Fall TV Preview

Go On: Did Matthew Perry Give Good Grief?

So… how are we feeling today?

Matthew Perry’s newest sitcom Go On unofficially debuted Wednesday night, capping Day 12 of NBC’s Olympics coverage. And now that you’ve had a few moments to take some cleansing breaths and process your emotions, we want to know what you think about the former Chandler Bing’s latest endeavor. (Don’t worry; we don’t care whether or not you use “I” statements.)

A brief refresher: The comedy follows a grieving sports radio host (Perry) who’s forced to join a support group following the death of his wife. The Playboy Club’s Laura Benanti leads the band of bereaved oddballs, which includes Everybody Hates Chris’ Tyler James Williams (goodness gracious, when did he grow up?), and Harold & Kumar’s John Cho is the boss who orders Perry’s character to attend the soul-searching sessions. And if you fell asleep during the Olympics or your DVR had a fit about the unorthodox start time, no worries: The same episode will air again when Go On premieres at 9/8c on Tuesday, Sept. 11.

TVLine nation, answer the poll question below to let us know what you think, then back up your opinion in the comments: Are you going to make Friends with Go On?

Comments (84)

• It certainly has potential. Kind of like Community. Matthew Perry should dial it back a little and become more lovable. I will keep watching and give it a chance. It took a while for Matt LeBlanc to find his footing in Episodes and now that is one of my favorite shows.

Comment by Terry – August 8, 2012 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is basically mainstream Community light. And I don’t mean that in a good way. Seriously, I spent the show matching characters to Community characters. I bet 10 bucks that Matthew Perry/Jeff Winger will learn to love again with the therapist/Britta at some point.

Comment by Jessica – August 8, 2012 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Isn’t this show just a remake of “Dear John”? I found it mildly amusing but will not set my DVR to see future eps.

Stale.

Comment by Alienate – August 9, 2012 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ohhhhh yeah, that’s what it reminds me of. It is indeed very much like a single cam version of Dear John. Now I’m thinking it would be funny if Jere Burns guest starred on it.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – August 9, 2012 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I prefer this to Community because it is ‘light’ i.e. not OTT as the Community characters are.

I can see watching this show with my family.

Worst thing: the incompetent therapist

Comment by Kath – August 9, 2012 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had absolutely no idea that this was even airing tonight! It looks promising and I will watch anything with a former friends star (well, I’ll at least give it a shot) so I will be tuining in when it “officially” premiers

Comment by girl – August 8, 2012 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This was the official premiere. They aren’t rerunning it as a pilot in traditional premiere week. Next ep to air will be episode 2

Comment by James – August 8, 2012 11:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The article says this pilot will be shown again on its official premier date which is sept 11 at 9 its regular timeslot.

Comment by sally – August 9, 2012 04:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Matthew Perry to guest on Cougar Town. Is that too much to ask for!?!?!

Comment by mia – August 8, 2012 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would love that. They did a Scrubs reunion, why not Friends?

Comment by Alyssa – August 8, 2012 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If they’re going to have a Friends reunion, they wouldn’t do it on TBS.

Comment by TV Gord – August 8, 2012 10:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I don’t know about that. TBS has syndication rights to F.R.I.E.N.D.S so they might use it as a tool to get ratings.

Comment by Summer Syn – August 9, 2012 02:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Is F.R.I.E.N.D.S supposed to stand for something? The show was called Friends.

Comment by Jason – August 9, 2012 11:57 AM PDT
          • It was stylized F*R*I*E*N*D*S – with bullets between the letters. I’m sure Summer Syn was just using that style.

Comment by MM – August 10, 2012 07:49 PM PDT
        • I don’t think she meant an actual Friends reunion special. Lisa Kudrow and Jennifer Aniston have both guest-starred on Cougar Town, but probably because they are such good friends with Courteney. It would be nice to see the guys from Friends guest star too, especially to see Courteney & Matthew together again.

Comment by Mikael – August 10, 2012 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was average. But there were two or three very sweet moments… Enough to make me give it a couple of more eps when it officilly bows this fall.

Comment by Stefany – August 8, 2012 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as they don’t have Matthew and the therapist get together, I’ll give it a chance. I’m getting sick of all of these sitcoms that feel the need to have two of their leads hook-up. While it works for some, it doesn’t for others and just ends up feeling forced. Even though I like Mindy Kahling, I’m weary of watching her new show b/c from the previews alone, it’s obvious she will eventually end up with her best guy friend.

