Exclusive

Exclusive: Glee Exec on Season 4's Big 'Breakup' Episode: 'It's Like Titanic - Not All Will Make It'

Glee‘s super couples are heading into Season 4 on a collision course with the mother of all icebergs.

In an exclusive interview with TVLine, executive producer Brad Falchuk is shedding ominous new light on this season’s much-buzzed-about fourth episode, “The Break-Up.”

“All of the core relationships are tested,” he previews of the hour, which fellow EP Ryan Murphy first hinted about on Twitter last week. “I’m not going to say who breaks up and who doesn’t, but they all — Santana/Brittany, Kurt/Blaine, Will/Emma, Rachel/Finn — get kicked in the nuts. And it’s all about how do they recover — and can they recover? And some don’t. Absolutely some don’t. Of those couples, not all of them are going to make it. It’s like Titanic.”

PHOTOS | 12 Major Glee Spoilers on Season 4

Of those duos, Rachel/Finn — who already essentially split in the finale — and Kurt/Blaine appear to be the most vulnerable. Regarding the latter duo, Falchuk conceded that Kurt’s decision to follow Rachel to New York while Blaine enters his senior year at McKinley will test their romance like never before.

“Long-distance relationships are hard,” he acknowledged. “They’re not impossible, but they’re really hard. And with all the couples we’re really trying to look at what it takes to have a relationship when one person leaves. It’s particularly hard when somebody graduates high school and someone is still in high school. The second you graduate high school you’re in a different world. You see things differently, your needs are different, your perspective on things is different. So I think it’s a pretty tough challenge.”

VIDEO | Glee‘s First Season 4 Trailer Unmasks Sue’s Demon Spawn

Figuring out who these characters are outside of their respective romances is a major theme of Season 4, notes Falchuk. “Relationships in general will be less of a focus this year,” he says. “I personally think a lot of these characters are more interesting not in relationships. And I think with a lot of them we will be exploring that. Whether they break up or not, we’re really focused on giving them more individual stories.”

1. Steve says:

Well as long as Cory monteith gets his screen time and that Ryan’s new boy toy does not interfere with Cory screentime do not care what he does. If Cory needs to be on an episode to be paid then he better be on all the episodes he can.

2. Jessie says:

I love how all the Brittana and Klaine fans have been raising holy hell for months wanting equality for their couples up to speed with Finchel. Be careful what you wish for. Finchel have broken up 3 times. You can’t just pick and choose what you want them to be equal on. You want more kisses? You might get more break ups. You want more serious couple conversations? You might get a love triangle thrown in to GET these conversations.

• Sean C. says:

Wanting the writers to be both fair and more creative is not mutually exclusive. Though as someone who’s been hammering the writers on their double standards, I’d rather the gay characters get their share of awful dramatic storylines, since that at least would indicate the writers are trying their usual “magic”, instead of ignoring them and talking about how progressive they are. Then one can say the show is handling the couples terribly in the same way, rather than terribly in different ways.

• Sue says:

Be careful of what you wish for. All I see all over Glee forums are Klaines fans wailing that they don’t want Kurt and Blaine to break up.

• Sean C. says:

Er, I just said I’d rather the writers do their usual thing with all the couples, then blatantly ignore some couples (Klaine really wasn’t ignored, anyway; it had the second-most screentime of any couple, and was taken seriously; its distinct issue was the lack of PDA).

• arianna says:

Which is the real reason they’re breaking up either Klaine or Brittana. They have problems when it comes to writing gay couples, huge problems. People can say they find them boring (klaine) or unhealthy (brittana) but you know what, a huge amount of people find Finchel boring on top of horrible but we still have to deal with them. We all have our favorite couples, but clearly Klaine or Brittana are breaking up because when it comes to Falchuk, his opinion is “no homo unless it’s hot lesbians and they can only make out lol no talking ew feelings”. He breaks up Brittana, they don’t have to deal with girl feelings, they break up Klaine they don’t have to deal with boys being affectionate. I wish Murphy were still in control, I feel like he was ultra involved in season 2 and that’s when things were most balanced for couples. Season 3 became the Finchel show and season 4 is just gonna be a hot mess.

• @arianna says:

Every word you typed is right on the money. Even if Brittana and Klaine don’t break up, they’ll be “cleverly” separated by distance so the writers don’t have to deal with icky girl feelings or scary boy kisses. Completely sums up why this show fails at queer representation. And there are those who think this show is clever enough to incorporate genderqueer characters without being horribly offensive and painfully obvious (look out, Unique).

