anyone “homo”

4. new york state of mind is like my favorite billy joel song ever and i LOVE billy joel, and lea michele i LOVE her so this is like. omg

5. katrina says:

Blaine haters should watch Harry Potter musical on YouTube. It might change your mind. I was a fan o Darren Chris long before glee. Also Chris colfer is annoying on both Glee and real life. I can’t stand him! Rachel has the best all around voice. That girl can sing close to anything. I absolutely love Naya as well. The mash up of Rumour has it and someone like you was beyond perfect. And can you say back to black? The stars of this show are most definitely Rachel and Santanna. Who cares about Tina and everyone else who is still in Glee club? I want to watch those that graduated already. If the did a spin off television series of Rachel in New York and Fin in the army is would so watch that over Tina, artie, etc.

• marie3 says:

also this post. chris colfer is annoying? oh god. we’re talking about characters and secondly chris colfer is a wonderful person. he’s talented and witty and smart and everyone has nice words for him. if you don’t like him personally fine but don’t pull this on him.

• Aiden says:

annoying haha yeah sure keep telling yourself that while he succeed at life. Chris is an amazing person and he can show that everyday of his life by having so many fans and thank god for everytime you say annoying you will found a squad of people who will knock you down. you can’t stand him but thousands of people think the contrary so keep that for yourself

• Aiden says:

“For me because of the, because of the type of character…that I play on tv and the type of person I am, like I really get targeted a lot…for like cyberbullying and all that. But you, you have to, you have to let it roll off your back because you have to realize, um, your name is out there for a good cause and for every one person that, that writes…’Oh F-word’ under, under a YouTube video that I’m on, there’s ten kids that are looking up to you, like thanking God they can relate to somebody.” chris wonderful colfer guys

• Kate says:

personally I’d rather they just did a spin off because I am actually interested in the other characters. Rachel has gotten the most screen time for three years and Santana has been a star for a while now. I think it is time the focus was on some of the other very talented actors on the show.

• Dianna says:

Pls Chris Colfer is the sweetest person I have ever met. Darren, Lea and Naya all love him and would not most likely appreciate your comment.

6. may flor b. aguisanda says:

finchel…finchel..finchel!!!

7. maria says:

You are always complaining, i love Rachel blabla, i love kurt more blablabla…. You are not happy, don’t look, use your remote for watch an another channel.
    For a show who talk about acceptance there is a lot of hate here, they are all equals, all lovables and have their owns failures and qualities, if Ryan Murphy casted them it’s for a reason, stop the hate, bring the love for the first original, for the kids who came along and for the news/

8. I don’t understand why Rachel sings with the new girl, she’s not at NY ? if she was singing with Brody or Huston’s character i will understand but why she does at Lima ?
    I doesn’t like Call me maybe but i hope the kids had fun singing and dancing.

9. Sammy says:

Ohhh and look at all the time all of you who decided to argue wasted in your life because of the pointless arguments that no one won. You should have stopped at the first few comments, or not started at all. How hard is it to ignore someone on the internet? No matter what any one of you says you will never agree with each other, so just leave it alone already. It’s the crazy fandom that makes me not want to watch the show more then what actually happens/doesn’t happen in the show.

Can’t wait to see what they do with the new season. Hopefully they learned the definition of continuity this year.

10. aurelia1993 says:

First of all: the more Rachel, the better. :) I think it’s weird Glee fans keep complaining about it being ‘the Rachel Berry show’, because it was very clear from the pilot on that she was a leading caracter and that a lot of the other choir members where just supporting actors. Of course I’m glad about the extra attention they gained over the seasons, but Rachel still is the main caracter.
    And second: I think “the new Rachel” is supposed to be about the new girl ‘Marley’, because in the new trailer some girl looking exactly like Rachel got slushied, and since Rachel is in NY it’s not her. Also, if she’s singing this song from Lima, she probably has the same dreams Rachel had about becoming a broadway star.

11. Brian says:

Don’t get me wrong I like Blaine and all but they have him doing too many songs and focus on him, they should show everyone else once in a while. Just like Rachel, I am inlove with Rachel but they just focus on her too much.

12. justme says:

Wow people here really need to take a breath and calm down. Also dont judge Santana fans by those who hate on other people. Because if you do that then surely you believe all arabic people are terrorists, all black people commit crimes and all white people are snobs. Generalizations suck and dont always apply.
    I am a Santana fan and personally, I do not hate Blaine. He is just not really important to me. I think he is a good singer in his own way. Just like Rachel is amazing at broadway, Mercedes is phenomenal when belting out a soulful or RnB hit, Artie kills MJ and Santana does some amazing work with jazz. We really need to stop comparing these people and saying one is better than the other because they are all talented singers and actors, otherwise they wouldn’t be on Glee.
    Its time Glee fans stopped attacking eachother. We do not write the show, we do not have any control over what our favourite characters do and we sure as hell have no right to say that one person is a useless waste of space just because we dont like something the writers have made them do.
    The Glee fandom needs to stand together and tell RIB and co to stop messing around and write consistent storylines that actually make sense.

