Fall TV Preview

TVLine Items: Secret Circle Stunner Tests Vampire Love, Revolution and Homeland Promos & More!

Phoebe TonkinPhoebe Tonkin has conjured up a new role.

The former Secret Circle witch has joined The Vampire Diaries for Season 4 — where she very well might come between a fan favorite couple, TVGuide.com reports.

Tonkin — who starred with Claire Holt (aka TVD‘s Rebekah) on the Aussie show H2O: Just Add Water — will play Tyler’s friend Hayley, who is described as wild, sexy and free-spirited.

“We’ll start to understand that this is a friend … who’s been very important to him in the past,” executive producer Julie Plec previously teased to TVLine. As for whether Caroline and Tyler fans should be worried, Plec replied, “Any time a hot, new girl comes to town, somebody’s got to be worried about something.”

Tonkin will first appear in Episode 3 of the CW drama’s new season, which premieres Thursday, Oct. 11 at 8/7c.

RELATED | The Vampire Diaries‘ Damon Salvatore Wins TVLine’s TV Bad Boy Tournament

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

• Wilmer Valderrama (That ’70s Show) will romance Sabrina’s mother (played by Melanie Griffith) in at least three episodes of Fox’s Raising Hope, per EW.com.

• Former Reno 911! star Thomas Lennon will play Victoria’s ditched-at-the-altar fiancé on How I Met Your Mother, reports EW.com.

RELATED | How I Met Your Mother: 16 Spoilers (Including Intel on October’s Big ‘Relationship Bloodbath’)

• If you missed the extended preview of NBC’s new J.J. Abrams/Eric Kripke drama Revolution (premiering Sept. 17 at 10/9c) — first shown during Monday night’s Olympics coverage —  we’ve got it right here for you:

• The newest Homeland Season 2 trailer poses a very important and foreboding question: “If everything you had was taken away and you had nothing left to lose, what lengths would you go to for the one idea that pulled you through?” The Showtime series returns Sept. 30th at 10/9c.

• Fox is developing an adaptation of the 1996 Alex Garland novel The Beach to be written by Andrew Miller (The Secret Circle), per Deadline. The book was previously made into a movie starring Leonardo DiCaprio and directed by Danny Boyle.

• The Paley Center for Media’s prop-tastic Television: Out of the Box exhibit in Los Angeles is growing. Family Matters alum Darius McCrary (a.k.a. Eddie Winslow) recently donated some of his signature duds from the show. The presentation — featuring costumes, animation art, patent filings from nearly 60 years of iconic Warner Bros. programming — will run for the next three years.

• Finally, but definitely not least: Arrested Development starts filming today! Rejoice!

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

Comments (39)

• Eurgh, of all tsc actors, she grated on me the most!! :(

Comment by katy917 – August 7, 2012 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yea, I hated her on TSC but anyone coming in to help break up Forwood Iam all for

Comment by Andy – August 7, 2012 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think that was more the fault of the way the character was written – she made the most of what they gave her to do.

Comment by wordsmith – August 7, 2012 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Tonkin is awesome. Her character on TVD might have been irritating at times, but she’s easily the best actor of the ‘kid’ group. I’d actually posted awhile back, suggesting TVD pick up Tonkin, so I shouldn’t complain, but I was hoping for a bigger, possibly permanent part. She’d perfectly fit in with the Mystic Falls natives.

Comment by Temperence – August 7, 2012 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is awesome!

Comment by Aria – August 7, 2012 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! She’s perfect for the role and she was outstanding on TSC, mainly the reason why I watched because the show was nasty.

Comment by CHiddy – August 7, 2012 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And I thought it was awesome enough that they had shows on the same US channel. I hope Phoebe and Clare have scenes at some point; I’d love to see them together on screen again!

Comment by Allison P – August 7, 2012 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They’re best friends and have crazy chemistry. They will definitely have scenes!

Comment by dude – August 7, 2012 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I dont like Tyler and Caroline so I am glad Pheobe/Haley will come in for Tyler

Comment by Missy – August 7, 2012 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I welcome ANY character that comes between Tyler and Caroline. I am Klaroline FTW

Comment by Andy – August 7, 2012 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously I like the new character idea. I dont like the relationship Tylers in now so bring it!

