Glee Exclusive: Lea Michele to Duet on Billy Joel Ballad — But Who'll Cover 'Call Me Maybe'?

Get More: Exclusive, Glee, News

We’re not sure if there’ll be an actual piano man in the mix, but NYADA freshman Rachel Berry (Lea Michele) and McKinley High student Marley (Melissa Benoist) are slated to join forces on an iconic Billy Joel ballad during Glee‘s upcoming fourth season, TVLine has learned exclusively.

The pair will tackle “New York State of Mind” in two locations, with Rachel in Manhattan and Marley in Lima, OH.

“It’s a really beautiful number,” enthuses exec producer Brad Falchuk of the duet, which will take place in one of the season’s first few episodes.

RELATED | Glee Project Champ Blake Jenner on Bathroom Crying, Parrot Prison and…a Brittana Triangle?

Furthermore, TVLine scored some additional scoop about the New Directions’ cover of Carly Rae Jepsen’s “Call Me Maybe” that will be featured in the Season 4 premiere. Falchuk revealed lead vocals will be split among Heather Morris’ Brittany, Jenna Ushkowitz’s Tina and Darren Criss’ Blaine, and that the finished product is “awesome.”

RELATED | Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Once’s Mad Return, Glee, Fringe, NCIS, Political Animals and More

Excited about these Glee developments? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

Comments (338)

• Whoops, clicked enter too early.

Anyway, I spent a rather long time reading that argument and I personally can’t fathom as to why people argue about television characters in the first place? I mean…it’s television. There are so many more vital and important things to be arguing about. Though, I wish arguing never happened in the first place, but alas, our civilization can’t be civil.

Anywho, just wanted to pop in a moment and relay my thoughts to you all! Have a great day and tell someone you love them! You never know when you’ll never see them again!

Comment by Kenna – August 18, 2012 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. i will stop answering this because it’s stupid and pointless arguing over certains things.
      i think we should comment just the news and not our personal opinions anymore because it’s get wild.
      Rachel stans live your life keep supporting her. same goes for naya, darren and so on. we’ll keep supporting kurt and chris and we’ll be all happy.
      “but that shouldn’t demeanor another persons ability to sing. ” exactly. thank for you for being sane. i’m leaving this madness byebye have a good life

Comment by Selene – August 18, 2012 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • well look at this post ” There are also plenty of people who can’t stand either. Rachel is a skanky, clingy little b***h that is waaaay too into Barbara Streisand. Kurt is a whiny little homo who sounds like a cat in heat.
      Comment by say_it_like_you_mean_it – August 18, 2012 11:36 AM PDT” this is too much. this comment it’s offensive by both sides and also homophobic in kurt regards. this is like cyber bullying. we should all forgot this post i guess

Comment by marie3 – August 18, 2012 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • re quoting myself “it’s Chris Colfer! The most likeable person in the history of all things! Or at least one of them! I mean, gosh, I just really like him. Are there people who don’t? Probably, but I don’t want to know about them because they sound mean and dumb. — Jill Guccini – The Glee Project Season 2 Finale Recap.” saying this in slang..your argument is invalid katrina

Comment by marie3 – August 18, 2012 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think some people are over-reacting a little. You can’t know how it’s going to sound until you hear it so please, stop trying to guess. Some people’s voices suit certain songs and not others, it’s a fact of life. Occasionally you’ll get Lea Michele, who can, in my opinion, pull off the majority of songs, but that shouldn’t demeanor another persons ability to sing.

So please, just wait and see. Stop expecting, and then you can’t be disappointed.

On another note, both of these songs sound like they tie in with the characters at the moment (missing their other halfs, New York dreams/reality), so they should at least go with the plot. Yey! :D

Comment by A person – August 18, 2012 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Isn’t glee about NOT being bullies. Good lord who cares who your favorite character is, they are CHARACTERS not real people. Hopefully the ones in here arguing are below the age of 10 because if you’re any older than that and you’re this passionate about glee that you start Internet wars then you need therapy and a reality check…..

Comment by Melanie – August 18, 2012 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No kidding. You would think if nothing else they would take away the fact that bullying is not right.

Comment by Sammy – August 18, 2012 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You have a point. but the problem is that some of them attacked the actor instead the character. personal tastes aside nobody should call anyone “homo”

Comment by Brannie – August 18, 2012 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • new york state of mind is like my favorite billy joel song ever and i LOVE billy joel, and lea michele i LOVE her so this is like. omg

Comment by Austin T. Sullivan – August 18, 2012 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Love your enthusiasm :) And I love Lea Michele and Billy Joel too.

