A&E Cancels Gene Simmons Family Jewels

A&E has cancelled its long-running reality series Gene Simmons Family Jewels.

“For seven great seasons, Gene, Shannon, Nick and Sophie have been part of the A&E family, and we could not be more proud of the unparalleled run of Gene Simmons Family Jewels,” the cabler announced Wednesday in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter (who first reported the news). “On behalf of everyone at A&E, we’d like to thank the production team at Thinkfactory Media, Gene and his amazing family for their partnership, collaboration and for opening up their lives, warts-and-all, to us throughout the years.”

RELATED | A&E Orders Psycho-Inspired Bates Motel Prequel Series From Lost Boss Carlton Cuse

The rock legend and his family echoed the network’s sentiments, calling their time on the docu-series “a wonderful, life-altering experience.”

RELATED | A&E’s Longmire Saddles Up for Second Season

Family Jewels — which followed the unconventional lives of Kiss bassist Simmons, Shannon Tweed and their two children — launched in 2006 and quickly became a ratings hit for A&E. Since then, the network has broadened its programming, with new reality fare (Storage Wars) and scripted successes (The Glades and Longmire).

Will you miss Simmons and Co.? Hit the comments!

TAGS:
GET MORE: Cancellations, Reality TV

1. Newo says:

technically Shannon Tweed was the first to report it, she tweeted about being just informed about the cancellation before the tweet was quickly deleted

• Nancy says:

If this is how you feel, shut the hell up and stop watching the show if you didn’t like it. There are tens of thousands of us who still love the show and are disappointed that it’s been canceled.

• cathy says:

i agree with you i love the series and will miss it very much. i t was almost like my other family… miss them

• Cyndi says:

I love the show been watching reruns

• I may be wrong about this, but I think one reason it was “cancelled” may have more to do with not being in the spotlight anymore and to give Gene and Shannon a chance to work through some things and I don’t think they wanted to be interrupted anymore. In other words, I think it had to do with privacy. They let us into their lives for seven years and that is a long time. Obviously there was no hard feelings on either side and it may have been a relief to some extent when they discontinued the show.

And I hate to say this, but maybe Gene has gone back to his “money is everything” because as much as it was entertaining seeing him start off every show with “I am a rock God…” I always thought that he did that satirically, but in his recent comments, yes I know he said I am sorry, make me wonder if he wasn’t more serious and that is how he truly is.

That would be a shame because he is very smart, well educated and has done things in the past, such as the SA about drugs without it being part of any probation or legal problem, that really can help other people. I am not putting him down, but he is better than that and I think he hurt a lot of people. I wish he would show people by learning more about mental health issues and it does surprise me that his fans will not call him out on it and expect or demand that he do a little more to show his sincerity.

I do miss the show a lot because they are the type of people that seem like they would be great neighbors. I do feel bad for Nick and Sophie because they grew up with a camera in their face and yet you did get a sense that there were given as normal life as kids from rock stars can have.

2. Pete V says:

As much as I love KISS, this show was friggin awesome the first season, then it became PAINFULLY obvious just HOW SCRIPTED this show was. Turned me off.

• JP says:

Yes, this! They started out as a non-potty-mouth Osbournes and seemed genuine, then just became pathetic and fake.

• Katy Brison says:

)Couldnt of said it better. Totallly agree!!! It got AWFUL . Hate when they start doing that kind of stuff to “reality” shows, with all the scripted crap , just makes it so much worse. Why they continue to do this is beyond ne. ;-)

• Nancy says:

You talk about the the show being “awesome” the FIRST season they were on for 7, why do you keep watching if you didn’t like it? If this is how you feel, shut the hell up and stop watching the show if you didn’t like it. There are thousands of us who still love the show and are disappointed that it’s been canceled.

3. BK says:

Gene is an asshole. Ask anyone that has met him/spent time with him. If you’re not giving him money he could care less how he treats you. Major Prick.

• Greg says:

So true I was a fan of kiss and Gene he won’t give you the time of day unless there is money in it for him. Stop and think Gene if it wasn’t for the fans you would be a no one.

• Joey Gibson says:

Hmmm… I’ve met him….treated me like a human…he even gave me and my whole squadron tickets to a concert. All 24 of us.

4. Wade says:

This makes me smile. A&E needs to follow around @bertkreischer instead. Get on it!