3. O says:

Will Sebastian (Grant Gustin) still be on the show? I want to see more of him. Maybe Blake can join the show and be paired with Sebastian.

4. Victoria Chadwick says:

I really don’t want klaine to split :(

5. Raegan says:

I’m a Brittany/Santana fan, that being said, I wouldn’t mind them breaking up if I knew they were endgame, but I don’t have that same luxury that Kurt/Blaine and Finn/Rachel have, they know their ships are endgame. If those two couples break up it really doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things, they’ll find a way back to each other. Brittany and Santana? Once they’re done, I’m sure they’ll be done for good. And that’s sad to me. They’ve been an inspirational pairing to a lot of young women. Wasted opportunities if you ask me.

• Jessie says:

Aww, you made me sad for your shipper heart <3 Good points and I agree! I am a Finchel fan so we do know they will end up together so I have never thought about if from your point of view. ***HUGS***

• @arianna says:

Aw! I’m pretty sure Brittana is endgame, if only because they don’t seem to like putting new gay girl characters on the show (Brittany and Santana to like…10 gay guys over the course of three seasons). I’m not saying it will be well written, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re together at the end.

6. Debra says:

Since Ryan Murphy already leaked that Will and Emma do NOT get married I would say they are on the list of failed love!

• Fiona says:

He was talking about season three not season four. Also Ryan, Brad, and Matthew Morrison have already stated a wedding is in the cards for this season.

7. rebecca says:

I’m so glad Klaine is ending. They are boring, Blaine’s a douche (and a very flat character) and Kurt deserves so much more.

8. laura says:

Will and emma are not getting married, ryan said that so that relation ship is over but if he breaks up blaine and kurt i will come after him with a pitch fork

• Rachel says:

RYAN SAID THAT ABOUT SEASON 3. HE STATED TWO DAYS AGO THAT WILL AND EMMA ARE GETTING MARRIED AS DID BRAD FALCHUK THIS SEASON. MATT HAS ALSO BEEN TOLD THERE IS A WEDDING COMING SO IT’S NOT WEMMA.

• Jessie says:

Actually, he didn’t. he said “Let’s get them married first” when someone asked about babies. He didn’t say they WILL be getting married. And Matt Morrison said he thought a wedding was in the cards, but he hadn’t seen the scripts yet. Also, Ryan said they won’t be getting married in November when that was discussed. You can’t rule Wemma out just yet. Sorry.

• Jamie says:

Ryan’s interview from last May was referring to the season finale of season 3. It came out the day before Graduation. He then cleared up in a later interview that he meant season three. The writers have stated that a Wemma wedding is coming but not right away and Morrison has heard it’s in the cards for this season.

• Jane says:

Ryan has never stated Wemma are not getting married in November. The only thing Ryan stated which he cleared up in a later interview is that they were not getting married in the graduation episode.

9. Aubrey says:

I’m surprised. There aren’t to many Wemma comments. I hope to see them start a family<3 And I can't wait to see Sue's baby!

10. Amanda says:

I think Klaine should stay together!!!! They make a cute couple!!!

11. Rebecca says:

Why is this show still on the air?? They graduated! Or is it like “oops we entered the grades wrong and none of you have enough credits to graduate! You have to come back!” be gone Glee. Season 1 was very good, season 2 got old, and I didn’t even bother to watch season 3 at all.

12. Caro says:

I only care about Finn and Rachel so I don’t really care what happens to everyone else. In terms of interesting television, I’d say the most at risk couple would be Brittana. Brittany is still in high school and will be suspectible to someone else. I can’t see them breaking up Will and Emma but you never know…her OCD could develop into an issue. And how about Mike and Tina? They are in a long distance relationship too!

13. maya says:

Im just going to say with no discussion needed that i hate Blaine. I have never liked him so hears to Kurt being single in NYC. I don’t really like the finchel thing either but not in the same way that i cant stand the klane thing.

14. Elly says:

i hope its karofsky to come in a break up kirk and blain.

• Sean C. says:

Yeah, we really need to see Kurt hook up with the guy who stalked him, repeatedly assaulted him, and threatened his life.

• Alex says:

Didn’t you know he just had a lot of pain? Who cares if he took it all out on Kurt while only caring about himself, that only made their ~bond stronger!! Gross.

• Ann says:

Karofsky is a manly jock, so his feelings are the most important. Kurt needs to understand that and it’s his job to help him get better! And when Karofsky is no longer regularly assaulting people, he deserves a reward for being such a good guy: Kurt!

