Smash Recruits Rescue Me Alum Daniel Sunjata to Woo [Spoiler] in Season 2

There’s a Smashing new romance in the works for Daniel Sunjata, who has joined the NBC musical drama in a recurring role for Season 2, EW.com reports.

RELATED | The Plan to Save Smash: Inside a ‘More Consistent,’ ‘Edge of Your Seat’ Season 2

The actor, who most recently appeared on Grey’s Anatomy but is best known as Rescue Me‘s Franco, will play a love interest for Debra Messing’s Julia. Fans will recall that Julia nearly ended her marriage last season by having an affair with one of Bombshell‘s stars. Although the marital relationship appeared to be intact at season’s end, Brian D’Arcy James, who plays Julia’s hubby Frank, is exiting the series.

Sunjata stars in White Collar creator Jeff Eastin’s pilot Graceland, which received a series pickup in June.

Smash returns to NBC — with new cast members Krysta Rodriguez (Gossip Girl) and Jeremy Jordan (Broadway’s Newsies) and guest star Jennifer Hudson — at midseason.

1. Maggie says:

surprised to hear they’ve cast a love interest for Julia, but they hit the jackpot with their pick! he has such a great singing voice, hope they’ll bring that in as well! franco & garrity both in NBC shows! yay rescue me!

2. Gerald says:

NOOOOO! We don’t care about her personal life!

3. Lanette Holmstrom says:

I LOVE that show. I am glad they are getting rid of “Dev”, and I hope they give Karen a much better love interest. I hope they keep giving Karen the great song selection. She has got an incredible voice. I can’t wait to see what happens between Ivy/Karen.

4. Ygbkm says:

So, the audience says they want less of Julia’s love life, and we get a new love interest for her? I thought TPTB were going to fix things?

• VCI says:

I wasn’t interested in her boring husband and the dumb adoption storyline. But I wouldn’t mind seeing her explore a new relationship, especially if it’s this hottie.

5. Titina says:

Nooo! We don´t really care about Julia´s personal life.
    The only ones we care are Karen and Derek future relationship! I am so excited to see where that goes! Their chemistry is off the charts!

6. Is it just me or does Daniel Sunjata have one character for every single thing he does (Rescue Me, Lie to Me, Grey’s Anatomy…)? Not only is he annoying to me, he’s a one-trick pony.

7. CG says:

Can we get a nice guy for Ivy please?

8. Deena says:

Oh, I love him but even with all these great additional cast members (Jennifer Hudson, Jeremy Jordon…), the show was just so bad I just don’t think it’s enough to get me back into it.

9. Ruth says:

Sunjata is a dreamy addition to the cast of “Smash” he has a strong presense …let’s hope the show has a good season…