Olympics Watch: What Was Your Favorite Moment From London 2012, Day 8?

Fast feet filled Day 8 of the 2012 Summer Olympics, as track and field competitors pounded away in pursuit of their personal best.

We saw Jamaica’s Usain Bolt, fastest man alive, breeze through his first 100-meter heat with less effort than it takes the average person to slap away a mosquito. We watched Jamaican sprinter Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce race America’s Carmelita Jeter right down to the absolute end of the women’s 100-meter finals and then take the gold in a superclose finish. And we witnessed American track star Marquise Goodwin fall to his knees in disappointment when a just-not-good-enough long jump failed to advance him to the next round of competition.

The stadium was the setting for both of our picks for the day’s notable moments, too. In the first, pals Mo Farah (a British runner who trains in the United States) and Galen Rupp (an American runner who trains with Farah in Oregon) came in first and second in the men’s 10,000-meter race. The run itself was a thing of beauty, with Farah entering the final lap as the clear leader. But Rupp’s powerful push to solidify his silver status, plus the post-race look on Farah’s face as he slapped his head incredulously and realized what had just happened, was classic. Keep in mind, the men completed the 6.2-mile effort in a little less than the time it takes to watch an episode of Community.

Then there was South Africa’s Oscar Pistorius, a double amputee who fought for the right to be able to compete with non-amputee athletes in this year’s games. It was awesome to see him crouch down in the starting blocks for the first round of the men’s 400-meter run, even better to see his prosthetic blades sail him past most of the field to grab the number two spot.

Of course, crazy/wonderful/disappointing/poignant things were happening all over London all day. Wimbledon champ Serena Williams completed a career Golden Slam (a gold medal, plus wins in all four Grand Slam tournaments) when she defeated Maria Sharapova in singles tennis. Several riders took a tumble on a slippery patch during the women’s triathlon – and sported heinous road rash for the rest of the race. And Michael Phelps got out of an Olympic pool for what might be the last time in his life.

So much to pick from — so what was your favorite moment of Day 8? Hit the comments and tell us what got your Olympic juices flowing!

1. Margaret says:

as an proud Oregonian, I was THRILLED to see Galen Rupp win silver in the men’s 10,000m, especially with his training partner Mo Farah winning gold. it’s been 50 years since an American man medaled in the 10,000, & Rupp was the perfect guy to break the drought. excited to see those 2 guys go head to head again at the end of the week in the 5000, along with the legendary Bernard Lagat. go USA!!

• JudyVee says:

Oh, The 10,000m, for sure! I’ve never been that excited or thrilled about that event! A thing of beauty. Seeing Galen’s performance at the Trials in Eugene was fantastic and then watching the two friends (who train together in Oregon) support each other in that race was just the best. I look forward to the 5k with glee!

• E says:

That was one of my favorites of the games thus far. It helped that it was live so it was an event that unfolded in front of me. I’ve managed a few evenings unspoiled, but it seems like much of the “drama” was already gone for many events and I’m TRYING to stay unspoiled. But the 10,000 was great.

2. gailer says:

Michael Phelps winning gold (again) in his last race

3. tvaddict says:

Loved Team USA winning 4X100 medley relay. Especially since I am in love with Nathan Adrian. Let’s start to obsess with him now that Phelps is retiring

• carlieismurphsmom says:

Everything I was going to say. Lovingly putting away my Phelps Phan shirt in anticipation of my ode to Nathan shirt arriving shortly after I order it!

• Eliza says:

I loved it too! And don’t even get me started on Nathan Adrian….he’s all-around awesome.

• Lorie says:

Ditto! In fact, my new desktop background is of Nathan and his beautiful smile.

4. TMW says:

Jessica Ennis’ win in the Heptathlon, with William and Kate cheering her on. And the US men, including Phelps, winning the 4X100 relay.

• Beth T says:

These are my two picks as well. :)

• jen says:

CTV in Canada showed the entire medal ceremony, including the entire stadium singing along to God Save the Queen. It was amazing. NBC of course showed all of 10 seconds of it. And muted the crowd. Oh NBC, you are so predictable.

5. Annie says:

Oscar Pistorius run was a joy to watch.

6. Olivia says:

Canada winning gold was an amazing moment, I thought. :D

7. Annie says:

I can’t forget about Serena winning the singles crown, and then playing doubles an hour later. I don’t understand why tennis is in the Olympics, but it was awesome to see how happy she was.

8. Antony says:

Team GB 6!!!! golds in one day awsome.

9. Easy, Phelps going out like a boss. I’m not sure we will ever see such a dominate Olympian again in my lifetime. Second place goes to the women’s relay. Thy just keep setting WR’s. Great to see Serena win a gold. And last, but not least, to see a disabled man run in the Olympics and advance.

10. Amanda says:

Oscar Pistorius and Jessica Ennis made me very emotional today. First times I cried during the games.

11. Eric says:

Serena winning gold!!!

12. fifi says:

Oscar Pistorius making the semi-finals was such an amazing moment! It brought tears to my eyes. It was inspiring to watch him run

13. Hodan says:

Mohamed Farah winning gold was a moment of beauty. First Somali-born in a long time to win a gold medal at the olympics. Very proud of him.

14. laura says:

Team GB Dominating in the Velodrome – has NBC actually shown ANY footage from inside the Velodrome? All golds have gone to Team GB (except for one where they were penalized for a bad change over – but still set a new world record in their race off). Its amazing!

15. Colin says:

The amazing atmosphere in the stadium last night as the British team grabbed 3 gold medals in an hour. 80 000 people screaming, singing and chanting, reaching a crescendo with Farah’s win….

16. Britta Unfiltered says:

Oscar Pistorius. I can’t stop thinking about it. I hadn’t heard an amputee would be running in the Olympics. I must be living on Mars with my fingers in my ears and my eyes shut after all. I was just watching the Olympics in an offhand way this morning while I put on makeup getting ready to take my cat to the vet, and then all of a sudden there’s this guy on screen wearing blades for legs getting ready to race on the track. (I apologize if I don’t know the right terminology.) It was the last thing I was expecting to see there, and it blew my mind. Especially as he ran his way into 2nd place. Needless to say, my cat was late to her vet appointment. I had to keep rewinding and watching over and over again. His performance will be the historical defining moment of these games, and I’m thrilled I’ll be able to tell my grandchildren one day that I watched it happen.

17. George says:

Serena Williams crip walking after winning gold!

18. Sophie says:

Team GB’s most successful day in the Olympics since 1908!!! Ennis, Rutherford and Farah within an hour of each other! So exciting! And Murray and Robson making it through to the final in the mixed doubles!

19. David says:

Well the pick of the golds Team GB won it has to been the lady’s pursuit team. Who had 6 rides and 6 world records……almost lapping the Americans in the final. Amazing….congrats!!

20. Ella says:

Hands down it was Michael Phelps and the men winning the 4×100 medley relay to be sure…..but NBC really annoyed me with their lack of coverage afterwards. Like come on, I wanted to see the victory lap he took around the pool, him being presented with that special award. Goodness knows we knew it happened but NBC didn’t show it! So does anyone know where the video might indeed be ;-)

21. Ella says:

Once I discovered about NBC’s special Phelps interview, I figured that was when they would show the coverage–they better, that is all I have to say =D

22. llws88 says:

For me it was seeing Farah and Ennis come through with the Golds!!