15. Jay says:

What was that about Kurt following Rachel? What about following his dreams? Didn’t he dream about New York? It’s clear the writers just want Kurt to be Rachel’s handbag 100%. They’ll keep Finchel together because…well, I actually don’t know why they’re still together at this point, but they will. They’ll keep Wemma together because they’re engaged and have been through a lot. They’ll keep Brittana together so they can kiss in reunion episodes. And Klaine will break up so Kurt can be Rachel’s Best Gay without any distractions. Kurt is written so well outside of his relationship, he doesn’t revolve around Blaine the way Rachel unhealthily revolves around Finn, so giving THIS reason and breaking up Klaine is ridiculous. And after everything they’ve said, after how strong their relationship has been, if this is it for Klaine and they aren’t endgame, than this show is even messier than I thought.

16. Abi says:

Omg I can’t :( Klaine, no no no no :(

17. Brad Falchuk says:

So, a lot of people are complaining that this will be “another breakup for Finchel”. To be fair, have they even gotten back together? The stuff that was filmed might actually be something along the lines of he left the army to go visit her when Blaine went to visit Kurt. And when Finn and she meet up they both decide that now isn’t the time to come back together yet. Lets not forget, the scenes that have been filmed show Blaine and Kurt talking, Kurt running off, and the opening lines of “Don’t Speak” (by No Doubt) are being sung; not by Chris or Darren…but by Cory (look it up on youtube, someone was on set and filmed it being filmed and leaked it). Just a thought guys…just a thought ;-)

18. lexibear says:

I don’t think people should be complaining, Glee is an awesome show, just let the writers do their thing so it can be a surprise, I don’t think we should be voting for who is going to break up, they are all amazing couples., the writers and director will know what to do, and it doesn’t matter what we think

19. Kennan says:

If Brittana breaks up they will lose a viewer! Or two, my friend is the SAME way!

20. JJ says:

Finchel forever!

21. Katie says:

Hey Glee! Reality check…Everyone is tired of the Finchael drama. No one cares about them anymore, and just keep the couples people actually care about, like Britanna and Klaine together! No wonder the show is losing it’s audience.

• Jessie says:

Please don’t speak for “everyone” because you definitely don’t speak for me. Finchel are the only reason I watch Glee anymore. And if you had read the majority of the comments on here, you see the majority ARE Finchel fans. So don’t be presumptuous that just because you don’t like something that NO ONE does.

• Tara says:

The writers need this reality check Finchel ruined Rachel and Finn last season all I want is for them to be apart.

22. Nathan S says:

Its going to be will and emma who split. No question about it.

23. Evin says:

Why the secretism? we already know Klaine is breaking up, Finchel too. If they wanted to keep it a secret they shouldn´t have filmed those scenes outside… I love Klaine but last season they were really boring and they hardly had any storylines. I´m sure they will get back together at some point, but they could use some individual storylines and growth.

24. Katie says:

Don’t get me wrong, I like both of them but Wouldn’t it make more sense for Britanna to break up instead of Klaine. Santana is also going to college, starting a new chapter in her life, while Brittany is in high school still, and lets face it….not the best at staying with one person while in a relationship. Klaine on the other hand truly care for each other, i’m pretty sure their relationship can handle being long distance. And it’s Ohio for christ sakes!!!! It will be like a # hr bus ride if they want to see each other that badly!! It’s not like Kurt is going to Europe or something!

• Sean C. says:

I could see both or neither of them breaking up (on this show, literally anything can happen at any time because the writers don’t care), but Louisville is noticeably closer to Lima than New York is, so you can’t really say that New York isn’t that far away for Klaine but is prohibitive for Brittana.

• Jessie says:

And… Blaine is still in high school as well.

25. Bea says:

I admit it. I’m a Klaine shipper. But just because I ship Klaine doesn’t mean that I think all the other couples on the show need to be gay. As for the other couples, I think Rachel needs to grow up before she’s in a serious relationship with anyone, Santana could probably do well with or without Brittney, Will and Emma are awesome, and mike and Tina are kinda cute.

26. springdrop says:

Focus less on relationships? Yeah, right. 90% of what happened in the past three years happened because of makeups, breakups, someone trying to break others up, and so on. The whole show is centered on relationships, and if even the writers cannot recognize that. Well, that explains a lot.
    Imho, the Glee ship in sinking. Fast. …Like Titanic. lol I’m pretty positive this will be the last season. The characters have gotten boring. There are too many of them, and you cannot cram so many story-lines in 40 minutes.
    I think they are trying to make Glee seem too real. They kind of want to make it look like something that could happen in real life and at the same time make it so ridiculous it’s obvious something like this could never happen.
    In short, it’s a train-wreck. But that’s part of its charm, too.

