ABC Family Orders More Bunheads, Renews Switched at Birth and 2 Others, Cancels Jane

Somewhere, Amy Sherman-Palladino is doing a happy dance.

ABC Family has ordered additional episodes of the Gilmore Girls creator’s ballerina tale Bunheads. Additionally, the cabler has renewed Melissa & Joey, Switched at Birth and Baby Daddy, while Jane By Design has been given the ax.

VIDEO | Watch Bunheads‘ Big Finale Dance Number Now!

The Bunheads extension (which is rumored to be around eight episodes) ensures that Monday’s episode will be a summer and not a series finale. The Sutton Foster-Kelly Bishop dramedy is expected to resume production in October and return on air in early ’13.

Melissa & Joey will be heading into its third season, while Switched at Birth and Baby Daddy will both be entering Season 2. (The second half of SaB‘s rookie season bows Sept. 3; Baby Daddy and Melissa & Joey wrap Season 1 and Season 2, respectively, on Aug. 29.)

Finally, the decision to pull the plug on the struggling Jane By Design comes just weeks after the show ended its first season with 1.2 million viewers and a 0.4 demo rating, representing half of its Pretty Little Liars lead-in.

Thoughts? Which renewal are you most relieved about? Hit the comments!

1. Mari says:

Jane by Design was a great show. I can’t believe it!!

2. Love, Love, Love Bunheads! Hurray!!

3. apple says:

#SaveJaneByDesign

4. nick1372 says:

I love SAB and M&J. Great news!!!!

5. Lovetress says:

what happened to the lying game?

6. July Brody says:

Ok, i used to love Gilmore Girls, but Bunheads is SO BORING
    They need to renew Jane by Design and make better promo for the show!

• jchap says:

I loved Gilmore Girls and wanted to like Bunheads but I just don’t. It’s boring and aside from a few characters, most are unlikable. Jane by Design was a great little show. I wished they gave it a chance. It was light and cute and well written. Much better than a lot of ABC family shows.

• Templar says:

ITA. It’s like ASP is just picking through Gilmore Girls’ closets and garage and trying to make a show out of it. It’s gone off the rails already by missing the opportunity with the reclusive rich guy and having her jump into bed with the recycled “Digger”. Although, to be fair, I don’t see anything about her that would appeal to the rich guy.

7. Lovetress says:

The Lying game????

8. Caroline says:

=( jane by design noo…and sorry but Baby Daddy is not that good =/

9. Angie says:

Okay are you people are seriously retarded? Half of you are asking questions the article answered. Did you even read it? Or are you just really totally stupid!? Jane by Design SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN CANCELED. PUT THAT RIGHT UP THERE WITH GREEK BEING CANCELLED. ANOTHER DUMBASS MOVE BY ABCFAMILY! Super excited about everyone else. I hope Bunheads gets a second season in addition to it’s second half. I love that Melissa and Joey will be back because Joe is from my hometown and I love seeing locale’s be serious success!!!

• Templar says:

Even a retarded person could tell you that there is a comma missing and one “are” too many in your first sentence. Also, your third and fourth sentences should be just one sentence. Lastly, “locale’s” is wrong twice. Locales are places. Locals are people. And the apostrophe indicates possession which is inappropriate in that sentence. But, not being retarded, I guess you didn’t know those facts.

10. Kyle says:

I’m happy for Bunheads. I’m not that surprised by Jane by Design being canceled. I really haven’t watched the other shows renewed. I find it interesting that Switched at Birth was renewed without airing any of the episodes from the back order.

11. Christina says:

I am so glad that Switched at Birth is renewed for a second season!!!! I have been wondering about that for a while since I know SAB will have a 3rd part of season 1 airing 11 episodes beginning on September 3. I stopped watching Bunheads for a while and need to see past episodes before I can be happy for its addition of 8 episodes. I am not upset about Jane By Design being axed because I know the show is weak, quite repetitive and kind of boring. I am looking forward to having 3 of my favorite shows (Pretty Little Liars, Switched at Birth and The Lying Game) premiere and show during the winter.

12. Lilly says:

As a dancer, it is refreshing to see good ballet on TV…. wish the show was a little cleaner but i still LOVE Bunheads!

13. CJ says:

Love Bunheads! So happy!

14. SP says:

I am so upset about Bunheads getting more episodes over Jane By Design! I watch Bunheads only because I loved Gilmore Girls was hoping it would improve but Jane By Design had become a weekly appointment with my television for me it was a new, fresh show and I really enjoyed it.

15. Ryann says:

JANE NOOOO

16. Woo hoo for Bunheads! Great news considering we thought this week’s episode was one of its best yet.

17. So glad that Bunheads is getting a back 8! Hopefully this’ll give ASP & Co to show a little more ballet (although not too much – the other GG elements are also why I love the show).

Also excited for a second season of Switched at Birth! I love so much about the show, especially the exposure to Deaf culture and ASL :)

I hope that no mention of Secret Life means that it might be on the chopping block. After the first couple seasons, I had to stop watching. Hearing teenagers talk about sex in every other conversation made me uncomfortable. Not to mention how obsessed they were with doing it and how often they acted on that. I know most teenagers are like that but still!

18. Yay for Bunheads!! It’s so weird Switched at Birth is still in season one.

19. “The second half of SaB‘s rookie season bows Sept. 3″
    you mean 3rd period…

20. Robin says:

Happy to hear Bunheads aka Gilmore Girls West is renewed. Maybe in extended episodes we will find out that Fanny is Emily’s long lost twin sister who rebelled against her uptight WASP, Connecticut upbringing. There could be a sisters reunion at the wedding of Emily’s daughter Lorelai to her long time love Luke!!! Yes, that’s right, still bitter!

