Emmys

Emmys 2012: What Should Win Outstanding Drama Series? Take Our Poll!

Get More: Emmys, Polls

The race for Outstanding Drama Series is widely considered the most hotly contested among the 2012 Emmy Awards’ major categories, and now it’s your turn to weigh in on which show deserves the statuette.

Yes, it’s true that Mad Men has a chance to win for the fifth consecutive year, but HBO’s Boardwalk Empire and
Game of Thrones are both back for their second consecutive shots at the prize, while Showtime’s Homeland enters the race on the strength of its taut, buzzy freshman season. Also new to the race is PBS’ Downton Abbey, which took home the Emmy for Outstanding Miniseries or Made for Television Movie in 2011, and now switches to the Drama Series category this year. Finally, after a one-year break where it was inelligible to compete, Mad Men‘s AMC stablemate Breaking Bad returns to see if its third nomination will prove to be the charm that cures its bridesmaid status.

What would you do if you had the power to honor one of these fine shows when the Emmys are handed out in September? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite — TVLine voting closes Sept. 14, so act now! — then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every day for the next month, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor, and to stay up to speed on all our races, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (55)

• Game Of Thrones :)

Comment by adamb – August 17, 2012 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Breaking Bad!

Comment by ScrubsGuy – August 17, 2012 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Game of thrones

Comment by Ahmed Hassan – August 17, 2012 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Breaking Bad!

Comment by Temis – August 17, 2012 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Donald Duck!

Comment by TigerNightmare – August 17, 2012 05:34 PM PDT
          • Forever let us hold our banners high!

Comment by Rock Golf – August 17, 2012 08:58 PM PDT
    • Game of Thrones FTW!!

Comment by Lee – August 18, 2012 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love every one of these shows and I watch them religiously. Breaking Bad had its best season last year, but Homeland was the freshest new drama in three years. Mad Men was phenomenal, but Game of Thrones was the biggest epic ever on television. Downton Abbey and Boardwalk Empire were great, but not up to the level of the others. So it’s kind of a four-way tie for me.

Comment by Sam – August 17, 2012 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is exactly how I feel (except I couldn’t care less about Boardwalk Empire).

Comment by Dick Whitman – August 17, 2012 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • BOREDwalk Empire… UGH!

Comment by JustMy2Cents – August 19, 2012 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This.

Except I think that GOT, while great, slipped a bit fr

Comment by Bea – August 17, 2012 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only show of these that I watch is MadMen. Sad that so many shows are on premium cable channels that most people dont have, especially in this economy. Im not paying extra when part of me is leaning towards giving up and cancelling my satellite bill. I have been watching Prisoners Of War, the Israeli show on which Homeland is based, free every Saturday on Hulu and so far its amazing. I think theyve been up to ep 5 and there is so much going on and all the characters are interwoven nicely.

Comment by Steve – August 17, 2012 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is such a great group of shows I could make a case for any of them except maybe Boardwalk Empire. It’s going to be an interesting race.

Comment by Laura – August 17, 2012 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Breaking Bad for all the awards. Season 4 was INSANE.

Comment by Sam – August 17, 2012 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Justified-what it wasn’t nominated? Idiots.

Comment by vicki – August 17, 2012 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, Justified definitely should have been nominated. If it were up to me, only 2 of the shows would remain nominated. My favorite show is Fringe. My second favorite show is Homeland, which, fortunately, is nominated and that’s the show I’m rooting for. My third favorite show is Justified. My fourth favorite show is The Walking Dead, which is much more than a mere zombie show. And then my fifth favorite show is Breaking Bad, so I’m glad that was nominated. The sixth slot, IMO, should have gone to The Good Wife.

Comment by Stephen S. – August 18, 2012 11:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Justified. Nothing better on television, no matter what the Emmy’s say.

Comment by jbkr73 – August 17, 2012 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Completely agree!!

Comment by Lily – August 17, 2012 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m torn. Downton Abbey it’s a wonderful show but i can’t place him in this position. Game of thrones was truly epic as well as Mad Men. so i’m guess i’m going to choose between these two (:

Comment by marie3 – August 17, 2012 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Breaking Bad. It’s not even a contest. Game of Thrones season 2 was NOWHERE as good. It wasn’t even as good as its previous season.

Comment by Sally – August 17, 2012 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • anything that isnt a downton win is a good win in my book

Comment by Alan – August 17, 2012 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I tihnk you have made that comment before on another category. Not sure why you are so against Downton.