It’s also pretty ridiculous how “Finchel fans” think that now that same sex couples will break up too, that means they achieved the equality they asked for. As ridiculous the other part of fandom asking for equality. As ridiculous as the producers bs-ing their way through it with “We did so much for the LGBT community”.
    Equality will never be achieved as long as this show is on Fox and as long as its writers care more about viewers and money than their so-called values. But hey, that’s showbiz.

27. Marisa says:

One of the producers stated in an interview a few months ago that Will won’t get married. So that is likely the big break up. I agree that all of the characters are more interesting as individuals than couples.

28. lexibear says:

Okay first off Rachel and Fin, broke up in the end of season 3 when Fin told Rachel to go live her dream and if they are ment to he then they will find a way back to each other , so everyone stop saying they are going to end, because they already have

29. Tim says:

The Klaine relationship got old and offensive so quickly that I have no qualms seeing it go up to the chopping block. Good riddance.

30. olivia says:

I think that if Klaine break-up some people may stop watching the show! finchel get ssoooooooo much air time that even finchel fans get bored :( i am a klaine fanatic i would love them to spice it up with an argument (i loved the make-up in wanna dance with someody) i think when/if they do break up they HAVE to make-up cause it would be lovely to see they i love u’s at the end of it! I think personally Finchel shoukld break-up with finn going to the army, and rachel ggoing to NYADA it will be better for the both of them finn will obviously die and Rachel will find it hard to fit into NYADA. I just feel klaine and fans will find it hard to cope with the break-up finchel definately need it! inconclusion finchel = disatrous break-up klaine NEED to stay together!

• bea says:

Breaking up Klaine would be some good drama, but I do agree that they need to make up eventually. They also need to grow in separate places for a while, Blaine especially needs to be developed outside of his relationship.

• Jessie says:

You want Finn to die?!? Are you kidding me?! First, your grammar is atrocious so I THINK I understand what you are attempting to say. As a Finchel fan I can tell you I did not get bored with their story line. Because they had their ups and downs. They weren’t a “perfect” relationship. Have you had a real relationship? Because they aren’t perfect. I think Klaine will be interesting shaken up. Not necessarily broken up, but talking about conflicts is GOOD. When they had couples counselling and discussed their future and feelings, that was GOOD. I just wish it hadn’t been resolved so quickly because I think this will come up again especially with Kurt wanting to go to NYC. So, I agree. I don’t think Klaine should break up, but they definitely need something to spice up the story line. And I think a break up will happen, regardless of MY or YOUR opinion.

• Kay says:

I agree. If they have to break up Kurt and Blaine, so be it. But I’m hoping they will get back together before the season ends because I feel they are perfect for each other. But individual growth is good. I just don’t want Sebastian to get his hands on Blaine but I have a feeling he may be a part of the problem between Kurt and Blaine’s conflict/drama that leads to all of this.

31. Kiana says:

I’m ready for Finchel to be over, the complete opposite can be said for Brittana

32. erin says:

Does Brad realize how little everything he said makes sense in regards to Klaine and Brittana? If either of those couples break up because the characters need to be focused on as individuals it will make no sense. Santana’s coming out storyline was handled 100% without Brittany, and where was Blaine when Kurt was having a hard time in On My Way? Where was Kurt when Blaine was dealing with Finn? Those two couples deal with their own issues. Wemma and Finchel however are all up in each other’s lives and their storylines are intertwined to the point of annoyance. So just stop, Brad, and tell us the real reason you’re breaking them up. Too much homo?

33. ugh! says:

Excellent point Erin! Although, I think they’re just so lazy they can’t think of anything else. But yeah, they probably don’t want any kisses this year between Kurt and Blaine.

34. dude says:

I just want Aylin to be on it. Sorry guys, not over it.

35. bea says:

I’m excited for Klaine drama, I highly doubt a breakup would be permanent. That would just be stupid. Klaine/Brittana/Finchel/Wemma, those should be the big ones, everything else is expendable in my eyes.

36. RachelA says:

I cannot WAIT for Klaine to break up. So tired of it, so over it. It was never all that engaging to begin with but it’s gotten painful lately.

37. Katie says:

Keep Finchel broken up and get Puckleberry together!

