ABC Family Orders More Bunheads, Renews Switched at Birth and 2 Others, Cancels Jane

Get More: News, Renewals

Somewhere, Amy Sherman-Palladino is doing a happy dance.

ABC Family has ordered additional episodes of the Gilmore Girls creator’s ballerina tale Bunheads. Additionally, the cabler has renewed Melissa & Joey, Switched at Birth and Baby Daddy, while Jane By Design has been given the ax.

VIDEO | Watch Bunheads‘ Big Finale Dance Number Now!

The Bunheads extension (which is rumored to be around eight episodes) ensures that Monday’s episode will be a summer and not a series finale. The Sutton Foster-Kelly Bishop dramedy is expected to resume production in October and return on air in early ’13.

Melissa & Joey will be heading into its third season, while Switched at Birth and Baby Daddy will both be entering Season 2. (The second half of SaB‘s rookie season bows Sept. 3; Baby Daddy and Melissa & Joey wrap Season 1 and Season 2, respectively, on Aug. 29.)

Finally, the decision to pull the plug on the struggling Jane By Design comes just weeks after the show ended its first season with 1.2 million viewers and a 0.4 demo rating, representing half of its Pretty Little Liars lead-in.

Thoughts? Which renewal are you most relieved about? Hit the comments!

Comments (253)

• Jane by Design was a great show. I can’t believe it!!

Comment by Mari – August 17, 2012 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love, Love, Love Bunheads! Hurray!!

Comment by Marian Anderson McCann – August 17, 2012 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • #SaveJaneByDesign

Comment by apple – August 17, 2012 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love SAB and M&J. Great news!!!!

Comment by nick1372 – August 17, 2012 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what happened to the lying game?

Comment by Lovetress – August 17, 2012 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok, i used to love Gilmore Girls, but Bunheads is SO BORING
    They need to renew Jane by Design and make better promo for the show!

Comment by July Brody – August 17, 2012 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved Gilmore Girls and wanted to like Bunheads but I just don’t. It’s boring and aside from a few characters, most are unlikable. Jane by Design was a great little show. I wished they gave it a chance. It was light and cute and well written. Much better than a lot of ABC family shows.

Comment by jchap – August 17, 2012 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ITA. It’s like ASP is just picking through Gilmore Girls’ closets and garage and trying to make a show out of it. It’s gone off the rails already by missing the opportunity with the reclusive rich guy and having her jump into bed with the recycled “Digger”. Although, to be fair, I don’t see anything about her that would appeal to the rich guy.

Comment by Templar – August 18, 2012 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Lying game????

Comment by Lovetress – August 17, 2012 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lying Game season two starts in Jan.

Comment by Brandy – August 17, 2012 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • =( jane by design noo…and sorry but Baby Daddy is not that good =/

Comment by Caroline – August 17, 2012 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay are you people are seriously retarded? Half of you are asking questions the article answered. Did you even read it? Or are you just really totally stupid!? Jane by Design SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN CANCELED. PUT THAT RIGHT UP THERE WITH GREEK BEING CANCELLED. ANOTHER DUMBASS MOVE BY ABCFAMILY! Super excited about everyone else. I hope Bunheads gets a second season in addition to it’s second half. I love that Melissa and Joey will be back because Joe is from my hometown and I love seeing locale’s be serious success!!!

Comment by Angie – August 17, 2012 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Even a retarded person could tell you that there is a comma missing and one “are” too many in your first sentence. Also, your third and fourth sentences should be just one sentence. Lastly, “locale’s” is wrong twice. Locales are places. Locals are people. And the apostrophe indicates possession which is inappropriate in that sentence. But, not being retarded, I guess you didn’t know those facts.

Comment by Templar – August 18, 2012 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m happy for Bunheads. I’m not that surprised by Jane by Design being canceled. I really haven’t watched the other shows renewed. I find it interesting that Switched at Birth was renewed without airing any of the episodes from the back order.

Comment by Kyle – August 17, 2012 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so glad that Switched at Birth is renewed for a second season!!!! I have been wondering about that for a while since I know SAB will have a 3rd part of season 1 airing 11 episodes beginning on September 3. I stopped watching Bunheads for a while and need to see past episodes before I can be happy for its addition of 8 episodes. I am not upset about Jane By Design being axed because I know the show is weak, quite repetitive and kind of boring. I am looking forward to having 3 of my favorite shows (Pretty Little Liars, Switched at Birth and The Lying Game) premiere and show during the winter.

Comment by Christina – August 17, 2012 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As a dancer, it is refreshing to see good ballet on TV…. wish the show was a little cleaner but i still LOVE Bunheads!

