Emmys

Emmys 2012: What Should Win Outstanding TV Miniseries or Movie? Take Our Poll!

You’ll find a decidedly eclectic mix of nominees in the 2012 race for Outstanding TV Miniseries or Movie.

From the twisty thrills of Sherlock: A Scandal in Belgravia to the British grit of Luther, from the historical perspective of Hemingway and Gellhorn to the recent political minefields of Game Change, with a stop in the wild west (via Hatfields & McCoys)
, and the dark corners of the imagination (via American Horror Story) each of the nominees has its own distinctive perspective.

What would you do if you had the power to honor one of these programs when the Emmys are handed out in September? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite — TVLine voting closes Sept. 14, so act now! — then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every day for the next month, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor! And follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV for up-to-the-minute alerts of when our Emmy polls launch!

1. Jennifer says:

i loved American Horror Story at the start of the show but towards the end it just became horrible. Sherlock get my vote

2. Sherlock is truly a fantastic series. I highly recommend everyone watch it. You may think it would be boring, but it isn’t.

• Rrrrrr says:

I loved the first season of Sherlock, but I cannot get past A Scandal in Belgravia. Everyone sings praises for it, but I just can’t. I make it to the part where (SPOILER) Irene reveals herself to still be alive, and then I completely lose interest.

• ben says:

I’m not sure why this season 2 appears to be called ‘a scandal in belgravia’ in America. Everywhere else it’s just the name of the first episode. However, when its a series of 3 completely separate and distinct episodes, based on 3 different Holmes stories, it seems odd that you lose interest after the end of one of the stories.

• Caroline says:

It’s being called that just for the Emmys. They could only submit one of the three episodes to be considered, and Scandal in Belgravia was the one they chose.

• Emily says:

[Spoiler Alert] Actually, they lost interest in the middle of that episode. Irene revealing herself happens midway. Sherlock revealing it happens at the end.

3. Spyder says:

Luther…

4. Britta Unfiltered says:

Hard to get excited about this category as I’ve only seen Sherlock and American Horror Story. Sherlock is great, it gets my vote pretty easily, but I don’t think American Horror Story belongs in the miniseries category. I think a lot of voters will feel the same way, but I believe this is going to Game Change, not Sherlock, sadly. Maybe I would be fine with that if I actually watched Game Change, but I can’t get myself pumped up to watch a movie about Sarah Palin, no matter what angle they are taking on it, and no matter how great Julianne Moore would be in it. I just don’t care about Sarah Palin at all.

• chris says:

Not to be bothersome, but imo neither Sherlock nor Luther should belong here either, since they are both series (at least overseas).

• ben says:

@Chris – miniseries is defined quite differently in America. It can still be a series, just one with short seasons, hence a ‘mini’-series. For those Americans that don’t know, in Britain and Australasia the concept of ‘miniseries’ is generally restricted to a show with only one short run, no seasons. Otherwise most British shows would fit into the miniseries category!

• Emily says:

I’m fine with them being labeled as a miniseries, since by the time they finish, they will probably have a total episode count that is still less than what we typically consider a full season.

5. arial2 says:

Any of the others over the terrible Hemingway and Gellhorn. Even David Strathairn’s presence couldn’t make that movie work!

6. Ally says:

Hatfields & McCoys gets my vote.

7. Alan says:

sherlock. so, so much sherlock. ive never seen a better written, acted and directed show.

8. Ana Diaz says:

Sherlock rules!!

9. Dave says:

Its time for you all to move out of your moms basement and get a life.

10. nick1372 says:

I know that Missing qualified as a miniseries, so does anyone know if Terra Nova and Alcatraz qualify as well?

11. Jimmy says:

I like Sherlock and of the three episodes in series 2 A Scandal in Belgravia was the best, but Hatfields & McCoys deserves this award. Considering the ratings it pulled in over a holiday that grew with each night plus the quality acting and writing make it the most deserving.

12. Shaun says:

Why did they put Belgravia at the end of Sherlock?It was only 1 episode.This is for mini series!!

13. cfolliot says:

The 1st season of Luther was amazing, but after they all but banished the crazy chick, the 2nd season became a bit blah.

14. Do not know which strings where pulled to get American Horror Story nominated. But this is definitely NOT a miniseries and does not have the quality of any of the other nominees. Internationally Sherlock is the best television had to offer last season. Domestically Hatfield and McCoys was a real old fashion quality television event and can also be honoured for that.

15. mia says:

While I think Sherlock is one of the best examples of television as of late and it deserves every award we can throw at it, I don’t believe it should be in this category.
    Neither should AHS or Luther (or last years Downton). Just because they technically qualify, they are series that continue and are not traditional mini-series. So traditional mini-series are now having to compete against larger, more popular series and it seems unbalanced.

16. aayaan says:

american horror story.

17. Anete says:

Sherlock, the one and only. Can’t wait for the season 3. I hope that sherlock will get all the Emmy awards they have been nominated.