Comment by ben – August 17, 2012 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • its pure tripe thats why, the fact that people have spent money on this baffles me, an i know ive made the comment before so ill stop now

Comment by Alan – August 17, 2012 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! While the 1st season was kind of heartfelt and true to life, the 2nd season…ugh, it’s just a laughable soap opera. I think if the Emmy voters pictured this show being done in American accents they would have seen that and not have been as inclined to nominate it.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – August 17, 2012 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Homeland and Downton Abbey but if forced to choose….i gotta give it to Homeland.

Comment by Eliza – August 17, 2012 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have to admit, I’d be happy with any of those four winning, but also lean towards Homeland. This is pretty much exactly how I feel.

Comment by ben – August 17, 2012 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Such a crime that Newsroom wasn’t nominated…a phenomenal show!!

Comment by LStirling – August 17, 2012 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not eligible.

And an abysmal show, besides.

Comment by Sean C. – August 17, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’ll be interesting to see if “Mad Men” can break the four-way tie it’s currently in with “Hill Street Blues”, “LA Law”, and “The West Wing”.

Comment by Sean C. – August 17, 2012 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Game of Thrones would be my pick but since it’s never going to win, I’m hoping for Homeland or Breaking Bad to break MM’s streak. This year they didn’t have a season comparable to BB, GoT or Homeland.

Comment by jre11 – August 17, 2012 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why do u think GOT doesn’t stand a chance at emmys?
      It already won best supporting actor plus this year it won TCA programe of the year award over breaking bad

Comment by Ahmed Hassan – August 17, 2012 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Because it has dragons, and zombies, and magic. Those types of shows are not worthy of an Emmy.

Comment by Dick Whitman – August 17, 2012 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Not worthy ?? Lolz
          Dumbest comment sorry !!
          The world is watching and liking game of thrones with 9.4 on IMDb and nearly 200k votes .. What’s the rating of Homeland or other shows ?
          Here in Asia where I live people don’t even know about Mad Men or etc etc shows , they only like GOT and the Torrent Freak data analysis shows it the most downloaded show of all times in the history of Entertainment industry and still it’s in the second season

Comment by Ahmed Hassan – August 17, 2012 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Sorry, Ahmed, I was being sarcastic, I would love to see the cast and crew of Game of Thrones receiving this Emmy. Unfortunately, there’s people who actually think that genre shows shouldn’t win.

Comment by Dick Whitman – August 18, 2012 03:33 AM PDT
      • Because fantasy never wins. At least when it’s not recognized classic fantasy (The Lord of the Rings). And they left out all the actors except Peter Dinklage and that is a sure sign of doom. That said, this year it was my favorite series. The one I anticipated the most, the one I rewatched the most, the one that in my opinion also generated the greatest buzz.

Comment by jre11 – August 17, 2012 11:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why is Boardwalk Empire even nominated? I’d gladly replace it with a show more worthy of the nomination – like The Good Wife, Sons of Anarchy or Justified.

Comment by RichieOnTV – August 17, 2012 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like Boardwalk Empire but agree that Sons of Anarchy should be in there. And what about Revenge? Maybe next year.

Comment by Sue – August 18, 2012 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly is there any show as big and as EPIC as Game of thrones
    It’s like a hour movie ..
    Best show of all times for me

Comment by Ahmed Hassan – August 17, 2012 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Good Wife? Oh…

Comment by Amadeu – August 17, 2012 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Homeland since The Good Wife wasn´t even nominated!!!!!

Comment by Miri – August 17, 2012 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I definitely vote for Homeland. Never seen a show have a 1st season quite the way they did. All of my favorite shows took at least a season or two for me to really get into, but not that one. I was hooked from the first 5 minutes. Breaking Bad was also really good last season though, I wouldn’t be unhappy seeing it win, I would just prefer Homeland. Mad Men seems to be the favorite with the Emmy voters though, which upsets me, because it was incredibly inconsistent. But they gave it so many nominations, including those 3 writing nominations. And I think they love the idea of having it make history with this 5th win. Game of Thrones was good, just kind of hard to follow with too many characters running around, and Boardwalk Empire was good, just not oh my gosh good. Downton Abbey. Ugh. I have no more to say on that topic.
    The show that should be in here that’s not is Justified. I was just rewatching season 3 and it was much better than I remember it being. The episodes flow together really well when you watch them all quickly together. It’s more exciting than Downton Abbey, has more consistently good episodes than Mad Men, feels more authentic in its setting and with its characters than Boardwalk Empire, and had better stories and performances than Game of Thrones (people will hate me for saying that, I know). It’s probably going to be Mad Men that wins it, but I’m still going to hold out hope for a Homeland victory. I think its chances are better than most people realize. I’m also going to call the writing and direction winners now. Directing: Pilot for Homeland. Writing: Mad Men’s The Other Woman.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – August 17, 2012 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So true about Justified. I am anxious to watch Homeland. Hope the DVDs are out soon!