5. Freddie says:

Powerful, Bert Kreischer.

6. Joe R. says:

Powerful, Bert Kreischer.

7. Notakissfan says:

Loved the kids hated the parents. Especially Gene Simmons. What an ego. I’m so glad this show is GONE!

8. dannyboy says:

Powerful Bert Kreischer

9. michelle says:

Long overdue! Speaking of long, maybe this means we’ll get Longmire season 2 before next June! Love the show!

10. mason drabenstot says:

It’s about time that cunt is off the air. Now lets watch someone interesting…How bout
    TRIP FLIP. on the travel channel.
    POWERFUL BERT KREISCHER

11. Nickypooo says:

Powerful, Bert Kreischer.

deathsquad.tv

12. Rogan fan says:

Burt Kreischer let us know the truth. Powerful, truth.

13. Lisa says:

Longmire really? That show sucks I wish that would be gone. We could also do without rerun after rerun of the horrible completely scripted Storage Wars and it’s bunch of losers. I guess A&E is going back to what it’s known for reruns of crap.

14. patrick says:

what does Gene Simmons Family Jewels and his blood spitting have in common
    they’re both fake

15. sinister says:

loved this show. gene admits that a good bit was scripted all along. he never said otherwise. but the family drama and business aspects were real. and as a kiss fan, i loved some of the kiss coverage.

• ahna reece says:

loved the show and the family. gene is a real person, concerned for his family. so what if he likes to tour, he is himself. what is so hateful about it. I think the episodes show himself and his family as real and maybe the younger set wants something weird. I will miss them and wish them well. A REECE

16. jeannine says:

seriously !!!!!! your replacing a great show with one about dumbo’s who pay too much for other peoples rubbish, who have foul mouths and nasty tempers especially that ‘brandy’, someone hand her another bottle of bleach for her hair and wash her mouth out while your waiting for it to soak into her brain, im not a kiss fan but i love the show which shows the real love they have for each other and shows well behaved children not foul mouthed spoilt rich brats like the ‘osborne’ trash but i guess in this day and age with morals, respect and dignity being tossed aside to be replaced with potty mouthed nobodies what can one expect from a tv station .. well done you must be so proud of yourselves

17. Lisa says:

I really enjoyed this show and was so surprised at how down to earth the whole family was. Was always touched by how strong and loving Shannon was toward Gene and her children and how genuinely kind and loving Gene could be toward his children and Shannon. Was very disappointed in the cheating…but hope he has it out of his system and they can all be happy…wish them well.

18. Ray I. says:

I will really miss Gene,Shannon,Nik,and Sophie .I really like your show it was a great show.I hope they can get on another network soon!

19. Alison says:

Gene Shanon great kids great show ASHAME
    Love Kizz always will gene keep rockin babe !!!!!!

20. maggie says:

This is the only decent reality show. If we are to get these reality shows shoved down our throats at least show one that at least has some respect, family values, and entertaining. Really too bad….

21. Andrea says:

I loved this show! I loved the family! I was sad to hear that it was cancelled. I’m going to miss gene Simmons family jewels. Storage wars is horrible, and now I have no reason to watch a &e

• Olivia says:

I totally agree with you Andrea. I am sad this show was cancelled.

• Lynda says:

Just Googled to see when Fam. Jewels would be coming back. WTF…shock. I want my Gene, Shannon & Family back. The hubs & I loved the show & loved watching their kids evolve. Hoping another network will pick it up.

22. Olivia Shiff says:

I absolutely LOVE Family Jewels. I am extremely disappointed and don’t think I will watch A & E any more. I do not know why this show was cancelled. Someone is making a huge mistake. They should be cancelled from A & E. Hope a smart person picks up the show on another station. I will watch as would many!!!! Bring Family Jewels back!!!!

23. jeannine says:

we are behind but im not sure how far, a few weeks back we had the episodes where Shannon had the breast cancer scare, watching that I can tell you the VERY second Gene realised how much he loved that woman and wanted to marry her, made me brawl my eyes out, getting teary again just thinking of it, I love this family and will miss sharing them, i know one day eventually good things come to an end and its so sad to lose them all, would have loved to have followed the careers of Nick and Sophie … i wish them all long lives, love and happiness

24. Richo says:

Me and the kids loved the show …….very sad it’s going …….everyone has an opinion , I’m not saying theirs is wrong but from my family to AaE ….thanks for the seven seasons …..

