ABC Family Orders More Bunheads, Renews Switched at Birth and 2 Others, Cancels Jane

Somewhere, Amy Sherman-Palladino is doing a happy dance.

ABC Family has ordered additional episodes of the Gilmore Girls creator’s ballerina tale Bunheads. Additionally, the cabler has renewed Melissa & Joey, Switched at Birth and Baby Daddy, while Jane By Design has been given the ax.

VIDEO | Watch Bunheads‘ Big Finale Dance Number Now!

The Bunheads extension (which is rumored to be around eight episodes) ensures that Monday’s episode will be a summer and not a series finale. The Sutton Foster-Kelly Bishop dramedy is expected to resume production in October and return on air in early ’13.

Melissa & Joey will be heading into its third season, while Switched at Birth and Baby Daddy will both be entering Season 2. (The second half of SaB‘s rookie season bows Sept. 3; Baby Daddy and Melissa & Joey wrap Season 1 and Season 2, respectively, on Aug. 29.)

Finally, the decision to pull the plug on the struggling Jane By Design comes just weeks after the show ended its first season with 1.2 million viewers and a 0.4 demo rating, representing half of its Pretty Little Liars lead-in.

Thoughts? Which renewal are you most relieved about? Hit the comments!

1. ossiris says:

honestly what the cheese I loved jane by design & they just took it of like nothing ! Leaving us hanging ; they should at least finish off the storyline & not leave us in the middle of wanting to know !
    ABC you really mest up this time just because it didnt meet up to preety little liars in viewers you cut it ? Preety little liers has been out for so long obviously their going to have more views this has only been out for a couple seasons not that many people know about it !
    You should at least give the viewers the benefit of the doubt and make the next season ! To see how many views you get this time around!

2. Jackie says:

I am a senior citizen and I loved Jane By Design. I wish you would bring it back. The actress who played Jane was fantastic and if you can’t bring back Jane put her in something else along with the actor who played her best friend. I realize this all happened in the fall, but I just learned about it. So sad.
    Jackie

3. a e elliot says:

i like bunheads, but not completely in love with it, i hate to say it, i do not say it to be mean ,to the girl, that is playing the lead,but she is trying to hard to be lorile gilmore too much,and it seems forced, but i still watch cause of amy,love her stuff she is brilliant,

4. seo firm says:

It’s appropriate time to make a few plans for the future and it’s time to be happy.
    I’ve read this submit and if I may I want to suggest you some interesting things or advice. Maybe you could write next articles relating to this article. I desire to read more issues approximately it!

5. kmh96_ says:

I don’t watch tv much, but really caught in interest in this show. If there is any way to get the show back in action for a season two, it would be incredible. I really was waiting the entire season for billy and jane to realize they are meant to be and are perfect for each other

6. Monica says:

BRING BACK BUN HEADS!!!!!!!!!!!

• J. Petrie says:

Bring back JBD. It was so cute and quirky and there was never a finish. I tried Bunheads once and it didn’t have the spark that JBD had. I liked JBD much better than M & J. Perhaps Andie Mc Dowall can be in two shows, others have done it.

7. Admiring the commitment you put into your blog and detailed information you provide.
    It’s good to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same outdated rehashed
    material. Wonderful read! I’ve saved your site and I’m including your RSS feeds to my Google account.