Olympics Watch: What Was Your Favorite Moment From London 2012, Day 8?

Get More: Recaps, Sports

Fast feet filled Day 8 of the 2012 Summer Olympics, as track and field competitors pounded away in pursuit of their personal best.

We saw Jamaica’s Usain Bolt, fastest man alive, breeze through his first 100-meter heat with less effort than it takes the average person to slap away a mosquito. We watched Jamaican sprinter Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce race America’s Carmelita Jeter right down to the absolute end of the women’s 100-meter finals and then take the gold in a superclose finish. And we witnessed American track star Marquise Goodwin fall to his knees in disappointment when a just-not-good-enough long jump failed to advance him to the next round of competition.

The stadium was the setting for both of our picks for the day’s notable moments, too. In the first, pals Mo Farah (a British runner who trains in the United States) and Galen Rupp (an American runner who trains with Farah in Oregon) came in first and second in the men’s 10,000-meter race. The run itself was a thing of beauty, with Farah entering the final lap as the clear leader. But Rupp’s powerful push to solidify his silver status, plus the post-race look on Farah’s face as he slapped his head incredulously and realized what had just happened, was classic. Keep in mind, the men completed the 6.2-mile effort in a little less than the time it takes to watch an episode of Community.

Then there was South Africa’s Oscar Pistorius, a double amputee who fought for the right to be able to compete with non-amputee athletes in this year’s games. It was awesome to see him crouch down in the starting blocks for the first round of the men’s 400-meter run, even better to see his prosthetic blades sail him past most of the field to grab the number two spot.

Of course, crazy/wonderful/disappointing/poignant things were happening all over London all day. Wimbledon champ Serena Williams completed a career Golden Slam (a gold medal, plus wins in all four Grand Slam tournaments) when she defeated Maria Sharapova in singles tennis. Several riders took a tumble on a slippery patch during the women’s triathlon – and sported heinous road rash for the rest of the race. And Michael Phelps got out of an Olympic pool for what might be the last time in his life.

So much to pick from — so what was your favorite moment of Day 8? Hit the comments and tell us what got your Olympic juices flowing!

Comments (34)

• as an proud Oregonian, I was THRILLED to see Galen Rupp win silver in the men’s 10,000m, especially with his training partner Mo Farah winning gold. it’s been 50 years since an American man medaled in the 10,000, & Rupp was the perfect guy to break the drought. excited to see those 2 guys go head to head again at the end of the week in the 5000, along with the legendary Bernard Lagat. go USA!!

Comment by Margaret – August 4, 2012 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, The 10,000m, for sure! I’ve never been that excited or thrilled about that event! A thing of beauty. Seeing Galen’s performance at the Trials in Eugene was fantastic and then watching the two friends (who train together in Oregon) support each other in that race was just the best. I look forward to the 5k with glee!

Comment by JudyVee – August 5, 2012 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That was one of my favorites of the games thus far. It helped that it was live so it was an event that unfolded in front of me. I’ve managed a few evenings unspoiled, but it seems like much of the “drama” was already gone for many events and I’m TRYING to stay unspoiled. But the 10,000 was great.

Comment by E – August 6, 2012 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael Phelps winning gold (again) in his last race

Comment by gailer – August 4, 2012 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved Team USA winning 4X100 medley relay. Especially since I am in love with Nathan Adrian. Let’s start to obsess with him now that Phelps is retiring

Comment by tvaddict – August 4, 2012 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Everything I was going to say. Lovingly putting away my Phelps Phan shirt in anticipation of my ode to Nathan shirt arriving shortly after I order it!

Comment by carlieismurphsmom – August 4, 2012 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved it too! And don’t even get me started on Nathan Adrian….he’s all-around awesome.

Comment by Eliza – August 5, 2012 01:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto! In fact, my new desktop background is of Nathan and his beautiful smile.

Comment by Lorie – August 5, 2012 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jessica Ennis’ win in the Heptathlon, with William and Kate cheering her on. And the US men, including Phelps, winning the 4X100 relay.

Comment by TMW – August 4, 2012 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • These are my two picks as well. :)

Comment by Beth T – August 4, 2012 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • CTV in Canada showed the entire medal ceremony, including the entire stadium singing along to God Save the Queen. It was amazing. NBC of course showed all of 10 seconds of it. And muted the crowd. Oh NBC, you are so predictable.

Comment by jen – August 4, 2012 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oscar Pistorius run was a joy to watch.

