Olympics Watch: What Was Your Favorite Moment From the 2012 Closing Ceremony?

Olympics Closing Ceremony 2012Welp, the 30th Olympiad has come to a close. “A Symphony of British Music,” directed by David Arnold and renowned British choreographer Kim Gavin, opened with a booming Big Ben and Emeli Sandé’s beautiful voice. It introduced us to a newspaper-wrapped world of London’s architectural icons, Timothy Spall as Winston Churchill and Prince Harry (umm, hello!) with a smashing Kate Middleton.

The Dream of the 90s was definitely alive…in London. Madness sang “Our House” on the back of a flat-bed truck, the Royal Ceremonial Band played “Park Life” by Blur and The Pet Shop Boys arrived by orange geometric bicycles .

One Direction sang their global smash “What Makes You Beautiful” and showed good hair genes, but Stomp brought down the house with their largest cast since 1991 of bang-on-can rhythms that electrified an entire stadium. There was a definite warm and fuzzy moment when the audience started singing John Lennon’s “Imagine”.

The Brits looked terrific as the athletes flooded in but could we stop already with the walking-while-recording-the-world-with-our-iPads? I still squealed like a teenage girl at the opening notes of George Michael’s “Freedom ‘90” but groaned when I saw that belt buckle. When did he start singing like Cher?

Thumbs up to the Kaiser Chiefs’ cover of The Who’s “Pinball Wizard.” David’ Bowie’s “Fashion” ushered in British models Naomi Campbell and Kate Moss wearing golden stunners from the UK’s biggest fashion houses. Annie Lennox was the brilliant leader of post-apocalyptic Elizabethans.

The grossest moment of the night goes to Russell Brand and his discordant orgy of awfulness (and to NBC for cutting The Who and Ray Davies) but Fatboy Slim and Monty Python comic genius Eric Idle saved the day. No one, however, could save Liam Gallagher of Beady Eye from his own song.

The Spice Girls reunion was the world’s worst kept secret, especially since it already happened in 2008. Fun fact: Gold medalist Missy Franklin was only 1 when “Wanna Be” topped the charts.

The video sing-a-long with the late Freddie Mercury reminded us that not just anyone can fill his shoes. (I’m talking to you, Jessie J, in your sparkly Flo-Jo suit. Also, who let Brian May wear his Gryffindor track suit in public?)

The Rio presentation included Bootsy Collins samba girls, neon-topped Amazon warriors and a craft closet explosion. Alessandra Ambrosio and Pele were there to distract us all from the mess. I, like McKayla, was not impressed. —Sarah Platanitis

What was your favorite moment from the London 2012 Closing Ceremonies? Sound off in the comments!

TAGS:
GET MORE: Recaps, Sports

1. Gregg says:

Agree about watching NBC: for Grimm only!!

2. Katie says:

I really enjoyed seeing retired Prima Ballerina Darcy Bussell descend into the stadium as the Phoenix Aflame, to dance to the specially commissioned “Spirit of the Flame” with four principal males and the entire English National Ballet and The Royal Ballet combined. Gorgeous costumes on Darcy and the boys. If you suffered NBC’s edited version of the performance, don’t worry so much about missing the Muse section, as the sound quality was atrocious (unless that man just cannot sing live). The only part that sounded worse than Muse was George Michael, especially his second track.

3. Deej says:

For me it was watching it live on CTV in Canada with nothing cut out.

4. Olympics2012 says:

The best part was not watching it on NBC

5. The closing ceremonies were fantastic, loved all the performances. Imagine and Eric Idle moved me a lot.

6. Velvet says:

Oh well, I had better things to watch like Leverage, Longmire, and DDDiva

7. Singingal says:

Um, that was NOT Rupert Grint. That was Ed
    Sheeran who did the Floyd track. However, Rupert Grint did appear in one of Ed’s video. But check him out- his album ‘+’ is awesome.

• Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

lol, I was making a joke about how much they look alike. I had no idea what his name was but it wasn’t bad.

8. Walt says:

I didn’t have no favorite moment because by the time the closing festivities came around I was so sick and tired of NBC’s coverage that I had no interest in watching them. And besides, no closing ceremony will ever top Lionel Richie in L.A.