Comment by Erin – August 7, 2012 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, Phoebe Tonkin will def shake up Vamp Diaries.

Comment by Velvet – August 7, 2012 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, I love her! I can just imagine her and Tyler having suuuch great chemistry. I really want to get on board with Tyler so hopefully this will help…and possibly make way for my favorite far-fetched couple, Stefan and Caroline. ;)

Comment by jane – August 7, 2012 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really like Tyler and Caroline, but if anything should happen to them I would be all for a Stefan/Caroline romance. Elena just doesn’t deserve Stefan at this point, IMO.

Comment by Mikaylah – August 7, 2012 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i love love love Phoebe Tonkin :)

Comment by Elyse – August 7, 2012 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy Phoebe Tonkin is coming to TVD! She was the best thing about TSC but even she couldn’t get me to keep watching it. I hate Forwood so anything to break them up is welcomed by me!

Comment by Lois – August 7, 2012 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love phoebe tonkin so Iam super excited about her coming to Mystic Falls!

Comment by Adam – August 7, 2012 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And there we go getting another character that will die after a few episode or will just take more screentime from the characters who already have less since season 3…

TVD needs to drop the love triangles and focus on a good and strong storyline!

Comment by Manie – August 7, 2012 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Phoebe Tonkin was the BEST part of the Secret Circle (and Faye was one of only interesting characters) i’m so glad she has another role.

Comment by zan – August 7, 2012 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooooooo! I couldn’t watch Secret Circle after I saw her “attempt” to act on that show. Ugh! She has NO acting skills whatsoever! I hope somebody snaps her head fast on Vamp Diaries.

Comment by Fire Her before you ruin TVD – August 7, 2012 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I definetly agree with you! She is pretty but she cant acting

Comment by Zeynep – April 28, 2013 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, I for one LOVE Caroline and Tyler together so I’m not happy about this. Sigh.

Comment by Susan – August 7, 2012 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should’ve had her play the same character and crossed over the two series.

Comment by JASon – August 7, 2012 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess that everyone wanting her to be on TVD got their wish!

Comment by sarah – August 7, 2012 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • H20 REUNIONNN!!!! :D i love this

Comment by luli – August 7, 2012 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly!

Comment by Summer – August 7, 2012 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so pumped for Homeland :)

Comment by Monique – August 7, 2012 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thomas Lennon as Victoria’s spurned fiance? Amazing! So stoked for the inevitable hijinks!

Comment by DL – August 7, 2012 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m getting the feeling that this Hayley character was written specifically for Phobe Tonkin. They had to get her inside TVD since many TSC fans asked for it and also after Kevin Williamson said that he wanted her in one of his shows.

Comment by Luz – August 7, 2012 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This bitch can’t act worth a lick. Ugh! Damon better kill her expediently!

Comment by Lola Graham – August 7, 2012 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think most TSC fans wanted this! Glad TVD listened! Faye was my number one reason to watch.

Comment by dude – August 7, 2012 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Actually Kevin Williamson said he loved Phoebe and would try to write her in to the show so I guess he stayed true to his word

Comment by Mick – August 7, 2012 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So she’s playing a human I assume?She’s not breaking up any ships,lol

Comment by Shaun – August 7, 2012 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ooooh, a Homeland preview! Gimme!!

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – August 7, 2012 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was cool. It took me a second to realize Mandy Patinkin was narrating. I love how the question posed seems to apply to Brody, but is more subtly about Carrie. Those two share such strange connections. Just 3 more weeks until the season 1 DVD comes out! I can make it, I can make it. Almost there.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – August 7, 2012 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There are way too many people nowadays who think that ‘plays a character I don’t like’ means ‘can’t act’. I’m just saying.

Comment by Ray – August 7, 2012 08:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! I was hoping Phoebe would jump over to TVD! I hope that they are smart enough to keep her, and not get rid of her so quickly like they did to Cassidy Freeman, though Sage was a terrible character. I imagined Phoebe with Damon, but maybe they’ll work their towards that eventually if she sticks around. She was basically the Damon of TSC.

Comment by Mikael – August 8, 2012 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Phoebe’s character + Damon!

Comment by Coombe – September 1, 2012 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post