Comment by Annie – August 4, 2012 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Canada winning gold was an amazing moment, I thought. :D

Comment by Olivia – August 4, 2012 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t forget about Serena winning the singles crown, and then playing doubles an hour later. I don’t understand why tennis is in the Olympics, but it was awesome to see how happy she was.

Comment by Annie – August 4, 2012 09:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What makes tennis any different from all the other sports in the Olympics?

Comment by Brooke – August 5, 2012 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team GB 6!!!! golds in one day awsome.

Comment by Antony – August 4, 2012 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Easy, Phelps going out like a boss. I’m not sure we will ever see such a dominate Olympian again in my lifetime. Second place goes to the women’s relay. Thy just keep setting WR’s. Great to see Serena win a gold. And last, but not least, to see a disabled man run in the Olympics and advance.

Comment by Chuck Finley (AJ) – August 4, 2012 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree with your first sentence. He was amazing, redefined swimming for generations to come!

Comment by Sha – August 5, 2012 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oscar Pistorius and Jessica Ennis made me very emotional today. First times I cried during the games.

Comment by Amanda – August 4, 2012 10:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Serena winning gold!!!

Comment by Eric – August 4, 2012 10:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oscar Pistorius making the semi-finals was such an amazing moment! It brought tears to my eyes. It was inspiring to watch him run

Comment by fifi – August 4, 2012 10:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mohamed Farah winning gold was a moment of beauty. First Somali-born in a long time to win a gold medal at the olympics. Very proud of him.

Comment by Hodan – August 4, 2012 10:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team GB Dominating in the Velodrome – has NBC actually shown ANY footage from inside the Velodrome? All golds have gone to Team GB (except for one where they were penalized for a bad change over – but still set a new world record in their race off). Its amazing!

Comment by laura – August 4, 2012 11:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The amazing atmosphere in the stadium last night as the British team grabbed 3 gold medals in an hour. 80 000 people screaming, singing and chanting, reaching a crescendo with Farah’s win….

Comment by Colin – August 4, 2012 11:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oscar Pistorius. I can’t stop thinking about it. I hadn’t heard an amputee would be running in the Olympics. I must be living on Mars with my fingers in my ears and my eyes shut after all. I was just watching the Olympics in an offhand way this morning while I put on makeup getting ready to take my cat to the vet, and then all of a sudden there’s this guy on screen wearing blades for legs getting ready to race on the track. (I apologize if I don’t know the right terminology.) It was the last thing I was expecting to see there, and it blew my mind. Especially as he ran his way into 2nd place. Needless to say, my cat was late to her vet appointment. I had to keep rewinding and watching over and over again. His performance will be the historical defining moment of these games, and I’m thrilled I’ll be able to tell my grandchildren one day that I watched it happen.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – August 4, 2012 11:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Serena Williams crip walking after winning gold!

Comment by George – August 5, 2012 01:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team GB’s most successful day in the Olympics since 1908!!! Ennis, Rutherford and Farah within an hour of each other! So exciting! And Murray and Robson making it through to the final in the mixed doubles!

Comment by Sophie – August 5, 2012 02:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well the pick of the golds Team GB won it has to been the lady’s pursuit team. Who had 6 rides and 6 world records……almost lapping the Americans in the final. Amazing….congrats!!

Comment by David – August 5, 2012 03:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hands down it was Michael Phelps and the men winning the 4×100 medley relay to be sure…..but NBC really annoyed me with their lack of coverage afterwards. Like come on, I wanted to see the victory lap he took around the pool, him being presented with that special award. Goodness knows we knew it happened but NBC didn’t show it! So does anyone know where the video might indeed be ;-)

Comment by Ella – August 5, 2012 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Know NBC, I bet they are saving that footage for their “very special” Phelps interview special before primetime coverage starts tonight. I hope so, at least, b/c we wanted to see it at my house too!

Comment by Leah – August 5, 2012 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • *Knowing

Comment by Leah – August 5, 2012 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • and the interview (which was a pretty good one by Costas aired, without the ceremony coverage, figures. #nbcfail

Comment by Margaret – August 6, 2012 12:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once I discovered about NBC’s special Phelps interview, I figured that was when they would show the coverage–they better, that is all I have to say =D

Comment by Ella – August 5, 2012 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For me it was seeing Farah and Ennis come through with the Golds!!

Comment by llws88 – August 5, 2012 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post