13. Cupcake1989 says:

WOW… You know all this STUPID fighting really puts some people off of reading stories about some of their favorite shows. And honestly? from all the fandoms I have ever seen or been a part of, the GLEE fandom is about the worst for it. Never before have I seen so many POINTLESS arguments over characters! And lets face it, they are pointless arguments. I love Glee, it is the absolute highlight of my week when it is airing. Do I have characters that I love? sure. Do I have characters that I don’t particularly enjoy seeing on screen? of course. What fan doesn’t? But I think the word “hate” is majorly overused here. Each character on the show has a good and bad side. Whether it is Rachel, Kurt, Blaine, Santana, Mr Shue, WHOEVER. They each have redeeming qualities and they each have parts where they make mistakes. It is what makes them human.
    In my honest opinion a TRUE fan would accept the show and ALL of its characters as they are. HUMAN. Are certain characters put there to make us cringe and boo the screen? Of course. It is entertainment. But to sit on sites like this and tear pieces off of one another because you each like different characters is just RIDICULOUS and truly makes me wonder whether you indeed have a life outside of Glee. They are CHARACTERS. This is NOT a reality show. It’s for entertainment. Why oh why can’t you all learn to get along like good little boys and girls? Didn’t your parents teach you to play nice?
    I understand why people get so passionate about their characters but every single person in this world has an opinion of their own. If everybody thought the same thing then the world would be a boring and dull place. However sitting on news threads and insulting each other, not to mention the ACTORS who put a lot of effort into working on this show for the general public is just uncalled for. Learn to respect each other for your own beliefs, stop insulting each others beliefs and feelings.
    You are ruining it for everyone else who actually just manages to sit back and ENJOY what they see on the show.

• Brannie says:

Preach. every word of it. also this topic is getting old the news is already a little bit let’s move on some other things with peace and kindness, yep?

14. ...... says:

Brittany is the best. Argument over.

15. Antonio Gonzalez says:

Blaine will ruin call me maybe!!!

16. Rae says:

How old are you people? I can’t ever come on a glee comments page without seeing other people be rude over people’s opinions. Some of you need to grow up and realize that you are arguing over the internet and that it’s only a tv show.

17. Emma says:

Of course, this is gonna be another season of ‘let’s follow Rachel’s every move and neglect everyone else’. Woo :/

18. dippitydo says:

Oh people just grow up it’s a tv show none of the characters are real. I’m sick of people hating characters or people who play them only because they are frustreted on the writers. Obviously all actors are talented becuse they wouldn’t be on the show.

19. Josh says:

Where is Finn???? I know the army and stuff but he better come back!!

20. Dianna says:

Remember what klaine taught you guys..! You are perfect, there is so much hatered. No need for more:) Yes, I get hurt when someone bashes on Kurt because he means so, so much to me personally. Therefore I don’t bash other characters because I know what it feels like. In fact I like most of the characters and hate no one. Kurt, Rachel, Finn, Blaine and Santana seem to have so much hate for no reason. Have a good day!!

21. britt says:

All about the brittbritt lovers! Whoot whoot! Brittana forever. Kurt better get into nyada, and rachel is amazing but I would like it if she was out of the spotlight for a bit

22. Kayla says:

*sigh* Why can’t everybody just love everybody? Please? :)

23. Ernesto says:

Melissa Benoit is a pretty girl but she is completely mis-casted in Glee. It’s like the producers of Glee are trying to force someone who just comes across as too apple pie / squeaky innocent and her ‘look’ just doesn’t jive with the rest of the cast. Plus, the girl looks too old to be in high school. Her voice, while okay, is far from Rachel Berry. Sorry, if you’re if you’re going to ‘force’ a ‘new Rachel Berry’ character, then you need to be prepared for all Glee watchers to compare her directly to Lea Michele….which Melissa is far from. What made us root for Rachel in prior season especially is her honesty and emotional range – she’s relatable. and her singing is unvarnished and soulful. that, Melissa does not have. I was a fan of the first few seasons of Glee and I’m trying to get into this new format and cast of characters, but it just all falls flat. The new Glee seems contrived and overly schmaltzy.