Comment by Lilly – August 17, 2012 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Bunheads! So happy!

Comment by CJ – August 17, 2012 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so upset about Bunheads getting more episodes over Jane By Design! I watch Bunheads only because I loved Gilmore Girls was hoping it would improve but Jane By Design had become a weekly appointment with my television for me it was a new, fresh show and I really enjoyed it.

Comment by SP – August 17, 2012 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • JANE NOOOO

Comment by Ryann – August 17, 2012 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woo hoo for Bunheads! Great news considering we thought this week’s episode was one of its best yet.

Comment by cinephilactic – August 17, 2012 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad that Bunheads is getting a back 8! Hopefully this’ll give ASP & Co to show a little more ballet (although not too much – the other GG elements are also why I love the show).

Also excited for a second season of Switched at Birth! I love so much about the show, especially the exposure to Deaf culture and ASL :)

I hope that no mention of Secret Life means that it might be on the chopping block. After the first couple seasons, I had to stop watching. Hearing teenagers talk about sex in every other conversation made me uncomfortable. Not to mention how obsessed they were with doing it and how often they acted on that. I know most teenagers are like that but still!

Comment by Sarah Elizabeth Ann (@myownlittlecrnr) – August 17, 2012 10:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Bunheads!! It’s so weird Switched at Birth is still in season one.

Comment by laurenfrancesm – August 18, 2012 01:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “The second half of SaB‘s rookie season bows Sept. 3″
    you mean 3rd period…

Comment by P. S. Shawn (@serialykinemask) – August 18, 2012 03:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy to hear Bunheads aka Gilmore Girls West is renewed. Maybe in extended episodes we will find out that Fanny is Emily’s long lost twin sister who rebelled against her uptight WASP, Connecticut upbringing. There could be a sisters reunion at the wedding of Emily’s daughter Lorelai to her long time love Luke!!! Yes, that’s right, still bitter!

Comment by Robin – August 18, 2012 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yesssss can’t wait for switched at Birth!!!

Comment by Frances – August 18, 2012 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why are te canceling Jane By design?!?! I loved that show!! It’s so much better than Bun Heads… They always end up canceling the good shows and keeping the bad ones.. Nine lives of Chloe king was also a good show they cancelled.

Comment by Kayla – August 18, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AMEN – that is SOOOOO true! Let’s start mailing fashion pics or something to the heads of ABC Family

Comment by Belle – August 18, 2012 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Orrrr… You have bad taste

Comment by DOC – August 25, 2012 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • nooooooooo i LOVEEEEEEEEE jane by design its my favorite show other than pll!!!!! i hate abc family soooo much right now!!!!! It was getting a lot of views why would the stupid abcfamily people take it down?!?!?! hate abc family >:(

Comment by Deeksha – August 18, 2012 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • #SaveJaneByDesign

Comment by Maya – August 18, 2012 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • #SaveJaneByDesign that was such a good show im sooo angry!!!!!

Comment by Rebecca – August 18, 2012 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really sad about Jane By Design, but I love Bunheads. So conflicted right now.

Comment by Sienna – August 18, 2012 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Peeved…I LOVE Jane By Design!!!! Why pull the plug, geez I hate getting invested in a series only to be kicked in the gut by TPTB again and again. :( :( :(

Comment by Aryn – August 18, 2012 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • JANE BY DESIGN – say it ain’t so…I am beyond upset – I’m ragging mad!!!!! What can we do to save this show????? Send swatches of funky fabric to ABC Family execs :) Come on people let’s get a campaign going now!!!!!

Comment by Belle – August 18, 2012 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bunheads is okay…all the girls except Boo are annoyingly trying too hard to act – hopefully second half of season is a lot more fun :) Sasha is so boring as the bad girl, bring in some new blood – and oh yeah BRING BACK JANE BY DESIGN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Belle – August 18, 2012 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sweet, love Bunheads. My favorite show on tv this summer for sure. I love Sutton Foster and the dialog is of course very good. It does need some better ongoing story arcs, and a romance or two would help out a lot, but I love the show.

Comment by Christopher – August 18, 2012 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooooooooooooo. Bring back Jane By Design.

Comment by MJ – August 18, 2012 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boooo! I would take Jane over any of these .. loved gilmore girls but bunheads is awful

Comment by shann – August 19, 2012 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so SAD to lose Jane by Design. It was the sweetest, most positive show on television. I always felt lighter after every episode I watched. Now we’ll never get to see Jane and Billy together! Wah!!!!

Comment by mandapanda – August 20, 2012 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As much as Bunheads grew on me, I was hooked on Jane By Design. Such a fun cast and different than the usual storyline. This makes me really sad.