25. Maggie B. says:

Although I have never been much of a fan of KISS music, this show was great. It was refreshing to see a family, especially with a rock-music dad, whose kids were getting their education without major grousing. They worked but didn’t whine about “I want this” or “I want that” sort of thing.

It was evident too of the love between Gene and Shannon. Despite his lifelong mis-givings he changed when he realised he would lose Shannon without the commitment of marriage. Now he is doing all he can to fulfill the vows he made to Shannpn.

Comparing this show to ones which show how much people will pay for trash in hopes of finding a treasure is ridiculous. Glades and Longmire are a step back toward the programming A&E used to show but they need to bring more substantive shows on board in place of “Storage Wars”, etc. They need to ask Gene, Shannon, and the kids to come back AND SOON.

26. Jim Dobson says:

…And other so-called “reality shows” aren’t scripted?. Most of these so-called “reality shows” would all be cancelled during their first season due to boredom if it was all about their normal lives. Family Jewels at least would grab your attention and pull on your heart strings all in one episode. Gene Simmons may be a prick but he is a rich prick. A marketing genius in his own right.

• Maggie B. says:

Gene Simmons may well indeed be a self-absorbed individual in many ways but he is, in many other ways, a good man and a humanitarian. No one can accuse him of not loving the USA and he shows it in the things which he does for Servicemen, regardless of branch of service. He visits their wounded, he seeks out ways in which he can be of service to these men and women who give so much. He supports countless children throughout the world. He had already been doing so before he and Shannon made their trip to Africa. When he met some of the children he sponsors he waded in to support them even further, paying college and expenses for a young woman to become a nurse. Upon hearing that hundreds of children cannot have a meal at home because the home lacks food, he arranged for the school to be provided with the necessary supplies to feed those children every morning. He asked how could they be expected to learn without energy for their brains derived from food they normally did not have to eat.

He is a bright businessman with an uncanny sense of figuring out what the purchasing public will buy. It is because of that he has the discretionary funds to sponsor children, to pay doctors’ bills, to help servicemen and women step back into civilian life after witnessing the horrors of war.

Is it any surprise I, and countless others, would rather watch a show with him, his wife and children than to see a show where a leading character takes pride in shouting “Yep” at the last possible moment to outbid someone else for a storage unit filled with the flotsam and jetsam of other peoples’ lives?

27. Patricia Kerigan says:

I was never a KISS fan, but I became one after I watched this show season after season. I always considered grown men who dressed up in makeup and platform heels as they spouted blood silly.As a Marine Corps veteran, I can only say thank you to Mr. Simmons and his family for understanding, and openly expressing their appreciation for the sacrifices myself and my peers have made for this country. I will miss the family as they displayed how to work together especially when life wasn’t perfect. I have nothing but the utmost respect for Mr. Simmons and each one of his beautiful family. I wish them the best as they move forward with their private lives. God bless you!

28. Randy says:

absolutly loved this show. One thing that stood out, Gene and Shannon are awsome parents and this is one family with a lot of love for each other. We need more shows like this,sure some of it was scripted, but sometimes I think It added to the entertainment value. Right now I think the family needs a break from the cameras. I only hope the the show will return either on A & E or some other venue, I know I would watch it. Good luck Gene,Shannon,Nick and Sophie,America will miss You!!

29. Inez Kenison says:

Loved the show. Will miss it.

30. Allyn Reynolds says:

I had assumed that they were cancelled because there were no teasers for a new season. I enjoyed the show very much and how much they gave of themselves to the Vets and homeless children. I only hope that the cancelation has nothing to do with trouble in the marriage. I hope that the marriage is going well and that they all are happy and healthy.

31. Bill says:

I thoroughly enjoyed the show.I didn’t mind that Gene was a bit of an ego after all he’s a rock star.Hope Gene ,Shannon and the kids are all well and Gene stays faithful to Shannon.Rock on Gene.

32. john musante your biggest fan ever says:

yes im going to miss the gene simmons and his beautiful and wonderful family.They were like my own family wish i could have meet them all in person espeically Sophie And Shannon and Tracy and Gene and Nick as well i will miss the family reality show so please bring it back soon with the starting of season number 8 and go on please i love them all……

33. Debbie S says:

I loved this show! I learned to respect Gene & his whole family because of it.