Comment by Maddy – August 8, 2012 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • then i fear you shall be sorely disappointed cause from where i’m sitting, it’s a sure bet.

Comment by cjeffery7 – August 9, 2012 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too. The actress is trying but there is nothing engaging or interesting about the therapist. Not to mention that since she has no training or credibility, the show runs the risk of giving it’s audience techniques that could make a bereavement situation worse.

Comment by Kath – August 9, 2012 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It definitely has potential. I love Matthew Perry (still bummed Mr. Sunshine didn’t continue). March Sadness was hilarious, and the ending scene was very sweet. It’s not a “laugh out loud constantly” comedy; it’s touching, humorous, and has many character backstories to delve into. I hope it gets a chance :)

Comment by Taylor – August 8, 2012 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved Mr. Sunshine! I was so sad when it was cancelled.

Comment by Marissa – August 9, 2012 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m with you, Taylor! . Matthew Perry is such a special talent! I liked ‘Mr. Sunshine’ as well.

Comment by Annie – September 10, 2012 09:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matthew’s great. I’m still missing studio 60. Hope it works out for him.

Comment by Karen – August 8, 2012 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So, loved that show!

Comment by stacey – August 9, 2012 05:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree!

Comment by Carol C – August 9, 2012 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved Studio 60 SO much!

Comment by Lucille M Peyok – August 9, 2012 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved Studio 60, too. I wish that it had continued, although then we possibly wouldn’t have had The Good Guys, another show that I miss so much.

Comment by MelindaB – August 9, 2012 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes. The Good Guys sucked in the ratings from day one but it sure wasn’t because of the quality of the show. Why don’t they put a DVD release out of it?

Comment by ben – August 9, 2012 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I also miss Studio 60, wish they would bring it back and give it another shot. The writing and the cast were both so great, sometimes it takes time for the audience to really get behind good and
      smart writing.

Comment by Lee – August 9, 2012 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s a little tonally confusing, but there’s definitely potential there. I’ll keep watching for at least a couple more episodes.

Comment by Alex – August 8, 2012 09:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can’t imagine what you found to be confusing?? Episode did move at a fast pace; perhaps that in and of itself if confusing to some people. I thought it was absolutely brilliant and a good mix being comic and serious. I was also impressed how they juggled such a large cast. To the posters who say Perry should be move lovable, I completely disagree. “Friends” has been off the air (except for reruns) for a while now; I enjoy seeing him – most actors – try something different.

Comment by Pat Graney – August 9, 2012 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Alex said the tone was confusing. Different thing.

Comment by Faz – August 9, 2012 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Saw way too much of the Go On premiere in the previews, so the episode fell a little flat since I knew pretty much all of what was coming. I’ll have to wait for episode 2 so I can get a better idea about the show.

Comment by Katie Hart (@waterfallbooks) – August 8, 2012 09:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t really know what to think. It wasn’t awful, but I also didn’t find it funny at all. I honestly didn’t laugh once. But there were some heartwarming moments so I might give it a few episodes to see if it improves.

Comment by jcshell – August 8, 2012 09:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad I’m not the only one that got a Community vibe from it. It definitely has potential. Several great show have taken a couple episodes to find their footing, so I’ll give it a chance. And it stars my favorite Friend, so I’ll probably give it a bigger chance.

Comment by Alyssa – August 8, 2012 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a terrific show. Perry is about to become the Friends star with the most successful post-franchise program.

I thought I would dislike the show. I found myself turning around at the 10 minute mark. By the end, I’m calling this a hit for the new season and an Emmy nomination for Perry.

Comment by Bruce Wayne – August 8, 2012 09:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This show won’t survive the first season. Most successful post-Friends? Other than Schwimmer, he’s arguably the least. Hey, at least he’s still getting those fat royalties from Friends.

Comment by Ravenous – August 8, 2012 11:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • For your information, Schwimmer is successful too : he’s a director and producer. So what, if he’s not on tv he’s not successful?………. wait, you’re not on tv, following your reasonning, you’re not successful either!

Comment by Polythenepam – August 9, 2012 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved it. Pilots are never perfect, and on the rare occasion that they are, the show usually ends up being a disaster rather quickly. This show could go either way, but I have high hopes. Really looking forward to the season starting.

Comment by CJ – August 8, 2012 10:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Also I think if NBC had promoted Bent and Best Friends Forever as much as they are promoting Go On and Animal Practice, they might still be on. Just a thought.

Comment by CJ – August 8, 2012 10:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Bent was great. They didn’t even give it a chance.