Comment by Mydoglikesbeer – August 17, 2012 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Game of thrones for me.

I do think that compared to the second book, the second season of Game of Thrones was a letdown because they took so many liberties with it this season as opposed to last season where they stuck to the first book’s story lines and general tenor. It’s not that I dislike changes when it helps the story transition to the screen better or for budget reasons, or even fun changes that don’t throw off the story, but I felt like some of the showrunners’ changes left gaping plot holes and confused my friends who hadn’t read the books.

To that end, I almost hope it doesn’t win this year because I don’t want them to feel validated in straying from the book as far as they did. Plus, season three will only cover the first half of the 3rd book, so it should allow for more time to tell the stories as written (barring budget constraints etc). And because book 3 is the fan favorite and regarded as the best in the series generally, I’m hoping it does the book justice and if it does, I can see it winning next year. Then again, season 2 was still more exciting than anything I watched this season, so I’d still choose it over the others.

Breaking bad is a very distant second. I just don’t get the uber enthusiasm for the show–the plot points are all very predictable and Walter plays irate more than any other mood, which gets old. Plus his constant irritation with Jesse gets so…irritating. Plus the whole fooling the family dea agent gets a little old. And Walters wife is super annoying. Anyway, all that aside, I do like the show but I feel like its a dramatic version of Weeds.

Mad Men was largely a snooze-fest this season IMO, so if it wins again that would be super lame. Haven’t seen Homeland yet, but hear good things so I need to check it out. Downton Abbey’s second season wasn’t anywhere near as good as the first so it’s tied for last with Mad Men. I put Homeland before either of them based on reputation, but that could change.

But I see breaking bad taking it, which honestly would be fine by me despite my griping.

Comment by Summer Stark – August 17, 2012 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh I forgot about Boardwalk Empire…that probably means something…it was just ok IMO.

Comment by Summer Stark – August 17, 2012 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FOREVER TORN BETWEEN BREAKING BAD AND GAME OF THRONES. Both are so fantastic.

Comment by Petra – August 17, 2012 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anything but Mad Men. It doesn’t deserve to win for this season, especially when Breaking Bad was so much better.

Comment by anna – August 17, 2012 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Out of this list, Homeland. Great show, and perfect Emmy food.

Snubs: Terra Nova, Alcatraz, Once Upon a Time, Castle, Body of Proof, Revenge. These are all phenomenal and should have definitely been nominated.

Comment by nick1372 – August 17, 2012 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hahahahahahahaha, Terra Nova, Alacatraz, hahahahahahaha! Body of Proof, lulz! You’re so funny!

Comment by Barbie Furtado – August 17, 2012 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I get that they’re not Emmy material, but I like them. What’s the big deal?

Comment by nick1372 – August 17, 2012 10:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Goodness, not Homeland. It’s an annyimg little show. But it’s definitely Emmy material. Claire Danes NEEDS (and probably) will win best actress, though. She’s heart-wrenchingly amazing!

Comment by Barbie Furtado – August 17, 2012 08:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Get rid of Dowton (whose second season, while not awful, was far from amazing) and add Justified, then ditch Boardwalk Empire for Sons of Anarchy or The Good Wife. Either way, Mad Men deserves the win, best season yet. After that let some other shows start winning.

Comment by Yoho – August 17, 2012 10:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mad Men / Megan show shouldn’t even be in the top 3 this year let alone win.
    Breaking Bad , Homeland and Game of Thrones.

Comment by Laurel – August 17, 2012 10:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Mad Men but this season just doesn’t deserve to win. Breaking Bad on the other hand was just out of this world, so I hope it gets its due.
    Don’t know why people like Homeland so much. Its full of cliches and has no subtlety in its script. I was so annoyed that I stopped watching it after the first three episodes. Perhaps the most overrated tripe on TV right now.

Comment by niks – August 18, 2012 02:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HOMELAND! Great first season

Comment by Jordan – August 18, 2012 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Should be a three-way race between Mad Men, Breaking Bad and Downton Abbey. Breaking Bad was the best last year and also the year before that, but that’s not as things goes usually.

Comment by lucaltair815 – August 28, 2012 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post