Smash Recruits Rescue Me Alum Daniel Sunjata to Woo [Spoiler] in Season 2

Get More: Casting News

There’s a Smashing new romance in the works for Daniel Sunjata, who has joined the NBC musical drama in a recurring role for Season 2, EW.com reports.

RELATED | The Plan to Save Smash: Inside a ‘More Consistent,’ ‘Edge of Your Seat’ Season 2

The actor, who most recently appeared on Grey’s Anatomy but is best known as Rescue Me‘s Franco, will play a love interest for Debra Messing’s Julia. Fans will recall that Julia nearly ended her marriage last season by having an affair with one of Bombshell‘s stars. Although the marital relationship appeared to be intact at season’s end, Brian D’Arcy James, who plays Julia’s hubby Frank, is exiting the series.

Sunjata stars in White Collar creator Jeff Eastin’s pilot Graceland, which received a series pickup in June.

Smash returns to NBC — with new cast members Krysta Rodriguez (Gossip Girl) and Jeremy Jordan (Broadway’s Newsies) and guest star Jennifer Hudson — at midseason.

Comments (16)

• surprised to hear they’ve cast a love interest for Julia, but they hit the jackpot with their pick! he has such a great singing voice, hope they’ll bring that in as well! franco & garrity both in NBC shows! yay rescue me!

Comment by Maggie – August 8, 2012 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • o snap this will be a HOTTTT pairing!

Comment by Danielle H – August 9, 2012 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOO! We don’t care about her personal life!

Comment by Gerald – August 8, 2012 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE that show. I am glad they are getting rid of “Dev”, and I hope they give Karen a much better love interest. I hope they keep giving Karen the great song selection. She has got an incredible voice. I can’t wait to see what happens between Ivy/Karen.

Comment by Lanette Holmstrom – August 8, 2012 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So, the audience says they want less of Julia’s love life, and we get a new love interest for her? I thought TPTB were going to fix things?

Comment by Ygbkm – August 8, 2012 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wasn’t interested in her boring husband and the dumb adoption storyline. But I wouldn’t mind seeing her explore a new relationship, especially if it’s this hottie.

Comment by VCI – August 13, 2012 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooo! We don´t really care about Julia´s personal life.
    The only ones we care are Karen and Derek future relationship! I am so excited to see where that goes! Their chemistry is off the charts!

Comment by Titina – August 8, 2012 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it just me or does Daniel Sunjata have one character for every single thing he does (Rescue Me, Lie to Me, Grey’s Anatomy…)? Not only is he annoying to me, he’s a one-trick pony.

Comment by Marin Kuharić (@Prkan_708) – August 8, 2012 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES. Even in THE DARK KNIGHT RISES.

Comment by topsyturvy – August 8, 2012 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He was awful on Grey’s. Also, this show needs a better writing.

Comment by Hurley – August 8, 2012 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, that’s one trick pony I’D like to ride!

Comment by big cheddar – August 8, 2012 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh dang, big cheddar WENT THERE.

Comment by Annie – August 9, 2012 05:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we get a nice guy for Ivy please?

Comment by CG – August 8, 2012 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, I love him but even with all these great additional cast members (Jennifer Hudson, Jeremy Jordon…), the show was just so bad I just don’t think it’s enough to get me back into it.

Comment by Deena – August 9, 2012 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sunjata is a dreamy addition to the cast of “Smash” he has a strong presense …let’s hope the show has a good season…

Comment by Ruth – February 20, 2013 03:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post