Exclusive

Criminal Minds Exclusive: Twin Peaks' Ray Wise Checks In as Doctor Horrible

Ray Wise Criminal MindsOne of TV’s most iconic creeps is finally getting his Criminal Minds card punched.

Ray Wise, best known for terrorizing audiences as Laura Palmer’s killer on Twin Peaks and Satan on Reaper, will channel his inner psychopath in an episode of the CBS procedural, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATED | Criminal Minds Spoiler — Is Hotch Headed For Heartbreak?

According to a Minds insider, the acting vet will play a doctor who’s operating on patients against their will in this season’s fourth episode, titled, appropriately, “God Complex.”

Criminal Minds‘ eighth season launches on Sept. 26.

1. JimVincent says:

There are some people who are finally able to watch Twin Peaks thanks to Netflix….and you guys are spoiling it for them.

2. Damien says:

Why would you spoil Laura Palmer’s killer in this article? A ton of people are still discovering and loving the show today, myself included. Thankfully I’ve finished the series but I’m sure there are others who would be interested in checking it out and now you’ve ruined arguably the greatest reveal in television history. You should know better!

• SpoilerSport says:

Damien, I don’t think [Spoiler Alert] is needed for a show that went off the air twenty years ago. Spoiler alert: Bill Clinton defeats George H.W. Bush.

• MJ says:

LOL….I laughed so hard at this comment.

• Damien says:

To each his own but the fact remains a ton of people are discovering the show for the first time thanks to the DVDs and Netflix. It’s just a nice courtesy to not include a spoiler of this magnitude in an article where it isn’t necessary. I would just think that someone who loves TV wouldn’t want new viewers to be spoiled for something so great.

3. Mike S says:

These spoiler complaints are ridiculous. Let’s see… Dorothy gets back to Kansas. Rosebud was his sled. I suppose those are spoilers too, huh?

A. Twin Peaks is over 20 years old.
    B. The identity of Laura’s killer is part of pop culture iconography, and fair game to refer to openly.

Oh, by the way, Kristin shot J.R.

4. Ryan says:

I don’t know about ‘pop culture iconophy.’ I thought about watching the show until an article on another website revealed the killer. I also didn’t know who shot JR.

• Mike S says:

Fine, but if your purpose in watching Twin Peaks is to find out who killed Laura Palmer, you’re going to be disappointed. That’s not really what the show’s about. The plot turns are just there to drive the show forward. The show’s really about the bizarre characters and atmosphere.
      Also, Ray Wise’s character is technically the one who kills Laura, but he’s not really the killer.
      Maybe that will help re-introduce some mystery to the question.

• KC says:

With Twin Peaks, the whole Laura Palmer murder is really such a small part of that show; it is what brought everyone’s favorite pie eating agent to town, but so much more is going on and happens in that series that when the murder is solved it’s not as important. Twin Peaks is a show, still today, to watch with an open mind and to not expect your average drama.

Ray Wise was in West Side Story.

5. big cheddar says:

Oh, come on! Usually I get really upset about spoilers, but even I think your protests are rediculous. The show is 20 years old, and was a pop culture phenomenon when it was on, I’m sure you heard the identity of the killer sometime over the last two decades, it just didn’t register with you at the time because you didn’t watch the show. This is like getting upset hearing who shot JR (the first time around) or the identity of “Rosebud”.

6. Casey says:

Okay, Twin Peaks ended over twenty years ago. So complaining about spoilers is ridiculous. I, like some of you, only got into the show a year or two ago. But it was never spoiled for me. You just have to avoid any and all things Twin Peaks related until you finish the series. That’s what I did. I never would have clicked this article if I didn’t yet finish the series. So give Ausiello a break here! On a different note, I’m way too excited about this news! I love Criminal Minds! I love Ray Wise! Leland was one of my favorite characters, and I light up every time I see him in something nowadays! :D

7. JasPer says:

Creepy dude. But this doesn’t bode well for the episode if we already know who the killer is going to be! I fondly remember seasons 1-5 where the viewers were actually surprised by the outcome. And the Unsub didn’t dominate the entire proceedings.

• Alan says:

im really sick of seeing this comment. this is not a standard police procedural show, its about human psychology. the point of this show is to show why people kill and the best way to do that is to show the unsub doing his stuff. to me it set this show apart in the vast ocean of other police shows out there

• Blue Sunflower says:

Word. Since when has this show ever been a whodunnit? That’s right, never.

• JasPer says:

Opinions are great. My opinion is that in the first 1-5 seasons we did NOT always know the identity of the UNSUB and viewers were still provided with amazing insight into the mind and reasoning of the people committing the crimes. Of course many times we’d know who the killer was in advance and the episodes were still pretty amazing because the writing was BETTER. Lately though it seems that the basic formula involves: 1. showing the viewer the killer. 2. Telling the viewer why they are killing. And 3. Having the team play catch up to stuff we already know. Sometimes the emphasis is so strongly put on the Unsub that the team are basically background players.

This wasn’t always the case. For example, P911 from season 2 aired on my network a few days ago and it was brilliant. Anyone who’s curious about how good CM used to be should look it up.