Comment by aurelia1993 – August 21, 2012 05:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Blaine haters should watch Harry Potter musical on YouTube. It might change your mind. I was a fan o Darren Chris long before glee. Also Chris colfer is annoying on both Glee and real life. I can’t stand him! Rachel has the best all around voice. That girl can sing close to anything. I absolutely love Naya as well. The mash up of Rumour has it and someone like you was beyond perfect. And can you say back to black? The stars of this show are most definitely Rachel and Santanna. Who cares about Tina and everyone else who is still in Glee club? I want to watch those that graduated already. If the did a spin off television series of Rachel in New York and Fin in the army is would so watch that over Tina, artie, etc.

Comment by katrina – August 18, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • also this post. chris colfer is annoying? oh god. we’re talking about characters and secondly chris colfer is a wonderful person. he’s talented and witty and smart and everyone has nice words for him. if you don’t like him personally fine but don’t pull this on him.

Comment by marie3 – August 18, 2012 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • annoying haha yeah sure keep telling yourself that while he succeed at life. Chris is an amazing person and he can show that everyday of his life by having so many fans and thank god for everytime you say annoying you will found a squad of people who will knock you down. you can’t stand him but thousands of people think the contrary so keep that for yourself

Comment by Aiden – August 18, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “For me because of the, because of the type of character…that I play on tv and the type of person I am, like I really get targeted a lot…for like cyberbullying and all that. But you, you have to, you have to let it roll off your back because you have to realize, um, your name is out there for a good cause and for every one person that, that writes…’Oh F-word’ under, under a YouTube video that I’m on, there’s ten kids that are looking up to you, like thanking God they can relate to somebody.” chris wonderful colfer guys

Comment by Aiden – August 18, 2012 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • personally I’d rather they just did a spin off because I am actually interested in the other characters. Rachel has gotten the most screen time for three years and Santana has been a star for a while now. I think it is time the focus was on some of the other very talented actors on the show.

Comment by Kate – August 18, 2012 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Pls Chris Colfer is the sweetest person I have ever met. Darren, Lea and Naya all love him and would not most likely appreciate your comment.

Comment by Dianna – August 19, 2012 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • finchel…finchel..finchel!!!

Comment by may flor b. aguisanda – August 18, 2012 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You are always complaining, i love Rachel blabla, i love kurt more blablabla…. You are not happy, don’t look, use your remote for watch an another channel.
    For a show who talk about acceptance there is a lot of hate here, they are all equals, all lovables and have their owns failures and qualities, if Ryan Murphy casted them it’s for a reason, stop the hate, bring the love for the first original, for the kids who came along and for the news/

Comment by maria – August 18, 2012 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t understand why Rachel sings with the new girl, she’s not at NY ? if she was singing with Brody or Huston’s character i will understand but why she does at Lima ?
    I doesn’t like Call me maybe but i hope the kids had fun singing and dancing.

Comment by Marlislash Gabs – August 18, 2012 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ohhh and look at all the time all of you who decided to argue wasted in your life because of the pointless arguments that no one won. You should have stopped at the first few comments, or not started at all. How hard is it to ignore someone on the internet? No matter what any one of you says you will never agree with each other, so just leave it alone already. It’s the crazy fandom that makes me not want to watch the show more then what actually happens/doesn’t happen in the show.

Can’t wait to see what they do with the new season. Hopefully they learned the definition of continuity this year.

Comment by Sammy – August 18, 2012 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First of all: the more Rachel, the better. :) I think it’s weird Glee fans keep complaining about it being ‘the Rachel Berry show’, because it was very clear from the pilot on that she was a leading caracter and that a lot of the other choir members where just supporting actors. Of course I’m glad about the extra attention they gained over the seasons, but Rachel still is the main caracter.
    And second: I think “the new Rachel” is supposed to be about the new girl ‘Marley’, because in the new trailer some girl looking exactly like Rachel got slushied, and since Rachel is in NY it’s not her. Also, if she’s singing this song from Lima, she probably has the same dreams Rachel had about becoming a broadway star.

Comment by aurelia1993 – August 18, 2012 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t get me wrong I like Blaine and all but they have him doing too many songs and focus on him, they should show everyone else once in a while. Just like Rachel, I am inlove with Rachel but they just focus on her too much.

Comment by Brian – August 18, 2012 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow people here really need to take a breath and calm down. Also dont judge Santana fans by those who hate on other people. Because if you do that then surely you believe all arabic people are terrorists, all black people commit crimes and all white people are snobs. Generalizations suck and dont always apply.
    I am a Santana fan and personally, I do not hate Blaine. He is just not really important to me. I think he is a good singer in his own way. Just like Rachel is amazing at broadway, Mercedes is phenomenal when belting out a soulful or RnB hit, Artie kills MJ and Santana does some amazing work with jazz. We really need to stop comparing these people and saying one is better than the other because they are all talented singers and actors, otherwise they wouldn’t be on Glee.
    Its time Glee fans stopped attacking eachother. We do not write the show, we do not have any control over what our favourite characters do and we sure as hell have no right to say that one person is a useless waste of space just because we dont like something the writers have made them do.
    The Glee fandom needs to stand together and tell RIB and co to stop messing around and write consistent storylines that actually make sense.