Comment by Lauren – August 9, 2012 06:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Agreed, I thought it was fantastic. It is a shame they promote the hell out of things like “Stars Earn Stripes” and can’t give a real chance to a great show like Bent. It came and went without most people even hearing of it.

Comment by CJ – August 9, 2012 06:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I missed Bent when it was on–I saw a blurb about it, but didn’t see any video ads and had something else that I was watching, and let it come and go without much notice. Then I saw the pilot online, and thought that NBC were idiots for burning it off the way that they did.

Comment by MelindaB – August 9, 2012 10:37 AM PDT
  • I haven’t watched Go On yet..but its waiting on the DVR..just from reading these posts..it seeks like people thought it was pretty good and worth watching.

Comment by Jared – August 8, 2012 10:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just hope they have a plan on how this continues, because I don’t see how this concept works beyond a set number of episodes. I’m a huge fan of Matthew Perry and hope that this show works.

Comment by sam – August 8, 2012 11:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never really liked the show friends but I do at times like Mathew Perry and Lisa Kudrow. That being said I watched the one and only episode. Boring and been done before. I don’t watch a lot of TV so I won’t waste my time on less then mediocre

Comment by Meri – August 8, 2012 11:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really enjoyed it, exccept for the actress playing the therapist.

Comment by Cathy – August 8, 2012 11:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Waiting for Judd Hirsch and Jere Burns to appear since the show is a redo of “Dear John”.

Comment by Evan – August 9, 2012 01:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want to give it a chance because I love Matthew Perry (possibly my favorite friend). I feel like they gave away too much of the first episode in the promos though. I’m going to give it a few episodes to determine if I’ll keep watching or not. I wonder what kind of numbers it did.

Comment by Jessica – August 9, 2012 01:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • omg i luv matthew but this is on the same time as parenthood and i luv lauren graham more.

Comment by serena – August 9, 2012 03:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They are on the same network so how could they be on at the same time?

Comment by Junie – August 9, 2012 04:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It sucked.

Comment by ragincajun – August 9, 2012 04:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed it. When Fausta kept the box crown on the breakfast table with the picture of her family, I did tear up a little.

Comment by Cassie – August 9, 2012 05:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very funny pilot! If you like intelligent comedy, this is for you! Characters are interesting, actors and actresses are talented, and it’s well written. Fantastic! I can’t believe the official premiere is in one month! I can’t wait!

Comment by Polythenepam – August 9, 2012 06:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Your standards are so low, people. I couldn’t get thru the first 5 mins.

Comment by PutAforkINit – August 9, 2012 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • thank you ! Some of these other comments would have one believe that “Go On” was better than ‘Seinfeld’ or ‘MASH’. It put me to sleep and I wasn’t even tired

Comment by Couch Potato Cop – August 9, 2012 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • There are some truly crazy people that post here. They will try to convince everyone that some new show is the greatest thing to ever hit a network because some actor they liked on a show a decade ago is on it. They are either delusional or they are working for the network and trying to hype the show on every TV site that is reporting about it. This show was no better than Mr. Sunshine and we all know how that fared. I don’t expect this show to be any different.

Comment by Chuck Finley (AJ) – August 9, 2012 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The pilot for Seinfeld was definitely subpar. Even Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld say that they didnt hit a stride until season 3.

Comment by Sarah – August 9, 2012 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • This show isn’t the next Seinfeld. Here comes the crazy talk again.

Comment by Chuck Finley (AJ) – August 9, 2012 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I don’t think that’s what Sarah what saying. She was making a point that a show’s pilot doesn’t necessarily dictate how successful it will ultimately be.

Comment by Deena – August 9, 2012 09:12 AM PDT
  • The show look good and I will watch it. The therapist look like Courtney Cox. I thought it was her at first lol!!

Comment by Adam – August 9, 2012 06:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It certainly has potential; great time slot too with the Olympics, and that certainly gave ‘Go On’ a big promotional boost. Just like many of the other comments, I also think this has many of the bells and whistles that Community had when starting out, and that’s not a bad thing at all. One thing I’d say about this series is that it’s way too early to tell if this will turn into anything special—I don’t want to give NBC any kind of boost—but you’ll have to tune in to find out!

Comment by JuniorTV – August 9, 2012 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved it! Of course it had Matthew Perry in it so that was a given, but I agree with other posters that it had a definite Community vibe, which is one of my favorite shows so I will definitely be watching in the fall.