21. Frances says:

Yesssss can’t wait for switched at Birth!!!

22. Kayla says:

Why are te canceling Jane By design?!?! I loved that show!! It’s so much better than Bun Heads… They always end up canceling the good shows and keeping the bad ones.. Nine lives of Chloe king was also a good show they cancelled.

23. Deeksha says:

nooooooooo i LOVEEEEEEEEE jane by design its my favorite show other than pll!!!!! i hate abc family soooo much right now!!!!! It was getting a lot of views why would the stupid abcfamily people take it down?!?!?! hate abc family >:(

24. Maya says:

#SaveJaneByDesign

25. Rebecca says:

#SaveJaneByDesign that was such a good show im sooo angry!!!!!

26. Sienna says:

I’m really sad about Jane By Design, but I love Bunheads. So conflicted right now.

27. Aryn says:

Peeved…I LOVE Jane By Design!!!! Why pull the plug, geez I hate getting invested in a series only to be kicked in the gut by TPTB again and again. :( :( :(

28. Belle says:

JANE BY DESIGN – say it ain’t so…I am beyond upset – I’m ragging mad!!!!! What can we do to save this show????? Send swatches of funky fabric to ABC Family execs :) Come on people let’s get a campaign going now!!!!!

29. Belle says:

Bunheads is okay…all the girls except Boo are annoyingly trying too hard to act – hopefully second half of season is a lot more fun :) Sasha is so boring as the bad girl, bring in some new blood – and oh yeah BRING BACK JANE BY DESIGN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30. Christopher says:

Sweet, love Bunheads. My favorite show on tv this summer for sure. I love Sutton Foster and the dialog is of course very good. It does need some better ongoing story arcs, and a romance or two would help out a lot, but I love the show.

31. MJ says:

Nooooooooooooo. Bring back Jane By Design.

32. shann says:

Boooo! I would take Jane over any of these .. loved gilmore girls but bunheads is awful

33. mandapanda says:

I am so SAD to lose Jane by Design. It was the sweetest, most positive show on television. I always felt lighter after every episode I watched. Now we’ll never get to see Jane and Billy together! Wah!!!!

34. StaciH says:

As much as Bunheads grew on me, I was hooked on Jane By Design. Such a fun cast and different than the usual storyline. This makes me really sad.

35. flychick86 says:

I knew about this. Nice. I think about the dialogue on some of the shows sometimes. Just sayin.

36. flychick86 says:

A lil’ sad about Jane, though.

37. DOC says:

HBO and Showtime kind of guy but…..boy do I love Bunheads. Sharp often edgy dialogue on ABC Fam? COOL!

38. Nikki says:

I loved Jane By Design sucks to see it go without a real ending I think it had real potential, the actors were great. Sucks to see it go:(

39. luvingod333 says:

I am SOOO upset about Jane By Design!!! That was an AWESOME show! It had everything….fashion, love, comedy, drama, everything!!!!! I love Bunheads & Switched at Birth too….and while I do watch Babby Daddy….I don’t understand why that show would be renewed over Jane?!? Crazy! Babby Daddy is so cheesy & Disney channel-like! I do agree….none can compete with Pretty Little Liars ratings, but Jane still had so much to offer. It’s like when they said Make It Or Break It was cancelled before it was resolved. And I was SO glad they changed their minds & came back with one more season so that we could see our girls make it to the Olympics! I just hope they do the same with Jane so we can resolve some of those loose ends too!

40. kelly says:

what about the lying game?!??!

41. Rachel says:

I can’t believe they cancelled the GREAT JANE BY DESIGN to leave on the retarded BUNHEADS! That show is crap and so is Baby Daddy. Don’t even get me started on the ridiculously, horrible, sorry excuse for a show, Switched at Birth. Why would anyone watch that show? It’s horrid. Sad that Jane is cancelled.. .This sucks.

• Cristina says:

I agree. I loved Jane by Design. liked the other shows too though but would definitely loved to see more of Jane

42. Cristina says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! They cant cancel Jane by Design.. They left on us on the edge! SO not fair, I really liked that show!

43. Angelina says:

What about the Lying Game?

44. Tyra says:

I love pretty little liars, switched at birth, Melissa & Joey , & baby daddy ! But why does Jane by design have to get cancelled ? I love that show ! .. That really disappoints me .. That was definitely one of my all time favorites .. I hope it comes back …

45. Kristin says:

I am so upset about Jane By Design! I have given many ABC Family shows a chance and I believe JBD was one of the best. I honestly gave Bunheads a chance but it never grabbed my attention. If it was a battle between acting/writing/story…JBD has more to offer.

At least I still have The Lying Game….for now.

46. Bunheads! What a breath of fresh air! Thanks for renewing this wondderful show. Love it and love Sutton Foster! Great to see such talent, good acting, great stories, and great production all in one series. Keep them coming!

47. Martha says:

Why the f* did they cancel Jane by Design??

48. B Gon says:

I think the loss of Hubble in the first episode was too soon. I like the idea of a life of love starting with the knowledge that one of the two needs someone in their lives but just doesn’t know who or how. Getting a meaningful smack to the forehead where love and relationships reside is a really good place to start and a fascination that can be explored for a really long time. Michelle and Fanny let go of Hubble too easily, but they have a chance to grow together perhaps as family with a real commitment and need of family.
    Strangers thrown together by fate perhaps taking a chance to build a life for themselves with value and lack of self, or perhaps better, investment of acceptance of others in their lives.
    In my opinion a strong dose of the ” Pollyanna Ideals” are needed in our society today.

49. grace says:

Well I think jane by design is a GREAT show actualy is almost as good as psych and bones

50. Jessica says:

Bring Jane by Design BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its like my favorite show…… cmon! pleaseeee