38. Brotp says:

LOL in the word of Emma, “oh nobody’s safe, nobody’s safe…”

Shoot, I’m excited for individual developments. I’d love to see more friendships, l mean hello, Brotp opportunity. Maybe Rachel/Santana, or Tina/Brittany.

I’m a Finchel shipper, and yes I’ve been through a hella lot of break ups and love triangles, but in the end, the reward is great. Even despite all that, they never stopped loving each other, and I am positive that will continue. So if your OTP breaks up, just keep your head up high and hope for an epic reunion, and hey, we still have those sweet Brittana kisses thanks to RM’s tumblr.

Oh and I wonder who’s Artie’s new girlfriend is…

39. ddd says:

Seblaine, maybe? (:

• Boo says:

Kurtbastian, if anything. Blaine is boring.

• erin says:

lol because an effemiphobic classist jerk who has only ever insulted Kurt and his friends and put his boyfriend in the hospital is what Kurt really needs. Jesus christ.

• Ally says:

He accidently scraped blaine in the eyeball. I think Blaine won’t want to get too close to that mess. Sebastian could eventually persude him though I suppose, through just not being so sexually forward all the time, and connecting more on an emotional level. I can see that happening.

• Ann says:

Blaine was never even into Sebastian. And after what happened? No way. Blaine is not some wilted flower. He knows how to put someone in their place. “None of that was classy. Nothing.”

40. Jenny says:

What ever Happens lets Hope Blake’s Character is not Made Gay

41. Joanie says:

Finchel is the most annoying couple on the show, hands down. I’d rather see Rachel back with Jesse than with Finn. The way they wrote her character this season totally ruined the show for me. Clingy, obsessive, and insecure. From the first episode, we knew exactly what Rachel wanted. Finn ruined that.

• Jessie says:

I thought in the first episode what Rachel wanted was Finn. I don’t see how he ruined that. She got what she was after.

42. BrittanaFTW says:

Since Santana and Brittany are both girls does that mean they won’t “get kicked in the nuts”

43. Jake says:

You know what? Enough with this crap!!! I just can’t stand it anymore!! I have respect for all the couples (love Brittana, tough), but this whole situation is just ridiculous… Why can’t they just stay quiet about everything… I want to be surprised, I want couples like Brittana and Klaine to be treated fairly, whith proper storylines, I want Brittany to be a real character, not just a shadow of one…. We, the fans, we deserve this!! We keep this show on air.. I still have strong hopes, after all, Glee helped me to really show myself, to understand how powerfull this like love can be… I’m out and proud, and Glee and its characters were essential through this somehow difficult process.. So, I can’t wait for Sep. 13… And writers, SHUT UP!! Stop teasing the fandoms!! It’s about time!!! And guys, let’s wait and see… If it’s not worth it, live goes one, and let’s keep only the good memories..

44. MoncheleWorshiper says:

I’m laughing so hard right now because all the Klaine shipers are depressed or crying because of the break-up between Kurt and Blaine. And the Finchel Fandom we’re like “Aha it’s your turn now!” We’re used to this, but it’s weird to see other Fandom “explode”. But we we’re there: F#ck, we can not trust Ryan # FinchelForever “

45. Frida says:

Hope Finchel breaks up and stay that way. They are so boring together….

46. Joanie says:

However, I am Puckelberry FTW.

47. B says:

The ONE thing that I want is Kurt happy. I think I’d be ok with him dating someone else for a while but I hope Klaind gets back togethef anyway….my OTP <3
    But…as long as Kurt is happy. <3

48. alesharose says:

I am exicited for this year! It should be interesting to see how the characters develop without the people they have used as a cructh in their lives for so long. Im particulary intrested to see the Finn and Rachel story play out, as they are my favorite couple. No offense to any of the couples.

49. Laura Wallis says:

my guess is that Santana/Brittany, and Kurt/Blaine break up. Will/Emma, and Rachel/Finn stay together.

my reason for this is that Britt and Blaine are still in high school thus in the main cast so the writers probably want to get them into new romances. But Glee is good at throwing curve balls, so I guess we won’t know until Sept. 13th

50. Jade says:

Honestly, I don’t expect anyone to think that Klaine won’t get back together by the end of the season at the very least. But they’re getting old, Criss has said himself that they’re verging on “old married couple” status. They need to spice things up a bit, it’s unrealistic for couples to be happy rainbows all the time. People in high school don’t tend to keep one relationship, they branch out, they experiment, they mature and grow away from each other. But then again, this is Ryan Murphy we’re talking about. Anything can happen.