34. johnny kerr says:

MAN ILL MISS THIS SHOW!!! I LOVED IT AND I LOVE THE SIMMONS FAMILY GRRRRR

35. Sharon L says:

I too loved this show. Never much cared for the band, or Gene Simmons, UNTIL I came across this show. He EARNED every penny he has and deserves it and his attitude. But he loves and adores his mother, the USA and our servicemen/women. He is a decent human being. I don’t care if he wouldn’t give me personally, the time of day. Neither would any other big star to be honest. But that is okay, don’t forget we put them on the pedestal in the first place.

I will miss Nick, Sophie and Snippy the most! What a close knit family, so loving and yes they are normal. They have their disagreements and yet they will protect each other to the end. He is a wonderful father. He only wants the best for his children, which is understandable.

I will REALLY miss this show, but thankfully I can get the DVD’s (I have 3 already)

36. wendy leskovac says:

I am so sorry the Gene Simmons show was cancelled, I really miss seeing it. It was the only reality show I watched. My hope is that it will come back.

37. TW says:

Never a KISS fan, but while channel surfing, I found the show and loved it…..Sad to see it is over.

38. Rona Narvey says:

I loved the show and will miss it. Awesome family-well brought up children considering the life-style. Great parents too.

39. cat blue says:

I am can’t believe they cancelled the only good show on A&E!!!!!!!!!! They were wonderful to watch and I was looking forward to the show coming back on when I looked it up and found out they weren’t coming back!!! A& E sucks for that!!! I have NO REASON to watch that channel anymore!!! I loved Family Jewels and I hope to see them on another station soon!!!!!! Shannon, Gene, Nick and Sophie I will be looking for you on other networks and hope to see you soon!!!!! Love all 4 of you dearly!!!!

40. I was surprised at how much I loved that show! I was not a fan of Kiss at all. But I fell in love with the family. How different they are than the Kardasians, the osbournes. I saw values and agree with all the statements made above. I did enjoy it best when that were just hanging out. The stories got boring like the roller derby and adoption baby stuff all made up. But that was not what I liked. I loved the trip to Isreal and watching Gene with the kids. Get those trashy KARDASIANS OFF AND PUT THE SIMMONs on. I miss the show.

41. cindy burk says:

I watched the show and knew nothing about Kiss. Never really liked the band, but nothing was on one night, I was hooked. I found Gene reminding me of my father in alot of ways. Shannon has managed to raise the two kids on her own, with Gene on tour. Both kids seem to be turning out ok. I went to a kiss concert last night in Orlando my first and last. It was good don’t get me wrong but Gene has no real talent other than is tounge, Paul just sucks. The real talent of the band was the other two. I am 53 years old, female. Gene is very good at making money, selling himself, his band, what ever will promote his status. I wish Gene and his family nothing but the best. Those of you who are haters…..really you must be jealous.

42. Loved the show . Full of fun!
    Sorry it’s off the air …..

43. angel olivia says:

I like this show..the kids is so down-to-earth even their father is so famous,they’re so different with the osbournes and the kardashians.Sophie and nick must be proud to their mom,shannon.she’s a good mother.

44. I am very sad that jenie won’t be on any more I definitely will miss shannon and her sister the kids and the dogs hope it will be on again soon miss you jenie

45. Linda says:

Loved the show and the whole family. I grew up on long island and NYC . I loved the osbournes from the beginning. This too was different, interestIng and funny to boot.
    Will miss them. A&E I guess has some real visionaries now with shows about murdering screaming animals (with higher IQs than the people at A&E), oh , and people fighting over junk in garages.

46. Mandy Shaul-Bolek says:

I love the show and am watching a rerun at the moment! The family rocks, and Gene is hilarious!! :)

47. camille says:

Want them back. Loved the show.

48. Erik Moseid says:

What are A&E execs thinking? Family Jewels is a great, popular show. Why cancel it? The new shows aren’t anything my family watches. Lucky for them that they still have Duck Dynasty or they would be bankrupt. And if some of the execs had gotten their way, it would have been cancelled as well. I would have thought A&E would want viewership and want to be profitable. But apparently not. Please, some network pick up Family Jewels, many will watch.

49. Cyndi says:

Enjoying watching gene and Shannon wished the show wasn’t cancelled can u tell me why they cancelled it please would like to know how they are doing now