Ratings: The Closer Finale Flirts With Series High, Major Crimes Is Now the Summer's Best Premiere

TNT’s The Closer went out with a “bang” in more ways than one, drawing 9.1 million total viewers to its Monday-night series finale — up 52 percent week-to-week and off just 100,000 viewers from the acclaimed drama’s all-time high (set by the Season 3 finale).

Among that haul, The Closer netted more than 2 million viewers in the coveted 18-49 demo.

RELATED | The Closer Series Finale Recap: The Last Stroh

That set a very nice table, thank you so much, for its spin-off Major Crimes, which retained 7.2 million of that audience to claim bragging rights as this summer’s No. 1 cable series launch. MC unseated TNT’s own Dallas (which opened to 6.9 mil) in taking that honor.

Major Crimes, which held onto 1.5 million in the 18-49 demo, settles into its regular Mondays-at-9 time slot starting next week.

1. S says:

Squeeee! So so happy about the Major Crimes ratings! Well deserved. Hopefully they can keep the viewers without The Closer *bites nails*

• susan says:

I did not like Major Crimes at all, the first 2 times I watched it. Mary Macdonalk seems cold. I loved the Closer. Wish it would return. I’m starting to like M C better with the boy and his interaction with the captain. She still doesn’t comepare to Brenda.

2. James R. says:

The Closer was great. Major Crimes seems like it’s going to be the exact same show, but with a different leading lady. I will continue to DVR it for now.

3. nitemar says:

Great numbers! Loved Major Crimes, hope it keeps the high ratings like The Closer. Mary McDonell was great, no surprise there..and the boys well, Brenda got the same cold shoulder in the beginning, and as they say, the rest is history! :)

4. Mel says:

I thought The Closer finale was outstanding. Loved it! And Major Crimes has a nice familiar feel to it, with a great team dynamic. I’ll be watching.

5. wrstlgirl says:

I found myself bored with Major Crimes and changed the channel, it’s on the DVR so I’ll give it another shot before I delete, maybe I’ll change my mind.

• I am finding Major Crimes to be boring. I don’t especially like the conflict withing the squad. Not as good as The Closer. I don’t like the Mary McDonnell role–hope it gets better.

6. JE Ster says:

The Closer’s sendoff was fabulous. Everything about it was spot-on. Major Crimes was very good. They have a way to go to soften Capt. Raydor, but the show was well-written and acted. It holds a lot of promise.

7. Totowolf says:

I’ve already set my DVR to record Major Crimes, in case I’m not home or fall asleep or whatever…LOL! I truly enjoyed the new series and hoped it would follow in the foot-steps of The Closer, which I think it did, albeit Provenza isn’t a fan of Captain Raydor! The Closer ended very upbeat, I thought…after all Brenda will be just up the street in the DA’s office!! I was afraid it would really be sad, but found it surprisingly not…even after watching twice!! I loved Brenda and hope I’ll feel the same way about Sharon, too! Thank Yew!!

8. connie says:

Sorry i did not like it at all. I think there was way too much push with Raydor and Taylor. Raydor seem stiff.And i dont like the focus on plea bargains. I hope it improves.

9. Kris says:

Not too excited with Major Crimes.. Don’t care for Sharon,, never have. Loved Brenda. She made the show & will be missed terribly. The Closer was one of my favorite show.

10. Loki says:

Considering that Raydor started out as Brenda’s nemesis, the character has had a long way to come to where she would be thought of as a member of the team. McDonnell has done a wonderful job with the character as have the writers. She has a lot of depth and complexity and a lot more remains to be seen with her. Hopefully the team dynamic that was so pivotal to The Closer will also pick up steam in Major Crimes as they are both really ensemble shows. Break a leg.

11. Ethel says:

I liked it but was upset/annoyed at Provenza’s constant negative attitude. As I recall, he was similar when Brenda came on the scene and eventually changed his ways and am hoping he does here as well. I thought it was wonderful how each cast member was included in the show, I think Buzz had more words than he did in the last 5 years.I too hope the plea bargaining is not here to stay. Hoping it continues to receive high ratings.

12. TD says:

Give time for Raydor to develop–all the characters of “The Closer” (including Brenda) developed and changed. Mary McDonnell is a fine actress. I find it interesting that it seems she has a different arc to travel than her role in “Battlestar Galactica”–there she had to harden herself as President Roslin, moving from the empathetic secretary of education to president. Here in “Major Crimes,” she’s going in the opposite direction–from hard-nosed strictly-by-the-book rulemaster to what will have to be a more sympathetic character.

13. B says:

Major Crimes was a Major Bore..I won’t be watching!

14. Coquette says:

I really want to like Major Crimes. However, I found myself losing focus on this first installment. I can’t pinpoint why, but something was lacking. I hope it gets better.

15. steve says:

Loved the closer finale…didn’t feel the same for MC.Raydor is too robotic..no emotion.Boy this is going to be tough w/o chief Johnson.

16. Jean says:

I watched both the series finale of The Closer and series premiere of Major Crimes three times, that it how much I loved it ! The writters said that the feeling of just being the same show but with different cast will change as we go along, they say about around episode 3 or 4. I love it no matter what!

17. im still up in the with m/c .ill watch just because of the rest of the cast

18. Taibo says:

not too happy with Major Crimes, I really do miss Brenda, I hope she makes guest appearance in Major Crimes then maybe I would like watching it a little more, I am happy that the rest of the cast stayed a round, I’ll give it a little more time and see maybe I’ll start to like it.

19. Levent says:

I miss Brenda a lot. She was an intresting and funny character. On the other hand, Captain Raydor is boring. I think a new character needs to be introduced that can replace Brenda.

20. Peach says:

Prefer Raydor to the ever sweet hunting Brenda with the huge bag and fake accent

• B. Patterson says:

Never heard a real Georgian accent, huh? BECAUSE, Brenda nailed the accent. It always cracks me up how people will think a bad accent is well done because it’s a very mild accent. And yet when certain Southern accents are done well, ie., accurately, people think they’re fake! Proof is in how many actors get to play a role using their own accent, and yet get accused of bad acting because the accent is bad! Bad acting when, in fact, they didn’t have to act at all in giving an honest, real portrayal!