A&E Cancels Gene Simmons Family Jewels

A&E has cancelled its long-running reality series Gene Simmons Family Jewels.

“For seven great seasons, Gene, Shannon, Nick and Sophie have been part of the A&E family, and we could not be more proud of the unparalleled run of Gene Simmons Family Jewels,” the cabler announced Wednesday in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter (who first reported the news). “On behalf of everyone at A&E, we’d like to thank the production team at Thinkfactory Media, Gene and his amazing family for their partnership, collaboration and for opening up their lives, warts-and-all, to us throughout the years.”

RELATED | A&E Orders Psycho-Inspired Bates Motel Prequel Series From Lost Boss Carlton Cuse

The rock legend and his family echoed the network’s sentiments, calling their time on the docu-series “a wonderful, life-altering experience.”

RELATED | A&E’s Longmire Saddles Up for Second Season

Family Jewels — which followed the unconventional lives of Kiss bassist Simmons, Shannon Tweed and their two children — launched in 2006 and quickly became a ratings hit for A&E. Since then, the network has broadened its programming, with new reality fare (Storage Wars) and scripted successes (The Glades and Longmire).

Will you miss Simmons and Co.? Hit the comments!

Comments (68)

• technically Shannon Tweed was the first to report it, she tweeted about being just informed about the cancellation before the tweet was quickly deleted

Comment by Newo – August 15, 2012 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If this is how you feel, shut the hell up and stop watching the show if you didn’t like it. There are tens of thousands of us who still love the show and are disappointed that it’s been canceled.

Comment by Nancy – January 19, 2014 08:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As much as I love KISS, this show was friggin awesome the first season, then it became PAINFULLY obvious just HOW SCRIPTED this show was. Turned me off.

Comment by Pete V – August 15, 2012 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, this! They started out as a non-potty-mouth Osbournes and seemed genuine, then just became pathetic and fake.

Comment by JP – August 16, 2012 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • )Couldnt of said it better. Totallly agree!!! It got AWFUL . Hate when they start doing that kind of stuff to “reality” shows, with all the scripted crap , just makes it so much worse. Why they continue to do this is beyond ne. ;-)

Comment by Katy Brison – May 4, 2013 09:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You talk about the the show being “awesome” the FIRST season they were on for 7, why do you keep watching if you didn’t like it? If this is how you feel, shut the hell up and stop watching the show if you didn’t like it. There are thousands of us who still love the show and are disappointed that it’s been canceled.

Comment by Nancy – January 19, 2014 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gene is an asshole. Ask anyone that has met him/spent time with him. If you’re not giving him money he could care less how he treats you. Major Prick.

Comment by BK – August 15, 2012 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So true I was a fan of kiss and Gene he won’t give you the time of day unless there is money in it for him. Stop and think Gene if it wasn’t for the fans you would be a no one.

Comment by Greg – February 10, 2013 06:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hmmm… I’ve met him….treated me like a human…he even gave me and my whole squadron tickets to a concert. All 24 of us.

Comment by Joey Gibson – October 5, 2013 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This makes me smile. A&E needs to follow around @bertkreischer instead. Get on it!

Comment by Wade – August 15, 2012 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Powerful, Bert Kreischer.

Comment by Freddie – August 15, 2012 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Powerful, Bert Kreischer.

Comment by Joe R. – August 15, 2012 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the kids hated the parents. Especially Gene Simmons. What an ego. I’m so glad this show is GONE!

Comment by Notakissfan – August 16, 2012 01:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Powerful Bert Kreischer

Comment by dannyboy – August 16, 2012 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY!

Comment by Lynn – August 16, 2012 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Long overdue! Speaking of long, maybe this means we’ll get Longmire season 2 before next June! Love the show!

Comment by michelle – August 16, 2012 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am with you I love Longmire

Comment by marilyn elliott – January 23, 2013 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s about time that cunt is off the air. Now lets watch someone interesting…How bout
    TRIP FLIP. on the travel channel.
    POWERFUL BERT KREISCHER

Comment by mason drabenstot – August 16, 2012 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • foul language

Comment by Linda – August 17, 2012 04:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You show everyone how duscussing you are if you speak like this. That’s one of the worst words anyone can use. Shows what kind of person you are. Does anyone on this site have a life? The reality show was on for 7 years and you’re complaning now when it’s been canceled?

Comment by Nancy – January 19, 2014 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you have to resort to using this word your opinion means nothing. What an ignorant person you must be.

