Exclusive Political Animals Finale Sneak Peek: Can TJ Be Saved from Old Demons?

This Sunday at 10/9c, as USA Network’s Political Animals uncorks its roller coaster of a season finale, matters at home take as much precedence as those concerning the State Department or Oval Office.

As seen in this exclusive sneak peek at the season ender, TJ (played by Sebastian Stan) — barely out of the hospital after a near-fatal OD — aims to get out his mom’s house to run some “errands.” Yet no gruff Secret Service grunt can hold a candle to Ellen Burstyn‘s Grandma Margaret, who uses strong words versus a stiff arm to try to keep the recovering, oft-relapsing addict from reuniting with old demons.

RELATED | Political Animals: Could Buzz Offset Soft Ratings and Beget a Season 2? With the Same Cast?

Press play below to see if the self-derided “booze hound” can keep this particular grandson from making the same old mistakes.

1. Roger says:

God I love this show. I wish the ratings were higher though… unfortunately it has some VERY tough competition

2. Talia says:

Really enjoying Political Animals. Hope to see it get a second season.

3. TJ doesn’t need to be saved, believe me, he is perfect as he is. The only compelling character in this show

4. shuayb says:

They need a season 2!! Most amazinf political show since West Wing!!!

5. itsme says:

I really hope this show gets renewed, its fantastic. And it is on a really tough night.

6. Fyrkat says:

Go, Grandma!
    She’s the only one who seems to understand TJ.
    Just hope her wisdom gets through to him.

7. EveatEden says:

Love this show. Such GREAT actors in it. Love Sebastian Stan!

8. Denise Holmes says:

Can’t wait to see this episode. Sebastian Stan rocks!

9. jazzhound says:

Please extend this FANTASTIC show into a full season! While ratings have been mediocre, I think it’s largely a function of the tough time slot and Olympic coverage. USA is sitting on a gold mine with this incredible story and cast. It’s pure quality from top to bottom!

10. TV Gord says:

Why do so many cable show premiere on Sunday nights at 9 (or 10)? Even Oprah, who could use some stronger ratings, premieres her biggest OWN shows opposite the best across the cable dial. I could see this kind of counterprogramming if the rest of the schedules were stacked with shows, but they’re not!

11. Jack R says:

Can he be saved? I think the larger question for the audience is how much do we care? Personally, this is the least interesting subplot of a fairly interesting political drama.. But it’s a bit too soapy for its own good.. Nearly every major plot point has been telegraphed well in advance. Not the least of which was his second overdose..

12. GeoDiva says:

I really like this show too, but it’s not on until 10pm here. That is way too late for me on a “work night”, so have to catch it later in the week on my DVR. Hope we get another season!

13. Jake says:

Haven’t heard anything about a renewal which does not bode well or am I wrong?

14. Martin says:

PLEEEAAASSSSEEE USA renew this show, it is sooo good. Love The TJ stuff but the show overall is fantastic as well.

USA always are chasing that elusive Emmy recognition, and I think this is the show to do it for them, it will be competing with AHS next year for sure.

Yeah the ratings are not great but the past two weeks it has gone up, against the olympics, and it will probably go up even more next week for the finale.

It is just so good it has to be renewed. Yeah, they made a mistake putting it in a very competitive timeslot without a lead-in but they could but it behind an established show like Burn Notice or Royal Pains or even Suits, I know the shows have a very different feel to them than this but would give it a better shot.

Matt: What do you rate its chances of renewal.

15. P. Grace says:

This show is absolutely wonderful. Absolutely renew it. Who can we write? Reminds me of the excellency of “Friday Night Lights”.

16. M. Price says:

Yes, renew this show!!! I LOVE it! But I agree w/other posters, it should def be on a different night.

17. Joey says:

This show is absolutely riveting…just finished watching season finale. Please, please renew !! The writing, the cast…everything !!! ( and Sigournery Weaver… brilliant as always. )

18. Shirley says:

The best new series of the season. I love it !!!

19. Love this show Political Animals, great cast, great storyline & I almost missed because it was not advertised enough on TV. Great, great show, really looking forward to next season.