Comment by StaciH – August 21, 2012 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I knew about this. Nice. I think about the dialogue on some of the shows sometimes. Just sayin.

Comment by flychick86 – August 22, 2012 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A lil’ sad about Jane, though.

Comment by flychick86 – August 22, 2012 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HBO and Showtime kind of guy but…..boy do I love Bunheads. Sharp often edgy dialogue on ABC Fam? COOL!

Comment by DOC – August 25, 2012 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Jane By Design sucks to see it go without a real ending I think it had real potential, the actors were great. Sucks to see it go:(

Comment by Nikki – August 27, 2012 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am SOOO upset about Jane By Design!!! That was an AWESOME show! It had everything….fashion, love, comedy, drama, everything!!!!! I love Bunheads & Switched at Birth too….and while I do watch Babby Daddy….I don’t understand why that show would be renewed over Jane?!? Crazy! Babby Daddy is so cheesy & Disney channel-like! I do agree….none can compete with Pretty Little Liars ratings, but Jane still had so much to offer. It’s like when they said Make It Or Break It was cancelled before it was resolved. And I was SO glad they changed their minds & came back with one more season so that we could see our girls make it to the Olympics! I just hope they do the same with Jane so we can resolve some of those loose ends too!

Comment by luvingod333 – August 27, 2012 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You do realize that we never get to see the girls go to the Olympics because they cancelled Make it or Break it after the episode where you see who is going to the Olympics.

Comment by Lauren Kirsch – August 27, 2012 10:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what about the lying game?!??!

Comment by kelly – August 28, 2012 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What about The Lying Game?

Comment by nick1372 – August 28, 2012 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oops. I mean, what about it?

Comment by nick1372 – August 28, 2012 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s back in the winter.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – August 28, 2012 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe they cancelled the GREAT JANE BY DESIGN to leave on the retarded BUNHEADS! That show is crap and so is Baby Daddy. Don’t even get me started on the ridiculously, horrible, sorry excuse for a show, Switched at Birth. Why would anyone watch that show? It’s horrid. Sad that Jane is cancelled.. .This sucks.

Comment by Rachel – August 29, 2012 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I loved Jane by Design. liked the other shows too though but would definitely loved to see more of Jane

Comment by Cristina – August 29, 2012 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! They cant cancel Jane by Design.. They left on us on the edge! SO not fair, I really liked that show!

Comment by Cristina – August 29, 2012 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about the Lying Game?

Comment by Angelina – August 29, 2012 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was renewed long ago and is coming back this winter.

Comment by nick1372 – August 29, 2012 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Forreal I love the lying game ..

Comment by Tyra – August 30, 2012 04:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love pretty little liars, switched at birth, Melissa & Joey , & baby daddy ! But why does Jane by design have to get cancelled ? I love that show ! .. That really disappoints me .. That was definitely one of my all time favorites .. I hope it comes back …

Comment by Tyra – August 30, 2012 04:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so upset about Jane By Design! I have given many ABC Family shows a chance and I believe JBD was one of the best. I honestly gave Bunheads a chance but it never grabbed my attention. If it was a battle between acting/writing/story…JBD has more to offer.

At least I still have The Lying Game….for now.

Comment by Kristin – August 30, 2012 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bunheads! What a breath of fresh air! Thanks for renewing this wondderful show. Love it and love Sutton Foster! Great to see such talent, good acting, great stories, and great production all in one series. Keep them coming!

Comment by Jeneane. Mixon – September 1, 2012 06:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why the f* did they cancel Jane by Design??

Comment by Martha – September 2, 2012 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe because it got bad ratings…?

Comment by nick1372 – September 2, 2012 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the loss of Hubble in the first episode was too soon. I like the idea of a life of love starting with the knowledge that one of the two needs someone in their lives but just doesn’t know who or how. Getting a meaningful smack to the forehead where love and relationships reside is a really good place to start and a fascination that can be explored for a really long time. Michelle and Fanny let go of Hubble too easily, but they have a chance to grow together perhaps as family with a real commitment and need of family.
    Strangers thrown together by fate perhaps taking a chance to build a life for themselves with value and lack of self, or perhaps better, investment of acceptance of others in their lives.
    In my opinion a strong dose of the ” Pollyanna Ideals” are needed in our society today.

Comment by B Gon – September 3, 2012 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well I think jane by design is a GREAT show actualy is almost as good as psych and bones

Comment by grace – September 3, 2012 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring Jane by Design BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its like my favorite show…… cmon! pleaseeee

Comment by Jessica – September 3, 2012 10:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post