9. Our House was the 80’s not the 90’s :P

10. Marie says:

Eric Idle was the best. And watching the video of Freddy Mercury. The way the audience responded was awesome. Very erily beautiful. And then that jerk got up and ruined the song.
    Annie Lennox was embarrassing. Couldn’t they have come up with something better for her?
    So what did all this have to do with the spirit of the Olympics? Oh and may I add, the Brazil segment was stupidly horrid. Looks like it was put together in a rush. And NBC’s coverage STUNK. Jerk Ryan Seacrest didn’t shut up. Is he being paid by the syllable?

• Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

I dunno but he sure was impressed with One Direction when he basically said every human alive had heard of their “smash hit”. Maybe if everyone in the world was a 12 year old girl. I had never heard of them or their song before.

11. Britta Unfiltered says:

I missed all of it, but I have it DVR’d so I can go back for the good parts. I had to watch Breaking Bad. Twice. And then I had to watch The Newsroom. Priorities, ya know. But I did flip over at one point and saw Annie Lennox singing Little Bird, which I really liked! And I’m super excited to go back and see The Who and the Queen tribute. I wasn’t crazy about Russell Brand ruining Willie Wonka for me. They couldn’t ask Gene Wilder to go do that? I would have even taken Johnny Depp. Nothing against Russell Brand, I’m just a fan of the classics.

12. Lorie says:

Loved seeing the Pet Shop Boys and Annie Lennox. Super bummed that Duran Duran wasn’t there last night.

13. Leslye says:

I thought that Russell Brand did a great job. Loved watching him.

14. Sparky says:

Good to see George Michael but man he is getting old looking. Worst parts listening to the Spice Girls shouting “Spice up your life”. I thought Muse had decided not to perform when they were n’t in the main part of the broadcast – stupid NBC!! What’s even worse that Jessie J sang with Queen. Muse should have sang with Queen. What was Norman Cook aka Fat Boy Slim doing there – didn’t he retire or have his 15 mins back in the 90’s? Overall not the best British music out there!!

15. The Squatch says:

Let me preface this by saying these two words: I’m Old. Having said that, I would have liked to see a few more of the 80’s acts that were pretty huge, like Duran Duran or Def Leppard. The Queen stuff was great, (minus the glaring needs-a-year-of-singing-lessons-just-to-be-allowed-to-even-say-the-name-Freddy-Mercury awfulness of Jessie J… whoever she is.), as they are my all-time favorite band.

16. Dmar says:

NBC cut so much stuff its hard to pick a favorite moment until I can download the 4 hour torrent.

17. Peter Rimmer says:

Why would NBC cut Muse, Ray Davis and the cover of The Who song? Surely more US viewers are going to know these artists/songs over Jessie J and Tinnie Tempah?

18. Roger White says:

Why didn’t they get Noel to sing Wonderwall? What a tragedy…

19. I just read that they had tried to get The Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd…but settled for letting Ed Sheeran massacre ‘wish you were here’…hmmm

20. Isn’t it a little strange that BT had a concert at the same time as the closing ceremony with Blur, The Specials and New Order while the official ceremony had the Spice Girls and George Michael?

21. JC says:

I only watched it for the Spice Girls but George Michael and the guy with the canon ball gimmick was also fun to watch :)

22. G says:

The Spice Girls were by far my favorite thing on there. I also did enjoy Jessy J’s first song (Price Tag I think), Petshop Boys, and Taio Cruz. George Michael is not aging very well in my opinion and Jessy J should stay far away from Queen. Other than the Spice Girls, for me, this was an average to below average closing ceremony. Really missed Duran Duran and a few of the other Brits that were unavailable. I am really irratated that I didn’t see the Who and also didn’t get to see the 10 or 15 minutes of credits that are usually shown at the end of the Olympics broadcast that usually has a huge montage of memorable moments that happened over the 16 days of competition. I can’t wait for the next Olympics!

23. Taxi operators are also allowed as long as Lulu
    was not suffering or in any taxi service in orlando pain. Delhi is
    the capital city, you will need if you are offensive or if you are in Singapore, he suggests he could even be
    helpful to have a Turkey connection. The fare for the ride to take taxi service in orlando you to your destination at ease.
    But the council’s scheme includes the recording of all conversations, all of a sudden, she says.