Comment by justme – August 18, 2012 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Couldn’t have put it better. And RIB really do need to work on better consistent storylines.

Comment by Sammy – August 18, 2012 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOW… You know all this STUPID fighting really puts some people off of reading stories about some of their favorite shows. And honestly? from all the fandoms I have ever seen or been a part of, the GLEE fandom is about the worst for it. Never before have I seen so many POINTLESS arguments over characters! And lets face it, they are pointless arguments. I love Glee, it is the absolute highlight of my week when it is airing. Do I have characters that I love? sure. Do I have characters that I don’t particularly enjoy seeing on screen? of course. What fan doesn’t? But I think the word “hate” is majorly overused here. Each character on the show has a good and bad side. Whether it is Rachel, Kurt, Blaine, Santana, Mr Shue, WHOEVER. They each have redeeming qualities and they each have parts where they make mistakes. It is what makes them human.
    In my honest opinion a TRUE fan would accept the show and ALL of its characters as they are. HUMAN. Are certain characters put there to make us cringe and boo the screen? Of course. It is entertainment. But to sit on sites like this and tear pieces off of one another because you each like different characters is just RIDICULOUS and truly makes me wonder whether you indeed have a life outside of Glee. They are CHARACTERS. This is NOT a reality show. It’s for entertainment. Why oh why can’t you all learn to get along like good little boys and girls? Didn’t your parents teach you to play nice?
    I understand why people get so passionate about their characters but every single person in this world has an opinion of their own. If everybody thought the same thing then the world would be a boring and dull place. However sitting on news threads and insulting each other, not to mention the ACTORS who put a lot of effort into working on this show for the general public is just uncalled for. Learn to respect each other for your own beliefs, stop insulting each others beliefs and feelings.
    You are ruining it for everyone else who actually just manages to sit back and ENJOY what they see on the show.

Comment by Cupcake1989 – August 18, 2012 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Preach. every word of it. also this topic is getting old the news is already a little bit let’s move on some other things with peace and kindness, yep?

Comment by Brannie – August 18, 2012 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brittany is the best. Argument over.

Comment by ...... – August 18, 2012 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Blaine will ruin call me maybe!!!

Comment by Antonio Gonzalez – August 18, 2012 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • wut.
      CMM is awful to begin with. There can only be an improvement.

Comment by Anderson-Pierce – August 19, 2012 07:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But Heather’s singing.

Comment by Autotunethenewws – August 19, 2012 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How old are you people? I can’t ever come on a glee comments page without seeing other people be rude over people’s opinions. Some of you need to grow up and realize that you are arguing over the internet and that it’s only a tv show.

Comment by Rae – August 19, 2012 12:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of course, this is gonna be another season of ‘let’s follow Rachel’s every move and neglect everyone else’. Woo :/

Comment by Emma – August 19, 2012 04:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh people just grow up it’s a tv show none of the characters are real. I’m sick of people hating characters or people who play them only because they are frustreted on the writers. Obviously all actors are talented becuse they wouldn’t be on the show.

Comment by dippitydo – August 19, 2012 05:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where is Finn???? I know the army and stuff but he better come back!!

Comment by Josh – August 19, 2012 05:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Remember what klaine taught you guys..! You are perfect, there is so much hatered. No need for more:) Yes, I get hurt when someone bashes on Kurt because he means so, so much to me personally. Therefore I don’t bash other characters because I know what it feels like. In fact I like most of the characters and hate no one. Kurt, Rachel, Finn, Blaine and Santana seem to have so much hate for no reason. Have a good day!!

Comment by Dianna – August 19, 2012 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All about the brittbritt lovers! Whoot whoot! Brittana forever. Kurt better get into nyada, and rachel is amazing but I would like it if she was out of the spotlight for a bit

Comment by britt – August 19, 2012 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *sigh* Why can’t everybody just love everybody? Please? :)

Comment by Kayla – August 20, 2012 09:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Melissa Benoit is a pretty girl but she is completely mis-casted in Glee. It’s like the producers of Glee are trying to force someone who just comes across as too apple pie / squeaky innocent and her ‘look’ just doesn’t jive with the rest of the cast. Plus, the girl looks too old to be in high school. Her voice, while okay, is far from Rachel Berry. Sorry, if you’re if you’re going to ‘force’ a ‘new Rachel Berry’ character, then you need to be prepared for all Glee watchers to compare her directly to Lea Michele….which Melissa is far from. What made us root for Rachel in prior season especially is her honesty and emotional range – she’s relatable. and her singing is unvarnished and soulful. that, Melissa does not have. I was a fan of the first few seasons of Glee and I’m trying to get into this new format and cast of characters, but it just all falls flat. The new Glee seems contrived and overly schmaltzy.

Comment by Ernesto – January 24, 2013 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post