Ratings: The Closer Finale Flirts With Series High, Major Crimes Is Now the Summer's Best Premiere

Get More: Finales, Premieres, Ratings

TNT’s The Closer went out with a “bang” in more ways than one, drawing 9.1 million total viewers to its Monday-night series finale — up 52 percent week-to-week and off just 100,000 viewers from the acclaimed drama’s all-time high (set by the Season 3 finale).

Among that haul, The Closer netted more than 2 million viewers in the coveted 18-49 demo.

RELATED | The Closer Series Finale Recap: The Last Stroh

That set a very nice table, thank you so much, for its spin-off Major Crimes, which retained 7.2 million of that audience to claim bragging rights as this summer’s No. 1 cable series launch. MC unseated TNT’s own Dallas (which opened to 6.9 mil) in taking that honor.

Major Crimes, which held onto 1.5 million in the 18-49 demo, settles into its regular Mondays-at-9 time slot starting next week.

Comments (23)

• Squeeee! So so happy about the Major Crimes ratings! Well deserved. Hopefully they can keep the viewers without The Closer *bites nails*

Comment by S – August 14, 2012 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I did not like Major Crimes at all, the first 2 times I watched it. Mary Macdonalk seems cold. I loved the Closer. Wish it would return. I’m starting to like M C better with the boy and his interaction with the captain. She still doesn’t comepare to Brenda.

Comment by susan – September 26, 2012 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Closer was great. Major Crimes seems like it’s going to be the exact same show, but with a different leading lady. I will continue to DVR it for now.

Comment by James R. – August 14, 2012 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great numbers! Loved Major Crimes, hope it keeps the high ratings like The Closer. Mary McDonell was great, no surprise there..and the boys well, Brenda got the same cold shoulder in the beginning, and as they say, the rest is history! :)

Comment by nitemar – August 14, 2012 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought The Closer finale was outstanding. Loved it! And Major Crimes has a nice familiar feel to it, with a great team dynamic. I’ll be watching.

Comment by Mel – August 14, 2012 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I found myself bored with Major Crimes and changed the channel, it’s on the DVR so I’ll give it another shot before I delete, maybe I’ll change my mind.

Comment by wrstlgirl – August 14, 2012 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am finding Major Crimes to be boring. I don’t especially like the conflict withing the squad. Not as good as The Closer. I don’t like the Mary McDonnell role–hope it gets better.

Comment by Colleen Phifer – September 1, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Closer’s sendoff was fabulous. Everything about it was spot-on. Major Crimes was very good. They have a way to go to soften Capt. Raydor, but the show was well-written and acted. It holds a lot of promise.

Comment by JE Ster – August 14, 2012 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve already set my DVR to record Major Crimes, in case I’m not home or fall asleep or whatever…LOL! I truly enjoyed the new series and hoped it would follow in the foot-steps of The Closer, which I think it did, albeit Provenza isn’t a fan of Captain Raydor! The Closer ended very upbeat, I thought…after all Brenda will be just up the street in the DA’s office!! I was afraid it would really be sad, but found it surprisingly not…even after watching twice!! I loved Brenda and hope I’ll feel the same way about Sharon, too! Thank Yew!!

Comment by Totowolf – August 14, 2012 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry i did not like it at all. I think there was way too much push with Raydor and Taylor. Raydor seem stiff.And i dont like the focus on plea bargains. I hope it improves.

Comment by connie – August 14, 2012 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not too excited with Major Crimes.. Don’t care for Sharon,, never have. Loved Brenda. She made the show & will be missed terribly. The Closer was one of my favorite show.

Comment by Kris – August 14, 2012 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Considering that Raydor started out as Brenda’s nemesis, the character has had a long way to come to where she would be thought of as a member of the team. McDonnell has done a wonderful job with the character as have the writers. She has a lot of depth and complexity and a lot more remains to be seen with her. Hopefully the team dynamic that was so pivotal to The Closer will also pick up steam in Major Crimes as they are both really ensemble shows. Break a leg.

Comment by Loki – August 14, 2012 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked it but was upset/annoyed at Provenza’s constant negative attitude. As I recall, he was similar when Brenda came on the scene and eventually changed his ways and am hoping he does here as well. I thought it was wonderful how each cast member was included in the show, I think Buzz had more words than he did in the last 5 years.I too hope the plea bargaining is not here to stay. Hoping it continues to receive high ratings.

Comment by Ethel – August 15, 2012 04:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Give time for Raydor to develop–all the characters of “The Closer” (including Brenda) developed and changed. Mary McDonnell is a fine actress. I find it interesting that it seems she has a different arc to travel than her role in “Battlestar Galactica”–there she had to harden herself as President Roslin, moving from the empathetic secretary of education to president. Here in “Major Crimes,” she’s going in the opposite direction–from hard-nosed strictly-by-the-book rulemaster to what will have to be a more sympathetic character.

Comment by TD – August 15, 2012 06:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Major Crimes was a Major Bore..I won’t be watching!

Comment by B – August 16, 2012 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really want to like Major Crimes. However, I found myself losing focus on this first installment. I can’t pinpoint why, but something was lacking. I hope it gets better.

Comment by Coquette – August 16, 2012 10:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the closer finale…didn’t feel the same for MC.Raydor is too robotic..no emotion.Boy this is going to be tough w/o chief Johnson.

Comment by steve – August 18, 2012 12:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched both the series finale of The Closer and series premiere of Major Crimes three times, that it how much I loved it ! The writters said that the feeling of just being the same show but with different cast will change as we go along, they say about around episode 3 or 4. I love it no matter what!

Comment by Jean – August 18, 2012 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • im still up in the with m/c .ill watch just because of the rest of the cast

Comment by edward trudeau – August 18, 2012 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • not too happy with Major Crimes, I really do miss Brenda, I hope she makes guest appearance in Major Crimes then maybe I would like watching it a little more, I am happy that the rest of the cast stayed a round, I’ll give it a little more time and see maybe I’ll start to like it.

Comment by Taibo – August 21, 2012 11:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss Brenda a lot. She was an intresting and funny character. On the other hand, Captain Raydor is boring. I think a new character needs to be introduced that can replace Brenda.

Comment by Levent – September 16, 2012 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Prefer Raydor to the ever sweet hunting Brenda with the huge bag and fake accent

Comment by Peach – February 20, 2013 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Never heard a real Georgian accent, huh? BECAUSE, Brenda nailed the accent. It always cracks me up how people will think a bad accent is well done because it’s a very mild accent. And yet when certain Southern accents are done well, ie., accurately, people think they’re fake! Proof is in how many actors get to play a role using their own accent, and yet get accused of bad acting because the accent is bad! Bad acting when, in fact, they didn’t have to act at all in giving an honest, real portrayal!

Comment by B. Patterson – May 25, 2013 11:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post