Emmys

Emmys 2012: Who Should Win Best Supporting Actor in a TV Miniseries or Movie? Take Our Poll!

Of the 27 major nominations in the 2012 Emmy races for TV Miniseries or Movie, 22 of them came from the quintet of programs represented in the Best Supporting Actor category.

Yes indeed, American Horror Story‘s Denis O’Hare, Game Change‘s Ed Harris, Hatfields & McCoys‘ Tom Berenger, Hemingway & Gellhorn‘s David Strathairn, and Sherlock: A Scandal in Belgravia‘s Martin Freeman represent additonal embarrassments of riches for their respective miniseries or movies.

What would you do if you had the power to honor one of these actors when the Emmys are handed out in September? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite — TVLine voting closes Sept. 14, so act now! — then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every day for the next month, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor! And follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV for up-to-the-minute alerts of when our Emmy polls launch!

1. Jason says:

I voted for Denis because he was amazinggggggggggg on American Horror Story!

• Tenney says:

I agree, Denis was phenomenal in AHS. His character was scary, creepy, and pathetic all at the same time. I am a huge Sherlock fan so it was tough to choose between Denis and Martin Freeman but Denis’ character, Larry, kind of stays with you so that is why I had to choose him.

2. wrstlgirl says:

I voted for Tom because he was amazingggggg on Hatfields & McCoys, LOL :-)

3. Mikaylah says:

Martin Freeman is so wonderful in Sherlock as Watson. He and Benedict have such great chemistry, and makes the friendship between Sherlock and Watson such fun to watch.

4. Aprilcot says:

The answer is always Denis O’Hare. He was *robbed* of a nom as Russell Edgington!

5. SherlockedFan says:

Although I LOVED A Scandal in Belgravia, I wish the episode they’d submitted to the Emmys was The Reichenbach Fall, Martin Freeman and/or Benedict Cumberbatch will always get my vote because their chemistry with each other is beyond brilliant. makes Sherlock and John’s friendship such a joy to watch but they also always get my vote because of their amazing acting!

• Célind says:

I also think The Reichenbach Fall would maybe be have been a better choice in term of acting perfomances , but A Scandal in Belgravia was really different and striking overall, so perhaps that’s why they went with that choice… But what I don’t understand is why they had to chose one episode in the first place, when American Horror Story for example was able to submit its entire season? Does anyone know this?

• Alan says:

every show (and actor/actress) submitted to the emmys for consideration actually singles out one episode for them to review because it would be impossible for them to review every single episode of every series, so anytime someone wins an award for their work on a show they are actually only winning for their work in one specific episode. so while it isnt noted here which episode was submitted, only one episode of each was submitted

6. Alan says:

martin freeman. he makes a lasting impression as john watson even while working alongside the best actor to play sherlock holmes in many years, that alone proves just how good he is at what he does

7. nick1372 says:

I think Missing’s Keith Carradine should have been nominated. He was great.

8. Britta Unfiltered says:

I wish I had seen more of the mini-series. All I’ve got is American Horror Story and Sherlock under my belt, which made me vote for Martin Freeman. I have a feeling I would be voting another way if I had seen Game Change or Hemingway and Gellhorn though. Ed Harris is a great actor who probably pulled off a pretty good McCain, and David Straithairn is just a flat out god. Ed Harris probably ends up winning.

9. This says:

Martin Freeman, why is this even a question?
    Someone on tumblr said it best: “On a show with a very high percentage of well-written dialogue, Martin Freeman’s face still has the best lines.”
    Also, if he wins, maybe he’ll drop a hilarious line about his Emmy similar to his “f*** you, I won a BAFTA.” That alone is a darn good reason for him to win hahaha.

10. arial2 says:

Didn’t like Hemingway and Gellhorn, but David Stathairn did his best to save it. Have to go with him for going above and beyond the call of duty.

11. Mcat says:

How is Martin Freeman considered a supporting actor and not a lead???

12. Gilda says:

Martin Freeman gets overlooked a lot since Cummerbatch, or more specifically, Sherlock, is more unique and noticeable and larger than life. But Watson has to serve as the window for the viewers and bridge the gap between them and the moderly psycho Sherlock. And he does it flawlessly, I’m glad he got some recognition. His work in Reinbech Fall was heartbreaking.

13. Massimiliano says:

Tom Berenger deserves to win the Emmy Award at 100%.

Tom Berenger for his great peformance of acting as well as winning the Emmy Award, shall deliver to the Oscar-winning career.

Tom Berenger N° 1

14. Sareeta says:

The only one I saw was a few episodes of American Horror Story so my vote goes to Dennis O’Hare. He stole the show when he was on True Blood a couple seasons ago and he was quite intriguing on AHS.