Report: Abby Elliott Leaving Saturday Night Live

Abby Elliott Saturday Night LiveWell, this is a major bummer: Abby Elliott is out at Saturday Night Live.

After four seasons, the brains behind Quirky Girl With Zooey Deschanel has opted not to return for Season 38, Splitsider reports.

VIDEO | SNL — The 10 Best Sketches From The Past Season

Her departure brings to three the number of SNL vets exiting NBC’s late-night institution; she joins previously announced bolters Kristen Wiig and Andy Samberg. Meanwhile, rumors persist that Jason Sudeikis is eying the exit door as well.

Questions about Elliott’s SNL future were first raised last spring when she landed the female lead in the Fox comedy pilot Ben and Kate. The role was eventually recast with Dakota Johnson.

RELATED | Andy Samberg Confirms SNL Exit

In addition to Deschanel, Elliott’s other notable celebrity impressions included Angelina Jolie, Rachael Maddow and Khloé Kardashian.

Thoughts? Bummed SNL is losing its Quirky edge? Which one of Elliott’s personas will you miss the most? Hit the comments!

1. Brian says:

Remember the name Lauren Lapkus. She’ll be in the cast this year.

2. JenInChicago says:

I’m bummed. The Quirky Girl sketch always cracks me up. The episode where she sang just the word “Art” was my favorite….I laughed so hard at that.

3. Thea says:

This is just depressing. If Hader leaves, my love affair with SNL is done.

4. El Mexicano says:

It’s hard to miss someone when they are very rarely ever used. I liked her on SNL but I don’t think they used her enough

5. ChangesNeeded says:

Show needs new writers — including head writer. I love Seth, but show was funnier when Tina was at the helm.

• George says:

Heard Seth was going to Live! with Kelly

• Jill says:

I second this about Seth. I really like him, and I don’t know if it’s him at the helm or the quality of writers they currently have, but something needs to change. Andy Samberg, Nasim Pedrad & Bill Hader were never used to their potential last season. If he becomes Kelly’s co-host, I hope some new blood will bring the show back.

• The Squatch says:

Too bad they couldn’t talk Tina into coming back in as head writer again after this final season of 30 Rock. That would be great.

6. brandon says:

I’m not surprised, because she was never used. But I’m still sad about it. I’m still sad about Andy and Kristen being gone!

7. Amanda says:

Sucks. I think with Wiig leaving, she would have been utilized more this year.

8. andy says:

I’m only going to be watching for Bill Hader and Taran Killam, but I’m so depressed right now.

9. SJ says:

Thank god! How she made it for four seasons without getting canned along the way is beyond me! Now if only Jay Pharaoh would leave, that would be the icing on the cake!

10. Joe says:

FYI-I think has a lot more to do with her dating several of her SNL co-stars and causing major drama on the set between everyone over the past few years.

11. mawhi says:

If this means Vanessa and Kate and Nasim will get the chance to shine, I’m happy!

12. Ali says:

Good riddance. Her impressions were ok, but she was generally unfunny.

13. KD says:

I’m not really upset about this because she was so infrequently utilized. I can’t blame her for moving on.

14. Rock Golf says:

The first, and so far only 3rd generation legacy SNL performer.
    Her dad Chris Elliott was a cast member and her grandfather Bob Elliott (of Bob & Ray) co-hosted an SNL special with the ladies of the original Not Ready For Prime Time Players (Jane Curtin, Gilda Radner, Larraine Newman)

15. jess says:

wow another one? is there even going to be a SNL next season?

16. JASon says:

Sucks. I found her way funnier then the awful Kristen Wiig who was used in every sketch. She was the best female impressionist the show ever had!!!

17. Peter says:

Maybe now they can finally use Jay Pharoah more. Funniest SNL cast member in years.

18. Jason Sudeikis and Bill Hader need to leave now too because all the other good people are leaving.

now that Abby has left, she should join the cast of New Girl. Cece’s model roommates can move out and leave room for Abby to join as her new roommate, and hang out with the group or date Nick or something.

19. Jake says:

Give it to Emma Stone. She even mentioned she wanted to be a permanent cast member back doing an interview after hosting the show. Shes a big star and shes talented.

20. Magically Suspicious says:

I never liked her father, and I’m sure that colored my opinion of her. I wonder if I would have liked her more if I had not known she was Chris Elliott’s daughter.

21. maggie says:

I had hoped that with Wiig leaving it would mean SNL would use Abby more. She’s talented and should do well in a sitcom.

22. Matt says:

Why is she leaving? She can’t have very many options.