Game of Thrones Summons Rome's Ciarán Hinds to Play Mance Rayder

Get More: Casting News

Belfast native Ciarán Hinds — best known to TV viewers as Rome’s Julius Caesar but currently wrapping a run as Political Animals ex-POTUS Bud Hammond — has been tapped by HBO’s Game of Thrones to play the pivotal role of Mance Rayder, EW.com reports.

RELATED | Game of Thrones, Homeland and Louie Win Big at TCA Awards

Per the Song of Ice and Fire novels, Mance was a loyal member of the Night’s Watch until he broke his vows and went to live with the wildings. There, he rose to an influential position, ultimately becoming regarded as The King Beyond the Wall.

Mance has occasionally been alluded to on the HBO series — most recently in the Season 2 finale, as Jon Snow was being led to meet with the wildings’ leader.

RELATED | Game of Thrones @ Comic-Con: Diana Rigg and 13 Others Join Season 3 Cast

Season 3 of Game of Thrones is set to premiere March 31, 2013.

Thrones faithful, is Hinds how you envisioned Mance Rayder?

Comments (30)

• Oh, no… Does it really mean PA is done? There won’t be another season? What a bummer :/

Comment by Jinjeon – August 17, 2012 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m hoping that’s not what this means. Political Animals, if renewed, will be in the summer again so he should be able to film both shows. Maybe it’s wishful thinking on my part, but until I hear it’s def. cancelled I’m holding out hope for a season 2!!

Comment by Rain – August 17, 2012 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Political Animals was advertised as a limited series event. It was always only going to have one season.

Comment by ParalysedBeaver – August 17, 2012 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The above comment is incorrect: http://tvline.com/2012/07/23/political-animals-season-2-cast/

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – August 17, 2012 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Oh. I guess I misunderstood the advertising. Sorry.

Comment by paralysedbeaver – August 20, 2012 08:20 AM PDT
        • A limited series means less episodes than other shows. A mini series is a one time event so the decision for a season 2 is still open.
          Pete

Comment by Pete – December 15, 2012 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thrones starts in March so I think there’s plenty of time to film Political Animals. Over the past 2 or 3 years evey where I look I see Hinds and he has become one of my favorite top 3 actors along with De Niro, Pacino, and Hinds. There are so many great Engish, Irish actors but he is so versatile. I’ve seen him play so many nationalities that I fell in love with his acting.

Comment by Pete – December 15, 2012 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never watched Rome, but after seeing him as Bud Hammond I don’t know how I feel about this casting. I think he plays Bud well, if a bit over the top, but he’s def. not how I’ve pictured The King Beyond the Wall these past 2 seasons. Can anyone here fill me in on what he was like on Rome? Is this actually much better casting than I’m thinking it is?

Comment by Rain – August 17, 2012 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He was fantastic in Rome. It was good casting. He’s generally always good in what I’ve seen him in (mostly supporting roles in movies and tv). I have not seen Political Animals – its on the Tivo. But he was fantastic in Rome. I did not picture him as Mance Rayder either. I pictured someone a bit more rough around the edges.

Comment by Snsetblaze – August 17, 2012 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Please rent the first film version of Austen’s Persuasion, or Munich, or Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy as well as the great Rome before you pass judgement on Hinds as Mance. Despite his admittedly Foghorn Leghorn-y role on Political Animals. Hinds is a really good actor, both on stage and screen (occasional bombastic scenery chewing roles (ie Mr. Rochester in Jane Eyre) notwithstanding) I for one am very pleased with this casting.

Comment by fresser28 – August 17, 2012 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t care which parts he plays. I enjoy seeing him act in anything. I’m watching Tinker Tailor as I type
        Pete

Comment by Pete – December 15, 2012 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t like him one bit as Mance. I always imagined him having a youthful streak and a much less serious appearance than Ciaran Hinds. It might be the first time that GoT casting got it wrong and it’s a shame because it is such an interesting (and important) role.