Comment by Kristina – August 9, 2012 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The ~27% who rated this as “awesome” — do you watch much television, because there’s vastly superior programming all over the dial. “Go On” was mediocre at best. To be fare one can say that maybe in upcoming episodes the show will grow, but the debut was just “eh”. It was rife with broad stock characters and was jokey & sitcom-y in the worst sense of the word. No better than Perry’s most recent offereing “Mr. Sunshine”, which lasted only a few episodes.

Comment by Couch Potato Cop – August 9, 2012 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Learn to spell before you berate others for their perceived shortcomings. Fair enough?

Comment by Spelling cop – August 9, 2012 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Uneven like most pilot but had some bright spots and potential. I do love Community and has been entertained by Common Law so this is kind of in that same vein.

Comment by QuinnMallory – August 9, 2012 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I gave it a D and that is being generous. It was so boring that halfway through I walked into the other room and forgot I was even watching it. I sincerely wish they would get Matthew Perry off TV. He isn’t the least bit funny. At all.

Comment by Chuck Finley (AJ) – August 9, 2012 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The March Sadness game was funny…..otherwise it was okay.

Comment by GeoDiva – August 9, 2012 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bing went bong! In other words, this show rang a bell for me. In a good way. Of all the stars on friends, Perry and LeBlanc were my faves. I’ll be pleased to add this to my schedule.

Comment by Templar – August 9, 2012 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Enjoyed the pilot a lot. Well-rounded writing and interesting cast, funny and also poignant at times. Will tune in again.

Comment by Tara Green (@Tarasoleil) – August 9, 2012 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cloying.

Comment by bobbie – August 9, 2012 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really loved the pilot. It had me laughing and crying. I will definitely watch this season. I agree with others, though, I hope that he doesn’t hook up with the therapist.

Comment by Babybop – August 9, 2012 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved it. But since it’s going to air at the same time as New Girl, I won’t be able to watch it live.

Comment by AnnClau – August 9, 2012 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it just me or the grieving counselor lokks a lot like Courtney Cox a.k.a. Monica Geller? Uhmmmm

Comment by Bernardo Lugo – August 9, 2012 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whatever, I like Matt LeBlanc better.

Comment by Velvet – August 9, 2012 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it was great! Reminded me of the character Perry played on Mr. Sunshine. A show that was cancelled way too soon!

Comment by RachBach – August 9, 2012 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really liked it, but I also liked Mr. Sunshine so what do I know.

Comment by aimee – August 9, 2012 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For those who missed it, it is streaming for free on Hulu now.
    Strong solid C+ grade here. I could almost elevate it to a B- on the “I just Keyser Soze’d you,” line alone. I laughed hard at that. But it was the only thing I laughed hard at. The characters felt a bit stereotypical, like the overweight, single nutty cat lady…the hippie guy…the cold therapist who’s obviously there to be a romantic foil…token black guy…Matthew Perry. They need to be careful of that and should make the characters more original. Overall, the show isn’t gelling for me, but I think potential is there. They need to find their own creative niche, maybe make the comedy a little darker, and a little less saccharine. I thought they might go dark for a minute, but then they seemed to chicken out.
    And to whoever above said the show was tonally confusing, you hit the nail on the head with my difficulty with it. But I felt that way about Community at first, and now that’s my favorite show, so I’ll give it more chances. Hopefully they find some focus. And maybe hire Dan Harmon on to write. That would help it. :)

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – August 9, 2012 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I missed it but this is one of the two shows I’m interested in seeing. Can’t remember the other one. I guess I’m sticking to my USA, Bravo, TNT and Food Channel shows. The network shows look like blech.

Comment by Lily – August 10, 2012 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A. I liked it. What I look for most in a comedy is that it has to have heart. You have to be able to get to know and like the characters. That’s why I love The Middle despite it only having a few funny jokes per episode. This show does a good job with that. I’ll definitely be tuning in come September.

Comment by nick1372 – August 11, 2012 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i don’t know why, I haven’t figured it out but i love Matthew Perry. Studio 60 was one of my all time favourite shows, i have it on dvd. Mr Sunshine was excellent, why it was cancelled i will never know. Go on, well i am taken with this already. Please don’t be another cancelled show

Comment by Suzy, Northern Ireland – August 13, 2012 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just like Matthew Perry and hope the show takes flight. So weary from ‘reality’ shows. Never quite got connected with “Community”. Sure don’t want that to be the feeling “Go On” traces. Goooood luck Matthew Perry and “Go On”!!

Comment by Annie – September 10, 2012 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post