Also I disagree that the point of Criminal Minds is to “show why people kill.” If I wanted to see a show like this I could probably watch it on the Discovery or Science channels. :)

• Blue Sunflower says:

Opinions are only opinions as long as facts can’t dispute you, which in this case they do. I’d suggest you go back and rewatch S1-5, because when you do you will see the unsub shown early is by far and away the norm, and not the exception. So to complain about something that has ALWAYS been the preferred format, even before your precious season 5 writers left is disingenious at best.
          You may love this show, but so do 13 million other viewers – an audience, BTW, that has stayed stable for pretty much all 7 seasons the show has been on, so the show must be doing something right – including during the post S5 so-called “drop” in quality haters like to whine about, but can’t substantiate with any *qualitative* data.
          BTW, the show is called “CRIMINAL MINDS” for a reason.
          And heh, suggesting P911. Heeeeeee. I’d suggest more “Uncanny Valley”, “Hit and Run”, “100″ – all of which showed the unsub early on.

• Blue Sunflower says:

BTW, the show is called “CRIMINAL MINDS” for a reason.
          And heh, suggesting P911. Heeeeeee. I’d suggest more “Normal”, “Uncanny Valley”, “Hit and Run”, “100″ – all of which showed the unsub early on.

• KC says:

I’d say a good chunk of the shows who the killer is was revealed months ahead of time on this website..Tim Burton for one.
        But on to the topic here, Ray Wise, he is an awesome creepy, evil person (devil).
        Don’t forget that on Psych he has played a helpful priest and even appeared in their tribute to Twin Peaks..Dual Spires..episode.
        I miss Reaper…wrong network.

• Jules says:

I can name plenty of episodes where we know the unsub from the beginning or close to the beginning. I agree that this isn’t the same as other shows. The whole point is getting I to the mind of the killer, not a standard surprise reveal of the bad guy at the end.

• JasPer says:

I can also name plenty of episodes where we know the unsub from the beginning of the episode – too many! (16 out of 24 for last season). I don’t have a problem with knowing the who the Unsub is sometimes, but a little variety would be nice.
        I’m not looking for a standard surprise reveal either. I’m looking for episodes where I don’t know everything there is to know before the BAU unit figures things out. Lately it seems like I’m watching and waiting for them to “get it”. In earlier seasons we got into the mind of the serial killer quite well without knowing every little nuance up front.

I’m only criticizing the show because I really love it as do you. And darn it if watching all the past seasons on A&E hasn’t got me wishing the show never exchanged writers after season 5!

• Blue Sunflower says:

By your own admission, season seven had variety. Your very own counts shows at least 1/3 of the episodes didn’t reveal the unsub until the end (I’d actually argue it was a bit higher). Both formats have been used in large quantities since the beginning, and quality is not dependent upon which one is used the most.
          In other words, the argument of “unsub early” vs “unsub later” is NOT an issue of quality like you’re trying to insinuate. It’s a matter of OPINION, period. And given, like I said earlier, 13 million still tune in week to week, I’d put my money that the OVERWHELMING opinion is “I don’t care, either is fine with me”.
          I see no reason for Criminal Minds to fix a problem when there’s no evidence anything is actually broken.
          Also, having said the above, there’s also a MAJOR difference between episodes that “reveal the unsub late” (where it really didn’t matter if we knew the guy earlier or not as it had no bearing on the conclusion) and true whodunnit (with a variety of suspects to choose from and you really are left guessing) episodes – the latter of which you seem to be arguing you want, but are in fact incredibly rare. P911, 7 Seconds, and uhhh not many others come to mind.

• Blue Sunflower says:

Added to clarify: because despite your protests, your words reveal you prefer the whodunnits. You like to “guees” and yet the standard unsub-revealed-at-end episodes are written so that quite frankly, it wouldn’t make a bit of difference if we’d seen them earlier in the episode or not. To say you feel you’re just waiting for the CM team to catch up is exactly what you’re supposed to be doing, since timeline always dictates crime first, figure out criminal second. And this is not to mention that uh usually the team is telling us all kinds of info we’re not getting from the unsub, even if it’s an unsub-heavy episode, like “Normal” or “True Night”. Like Morgan has said, “I know more about you than you know about yourself” and THAT is what we are watching for, and what the team does in EVERY episode – which is entirely independent of whether the unsub is shown early or not.
            So please. Either accept fact the show is fine but you personally don’t like it because you’d prefer something else, or stop watching. Even if you had 10,000 people flouncing with you (which I highly doubt), it won’t make a drop in the bucket in terms of viewership – or even a reason TPTB should care.

• JasPer says:

Who said anything about flouncing? If I flounced then I wouldn’t have the right to complain about a show I primarily enjoy although enjoyed more in the past. Somebody needs to seriously calm down.

• JasPer says:

Okay. Sure. This board doesn’t have too many posters. I’ll just wait until the next season starts and join in the discussions that I recall from last season. If the show keeps up the formula it featured for most of season 7: Unsub heavy episodes, little interaction with core characters and BAU agents who got the gist of what is going on long after the audience figures it out they many comments are bound to be negative. I’m sure I’ll see you there since you seem to follow along blindly and love all aspects of the show without complaint.

• Rain says:

I actually agree with you JasPer, I prefer the episodes where we don’t know the Unsub until the end. It makes it more interesting to watch them get in the mind of the killer, if we the audience don’t know who that killer is.

8. alyssa says:

At first I was mad that Laura’s killer was spoiled for me as I’ve only just gotten started on Twin Peaks, but then I got really happy because I did think it was going to be Ray Wise.
    So, go me!