Vampire Diaries Boss Julie Plec Previews Season 4's Love Triangles: 'It's Not the End of Delena'

Vampire Diaries Paul Wesley Nina Dobrev Ian SomerhalderThere’ll be a lot of change ahead as Elena starts her bloodsucking journey in The Vampire Diaries‘ upcoming Season 4. But if there’s one thing you can rely on to stay the same, it’s that matters of the heart are always complicated in Mystic Falls.

Below, executive producer Julie Plec gives TVLine a status report on two of the show’s biggest love triangles — Stefan/Elena/Damon and Tyler/Caroline/Klaus — and a possible new one involving Jeremy.

RELATED | Vampire Diaries @ Comic-Con: Elena’s Transition, the Original Original Witch and More for Season 4

THE STEFAN/ELENA/DAMON OF IT ALL | Elena’s transition into a vampire – and the remembrance of all the memories Damon erased – will have big consequences for her relationships with both Salvatores. “All these things that she’s experienced with Damon and with Stefan will have different context for her as she’s becoming this new person,” previews Plec. “This circumstance, which is pretty horrific, is going to make them all care about each other even more deeply and argue even more intensely and fracture even more greatly and love as deeply as possible.”

Although Damon is back to his Season 1 ways, “it’s certainly not the end of Delena, as anyone might be afraid,” insists Plec. “In fact, in a way, it’s the beginning of the beginning.” But just because Elena now remembers Damon’s confession of love and that she met him first doesn’t mean she’ll be regretting her decision to stick with Stefan. “I wouldn’t want her to be so fickle,” says the EP.  However, the regained knowledge will “imbed itself in her brain a little bit. As she continues to look at herself and her relationship and friendship with Damon, it’s all those new pieces of information that will be important along the way.”

RELATED | Vampire Diaries Scoop: Meet Season 4’s Big Bad

Vampire Diaries Michael Trevino Candice AccolaTWO HYBRIDS AND A VAMPIRE | You may have heard that clothes will fly when Tyler and Caroline reunite. But will the hybrid actually be himself during the happy embrace, or will Klaus still be in possession of him? “You’ll just have to wait and see,” Plec replies coyly. “I definitely think that Klaus is going to unwittingly provide a little bit of mistaken identity hijinks in the first episode back.” Meanwhile, a fresh face who has “a history” with Tyler will arrive. “We’ll start to understand that this is a friend of his, who’s been very important to him in the past,” teases Plec. So should Caroline and Tyler fans be worried? “Any time a hot, new girl comes to town, somebody’s got to be worried about something. But Tyler and Caroline have a really solid bond, a really solid relationship. So it takes somebody really special to get in the way of that.”

JEREMY, BONNIE…AND APRIL? | Could Grace Phipps’ Mystic Falls returnee, April, who shares a history with Jeremy and Elena, provide something more than friendship for the younger Gilbert? “We didn’t bring her in to be a love interest for anybody,” says Plec. “But we’re certainly open to seeing where the chemistry flies.” Meanwhile, Jer and his ex Bonnie “are very bonded to each other. In spite of having found a piece of closure in their relationship, they will continue to be drawn to each other emotionally. Whether it’s romantically or not, I can’t really say.”

The Vampire Diaries returns to The CW on Thursday, Oct. 11 at 8/7c.

1. sammy says:

When it comes to which brother Elena will end up with everyone is forgetting or missing 2 distinct tells. #1 Go back towards the end of Season 3 where Rose is telling Jeremy in the backseat of the car that while Stefan will always be good for Elena, it is Damon that challenges her and causes her to question her life and that Elena is also good for Damon. #2 In another interview, a male writer or producer said that at the end of Season 3 Elena made *a* choice, not *the* choice. So they’ve set it up and if they don’t go through with that I’m going to change the channel. Also, the show has managed in 3 Seasons to become the same old boring repetitive nonsense which ruined Supernatural but not until Season 5! Those boys need some sex and romance and TVD needs actual storylines. Crossovers!!

2. L. says:

You know whats funny? I really dont care AT ALL about the love triangles, in fact i find them pretty boring. I watch TVD just for Damon, Stefan and Klaus bc, honestly, they are a feast for the eyes, but really, the storyline is just becoming more and more annoying, I dont find Elena interesting at all (actually Defan is better then Delena or Stelena if you ask me… much more captivating) and she is pretty much the ruler of the show so..yeah, I’ll probably stop watching somewhere in the 4 season :(. And not everyone who write negative opinion are “haters” you know?

3. NEHA SALUNKE says:

I love Stefan and Elena they are too good together as they are made for each other

4. Bree-ahna says:

Nina Dobrev and Ian Somerhalder are together in real life right? And Paul Wesley and Torrey Devitto are married? Elena and Stefan have been together practicly from season 1. It is time for Damon and Merideth to get some revenge. :) Thats how I see it!

5. Heather says:

I am seriously getting exhausted with everyone saying they hate the Elena/Stefan/Damon love triangle of The Vampire Diaries. If you haven’t noticed the whole series is BASED upon that love triangle ultimately it comes down to Elenas FINAL choice. The book series and the TV series are based on this choice the action that’s in it all revolves around Elena and the Salvatore brothers. If you don’t like the love triangle stop watching the show.
    *Also I most definitely agree with Nicole seeing Damon and Elena in a real relationship would be pretty awesome :)

6. Darlena says:

I am really disappointed in Julie Plec’s writing:
    1st YET ANOTHER VAMPIRE HUNTER already.
    2nd The way she has vampires falling in and out of love…it’s suppose to be FOREVER…like when Caroline turned she was in love with Matt, now it’s Tyler and who’s next Klaus or possibly Stefan (because now Stefan and Caroline are getting a little to close for my liking)
    3rd Jeremy should have stayed away permanently.
    4th I don’t like that she killed Alaric off, she should have just let him leave town.
    5th Damon shared blood with Elena and now she’s having dreams about him but excuse me didn’t Vickie drink his blood…so why didn’t she dream of him too?.
    6th Let Bonnie be the powerful witch she can be.
    AND
    7th Why are all of them such goody two shoes…spice it up!

7. Romelia says:

I think it was a big mistake for Elena to choose Stefan yeah I get he was her first love and everything but he’s never really been their when she need him he did tried to kill her I don’t think it fair that Damon always has to be second best

8. aisha says:

its driving me crazy not knowing who she’s going to choose. I like Stefan and I think he understands her better than Damon, he understands her heart. And you always here her calling out Stefans name whenever shes in distress and the fact that she was willing to drive back to Stefan instead of Damon when she knew Damon was in trouble says something.. but I also feel like she feels stefan would break / lose his humanity if she told him and that she feels she owes him something for saving her life…. ugh. This whole thing is set up in a way where its equal chance.

9. aisha says:

Damon needs to find a new love interest.

10. aisha says:

like both relationships are foreshadowed in some way lol

11. Stefanfan says:

I for one think Stefan is to good for Elena, just like with Kathrine. Her and Damon deserve each other all they ever do is think of themselves. I wish Stefan would find someone that would appreaciate him. And why does all the fans of every show have to have the actors and the people they play together. Just gets a little to creppy for me. When I know two actors are together in real life and on film just seems wrong to watch them. Just like the people that have to have Robert and Kristen together just because Edward and Bella are, I had much rather know there is no attachement at all then it does not seem like you looking into there bedroom window. But that is just me, maybe everyone else in this world likes being a voyeur.