Comment by Theresa – January 21, 2014 07:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Powerful, Bert Kreischer.

deathsquad.tv

Comment by Nickypooo – August 16, 2012 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Burt Kreischer let us know the truth. Powerful, truth.

Comment by Rogan fan – August 16, 2012 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Longmire really? That show sucks I wish that would be gone. We could also do without rerun after rerun of the horrible completely scripted Storage Wars and it’s bunch of losers. I guess A&E is going back to what it’s known for reruns of crap.

Comment by Lisa – August 23, 2012 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what does Gene Simmons Family Jewels and his blood spitting have in common
    they’re both fake

Comment by patrick – August 24, 2012 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • loved this show. gene admits that a good bit was scripted all along. he never said otherwise. but the family drama and business aspects were real. and as a kiss fan, i loved some of the kiss coverage.

Comment by sinister – August 28, 2012 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • loved the show and the family. gene is a real person, concerned for his family. so what if he likes to tour, he is himself. what is so hateful about it. I think the episodes show himself and his family as real and maybe the younger set wants something weird. I will miss them and wish them well. A REECE

Comment by ahna reece – July 13, 2013 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree, I love the show and the family! I’m disappointed its over.

Comment by Nancy – January 19, 2014 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • seriously !!!!!! your replacing a great show with one about dumbo’s who pay too much for other peoples rubbish, who have foul mouths and nasty tempers especially that ‘brandy’, someone hand her another bottle of bleach for her hair and wash her mouth out while your waiting for it to soak into her brain, im not a kiss fan but i love the show which shows the real love they have for each other and shows well behaved children not foul mouthed spoilt rich brats like the ‘osborne’ trash but i guess in this day and age with morals, respect and dignity being tossed aside to be replaced with potty mouthed nobodies what can one expect from a tv station .. well done you must be so proud of yourselves

Comment by jeannine – September 5, 2012 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoyed this show and was so surprised at how down to earth the whole family was. Was always touched by how strong and loving Shannon was toward Gene and her children and how genuinely kind and loving Gene could be toward his children and Shannon. Was very disappointed in the cheating…but hope he has it out of his system and they can all be happy…wish them well.

Comment by Lisa – September 8, 2012 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’ve mirrored my sentiments, Lisa. *smile*

Comment by Ody – September 8, 2012 11:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will really miss Gene,Shannon,Nik,and Sophie .I really like your show it was a great show.I hope they can get on another network soon!

Comment by Ray I. – September 9, 2012 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I Sat Ditto to your sentiments…I LOVED that Show..and am Very saddened that it’s gone :( +++

Comment by HFNewtown – January 1, 2013 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agree, i miss it too…

Comment by Geraldine – March 17, 2013 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gene Shanon great kids great show ASHAME
    Love Kizz always will gene keep rockin babe !!!!!!

Comment by Alison – September 11, 2012 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the only decent reality show. If we are to get these reality shows shoved down our throats at least show one that at least has some respect, family values, and entertaining. Really too bad….

Comment by maggie – September 17, 2012 10:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved this show! I loved the family! I was sad to hear that it was cancelled. I’m going to miss gene Simmons family jewels. Storage wars is horrible, and now I have no reason to watch a &e

Comment by Andrea – October 5, 2012 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree with you Andrea. I am sad this show was cancelled.

Comment by Olivia – October 11, 2012 08:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Just Googled to see when Fam. Jewels would be coming back. WTF…shock. I want my Gene, Shannon & Family back. The hubs & I loved the show & loved watching their kids evolve. Hoping another network will pick it up.

Comment by Lynda – August 16, 2013 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely LOVE Family Jewels. I am extremely disappointed and don’t think I will watch A & E any more. I do not know why this show was cancelled. Someone is making a huge mistake. They should be cancelled from A & E. Hope a smart person picks up the show on another station. I will watch as would many!!!! Bring Family Jewels back!!!!

Comment by Olivia Shiff – October 11, 2012 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • we are behind but im not sure how far, a few weeks back we had the episodes where Shannon had the breast cancer scare, watching that I can tell you the VERY second Gene realised how much he loved that woman and wanted to marry her, made me brawl my eyes out, getting teary again just thinking of it, I love this family and will miss sharing them, i know one day eventually good things come to an end and its so sad to lose them all, would have loved to have followed the careers of Nick and Sophie … i wish them all long lives, love and happiness

Comment by jeannine – October 12, 2012 12:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Me and the kids loved the show …….very sad it’s going …….everyone has an opinion , I’m not saying theirs is wrong but from my family to AaE ….thanks for the seven seasons …..

