Report: Abby Elliott Leaving Saturday Night Live

Get More: News

Abby Elliott Saturday Night LiveWell, this is a major bummer: Abby Elliott is out at Saturday Night Live.

After four seasons, the brains behind Quirky Girl With Zooey Deschanel has opted not to return for Season 38, Splitsider reports.

VIDEO | SNL — The 10 Best Sketches From The Past Season

Her departure brings to three the number of SNL vets exiting NBC’s late-night institution; she joins previously announced bolters Kristen Wiig and Andy Samberg. Meanwhile, rumors persist that Jason Sudeikis is eying the exit door as well.

Questions about Elliott’s SNL future were first raised last spring when she landed the female lead in the Fox comedy pilot Ben and Kate. The role was eventually recast with Dakota Johnson.

RELATED | Andy Samberg Confirms SNL Exit

In addition to Deschanel, Elliott’s other notable celebrity impressions included Angelina Jolie, Rachael Maddow and Khloé Kardashian.

Thoughts? Bummed SNL is losing its Quirky edge? Which one of Elliott’s personas will you miss the most? Hit the comments!

Comments (33)

• Remember the name Lauren Lapkus. She’ll be in the cast this year.

Comment by Brian – August 15, 2012 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have always thought she was more of a stand-up than a sketch comic, but that would be interesting casting.

Comment by CJ – August 15, 2012 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m bummed. The Quirky Girl sketch always cracks me up. The episode where she sang just the word “Art” was my favorite….I laughed so hard at that.

Comment by JenInChicago – August 15, 2012 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is just depressing. If Hader leaves, my love affair with SNL is done.

Comment by Thea – August 15, 2012 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s hard to miss someone when they are very rarely ever used. I liked her on SNL but I don’t think they used her enough

Comment by El Mexicano – August 15, 2012 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. I found her far more hilarious than Wiig yet Wiig was constantly shoved down our throats.

Comment by Chaz Worm – September 3, 2012 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Show needs new writers — including head writer. I love Seth, but show was funnier when Tina was at the helm.

Comment by ChangesNeeded – August 15, 2012 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Heard Seth was going to Live! with Kelly

Comment by George – August 15, 2012 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I second this about Seth. I really like him, and I don’t know if it’s him at the helm or the quality of writers they currently have, but something needs to change. Andy Samberg, Nasim Pedrad & Bill Hader were never used to their potential last season. If he becomes Kelly’s co-host, I hope some new blood will bring the show back.

Comment by Jill – August 15, 2012 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Too bad they couldn’t talk Tina into coming back in as head writer again after this final season of 30 Rock. That would be great.

Comment by The Squatch – August 15, 2012 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not surprised, because she was never used. But I’m still sad about it. I’m still sad about Andy and Kristen being gone!

Comment by brandon – August 15, 2012 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sucks. I think with Wiig leaving, she would have been utilized more this year.

Comment by Amanda – August 15, 2012 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m only going to be watching for Bill Hader and Taran Killam, but I’m so depressed right now.

Comment by andy – August 15, 2012 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank god! How she made it for four seasons without getting canned along the way is beyond me! Now if only Jay Pharaoh would leave, that would be the icing on the cake!

Comment by SJ – August 15, 2012 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FYI-I think has a lot more to do with her dating several of her SNL co-stars and causing major drama on the set between everyone over the past few years.

Comment by Joe – August 15, 2012 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was my first thought as well when I read the headline. She was only 20 or 21 when she was hired, I think that’s too young for SNL.

Comment by Caren – August 15, 2012 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Eddie Murphy was only 19. Age doesn’t matter if you’re funny enough

Comment by Justin Bhatia – August 15, 2012 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sadly, I think you are probably right. I had kind of forgotten about all that over the summer but it would definitely make sense.

Comment by CJ – August 15, 2012 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If this means Vanessa and Kate and Nasim will get the chance to shine, I’m happy!

Comment by mawhi – August 15, 2012 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hate Vanessa in everything but the Miley Cyrus show.

Comment by lana – August 15, 2012 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good riddance. Her impressions were ok, but she was generally unfunny.

Comment by Ali – August 15, 2012 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not really upset about this because she was so infrequently utilized. I can’t blame her for moving on.

Comment by KD – August 15, 2012 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The first, and so far only 3rd generation legacy SNL performer.
    Her dad Chris Elliott was a cast member and her grandfather Bob Elliott (of Bob & Ray) co-hosted an SNL special with the ladies of the original Not Ready For Prime Time Players (Jane Curtin, Gilda Radner, Larraine Newman)

Comment by Rock Golf – August 15, 2012 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would love to see her do a TV show with here Dad!!

Comment by JASon – August 15, 2012 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s a good idea! But network bosses would probably say that she’s too pretty for Chris Elliott to play her father. lol

Comment by maggie – August 17, 2012 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wow another one? is there even going to be a SNL next season?

Comment by jess – August 15, 2012 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sucks. I found her way funnier then the awful Kristen Wiig who was used in every sketch. She was the best female impressionist the show ever had!!!

Comment by JASon – August 15, 2012 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe now they can finally use Jay Pharoah more. Funniest SNL cast member in years.

Comment by Peter – August 15, 2012 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jason Sudeikis and Bill Hader need to leave now too because all the other good people are leaving.

now that Abby has left, she should join the cast of New Girl. Cece’s model roommates can move out and leave room for Abby to join as her new roommate, and hang out with the group or date Nick or something.

Comment by Kevin Garren (@keving87) – August 15, 2012 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Give it to Emma Stone. She even mentioned she wanted to be a permanent cast member back doing an interview after hosting the show. Shes a big star and shes talented.

Comment by Jake – August 15, 2012 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never liked her father, and I’m sure that colored my opinion of her. I wonder if I would have liked her more if I had not known she was Chris Elliott’s daughter.

Comment by Magically Suspicious – August 16, 2012 06:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had hoped that with Wiig leaving it would mean SNL would use Abby more. She’s talented and should do well in a sitcom.

Comment by maggie – August 17, 2012 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why is she leaving? She can’t have very many options.

Comment by Matt – August 21, 2012 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post