Comment by qwe89 – August 17, 2012 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Ciaran really is a presence in every scene he’s in, and Mance is the total opposite of that. I imagined Mance as a kinda slender, gentle, musical guy that wasn’t all that noticable but could come out really fierce and mighty. Ciaran kinda was like that on Rome, but I really think he is the first miscast on GoT… But this show has proven me wrong before, so I really hope they will again this time. BTW, I always imagined David Tennant as Mance and I’m kinda (really) bummed he wasn’t cast..

Comment by Thari – August 17, 2012 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • David Tennant would have been perfect! Love that idea.

Comment by Erica – August 18, 2012 06:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Completely agree. They got it wrong this time. Mance is not this old.

Comment by luke – August 17, 2012 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They never specified his age, so that statement holds no weight…

Comment by Matt – August 17, 2012 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is not how I imagined Mance Rayder at all. I thought he would be younger and more…..intimidating I guess. We’ll see I guess but this isn’t what I expected.

Comment by Chuck Finley (AJ) – August 17, 2012 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s older than I pictured, but he’s a great actor, so I’ll go with it.

Comment by Aleksa – August 17, 2012 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome News!

Comment by jw – August 17, 2012 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know I’m not the only one who was crossing my fingers for Rufus Sewell as Mance. I think he would have been a better “look” for the part, certainly, but Ciaran Hinds was great in Rome, so I will try to hold my judgement until Season 3.

Comment by Amanda – August 17, 2012 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He feels too old to be Mance Raydar… Or am I wrong about Mance’s age? I would have thought Sebastian Stan would be more appropriate, lol.

Comment by Emily – August 17, 2012 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t like him and his goat-loving ways.

Comment by Tom Riddle – August 17, 2012 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I only remember him from Political Animals (although apparently he’s been in a couple of movies I’ve seen) and from that I’m disappointed. But the Game of Thrones casting people haven’t put a foot wrong yet, so I’m going to keep the faith and not judge until I’ve seen him. But I definitely pictured someone smaller and younger, as others have said, not as…showy.

Comment by laurenfrancesm – August 17, 2012 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I too was expecting someone a little younger, long hair, and less of a presence on the screen… He should not look like a leader…this is a guy who can blend in with musicians…. But thé people in charge of casting in GOT haven’t let me down yet so I’ll wait to see how it goes….

Comment by Jose – August 17, 2012 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Remember things like long hair can always be added easily with wigs and any features that may not match the description in the books can be tweaked with cosmetics. Weight really isn’t an issue either as he can either lose it, or cover it up with costume. Hopefully some photos are leaked with him in full costume, we can pass judgement as soon as we see him in that red cloak.

Comment by urawizardharry – August 18, 2012 03:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Unlike some other commentors I wasn’t expecting someone younger. There are a lot of older men in the Night’s Watch and they never really state how old he was when he defected. I was expecting someone THINNER. Not saying you’re super fat or anything, Ciaran, but I always saw Mance as a whip-thin, craggy sort of guy. They aren’t exactly living in the best conditions up in some glacial mountain pass.

He’s a great actor, tho. I’m sure he’ll bring what’s needed to the part. :D

Comment by Zee – August 17, 2012 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He will dominate that show. Everything he does is top notch. Love him and miss ROME so much.

Comment by Ali – August 17, 2012 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i never realised it but he is exactly how i pictured mance when reading the novels and he is an utterly amazing actor. he should be able to exude charisma like mance does in the books. those scenes are going to be phenomenal

Comment by Alan – August 17, 2012 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sure, he doesn’t fit the book Mance character but so what? A lot of the actors don’t fit the way the characters were described in the book. Hell, Tyrion only resembles the book character in not being tall. Otherwise the actor looks NOTHING LIKE HE IS DESCRIBED. Yet everyone loves him.

This is a fantastic actor and he will do the role more than justice.

Comment by GeekFurious.com – August 18, 2012 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thrilled about this pick, Hinds is a brilliant actor. I loved him as Caesar and I can’t wait to see how he portrays Mance.

Comment by Sarah – November 23, 2012 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post