Comment by Richo – October 17, 2012 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Although I have never been much of a fan of KISS music, this show was great. It was refreshing to see a family, especially with a rock-music dad, whose kids were getting their education without major grousing. They worked but didn’t whine about “I want this” or “I want that” sort of thing.

It was evident too of the love between Gene and Shannon. Despite his lifelong mis-givings he changed when he realised he would lose Shannon without the commitment of marriage. Now he is doing all he can to fulfill the vows he made to Shannpn.

Comparing this show to ones which show how much people will pay for trash in hopes of finding a treasure is ridiculous. Glades and Longmire are a step back toward the programming A&E used to show but they need to bring more substantive shows on board in place of “Storage Wars”, etc. They need to ask Gene, Shannon, and the kids to come back AND SOON.

Comment by Maggie B. – October 30, 2012 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • …And other so-called “reality shows” aren’t scripted?. Most of these so-called “reality shows” would all be cancelled during their first season due to boredom if it was all about their normal lives. Family Jewels at least would grab your attention and pull on your heart strings all in one episode. Gene Simmons may be a prick but he is a rich prick. A marketing genius in his own right.

Comment by Jim Dobson – November 4, 2012 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Gene Simmons may well indeed be a self-absorbed individual in many ways but he is, in many other ways, a good man and a humanitarian. No one can accuse him of not loving the USA and he shows it in the things which he does for Servicemen, regardless of branch of service. He visits their wounded, he seeks out ways in which he can be of service to these men and women who give so much. He supports countless children throughout the world. He had already been doing so before he and Shannon made their trip to Africa. When he met some of the children he sponsors he waded in to support them even further, paying college and expenses for a young woman to become a nurse. Upon hearing that hundreds of children cannot have a meal at home because the home lacks food, he arranged for the school to be provided with the necessary supplies to feed those children every morning. He asked how could they be expected to learn without energy for their brains derived from food they normally did not have to eat.

He is a bright businessman with an uncanny sense of figuring out what the purchasing public will buy. It is because of that he has the discretionary funds to sponsor children, to pay doctors’ bills, to help servicemen and women step back into civilian life after witnessing the horrors of war.

Is it any surprise I, and countless others, would rather watch a show with him, his wife and children than to see a show where a leading character takes pride in shouting “Yep” at the last possible moment to outbid someone else for a storage unit filled with the flotsam and jetsam of other peoples’ lives?

Comment by Maggie B. – November 4, 2012 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • True, I love what you said. Will miss the Simmons family.

Comment by Nice – February 22, 2013 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • excellent points all around. Shout it Shout it Shout it out Loud

Comment by todd alworth – May 31, 2013 01:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was never a KISS fan, but I became one after I watched this show season after season. I always considered grown men who dressed up in makeup and platform heels as they spouted blood silly.As a Marine Corps veteran, I can only say thank you to Mr. Simmons and his family for understanding, and openly expressing their appreciation for the sacrifices myself and my peers have made for this country. I will miss the family as they displayed how to work together especially when life wasn’t perfect. I have nothing but the utmost respect for Mr. Simmons and each one of his beautiful family. I wish them the best as they move forward with their private lives. God bless you!

Comment by Patricia Kerigan – November 15, 2012 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • absolutly loved this show. One thing that stood out, Gene and Shannon are awsome parents and this is one family with a lot of love for each other. We need more shows like this,sure some of it was scripted, but sometimes I think It added to the entertainment value. Right now I think the family needs a break from the cameras. I only hope the the show will return either on A & E or some other venue, I know I would watch it. Good luck Gene,Shannon,Nick and Sophie,America will miss You!!

Comment by Randy – November 18, 2012 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the show. Will miss it.

Comment by Inez Kenison – November 18, 2012 09:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had assumed that they were cancelled because there were no teasers for a new season. I enjoyed the show very much and how much they gave of themselves to the Vets and homeless children. I only hope that the cancelation has nothing to do with trouble in the marriage. I hope that the marriage is going well and that they all are happy and healthy.

Comment by Allyn Reynolds – December 6, 2012 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thoroughly enjoyed the show.I didn’t mind that Gene was a bit of an ego after all he’s a rock star.Hope Gene ,Shannon and the kids are all well and Gene stays faithful to Shannon.Rock on Gene.

Comment by Bill – January 3, 2013 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yes im going to miss the gene simmons and his beautiful and wonderful family.They were like my own family wish i could have meet them all in person espeically Sophie And Shannon and Tracy and Gene and Nick as well i will miss the family reality show so please bring it back soon with the starting of season number 8 and go on please i love them all……

Comment by john musante your biggest fan ever – February 11, 2013 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved this show! I learned to respect Gene & his whole family because of it.

Comment by Debbie S – March 5, 2013 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MAN ILL MISS THIS SHOW!!! I LOVED IT AND I LOVE THE SIMMONS FAMILY GRRRRR

Comment by johnny kerr – March 17, 2013 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I too loved this show. Never much cared for the band, or Gene Simmons, UNTIL I came across this show. He EARNED every penny he has and deserves it and his attitude. But he loves and adores his mother, the USA and our servicemen/women. He is a decent human being. I don’t care if he wouldn’t give me personally, the time of day. Neither would any other big star to be honest. But that is okay, don’t forget we put them on the pedestal in the first place.

I will miss Nick, Sophie and Snippy the most! What a close knit family, so loving and yes they are normal. They have their disagreements and yet they will protect each other to the end. He is a wonderful father. He only wants the best for his children, which is understandable.

I will REALLY miss this show, but thankfully I can get the DVD’s (I have 3 already)

Comment by Sharon L – March 21, 2013 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so sorry the Gene Simmons show was cancelled, I really miss seeing it. It was the only reality show I watched. My hope is that it will come back.

Comment by wendy leskovac – March 26, 2013 05:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Never a KISS fan, but while channel surfing, I found the show and loved it…..Sad to see it is over.

Comment by TW – April 26, 2013 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the show and will miss it. Awesome family-well brought up children considering the life-style. Great parents too.

Comment by Rona Narvey – July 1, 2013 06:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am can’t believe they cancelled the only good show on A&E!!!!!!!!!! They were wonderful to watch and I was looking forward to the show coming back on when I looked it up and found out they weren’t coming back!!! A& E sucks for that!!! I have NO REASON to watch that channel anymore!!! I loved Family Jewels and I hope to see them on another station soon!!!!!! Shannon, Gene, Nick and Sophie I will be looking for you on other networks and hope to see you soon!!!!! Love all 4 of you dearly!!!!

Comment by cat blue – July 16, 2013 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was surprised at how much I loved that show! I was not a fan of Kiss at all. But I fell in love with the family. How different they are than the Kardasians, the osbournes. I saw values and agree with all the statements made above. I did enjoy it best when that were just hanging out. The stories got boring like the roller derby and adoption baby stuff all made up. But that was not what I liked. I loved the trip to Isreal and watching Gene with the kids. Get those trashy KARDASIANS OFF AND PUT THE SIMMONs on. I miss the show.

Comment by Patti Stephan (@PKWS) – July 28, 2013 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched the show and knew nothing about Kiss. Never really liked the band, but nothing was on one night, I was hooked. I found Gene reminding me of my father in alot of ways. Shannon has managed to raise the two kids on her own, with Gene on tour. Both kids seem to be turning out ok. I went to a kiss concert last night in Orlando my first and last. It was good don’t get me wrong but Gene has no real talent other than is tounge, Paul just sucks. The real talent of the band was the other two. I am 53 years old, female. Gene is very good at making money, selling himself, his band, what ever will promote his status. I wish Gene and his family nothing but the best. Those of you who are haters…..really you must be jealous.

Comment by cindy burk – August 18, 2013 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the show . Full of fun!
    Sorry it’s off the air …..

Comment by Annette Balian – September 24, 2013 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like this show..the kids is so down-to-earth even their father is so famous,they’re so different with the osbournes and the kardashians.Sophie and nick must be proud to their mom,shannon.she’s a good mother.

Comment by angel olivia – October 4, 2013 06:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am very sad that jenie won’t be on any more I definitely will miss shannon and her sister the kids and the dogs hope it will be on again soon miss you jenie

Comment by Theresa McDonnell – October 8, 2013 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the show and the whole family. I grew up on long island and NYC . I loved the osbournes from the beginning. This too was different, interestIng and funny to boot.
    Will miss them. A&E I guess has some real visionaries now with shows about murdering screaming animals (with higher IQs than the people at A&E), oh , and people fighting over junk in garages.

Comment by Linda – October 21, 2013 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the show and am watching a rerun at the moment! The family rocks, and Gene is hilarious!! :)

Comment by Mandy Shaul-Bolek – February 16, 2014 10:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post